Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Starfleet Medical's lowest covered tier of breast reduction surgery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tighclops posted:

It's T'Pol. T'Pal makes her sound like an anthropomorphized cartoon character. T'Pal the Friendly Vulcan, coming to Lower Decks this fall

Meet our new transportation officer, Lt. T'Bob.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Why do so many people think that replicators conjure food for nothing? They can't break the basic laws of physics. They need energy to work, they can't conjure matter out of nothing so they need a supply of some raw material to convert into food. In Voyager they even talk about "replicator rations". Having replicators means that you don't have to bother with kitchens or food storage, which might be practical for certain environments like starships.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's entirely possible to create matter from energy, there's nothing violating the laws of physics about that. It would be vastly more energy efficient to re-arrange existing matter instead of creating it so presumably that's what they do most of the time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

It's entirely possible to create matter from energy, there's nothing violating the laws of physics about that. It would be vastly more energy efficient to re-arrange existing matter instead of creating it so presumably that's what they do most of the time.

When you're at the point of harnessing quantum singularities for power do you care about efficiency?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Grand Fromage posted:

Isn't this canon? In TNG they talk about the replicators taking pre-existing matter and rearranging it into consumables

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Grand Fromage posted:

It's entirely possible to create matter from energy
And it requires ENORMOUS amounts of energy to create a little bit of matter. Remember e=mc^2? Whichever way you cut, replicators are costly to use. Star Trek is not a post-scarcity setting. Rather I think their society just distributes resources more fairly and equitably. You don't see any poor people and you don't see any mega-rich people either.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 8, 2021

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

HIJK posted:

Isn't this canon? In TNG they talk about the replicators taking pre-existing matter and rearranging it into consumables

It’s pretty good, for poo poo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How much matter can you create with the amount of energy it takes to go at warp 6 for two hours?

My point being that we have no idea how much energy a starship produces. But we also know that replicated apples are literally made from poo poo, and certain things can't be replicated (latinum, dilithium, biomemetic gel, etc).

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
It's just more drat efficient to carry some raw material rather than convert energy into matter, because then you're consuming the ship's fuel for that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

When you're at the point of harnessing quantum singularities for power do you care about efficiency?

The more energy you're handling, the more important efficiency is. Even in our time the difference between a successful rocket launch and a devastating explosion is a razor thin margin. Even when things aren't spontaneously disassembling, inefficiencies mean heat, and that stuff is hard to get rid of in space.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Star Trek ships have a limitless supply of energy until the plot demands the ship lose power, then all of a sudden the whole ship is running on about four AA batteries.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kurzon posted:

It's just more drat efficient to carry some raw material rather than convert energy into matter, because then you're consuming the ship's fuel for that.

Maybe it's like the light in your car. Who the gently caress cares if it's on or off, it's not going to affect the engine that's propelling you and your trailer full of trash at 100kmph.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ultimately you'd be able to make as much matter as the matter + antimatter you're reacting to create the energy, minus losses for efficiency/other systems. My assumption's always been that the replicators can do that if necessary but 99% of the time they're recycling waste or tapping into tanks of raw elements.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Isn't there a constant reaction occurring in the reactor with enough energy output to power FTL travel? Seems like they need to do something with that energy when they're not at warp, might as well summon cookies.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The reaction's always going to power the ship, but they can throttle the reaction depending on how much power they need. It's not always running at full output.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Roddenberry's depiction of Warp engines is heavily based off of his experience with WWII steam propulsion.

I'll just let you chew on that one for a while.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

To jump back to an old conversation the Narada originally looked like a functional little mining ship.

Honestly I'm sad Nero basically got caught out of the movie because he absolutely could have been a good villain if they told his backstory. He was one the Senate as the representative of the mining guild, and he was one of the only people to believe Spock's claims about a supernova in another system being able to destroy Romulus. He and his crew go on to mine this element at great risk, they get shot up by a bunch of Remans, and only get a small amount of what they need. They travel with Spock to Vulcan....only for the Vulcan Science Academy to tell them to piss off, they voted and are happy to let Romulus die. Spock starts doing Spock poo poo and eventually he makes it...but Nero has already left. Nero's ship returns home to Romulus for a first hand seat at it's destruction.

