Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are basically two types of action-looter dungeon game players. Players who find one specific thing that it really important to them that another game does better/differently than Diablo 3 and uses that to justify playing a different game… and people who play Diablo 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

If you gave up on the challenge rift earlier in the week they replaced it with a monk that actually has an offhand weapon so it can be completed.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Rutibex posted:

I have never played Diablo 3 but I started a few days ago because I was bored with the current Path of Exile league and D3 was on sale for the Switch. I have to say this game is a lot of fun! I originally avoided it because of the real money auction house and the "always online" aspect. But Neither of those things exist on the Switch version so I gave it a go. Within the first 10 levels one of these drops:

I'm playing a Wizard so this was the most absurd damage upgrade I could image. Am I extremely lucky? This seems like a league unique. Will I get to keep this once my character transfer to standard mode?

I'm not 100% sure but I'm close to 100% sure that being a seasonal gimmick it's gone as soon as the season is over. The character will transfer over into a non-seasonal character along with everything it's wearing (except for seasonal unique items). The stuff in your stash will be mailed to to you.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rutibex posted:

Comparing Diablo 3 with PoE it feels like I have escaped an abusive relationship.

GGG rolls out a crazy amount of content but it does kinda feel like they spite the players sometimes. I didn't even want to try this league after giving PoE a try several times and never getting super far in maps. D3 just rewards you and doesn't care if you're super duper powerful.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm not 100% sure but I'm close to 100% sure that being a seasonal gimmick it's gone as soon as the season is over. The character will transfer over into a non-seasonal character along with everything it's wearing (except for seasonal unique items). The stuff in your stash will be mailed to to you.

Ah thats too bad I really like this staff :v: How much time is there left on this season?

Suburban Dad posted:

GGG rolls out a crazy amount of content but it does kinda feel like they spite the players sometimes. I didn't even want to try this league after giving PoE a try several times and never getting super far in maps. D3 just rewards you and doesn't care if you're super duper powerful.

Yeah its clear that all of those things I complain about are what lets GGG afford to put out a mini-expansion every 3 months. Its a trade off for sure, but right now playing D3 for the first time and everything is new I don't really notice the difference in content level

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I like them both but man the ragdoll physics in D3 are crazy satisfying.

Also, many lols at the idea of PoE running remotely as well on switch as D3 does. Hell of a porting job.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
PoE seems to stand for Path of Excel :) Too much to take in, I really dislike the outside trading aspect, and love the ability to respec at any time in D3. Can play the character I want to play depending on my mood.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Ah thats too bad I really like this staff :v: How much time is there left on this season?

Those are called “ethereals” and they’re the seasonal mechanic this season, the devs have said that these ones are not getting integrated into non-seasonal once the season ends. You’ll still have them on your standard character, they won’t get scrubbed from your inventory at seasons end, you just won’t be able to find new ones. The season is less than a month old I think so there’s probably 8-12 weeks left.

The auction house was removed from the PC version like a decade ago, before the reaper of souls expansion.

Path has some very nice things & making a build that works and tweaking it is very rewarding, but even with the new 10-act structure it’s such a pain to run through. I also just wish you auto-picked up wisdom and TP scrolls.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

-No trap builds. From what I can see there is no way to make a useless ineffective character in D3

owl_pellet posted:

If you gave up on the challenge rift earlier in the week they replaced it with a monk that actually has an offhand weapon so it can be completed.
Lmao

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you plan to play non-season at all you'll eventually need to play the campaign to completion exactly once to unlock all the things. Seasonal characters bypass this filter but people on fresh accounts that jump straight into a season get caught off guard by that when the season ends.

The quirks of loot drops work in d3 basically made it so you had pretty good odds of getting a low level version of that ethereal while leveling which will just rocket propel you up to 70.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

This seems to be a pretty good guide for anyone who wants an easy way to get all the ethereal transmogs.

https://youtu.be/dFz9_yo5EP4

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It is, my first run netted me one already-had eth and a new one. The most time consuming part was it taking a total of 7 act 2 caches to get the boots, lol.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

chaosapiant posted:

Which skill is Grim Harvest? I tried setting up a necro build and found them all slow and unwieldy.

I just looked it up and I meant the passive skill Dark Reaping. It combos with my Ethereal Scythe to essentially provide me with infinite essence

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dysgenesis posted:

This seems to be a pretty good guide for anyone who wants an easy way to get all the ethereal transmogs.

https://youtu.be/dFz9_yo5EP4

This is filthy. I love it

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Dameius posted:

If you plan to play non-season at all you'll eventually need to play the campaign to completion exactly once to unlock all the things. Seasonal characters bypass this filter but people on fresh accounts that jump straight into a season get caught off guard by that when the season ends.

The quirks of loot drops work in d3 basically made it so you had pretty good odds of getting a low level version of that ethereal while leveling which will just rocket propel you up to 70.

For the record, if you find somebody with the Malthael waypoint they can start a game, then you jump in and do the fight with them and adventure mode unlocks.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Rutibex posted:

This is filthy. I love it

Its always great when gamers do things that are "not intended".

