Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Game fun? Or wait for a sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

it fun, more fun than FTL. probably as fun as an xcom

got nuked for the first time today. I took out a strike group with my flagship + pals but another one was right on its tail so I popped off a nuke to even the odds. little did I know that was the only thing keeping all those cruise missile strikes from being nuke strikes. well now I know!!! it's fun to stalk the strike groups with elint. makes me feel like I am the mastermind fleet commander/duke of the last of the romani

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 6, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Game fun? Or wait for a sale?

Very fun. Worth it now, imo, though still some small things to fix if that bothers you.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Vizuyos posted:

Does anyone know what influences the chance of the fire suppression working? There's clearly something inherent to ship design that affects the chance, because it usually works on the stock ships, but literally never ever actually extinguishes fires on my armored brick no matter how many charges I pop.

I think it is location based: If the fuel tank that is burning is not close enough to any of your fire suppression units, it will keep burning no matter how many times you pop the extinguishers.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

also. heh heh high fleet :2bong:

or, if you partake while playing: "dude where's that strike group"

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vizuyos posted:

Does anyone know what influences the chance of the fire suppression working? There's clearly something inherent to ship design that affects the chance, because it usually works on the stock ships, but literally never ever actually extinguishes fires on my armored brick no matter how many charges I pop.

Does it locationally pop from where it’s placed? The only time I’ve had it fail is on the Sevastopol which I just assumed the fires were too large at the time.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Jamsque posted:

I think it is location based: If the fuel tank that is burning is not close enough to any of your fire suppression units, it will keep burning no matter how many times you pop the extinguishers.

Ah, that makes sense. Looking at the stock ships, I think you're right - all the big ships have most of their fire suppressor systems placed right next to the fuel tanks.

Meanwhile, my custom designs have them squeezed in randomly near the edges, and the offending ship doesn't have FSSes anywhere near the fuel tanks. Which is a pain in the rear end, since the game seemingly doesn't let you move multiple parts at once, and therefore I'm going to have to pull this entire ship apart one piece at a time to fix the issue.

This thing takes one hell of a beating as long as it doesn't catch fire, and can strip off enemy armor in a couple good focused volleys with its six 130mm guns and then mulch the insides with six CIWS guns.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Vizuyos posted:

Do you have enough systems? How many tonnes per supressor

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Vizuyos posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Looking at the stock ships, I think you're right - all the big ships have most of their fire suppressor systems placed right next to the fuel tanks.

Meanwhile, my custom designs have them squeezed in randomly near the edges, and the offending ship doesn't have FSSes anywhere near the fuel tanks. Which is a pain in the rear end, since the game seemingly doesn't let you move multiple parts at once, and therefore I'm going to have to pull this entire ship apart one piece at a time to fix the issue.

This thing takes one hell of a beating as long as it doesn't catch fire, and can strip off enemy armor in a couple good focused volleys with its six 130mm guns and then mulch the insides with six CIWS guns.
Ooo, love the hidden dick

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I had to wean myself off of using the automatic dialogue to send in strike forces to take cities now that my direct combat ships are slower than my tankers. That being said, small deathcubes are 100% worth it.

They patched the campaign bonuses to not accumulate anymore, which makes sense. Cost now matters again.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

BrotherJayne posted:

Ooo, love the hidden dick

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Panzeh posted:

I had to wean myself off of using the automatic dialogue to send in strike forces to take cities now that my direct combat ships are slower than my tankers. That being said, small deathcubes are 100% worth it.

They patched the campaign bonuses to not accumulate anymore, which makes sense. Cost now matters again.

I’d have preferred they still allow the bonus to accumulate but nerfed the amount you get quite a bit.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

TescoBag posted:

I’d have preferred they still allow the bonus to accumulate but nerfed the amount you get quite a bit.

This is my ideal too. Then again if everything is in plaintext, if I ever want to jack up my money to do a Hellfleet playthrough I could probably just mod it.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

That sucks. The bonus let you beat your head on the wall until you broke through, hope they make it a toggld

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Okay, how are you supposed to do planes.

I got the drop on two early game strike groups sitting together on the ground, hit them with 3 Wasps worth of fighter-bombers with 122mm rockets and traded 9/14 planes in the strike for 2/5 aux cruisers. It's probably a better result than throwing 18,000 gold of intrepid mk2 at them in a ramming maneuver would have been, but still... that's it?

