Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

People in Armidale/Tamworth/Byron/Newcastle/the Hunter must be fuming at Gladys about this right?

I'm sure it'll blow over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Regional NSW - instant lockdown
Sydney - let's just wait and see what happens

I know, maybe they've learned from their fuckups. But they certainly won't admit to it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08...WJhP7QZJH6NniaM

tl;dr: Lady with vertically comprssed face, thinks we should ban employers requiring jabs to work.

I agree but for diferent reasons, I think if someone who can get vaccinated refuses we should send armed goons around to hold them down and vaccinate them. That way employers dont have to make such decisions.

I mean if we're gonna do big-man meathead politics and get the loving army involved, and they can't shoot viruses, lets give them something to shoot. Its just hastening the innevitble (virusdeath)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

duck monster posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08...WJhP7QZJH6NniaM

tl;dr: Lady with vertically comprssed face, thinks we should ban employers requiring jabs to work.

I agree but for diferent reasons, I think if someone who can get vaccinated refuses we should send armed goons around to hold them down and vaccinate them. That way employers dont have to make such decisions.

I mean if we're gonna do big-man meathead politics and get the loving army involved, and they can't shoot viruses, lets give them something to shoot. Its just hastening the innevitble (virusdeath)

oh man she has a nasty case of the crazy eyes.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I think we can do a bit better than making fun of her appearance

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

Thanks both, I didn't remember it as being quite so gruesome, don't think I'll use this as a comparison for Dan currently running ads in Sydney telling them not to come to Victoria after all.

There are other versions of the image taken at different times and angles.

The one I posted was about midway in how gruesome they get.

If you feel up to it you can use that search term to find something more appropriate for your needs.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Eediot Jedi posted:

Oh poo poo regional vic open from 11:59 tonight. Unexpected.

noice.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

might go out for dinner tomorrow night.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
I am conflicted on mandatory vaccinations. I agree everyone should get one, and all methods to encourage or bribe deployed. But mandating it, or saying your existing job and means of support depends on taking a medical procedure makes me very uneasy. Can it be called informed consent if you can't withhold that consent without consequences?

I understand the risk profile, and the public health aspect. But informed consent to medical procedures being a big red line was drawn with a lot of blood and suffering.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

no i'm unfairly poo poo stirring. poo poo's hosed.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

KennyTheFish posted:

I am conflicted on mandatory vaccinations. I agree everyone should get one, and all methods to encourage or bribe deployed. But mandating it, or saying your existing job and means of support depends on taking a medical procedure makes me very uneasy. Can it be called informed consent if you can't withhold that consent without consequences?

I understand the risk profile, and the public health aspect. But informed consent to medical procedures being a big red line was drawn with a lot of blood and suffering.

yes it can. you've been informed you're consenting.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

that woman's in 16:9 when she should be in 4:3

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's a moot point because we aren't going to have mandatory vaccinations.

Vaccinations being mandatory to get on an airplane or work in certain industries, sure, but there are plenty of others things in the modern world that aren't "mandatory" but which you have to do anyway because otherwise it's impossible to get by. (Bank account, mobile phone, Medicare card etc). If someone doesn't have a medical reason but really doesn't want to get a vaccine, well, that's fine, you're just not going to be flying to Bali or working in policing/medicine/logistics.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KennyTheFish posted:

yeah nah, you dont have to get vaccinated but you also dont have to work in <$role_that_requires_vaccination>

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

we're a right to vaccinate state.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hambeet posted:

might go out for dinner tomorrow night.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

freebooter posted:

Vaccinations being mandatory to get on an airplane or work in certain industries, sure, but there are plenty of others things in the modern world that aren't "mandatory" but which you have to do anyway because otherwise it's impossible to get by. (Bank account, mobile phone, Medicare card etc). If someone doesn't have a medical reason but really doesn't want to get a vaccine, well, that's fine, you're just not going to be flying to Bali or working in policing/medicine/logistics.

Mandatory vaccination for some professions has been standard for years - hepatitis for medical staff etc.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

KennyTheFish posted:

But mandating it, or saying your existing job and means of support depends on taking a medical procedure makes me very uneasy. Can it be called informed consent if you can't withhold that consent without consequences?