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Chakan posted:

Those are called “ethereals” and they’re the seasonal mechanic this season, the devs have said that these ones are not getting integrated into non-seasonal once the season ends. You’ll still have them on your standard character, they won’t get scrubbed from your inventory at seasons end, you just won’t be able to find new ones. The season is less than a month old I think so there’s probably 8-12 weeks left.

From the season patch notes, re: ethereals:

“Ethereals only drop in Seasonal play, and will not transfer to your non-seasonal character when the season ends.”

You don’t keep them when the season is over, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Necromancer set dungeons are all basically faceroll easy. I just did all 4 of them on my 1st or 2nd try and the builds I looked up were worse than the ones I used, it took me maybe two hours, and that including picking out and gearing all my builds.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sounds like a waste of 2 hours.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Russad posted:

From the season patch notes, re: ethereals:

“Ethereals only drop in Seasonal play, and will not transfer to your non-seasonal character when the season ends.”

You don’t keep them when the season is over, so enjoy it while it lasts.

I do remember that, I must've just been fogged when I posted that this morning, thanks for the correction!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Suburban Dad posted:

Sounds like a waste of 2 hours.

Actually sir I believe you'll find that according to my new wings and pennant I am a Master Necromancer. A sunday afternoon well spent :gaming:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
You do get to keep the transmogs for them but imo bothering to spend a couple of hours farming all of them is insane. Luckily I have an incredibly diseased mind so I'm going to do that.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I would bet money they keep eths in the game after this season. Like why would they even care at this point?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Field Mousepad posted:

I would bet money they keep eths in the game after this season. Like why would they even care at this point?
They've been doing these sorts of temporary gimmicks for a couple years now and they didn't keep any of them afterward.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Ain't that a bitch, the first eth I find on my Wizard alt is one of the Barb ones Q_Q

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Incoherence posted:

They've been doing these sorts of temporary gimmicks for a couple years now and they didn't keep any of them afterward.

I'm pretty new to the game so I was super confused when people in d3 discords were absolutely certain they were going to abandon the followers upgrade immediately after the end of last season.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm pretty new to the game so I was super confused when people in d3 discords were absolutely certain they were going to abandon the followers upgrade immediately after the end of last season.

They stated that the followers change was permanent.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

owl_pellet posted:

Ain't that a bitch, the first eth I find on my Wizard alt is one of the Barb ones Q_Q

I already found a second one and I'm only level 25 now :v: The Oculus!
https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/The_Oculus_(Diablo_III_Ethereal)

It does more DPS, but not as good as the first one I found because it doesn't have the modifier that summons tornado when I use the ice beam :black101:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
We also got the Legacy of Dreams gem in the patch following the season boost thay applied the Legacy of Nightmares effect on all characters. That's as close as we've gotten to an outright season bonus becoming a permanent fixture.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm leaning towards them replacing the eths with another completely wacky, power-spiking seasonal gimmick and continuing that going forward.

Or maybe they'll bake in a random chance for ancient weapons to roll a passive.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

A vault run with an ancient puzzle ring is the most insane poo poo ever. I'm on TXIII and I got ~400m gold, ~20 each of imperial and marquise versions of all the gem types, ~300 death's breaths, an ethereal, and I had to go back to town twice to shard junk in my inventory.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Don't forget to throw a Broken Crown on your dude!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wait, Puzzle Ring upgrades upgrade the Vault contents??

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i've never found a primal one but the ancient ones gives you a fuckload more goblins in each area for starters. I haven't noticed a significant increase in other loot but the goblins are more than enough imo

Also is there any reason to do cow levels apart from the funny sound effects? I have a huge stash of cow spears but no idea why i'd bother using them it just seems like you kill a bunch of dudes and get some extremely underwhelming chests at the end

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If anyone has a Youtube video or .mp3 of the Not the Cow Level soundtrack, please PM me or link it here. It's the best track in Diablo III.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

i've never found a primal one but the ancient ones gives you a fuckload more goblins in each area for starters. I haven't noticed a significant increase in other loot but the goblins are more than enough imo

Also is there any reason to do cow levels apart from the funny sound effects? I have a huge stash of cow spears but no idea why i'd bother using them it just seems like you kill a bunch of dudes and get some extremely underwhelming chests at the end

It’s the same as regular except every enemy is a goblin and greed drops double the loot.

Cow levels are the best for getting the gold conquest, and are great for dbs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ethereals are cool but I wish they had more meaningless affixes. When I scroll over them I want my entire screen to fill up with +1 Light Radius and +6-7 Fire Damage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Both of my good Ethereals rolled with Lost Time :(

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Bust Rodd posted:

Both of my good Ethereals rolled with Lost Time :(

It's okay buddy, I'm on like my fifth ethereal and haven't gotten a useful one yet. One was actually hurtful to my build.

I'll be damned if I don't use them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It's also ~dark~ inside the vault when you use an ancient ring