Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Only 290s BCE kids will remember this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
should be Tesla’s cool waterwheel instead

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Love to gently caress up ecology and waste a lot of metal on a weird design for a microscopic amount of electricity

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

preparing for the collapse of power grids by refining the finest in 19th century technology

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

yesterday this was conclusively ratio'd, now the likes have just barely edged out the comments. assuming they bought some likes to try and save face because lmao

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

World War Mammories posted:

yesterday this was conclusively ratio'd, now the likes have just barely edged out the comments. assuming they bought some likes to try and save face because lmao

https://twitter.com/R_W_Gronewold/status/1424336764848807940?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

when i go to that tweet and scroll down to the algorithm-pushed tweets they're all antivax

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Shear Modulus posted:

when i go to that tweet and scroll down to the algorithm-pushed tweets they're all antivax

Any follow up tweets for any subject inevitably go;

- Hmm, interesting. I'll have to check this out further.
- Seems like shouldn't work.

30 posts later...

- Oh, and I suppose you think women shouldn't be stripped if their yooterisses at birth?! It's for the own drat good, moran. Look, all I'm saying is that when Willy Wonka (he was a real person, look it up sheeple) died in '83, he wanted to leave more than a legacy of having invented the B2 Bomber and AIDS.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Agean90 posted:

preparing for the collapse of power grids by refining the finest in 19th century technology

not a terrible idea when put like this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I like the defenders saying “it’s portable!”

All you have to do is pour a few tonnes of concrete at each site for a foundation, NBD.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Platystemon posted:

I like the defenders saying “it’s portable!”

All you have to do is pour a few tonnes of concrete at each site for a foundation, NBD.

One of the legs we have on the waterwheel classic is that we can transfer power via wires so you just a post holer to mount the wheel and don't need the apparatus

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

HootTheOwl posted:

One of the legs we have on the waterwheel classic is that we can transfer power via wires so you just a post holer to mount the wheel and don't need the apparatus

Make one with floats so it's automatically at the right height and a couple of teethers so I can tie it to 2 trees and you've got a deal.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Any follow up tweets for any subject inevitably go;

- Hmm, interesting. I'll have to check this out further.
- Seems like shouldn't work.

30 posts later...

- Oh, and I suppose you think women shouldn't be stripped if their yooterisses at birth?! It's for the own drat good, moran. Look, all I'm saying is that when Willy Wonka (he was a real person, look it up sheeple) died in '83, he wanted to leave more than a legacy of having invented the B2 Bomber and AIDS.

Lol, some people are ridiculous. Everyone knows Wonka didn't die until '84.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Make one with floats so it's automatically at the right height and a couple of teethers so I can tie it to 2 trees and you've got a deal.

The Romans put water wheels on barges in the Tiber when they were besieged in 537

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The modern version involves putting it in the back of F150 naturally

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1424801149626961942?s=20

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKH-N3mh0w

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

who will be the hacker to goatse the entire world?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/mdudas/status/1425195414597275648?s=19

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/egregirls/status/1425535030001033220

sorry, we can't do pain management with you, the algorithm says you're a junkie risk

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
lol it flags you if your loving dogs are on pain meds or if you're a cancer patient, algorithms are just newage loving phrenology and everyone who swears by them should be algorithmically sorted into taking a long walk off a short pier

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The Three Stigmata of Elon Musk

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

musk has visibly gained a ton of weight in the last few years lol

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

This is the plot to an episode of GI Joe where Cobra Commander wants to carve a cobra logo on the moon and all the other Cobra higher-ups call him an idiot

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/cobra-afteraction-report-5/

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kitfox88 posted:

lol it flags you if your loving dogs are on pain meds or if you're a cancer patient, algorithms are just newage loving phrenology and everyone who swears by them should be algorithmically sorted into taking a long walk off a short pier

They're also a way to legally discriminate! So many algorithms are treated as a mysterious box of smart decisions, but they're created with garbage training data. When United threw a suspiciously large number of Asian people off their flights, they simply announced "we do what our algorithm tells us to do" and that appeased most people. Or there was that Amazon hiring bot that learned to reject resumes that included the word "women's", "Vassar", or "Wellesley" (women-only colleges). Being rejected by an algorithm is not a protected class.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fried Watermelon posted:

