Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Platystemon posted:

Divabot, how many avatars has Seraph bought you at this point?

several, but now he's started buying other people avatars

like, are avatars advertising his site a cheaper option than just buying an ad, or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Pirates treat IP better than most of its owners do.

Actually thinking pirates are doing anything wrong in any meaningful fashion is hilarious, even without the industry having completely destroyed its own credibility on the issue rather than simply adopt to new technology. It's not new either, TV networks tried to have VHS recording banned because they thought it'd hurt their profits.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pirates treat IP better than most of its owners do.

Actually thinking pirates are doing anything wrong in any meaningful fashion is hilarious, even without the industry having completely destroyed its own credibility on the issue rather than simply adopt to new technology. It's not new either, TV networks tried to have VHS recording banned because they thought it'd hurt their profits.

I'm trying to find the study, but there's a bunch of evidence that it doesn't even really hurt their profits in any reaonable way that could be defined as harm. Nearly every major hit that's been pirated still raked in record profits, and in many cases piracy only lead to more sales.

Its more they just can't stand the idea of losing a single penny that will largely be shoveled into Exec and Studio profits, never to see an actor/actress/or crews bank account.

Koumpounophilia
Aug 9, 2021

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

Artists do deserve to be paid for their work.

Wrong. Artists deserve a state-guranteed minimum standard of living like everyone else, and an initial commission for the production of a given work. After that, if the work can be freely and infinitely reproduced, say digitally, then everyone else has the right to do so and the artist should have no expectation to additional compensation for those reproductions. If they don't like it, they can go pound sand.

Intellectual Property laws are cultural cancer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Koumpounophilia posted:

Intellectual Property laws are cultural cancer.

Nobody is disagreeing but okay.

Did you join just to post this?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 9, 2021

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pirates are better at preserving media than corporations

Corporations are actively trying to not preserve the media so that they can either force you to re-buy it or pay a subscription. Big problem in games particularly, in that physical copies are rapidly disappearing and big companies like Sony don't really care about preserving access to your purchased downloads.

I'm all about supporting artists but the corporations involve are getting increasingly greedy and making it hard for me to think that money spent is a wise purchase, when they can rip the media away at will.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Music is especially egregious because it felt like we reached kind of a detente - tens of millions of us are paying a Music Tax, it gets us All The Music, and yet the RIAA still acts like paranoid maniacs worried someone's going to hear a song for free, to the point that if I post a video of myself playing something well enough on youtube I have to demonetize it.

It's discouraging as hell and if they're going to act like this no matter what, gently caress it. I'll cancel the service. Piracy and used CDs for me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Just do what Canada did and make personal use legal where piracy is concerned

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

knox_harrington posted:

I hadn't realized the Prius was so innovative until these posts. Very cool. Do they use the same system in their other hybrids?

Yes, I believe Toyota does.

drat, I wish they would just do an all-electric Prius. Their quality is so good.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Motronic posted:

It absolutely will be. I have a friend who owns a shop that does DUI interlock installs. People have to come back every month or so to have them recalibrated.

There are also huge issues with determining how much alcohol is actually in someone system using their breath. Some people simply read lower/higher than others and it's very very common.

This also does not address any other impairing substances.

The state of this technology simply isn't "there" yet.

Why not just do a quick response test with the touch screen.

If you can't get Mario past the Koopas, you can't drive.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even legal means are no way of supporting artists. Spotify is cheap and convenient but artists don't get paid poo poo unless their name is Joe Rogan.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

drat, I wish they would just do an all-electric Prius. Their quality is so good.

Would lose one of the strongest appeals of the Prius: Its range. And unfortunately, with battery tech still struggling and the only answer being chassis batteries or large battery packs, hybrids are going to be a valid solution for a long time.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even legal means are no way of supporting artists. Spotify is cheap and convenient but artists don't get paid poo poo unless their name is Joe Rogan.

That's due to the labels taking the bulk of the money that comes in if you want to be able to stream any of their music.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

People not on labels don't get poo poo either. Buying an independent artist's album for $1 on Bandcamp does more to support them than the half penny they get for hundreds of thousands of listens on Spotify.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Don't worry, there's a connected app that fixes this until it's EoL'd in three years

e: and the app is $7.95/mo

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

until it's EoL'd in three years

Whole new meaning to that terminology......

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Would lose one of the strongest appeals of the Prius: Its range. And unfortunately, with battery tech still struggling and the only answer being chassis batteries or large battery packs, hybrids are going to be a valid solution for a long time.

I lease a Kia EV that actually gets the published range (245 miles) even if I drive up mountains or hit the SoCal 80mph carpool lanes.

The Prius is so efficient (aero) that I could see 300 mile range with the same size (64kwh) battery.