Also, boo to the bonus funding change. I only have 3 wasps to play with because i got within a hair of winning last run. (Killed both missile carriers and 4/5 SG, but I just ran out of ships to cover a compass point and the last one sidled up and slid two nukes into Khiva)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ceebees posted:

Okay, how are you supposed to do planes.

I got the drop on two early game strike groups sitting together on the ground, hit them with 3 Wasps worth of fighter-bombers with 122mm rockets and traded 9/14 planes in the strike for 2/5 aux cruisers. It's probably a better result than throwing 18,000 gold of intrepid mk2 at them in a ramming maneuver would have been, but still... that's it?

Also, boo to the bonus funding change. I only have 3 wasps to play with because i got within a hair of winning last run. (Killed both missile carriers and 4/5 SG, but I just ran out of ships to cover a compass point and the last one sidled up and slid two nukes into Khiva)

If you want to blow up large combatants, aerial bombs are the way to do it. The rockets are more for shooting down smaller craft.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

is there a reason to mess with the fleet HQ cities? do they dispense enemy SGs endlessly? once I take out a strike group will that mean they don't raise another one?

it feels like once you get a city to "dangerous" every strike group converges on your position and then you're sorta screwed but I'm under the impression the SGs will get more powerful the longer I play

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Marzzle posted:

is there a reason to mess with the fleet HQ cities? do they dispense enemy SGs endlessly? once I take out a strike group will that mean they don't raise another one?

it feels like once you get a city to "dangerous" every strike group converges on your position and then you're sorta screwed but I'm under the impression the SGs will get more powerful the longer I play

SGs and tactical squadrons use Fleet HQ cities as their place to refuel and repair, so as long as a Fleet HQ exists, those fleets will hang out near it. Capturing the Fleet HQ stops from them using it.

This is kind of a mixed bag because it forces them closer together since more of them now share a different Fleet HQ, but there's a story event anyway that recalls all surviving Fleet HQs to Khiva.

A "Dangerous" city that doesn't have an active Fleet HQ can be very hard for those fleets to reach.

I think on a map with no surviving Fleet HQs, the outer cities may be completely safe regardless of their danger status once all the strike groups are in Khiva. Or you can just kill the strike/tactical groups.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 7, 2021

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

SGs and tactical squadrons use Fleet HQ cities as their place to refuel and repair, so as long as a Fleet HQ exists, those fleets will hang out near it. Capturing the Fleet HQ stops from them using it.

This is kind of a mixed bag because it forces them closer together since more of them now share a different Fleet HQ, but there's a story event anyway that recalls all surviving Fleet HQs to Khiva.

A "Dangerous" city that doesn't have an active Fleet HQ can be very hard for those fleets to reach.

I think on a map with no surviving Fleet HQs, the outer cities may be completely safe regardless of their danger status once all the strike groups are in Khiva. Or you can just kill the strike/tactical groups.

400 IQ thinking.

Step 1. Take fleet HQ

Step 2: hide in the desert with the big boys.

3. Have a small strike team make a nearby town go dangerous and attract an SG

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oh neat (late game spoiler) it's possible to recruit the governor if you take a certain path in your dialog with him. Naturally his ship comes with him

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Has anyone tried an X-shaped ship? It seems way better than a big box.

Something like this for example can comfortably fit six one-ammo guns and it has a significantly more concentrated center of mass, so it has fantastic maneuverability and suffer as much from blackouts - you're not constantly fighting against your own momentum.

(It's very very fragile though. Like one missile and it's done.)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 7, 2021

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Has anyone tried an X-shaped ship? It seems way better than a big box.

Something like this for example can comfortably fit six one-ammo guns and it has a significantly more concentrated center of mass, so it has fantastic maneuverability and suffer as much from blackouts - you're not constantly fighting against your own momentum.

(It's very very fragile though. Like one missile and it's done.)

Interesting idea, but with a consumption rate of 400t, you'd probably be better off fielding something with a bit more armor. Actually a problem in general I'm finding with speed builds is that they're extremely risky, with very little ways to capitalize on that speed in a interesting ways unfortunately; at least in a way that doesn't also handicap your speed in some way.

E: Especially considering they're so stupidly vulnerable to cruise missiles and fighter jets.