At this point Nero is loving pissed. He destroys the Senates evacuation shuttle, the Senate who was happy to not do poo poo while he did all the work. He's pissed at the loving Vulcans who turned their back on their cousins when he was one of the few people willing to cooperate. He just snaps. He goes to the Vault and thanks to the Tal Shiar commander also losing his family, they outfit the Narada, as it's the only ship there, with all their researched Borg ship because gently caress it, let's get some revenge. Nero set course from Vulcan but he was intercepted by a fleet and that eventually lead to him getting sent back to the past.

Anyway the point is there actually was substance to Nero and he could've been great, if they actually put any of that poo poo in the loving movie. :argh:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Eimi posted:

To jump back to an old conversation the Narada originally looked like a functional little mining ship.

Honestly I'm sad Nero basically got caught out of the movie because he absolutely could have been a good villain if they told his backstory. He was one the Senate as the representative of the mining guild, and he was one of the only people to believe Spock's claims about a supernova in another system being able to destroy Romulus. He and his crew go on to mine this element at great risk, they get shot up by a bunch of Remans, and only get a small amount of what they need. They travel with Spock to Vulcan....only for the Vulcan Science Academy to tell them to piss off, they voted and are happy to let Romulus die. Spock starts doing Spock poo poo and eventually he makes it...but Nero has already left. Nero's ship returns home to Romulus for a first hand seat at it's destruction.

At this point Nero is loving pissed. He destroys the Senates evacuation shuttle, the Senate who was happy to not do poo poo while he did all the work. He's pissed at the loving Vulcans who turned their back on their cousins when he was one of the few people willing to cooperate. He just snaps. He goes to the Vault and thanks to the Tal Shiar commander also losing his family, they outfit the Narada, as it's the only ship there, with all their researched Borg ship because gently caress it, let's get some revenge. Nero set course from Vulcan but he was intercepted by a fleet and that eventually lead to him getting sent back to the past.

Anyway the point is there actually was substance to Nero and he could've been great, if they actually put any of that poo poo in the loving movie. :argh:

It makes Nero much more compelling, but it also makes his personal vendetta against Spock seem even more misplaced than it was in the movie.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

A.o.D. posted:

It makes Nero much more compelling, but it also makes his personal vendetta against Spock seem even more misplaced than it was in the movie.

Yeah though that could be changed via some structural stuff. Revealing that Spock did it towards the end of the narrative, or maybe that the ship was nearly unbeatable and the only way the fleet could be saved was Spock using the red matter so it'd crush him in the black hole (and obviously time travel cause movie). I don't think it's insurmountable.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely not a fan of "everything compelling happens offscreen in supplemental material you have to pay for on top of the apparently empty movie/show/game you're already trying to consume" but yeah, all of that was pretty interesting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I really hate that he's called Nero.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HopperUK posted:

Yeah it’s so bad. I recognize Romulans are low hanging fruit all the time but gently caress, virtually any other roman name would have been better

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PerniciousKnid posted:

The Feds don't do that though; as far as I can remember, only the Romulans use singularities for power generation.

So for most Trek spacefarers, even assuming 100% efficiency, creating mass from nothing would cost half the equivalent mass in antimatter; e.g. creating a kilogram of food would require using half a kilogram of antimatter.

How much food does the crew eat each day, and how much antimatter can the ship carry? Surely there's, at minimum, a range advantage to not consuming tons of antimatter just to produce matter from energy.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

HopperUK posted:

HE HAS TATTOOS THATS CHARACTER

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Feds don't do that though; as far as I can remember, only the Romulans use singularities for power generation.