I was a Toyota loyalist for decades (1997 Sienna, 2000 Echo). Only sold the Echo last year because I had a weekly San Diego to LA commute and that carpool lane saved an hour or more round trip.

I used to use Amtrak but COVID nixed that.

Last weekend when I parked the Kia next to a Tesla Model X, the owner told me that he had the standard battery and wasn't getting the range the Kia was.

I mean there's a market for this and I wish Toyota addressed it.

(Note: There are TWO Tesla Toyota Rav4's in my neighborhood). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

I lease a Kia EV that actually gets the published range (245 miles) even if I drive up mountains or hit the SoCal 80mph carpool lanes.

The Prius is so efficient (aero) that I could see 300 mile range with the same size (64kwh) battery.

I was a Toyota loyalist for decades (1997 Sienna, 2000 Echo). Only sold the Echo last year because I had a weekly San Diego to LA commute and that carpool lane saved an hour or more round trip.

I used to use Amtrak but COVID nixed that.

Last weekend when I parked the Kia next to a Tesla Model X, the owner told me that he had the standard battery and wasn't getting the range the Kia was.

I mean there's a market for this and I wish Toyota addressed it.

(Note: There are TWO Tesla Toyota Rav4's in my neighborhood). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV

The problem will still be charging them, and finding those chargers. The advantage for a hybrid electric is the ability to just use the ICE fuel when needed if you cannot find a charger.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

The problem will still be charging them, and finding those chargers. The advantage for a hybrid electric is the ability to just use the ICE fuel when needed if you cannot find a charger.

I'm fortunate to live in an area filled with charging stations as well as leasing a place where I can at least charge if need be.

Heck, there are multiple locations with free charging. The closest being a coffee shop 3 miles away. Yeah, SoCal is EV central.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

I'm fortunate to live in an area filled with charging stations as well as leasing a place where I can at least charge if need be.

Heck, there are multiple locations with free charging. The closest being a coffee shop 3 miles away. Yeah, SoCal is EV central.

That's called privilege my friend, and we have to address the non-privilaged to make this work.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Detective No. 27 posted:

People not on labels don't get poo poo either. Buying an independent artist's album for $1 on Bandcamp does more to support them than the half penny they get for hundreds of thousands of listens on Spotify.

Yes, I said the labels take the money, not the artists on the labels.

CommieGIR posted:

That's called privilege my friend, and we have to address the non-privilaged to make this work.

The dream would be wireless charging in parking lots so whenever you go to walmart, the grocery store, whatever, you get 10 miles added on to your battery while you're shopping.
Going full EV would mean getting rid of the ICE mindset of needing to fill up an empty tank and instead thinking in terms of topping up anywhere you're parked for a length of time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

duz posted:

The dream would be wireless charging in parking lots so whenever you go to walmart, the grocery store, whatever, you get 10 miles added on to your battery while you're shopping.
Going full EV would mean getting rid of the ICE mindset of needing to fill up an empty tank and instead thinking in terms of topping up anywhere you're parked for a length of time.

Wireless charging is likely a fad, its incredibly inefficient and there's other issues like, accidentally inducting power into something you are not supposed to.

It also doesn't address a country that has still shunned investing in mass transit like it should. Again, its likely ICE isn't going anywhere for a while, all the more reason to push for hybrid and ICE-electric drivetrains.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

Disney cleaned up for the whole Star Wars canon by simplifying it to just the movies, and the new (tv, movie, game???) stuff they make.

so old books are non canon and probably a moot issue.

For now.

Give it another 20 years and assuming that Star Wars isn't a dead brand they'll do another reset.

See the Marvel attitude towards the original MCU shows like Agents of Shield, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc. They were marketed heavily as being part of the MCU, but within less than a decade they've already backtracked on counting anything in them as canon.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why does it matter what some marketing executive has deemed to be "canon"

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Some door to door sales person for Verint came by today. As soon as I saw his shirt I was all “hell no motherfucker you came to the wrong house with this iot home security bullshit.”

Besides, did you not just hear the bark of the dog I am holding from coming through the crack at you?

Koumpounophilia
Aug 9, 2021

by Hand Knit

Fame Douglas posted:

Only insomuch as it informs how the producer of the work intends to produce further work in the collective delusion that is a "series".

Death of the Author means the audience doesn't necessarily have to care about what a creator has to say about their work post-publishing when thinking about and discussing the complete lie that is their fiction. But the flipside of that is "death of the audience": the creator and/or producers don't have to care what the audience thinks when producing said work (other than their various management handlers above them). The plebs can say and believe whatever they want after publishing, the creator got the first (and arguably their only) bite at the creative cherry before anyone else when they made the work in the first place.