E2: Especially especially since ship drop bombs do so little damage and are so extremely hard to find. I don't think I've ever seen them in a shop.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 7, 2021

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Okay so I just went into a shop and saw a 300mm incendiary round for sale which, uuuuuh, what in the world? I thought that the shipbuilder had basically all the parts unlocked but 300mm incendiary rounds imply the existence of a secret player-usable 300mm cannon. Anybody seen something similar?

e: take a look at this ginormous round, I really really really want to see the gun that uses this thing

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 7, 2021

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

This game is hard as gently caress but I like the style. It is very post WWI Rusiian civil war

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

Okay so I just went into a shop and saw a 300mm incendiary round for sale which, uuuuuh, what in the world? I thought that the shipbuilder had basically all the parts unlocked but 300mm incendiary rounds imply the existence of a secret player-usable 300mm cannon. Anybody seen something similar?

e: take a look at this ginormous round, I really really really want to see the gun that uses this thing

i'm pretty sure it's the rocket launcher and I'm pretty sure that it sucks

edit: actually the rocket is 220, I have no idea what the 300 is for

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 7, 2021

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Welp, the baddies got me pinned and bounced probably 12 missiles and 20 aircraft off my force trying to hide in the desert, and then smoked me with two strike groups as I tried to get to a safe port. Down 5 ships and most of my cruse munitions, under 120k in cash . Starting to feel like a death spiral, and I am not looking forward to loosing my bonus

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I read the 300mm weapon is cut content, as well as some sort of skirmish mode. Maybe it'll be added back later.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

cock hero flux posted:

i'm pretty sure it's the rocket launcher and I'm pretty sure that it sucks

edit: actually the rocket is 220, I have no idea what the 300 is for

it looks like its the same kind of rocket round as the 220 launcher. So it's just that but more powerful.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Got the same, loving it, but goddamn is it challenging. I don't want it to be easy but feels like there's a steep learning curve and a lot left to you to figure out. Any basic pointers would be welcome. I think a couple areas I need to improve in are resource management and dogfights. I tend to get bogged down at locations trying to fully repair my stuff or recover morale and stick around too long. I think I might be using up too much fuel in dogfights and need to be more strategic about which units I choose to use against enemies. I can't get my head around shipbuilding or customization, looks like a loving headache.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

so uh the SGs do or do not get respawned by the cities? seems like every time I loiter a city to dangerous 3 SG come in which seems like quite a bit but I'm not really sure how many SG are on the map anyway (nor should I know, it'd be easy to figure out with captured intel points tho)

really loving the mega fast elint warning scout ships. I keep 3 of them and use em for near instant recon whenever I'm nervous about getting stalked by enemy SG. this last game I've found that planes with the biggest bombs you can find are the best way to soften SGs up/take ships out. one day I will get out a silent strike and catch em sleeping

Levin posted:

Got the same, loving it, but goddamn is it challenging. I don't want it to be easy but feels like there's a steep learning curve and a lot left to you to figure out. Any basic pointers would be welcome. I think a couple areas I need to improve in are resource management and dogfights. I tend to get bogged down at locations trying to fully repair my stuff or recover morale and stick around too long. I think I might be using up too much fuel in dogfights and need to be more strategic about which units I choose to use against enemies. I can't get my head around shipbuilding or customization, looks like a loving headache.

the game hits you with a ton of mechanics at once. I focused on one thing/tactic/whatevs per game and figured that out to deal with the overwhelming level of depth as a fresh player. feels like a totally different game each time you figure out a new bit and it all combines into a delicious smorgasbord of mechanics to master on your way to the endgame. just remember that its sorta like a rougelike, you're supposed to lose a lot and apply what you learn to future games because that's part of the core gameplay

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 7, 2021

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They do not respawn

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

pete lets you know in the briefing that there are 5 strike groups. they don't respawn

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

RE strikegroup not respawning:

:getin:

seems dumb to throw 3 SG at you right at the first city you take to dangerous but it's also making me lose repeatedly so maybe the enemy is onto something...

now I focus on trying to find the ultra heavy bombs and I will probably try to stealth my fuel purchases a little better because I think the game really really does not want you landing your whole fleet in a city to refuel since it will usually end up sending word to the governor during the fill up wait

how effective are the ship system level bombs? is that little bomb dropper corvette a good alternative to jets dropping bombs?