So for most Trek spacefarers, even assuming 100% efficiency, creating mass from nothing would cost half the equivalent mass in antimatter; e.g. creating a kilogram of food would require using half a kilogram of antimatter.

How much food does the crew eat each day, and how much antimatter can the ship carry? Surely there's, at minimum, a range advantage to not consuming tons of antimatter just to produce matter from energy.

It just seems really unlikely to me that the energy consumed by the crew via food is remotely comparable to the energy consumed traveling FTL, even given the inefficiency of digesting food as a fuel.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

It just seems really unlikely to me that the energy consumed by the crew via food is remotely comparable to the energy consumed traveling FTL, even given the inefficiency of digesting food as a fuel.

If you're creating matter from energy, it doesn't matter what you're creating. A kilo of pie is going to cost you half a kilo of antideuterium and half a kilo of deuterium in the warp core, and that's if it's 100% efficient which it won't be.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

All food is created from poo poo, it's just usually not as direct a process.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kurzon posted:

Star Trek is not a post-scarcity setting.

The Federation, and any of their peer states, are unambiguously post-scarcity societies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ashpanash posted:

All food is created from poo poo, it's just usually not as direct a process.

That's why you have Bolians on board. They anti-poo poo

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

HIIIIIIIII CHRISTOPHER MY NAME IS NERO :haw:

EDIT: also one of my favorite fights is the fight on Empok Nor between Miles O'Brien and Garak while the latter is hopped up on Cardassian combat meth.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 9, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I'm definitely not a fan of "everything compelling happens offscreen in supplemental material you have to pay for on top of the apparently empty movie/show/game you're already trying to consume" but yeah, all of that was pretty interesting.

It seems to be a recurring tend with big franchise movies made by JJ Abrams that the corporation behind them later have to come long and publish ~$200 worth of supplementary material that explains, clarifies, or just add in the missing steps in the thought process between points A, B, and G because the movie itself doesn't seem to make any sense without them. I wonder why? What's the consistent factor here? :thunk:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

skasion posted:

Yeah it’s so bad. I recognize Romulans are low hanging fruit all the time but gently caress, virtually any other roman name would have been better

Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tighclops posted:

Is there any place one could buy the risian gently caress statue for a reasonable price

Quark has a few spares he could probably be convinced to part with one, for enough gold pressed latinum

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
We already went over this, TNG era replicators create matter from energy, like a transporter. The wiki makes no mention of "generic food particle stores" or whatever, and the closest the person pushing the theory got to a source was that they might have read it in a non-canon technical manual sometime.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thotsky posted:

We already went over this, TNG era replicators create matter from energy, like a transporter. The wiki makes no mention of "generic food particle stores" or whatever, and the closest the person pushing the theory got to a source was that they might have read it in a non-canon technical manual sometime.

The replicators are basically alchemy boxes. Prove me wrong.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

xerxus posted:

I forgot he was drinking his own bathwater.

I mean, you could have said this without posting the screenshot.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

thotsky posted:

I don't know if it's canon, I suppose the writers of the TV shows haven't figured this stuff out. I am just saying that it makes more sense that the replicators convert some raw material to food. They don't tap the warp core for energy to convert into matter, because that would be enormously wasteful. I'm not a physicist, mind you, I'm just running on what I remember from high school.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Star Trek ships have a limitless supply of energy until the plot demands the ship lose power, then all of a sudden the whole ship is running on about four AA batteries.

People say this like it isn't true of literally anything. How much gas does the Sitcom Family's car have? How fast can the Western Hero's horse ride? How many spare mags is the Buck Private carrying? The answer is always "enough, unless the plot demands otherwise". That doesn't make basic plausibility concerns irrelevant.

thotsky posted:

The technical manuals are written by the show's professional tech wizards, the wiki is written by nerds like you and me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

thotsky posted:

We went over this and nobody convinced anyone else. I'm still firmly on the 'matter banks' side. And the tech manuals are written by Sternbach and Okuda, it's directly how they considered these things to work behind the scenes.