The Three Stigmata of Elon Musk

- obvious hair implants
- fat
- constantly photographed with ghislaine maxwell

openai's GPT3 model that was immediately commercialized as an erotica generator is Chew-Z

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the objective function isn’t

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BIG HORNY COW posted:

This is the plot to an episode of GI Joe where Cobra Commander wants to carve a cobra logo on the moon and all the other Cobra higher-ups call him an idiot

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/cobra-afteraction-report-5/

lol i read this and it was pretty funny

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

smarxist posted:

https://twitter.com/egregirls/status/1425535030001033220

sorry, we can't do pain management with you, the algorithm says you're a junkie risk

yeah p much if you're well-off white people you get opioid painkillers for a scratch and if you're poor you get told to take tylenol after getting smashed across an intersection by a car

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Portland going cyberpunk:
https://twitter.com/wweek/status/1425509821084733443?s=20

quote:

The clubgoers are met by a heavily armed guard. He stands beneath the Hung Far Low sign, clad in a bulletproof vest and desert-tan tactical pants, with a 9 mm pistol strapped to his leg and an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle slung over his shoulder.

His name is Jean-Pierre LaFont. He’s a 45-year-old veteran who lives in Gresham. He says he did a tour of duty in Bosnia with the Navy SEALS. He’s 6 feet tall, wears black gloves outlined with white bones, and is delighted to talk about his work.

quote:

LaFont works for Ravencrest Force Protection Group. On the job, he goes by “Reaper.” His boss is codenamed “Ghost.” Their Northeast Portland firm bills itself as a private military contractor—the kind of firm that operates in war zones.

quote:

Ravencrest is one of at least three companies with armed guards patrolling Old Town’s club scene.

quote:

“There aren’t enough police officers,” says Jessie Burke, co-owner of the Society Hotel and president of the Old Town Chinatown Community Association. “We’re having to do what the government used to do. We’re kind of running an underground government to keep things safe.

quote:

Echelon Protective Services, patrols Ankeny Alley—the pedestrian plaza outside Voodoo Doughnut. Its officers, dressed in blue uniforms, carry handguns in side holsters.

quote:

Kaitlyn Dey, a homeless advocate with the Western Regional Advocacy Project, has tracked the expansion of private security in downtown Portland. She says Echelon has overstepped its boundaries by patrolling public streets.

“It seems like, increasingly, private security is starting to take over public space—which is a very alarming trend,” Dey says. “They don’t seem to be following any laws at all.”

quote:

Thirty minutes later, a burst of gunfire comes from the direction of the Boneyard. Four shots: pop-pop, pop-pop.

Police officers rush, guns drawn, up Northwest 4th Avenue. LaFont levels his AR-15, aiming into the night.
Just brushing past two armed mercs named "Reaper" and "Ghost" while I go inside and talk to my fixer about my latest shadowrun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is chinatown really the hottest nightlife neighborhood in portland? thats cool. i usually want buns when im drunk

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
portland found the solution to people bitching about cops, just offload the problem onto corporations as they are unaccountable by law. the west coast really is the home of innovation

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Portland going cyberpunk:
https://twitter.com/wweek/status/1425509821084733443?s=20

Just brushing past two armed mercs named "Reaper" and "Ghost" while I go inside and talk to my fixer about my latest shadowrun.

well I’m sure these are individuals well-trained in deescalation and not a bunch of barely stable armed men with death wishes—

quote:

He finds the work gratifying. “I’d rather die with my boots on,” LaFont says, “than die in an old folks’ home hearing Christmas carols sung by Boy Scouts.”
oh

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

With everything that Musk does it's a stupid loving idea executed stupider than you initially thought.

A small tv with a webcam pointed at it basically, using the same tech as his stupid rear end tesla car situation.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

when i see jpeg compression in the sky I'll know it's time to eat a bullet

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Can't wait for it to get hacked and goatse everyone from space

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Given those two very specific choices, I too would rather die wearing boots.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Tubgoat posted:

Given those two very specific choices, I too would rather die wearing boots.

just wear boots in the old folks home and have an entire career of discharging firearms without ear protection to cover all ur bases

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Or just go ahead and turn the gun around and pull the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Peanut President posted:

portland found the solution to people bitching about cops, just offload the problem onto corporations as they are unaccountable by law. the west coast really is the home of innovation

Porkland