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 7, 2021

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I tried out the ship bombs a bit in the ship builder and found them kinda lacking for ship-to-ship combat. They're a pain to aim and use effectively, even against large ships that are slow to maneuver, but they don't seem to hit noticeably harder than a missile so they're not really worth the effort.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Levin posted:

Any basic pointers would be welcome.
go into the designer. make a ship that is just a series of giant fuel tanks with just enough engines to make it fly. make another ship that is 1 or 2 4x4 fuel tanks with enough engines to make it hit at least 600 km/h. these things end up costing like, 2-4k each and taking a couple of them allows you to drastically increase your range. the big one lets you buff the range of your entire fleet hugely, the little ones let you buff the range of your fast attack groups without slowing them down. there aren't any big tankers in the default ship list, and the fast tanker that's there has a bunch of extra electronics bolted to it that make it more expensive than it needs to be.

if you want an easy ship loadout: 4 Lightnings, 2 of those little tankers(or skylarks if you're too lazy to make them), the sevastopol, and a kormoran. Optional add-ons if you can afford them: a big tanker, a gepard, making a variant of the lightning that uses 130mm guns instead of 100mm(this is as simple as just swapping the guns out, the lightning can handle them and you can do it mid-run if you feel like it).

game start, take the sevastopol and the big tanker if you brought one, split them off, turn off their radar, and park them in the desert. if you can find a hidden city, park them there, otherwise whereever is fine as long as it's vaguely central to the group of cities you're going to be clearing out but not close enough for something to find it. Take the lightnings, the kormoran, and the little tankers and just go city to city clearing stuff out.

Lightnings are too fast to get hit by anything other than large volumes of 37mm or high calibre proxy shells, neither of which you will see going city to city. Use them for sudden strikes and you'll be able to clear loads of cities trivially by just deleting corvettes as they try to take off. Anything mid-sized can get picked apart by them as well, especially if you upgun them to 130mm. They can't take a punch, but only the biggest boys can throw enough of them to actually land any.

The Kormoran is for strike groups. It's an unkillable brick with 2 giant guns and a bunch of CIWS. It can 1v1 the Varyag with very little difficulty as soon as you realize that miniguns can reliably shoot down artillery shells if you have enough of them(and it does). It can also shoot down cruise missiles pretty easily. A strike group typically consists of a Nomad and like 3 or 4 Boreys or Archangels. So, 1 big cruiser, a few medium ones, and depending on what else is in the neighbourhood there might be some corvettes or a missile carrier around. If you fire AP from your big guns at the right angle you can very reliably take out a Borey or an Archangel in 1 shot by striking their bridge or a magazine. AP fired at the right angle can also easily hit a pretty important magazine in a Nomad and, while it won't instantly die, you will instantly cripple it. If you don't have any AP or can't get a good angle, then just hang out at long range and pound away with your big guns until everything dies while shooting down any incoming fire with your 37mm guns. You might get beat up, but with 4 lightnings to back you up(either by softening things up ahead of time or finishing things off after you retreat) you can take down strike groups without much trouble.

keep the sevastopol sort of nearby because the one thing that can screw you is if you take down a strike group and then another one shows up while you're repairing, and if that happens you'll need to be able to link up with it it so that it can bail you out, but other than that this'll carry you to khiva no problem

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

All my campaign fights so far have been either:
- dawdles that a Lightning can handle, e.g. city garrisons or transport escorts; or
- full blown desperate warfare against strike groups with the biggest things I can field

Does that change? Where do ships like the Navarin, Intrepid, Gladiator etc. even fit in the gameplay?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Back Hack posted:

E2: Especially especially since ship drop bombs do so little damage and are so extremely hard to find. I don't think I've ever seen them in a shop.

Strategic missiles, fighter airframes, and corvette bombs are really only sold at Rare Module market cities, with the ¢ symbol

E - really, if you need anything more than the most basic gear (hull, armor, engines, fuel, ammo/crew/generators), you're going to have to go to a rare modules bazaar. You can put things into that fleet's storage by right-clicking it from the shipworks screen purchase section and then fly it over to a shipyard city to install.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 7, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

Has anyone tried running this on integrated graphics?

Quoting myself as it didn't get answered. The graphics are 2D art on par with Starsector, does it really need the latest gen 3D card to play or is it worth me trying to run it on a laptop?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Ciaphas posted:

All my campaign fights so far have been either:
- dawdles that a Lightning can handle, e.g. city garrisons or transport escorts; or
- full blown desperate warfare against strike groups with the biggest things I can field

Does that change? Where do ships like the Navarin, Intrepid, Gladiator etc. even fit in the gameplay?

You start seeing heavier garrisons and stiffer opposition in general as you move up north, to the point where bringing heavier ships of your own becomes desirable. Even if you have excellent mechanics in the tactical combat, there's only so much you're going to be able to do with a pair of 100mms before a Lightning runs out of fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

This gane reminds me of anothdr russian gsme. Vangers: one for the road