Lots of jobs including pretty much any job in healthcare already requires vaccinations as a condition of employment.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

lol

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

no jab no pay

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hambeet posted:

no jab no pay

FINE!! I've worked hard ALL MY LIFE but if you're not going to RESPECT MY BELIEFS I'll join those welfare bums living it up!!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

hooman posted:

Albo: I sleep in a franking credit, do you sleep in a franking credit Morrison?
Morrison: I sleep in a bed, with my God.

EDIT:
"A long-overdue report by the world’s climate scientists will on Monday reveal that global warming is accelerating faster than thought, with temperatures set to punch through the critical 1.5 degrees Celsius threshold by the early 2030s, a decade earlier than anticipated just three years ago."

:lol::lol::lol:

in the last few months my boomer parents have, completely on their own, started appending an unironic "which is normal" to their descriptions of the once in a century weather events happening every other week. its very lol. im like, who are you trying to convince lol

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tomberforce posted:

Mandatory vaccination for some professions has been standard for years - hepatitis for medical staff etc.

Mandatory vaccination, mandatory drug testing, mandatory training and qualifications. I mean poo poo they make us jump through these hoops all the time.

I'm wary of the government too, but mandating a vaccination against a global pandemic doesn't seem like some great red line that they're crossing and trampling our rights. Not that they would anyway, their own melted brain MPs would revolt.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Mandayory Covid vaccinations for jobs and travel doesnt bother me. The fact most most people cant even GET the loving vaccine does however.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

KennyTheFish posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ne6ipIL.mp4

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

apparently Chris Kenny offered to replace Paul Barry on Media Watch for free.

Not sure having 20 minutes of a man gratuitously loving a dog is a good move by the public broadcaster, even it it allegedly saves on staff wages.

Glad the ABC went with Jeremy Fernandez instead.

e: also Fernandez did a top job this week. Paul Barry is also great and as a fellow cyclist I have felt...a degree of his pain... and I hope he heals up soon. But I wouldn't mind Fernandez being a future replacement.

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 9, 2021

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Laserface posted:

yeah nah, you dont have to get vaccinated but you also dont have to work in <$role_that_requires_vaccination>

I'm already seeing some major multinational contacts asking us if we can support only dispatching a 100% vaccinated workforce to their sites and offices, and how do we prove it ?

Everyone is dancing around it right now, discussing method, verification and violation penalties, but it will be the new normal within a month I think.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Mandayory Covid vaccinations for jobs and travel doesnt bother me. The fact most most people cant even GET the loving vaccine does however.

GBS thread said Moderna is now approved for use.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Craig Kelly is taking a 14 day self isolation stint as well as you'd expect

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I'm fully vaxxed and I say let 'er rip

<rico.gif>

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...d-to-keep-funds

lol who could have seen this coming

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
We're going to have vaccine requirements to enter venues, licensed premises etc soon and it's going to be glorious.

"I'm only getting the jab so I can do the pokies, its all bullshit"
'sounds good grandma, now roll up your sleeve'

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Yeast posted:

We're going to have vaccine requirements to enter venues, licensed premises etc soon and it's going to be glorious.

"I'm only getting the jab so I can do the pokies, its all bullshit"
'sounds good grandma, now roll up your sleeve'

Licensetopunt.gif

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

freebooter posted:

In this context we already do have mandatry vaccinations for jobs in multiple fields. Why not expand it? Its not controversial that people have a right to a safe workspace.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Number! Go! Up!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Imagining one of those old school arcade high score screens where you can just enter the 3 initials N S W

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Thank gently caress

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 10, 2021

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
In conclusion, vaccine bookings are a land of contrasts.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Feeling depressed about the IPCC report so I finally got around to changing my super from Rest (which actively invests in coal companies) to Australian Ethical. It takes all of ten minutes to sign up, if anybody else is still using the same super fund from their first hospo or retail job:

https://www.australianethical.com.au/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Honestly I love our mercenary social service