Koumpounophilia fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 10, 2021

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah the problem is that Streaming could've really taken piracy down a notch and been a financial win, but Disney and others all encouraged spinning their own streaming services rather than consolidating, and that's all she wrote. Nobody wants to pay for 3-5 streaming services.

it would have sucked either way. even if there had been one streaming service that bought out / merged with all the others it would have quickly taken advantage of its monopoly position to start maximizing profit at the expense of quality, either in the consumer experience (way more ads / raising prices for example) or by rent-seeking at producers' expense (like apple's app store)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silence_kit posted:

*follows statement with lengthy post containing a moral justification for piracy*

This, but a moral justification for copyright.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

disney is one of the most notoriously strict companies in the world about brand control and what writers are allowed to do with ip they own

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

VideoGameVet posted:

There used to be a plug-in version of the Prius with an extra battery (but also the regular hybrid gasoline system) so you could run it in all-electric mode. I don't think it had very good range in that mode, though. Pretty sure it's been discontinued by now.

But yeah, the Prius is a fine car. We've had one since 2012 and it still gets >50mpg. The only thing ever to go wrong with it was the 12v (starter) battery, and that was once in nearly 10 years use.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Hobnob posted:

There used to be a plug-in version of the Prius with an extra battery (but also the regular hybrid gasoline system) so you could run it in all-electric mode. I don't think it had very good range in that mode, though. Pretty sure it's been discontinued by now.

But yeah, the Prius is a fine car. We've had one since 2012 and it still gets >50mpg. The only thing ever to go wrong with it was the 12v (starter) battery, and that was once in nearly 10 years use.

The Prius Prime is still around. There’s also a plug-in RAV4 hybrid.

Toyota’s actively campaigning against electric cars and climate legislation, though, so don’t hold your breath for a Toyota EV.

quote:

The Toyota Prius hybrid was a milestone in the history of clean cars, attracting millions of buyers worldwide who could do their part for the environment while saving money on gasoline.

But in recent months, Toyota, one of the world’s largest automakers, has quietly become the industry’s strongest voice opposing an all-out transition to electric vehicles — which proponents say is critical to fighting climate change.

Last month, Chris Reynolds, a senior executive who oversees government affairs for the company, traveled to Washington for closed-door meetings with congressional staff members and outlined Toyota’s opposition to an aggressive transition to all-electric cars.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/25/climate/toyota-electric-hydrogen.html

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Wireless charging is likely a fad, its incredibly inefficient and there's other issues like, accidentally inducting power into something you are not supposed to.

It also doesn't address a country that has still shunned investing in mass transit like it should. Again, its likely ICE isn't going anywhere for a while, all the more reason to push for hybrid and ICE-electric drivetrains.

does this apply to wireless charging for phones small devices too?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

People get invested in stories and how they tie into larger narratives, it's literally why the MCU has been so successful and why there was so much hype for the Star Wars prequel and sequel trilogies.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Use Fiat 500e's with under 50k miles go for $5 at times.

Free charging doesn't require a Tesla.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

PhazonLink posted:

Yes. It depends heavily on the geometry of the WPT coils, but in general you can expect wireless charging to require 30-100% more energy than wired charging.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

Use Fiat 500e's with under 50k miles go for $5 at times.

Free charging doesn't require a Tesla.

But it does require being in a HCOL place that has free charging. I think you've missed the point.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Senor Tron posted:

People get invested in stories and how they tie into larger narratives, it's literally why the MCU has been so successful and why there was so much hype for the Star Wars prequel and sequel trilogies.

Not to poo poo on anyone and what they like, but personally I feel like this is a cancer on media. There is a value to mystery, a value to a new setting where the viewer/reader does not understand everything that's going on. There is a value to the story, once it is told, being done -- it's bittersweet at times, but that's also one of the things that makes it special for me. This book, this film, is just one snapshot of a wider world, and you don't always get to know all the answers and see the beginning and end of every story.

The reaction to the Star Wars prequels and the new trilogy are proof of this: everyone bitches about them. We said we want them, but we don't want them in truth. They spoil the magic; with every part of the wider universe that is rendered in detail, a tiny part of the wonder and mystery dies. We think we want to know the details of Anakin's fall to the dark side, and how Han Solo came to be where he was during ANH, and what happens after the rebels destroy the Death Star, but ultimately we don't, because when the finished work falls short of our rich imagination, we bitch!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

VideoGameVet posted:

Why not just do a quick response test with the touch screen.

If you can't get Mario past the Koopas, you can't drive.

That might be a problem for those of us whose video game skills improve dramatically when drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

Yeah its a really lovely way to transfer power, despite the cool appeal.