Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

CoolCab posted:

it's a speculation and scarcity driving up the price rather than anything to do with value, if I understand the theory correctly? the value of the wine never changes, it would always cost a pretty similar amount of material, capital and labour to make a high end bottle of wine.

LTV doesn't discount nature as a source of value, and since aging is a natural process then it's nature adding value to the wine over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

i was searching for "leon trotsky mario" and ended up here. hths

This is part of Shintaro Kago's Odoru! Kremlin Kyuden. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you're ok with guro and jokes about rape.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

LTV doesn't discount nature as a source of value, and since aging is a natural process then it's nature adding value to the wine over time.

i don't think this is correct. gifts of nature are just that, and one of the notable things about heavy machinery is that sufficiently advanced and concentrated capital can generate so many commodities with so little wear and tear that it becomes akin to the force of a flowing river or the fertility of fresh soil

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
humans are nature tho

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
to a race of crystalline superbeings whose culture is mutually unintelligible with ours because they're the size of continents and for them a hundred years pass in an eyeblink or something, human activity would also constitute an arbitrary gift or travail of nature akin to the spread of mold or whatever

Ferrinus has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Aug 7, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Centrist Committee posted:

humans are nature tho

Marx made this exact point. Whether or not something is a natural "gift" doesn't really change the fact that it's acquiring new use values. If we're going to strictly limit this to the issue of labor time, then the value of aged wine is irrelevant.

brotha from anatha
Mar 24, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

i was searching for "leon trotsky mario" and ended up here. hths

sauce

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

you didn't even post the best one:

brotha from anatha
Mar 24, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
just gimme a goddamn magnet link ffs

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

this isn't marxism

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Trash Ops posted:

this isn't marxism
imagine waddling into the joe stalin megathread and asserting that stalin wasn't a marxist

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

so much for left unity

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

imagine waddling into the joe stalin megathread and asserting that stalin wasn't a marxist

Well, wasn't he a leninist?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZjUiKeXeOc

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Well, wasn't he a leninist?
what's the m in ml?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

R. Mute posted:

what's the m in ml?

me

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mario-Luigiism

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

milliliter

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Raine posted:

milliliter

americans will use anything to avoid the metric system

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

CYBEReris posted:

Mario-Luigiism

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

R. Mute posted:

what's the m in ml?

maximum

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Mr. Lenin

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Lumpy posted:

Mr. Lenin

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Omg Nintendo Bros. 3 is my favorite!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gulag

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

im reading caliban and the witch this week, anyone have any questions from the content or insights they wanna share?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. regarding all the pearl-clutching about how Cuba is allowing private property again:

2. on the reforms proposed and enacted under Raul Castro

(personally I find myself skeptical of these views held by Fundora. Strikes me as a liberal, but I'm throwing this in because it makes for an interesting perspective at least)

3. on the emergence of a private sector in Cuba

___

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol i had no idea there was what amounted to basically black market small business happening. it all makes a lot more sense in the context of getting out in front of it.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I have never heard the word "linen" as many times as when I started this audiobook of Capital vol. 1

time for a refresher course at work

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

remember, marx is using the equal sign as a stand-in for the phrase "is worth" or "trades for", which is why A = B and B = A mean different things in the context of the first few chapters

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Trash Ops posted:

im reading caliban and the witch this week, anyone have any questions from the content or insights they wanna share?

it's good

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Trash Ops posted:

this isn't marxism

yeah this poo poo is just margarine WAITER

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

more precisely, it does not discount nature as a source of use-values — nature is a source of wealth, but not the social relation we call "value." in this case, aging wine is better understood as a process of manufacture; it's not just grapes folks decided not to have right away, but grapes crushed and stored just so (storage costs likewise factor into its SNLT) and monitored for quality etc.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
is this actually true. i know tons of asian people pick an english name (or are given one at birth, obvsiously) when dealing with "westerners" but xi jinping being a "ryan" is way too funny

https://twitter.com/nathanattrill/status/1425350762347917316

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

is this actually true. i know tons of asian people pick an english name (or are given one at birth, obvsiously) when dealing with "westerners" but xi jinping being a "ryan" is way too funny

https://twitter.com/nathanattrill/status/1425350762347917316

i have chinese friends that have picked rad names like 'elvish', first ive heard of ryan xi though

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

"Jack" Ryan Xi, secret Clancy fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ryan Xi-crest, surely