Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
most people never see that part because lol Dragon

I guess it's ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It was terrible in 2012 it's terrible now

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ad by Khad posted:

most people never see that part because lol Dragon

I guess it's ok

I feel that the Dragon debriefs have fallen off pretty hard in quality as I've gotten into Egypt. In Solomon Island they were generally either very informative, or entertainingly snarky.

In Egypt they've mostly just been one vague "The world is burning as it should, all is fire!" and "This suits our designs perfectly! Yay chaos!" after another.

Given the one character slot thing, there is a pretty good chance that once I complete the story through South Africa I'll just delete this character and start over the next time I get the itch to play, treat it like a single player game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There's a mod you can download that lets you see all the mission turn in text for all factions. You still miss out on the faction exclusive quests but at least can get the lores

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cythereal posted:

I feel that the Dragon debriefs have fallen off pretty hard in quality as I've gotten into Egypt.

The Dragon is aware of your complaint and is taking steps to increase quality standards for the end user experience.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

back when this game had players I remember everyone raving about that one templars story mission and everything else faction-exclusive was kinda meh

it's been almost four years since my friend sat in a queue for 9 hours for a 5man dungeon (any role, any dungeon, any of the ten different difficulty ranks they had for some dumb reason), I can't imagine how bad it is now

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Made it to City of the Sun God. Scorched Desert did not end on a high note.

Whatever cool factor The Last Train to Cairo might have had was badly undercut by how infuriating the mission was. Platforming and hunting for the one tiny yellow item both suck in this game, and that mission had plenty of both along with a boss more interested in knocking you off the train than anything else. Cool in concept, awful in execution.

Just another day in the Secret World.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 3, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If I recall correctly (its been a while) all the good writing for post-mission text messages was in the Illuminati faction. When I tried Dragon for the re-launch it was absolutely a massive downgrade in all respects except possibly the unlockable costumes. Which were okay.

I marvel at the fact this game is still online. I hope it's still around, untouched, for another decade. Those of us still around can share tips on how to get it working on Windows 13 extra special non backwards compatible DRM edition.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I honestly preferred when last train content was after the main Egypt story and yes, train mission sucks. It could have been a fun Indiana Jones style adventure but they hosed it up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DancingShade posted:

If I recall correctly (its been a while) all the good writing for post-mission text messages was in the Illuminati faction. When I tried Dragon for the re-launch it was absolutely a massive downgrade in all respects except possibly the unlockable costumes. Which were okay.

I marvel at the fact this game is still online. I hope it's still around, untouched, for another decade. Those of us still around can share tips on how to get it working on Windows 13 extra special non backwards compatible DRM edition.

I think Dragon was supposed to be real good in Tokyo?

Sekenr posted:

I honestly preferred when last train content was after the main Egypt story and yes, train mission sucks. It could have been a fun Indiana Jones style adventure but they hosed it up.

Yeah same. For Cythereal, Tyler Freeborn, Last Train, and next region sleepless lullaby or whatever it's name officially is were all post game leadup to Tokyo. There's some cracks in them where the content is imo more miss than hit, and the third one relies on wave defense way more than I prefer

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

I think Dragon was supposed to be real good in Tokyo?

Not so much unless you were emotionally attached to Bland_Character main Dragon lady who Daimon replaces. It was a complete upgrade because Daimon was a good character but since content updates basically ended at that point (unless you count the only part of Africa they released) it didn't go anywhere.

Had potential but never realised. Could apply that to much of the game really.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There was a goon in the cabal that apparently did writing work for Tokyo and told us some things about the original plan

the factions would start unaligned and changed based on what the players did. but then they changed plans and locked them as they are now.

also the voice of Johnny bravo apparently auditioned for Ricky pagan

But take that with a grain of salt because that's just a goon in discord talking

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I vaguely remember the bee prison or something as part of the plot plan but it was another thread that never happened.

Hey at least we got Moons of Madness. I liked that one.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

AFAIK Moons of madness originally had nothing to do with secret world. They just slapped Orochi everywhere late in development.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Starting to burn out pretty hard in City of the Sun God. This place is a giant twisty maze of canyons and ridges where the quests send you all over the goddamn place and I'm waist deep in a long quest chain that started with investigating earthquakes in the Scorched Desert and going into the Ankh and now I'm assembling a djinn ring while the high priest guy tells the story of Aladdin and I don't even know what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing or why I should care.

Doesn't help that every Sentinel and their dad seems to have one and only one personality trait, and that the only two colors in the zone are brown and black.

Just a hunch, but I think I found where the bad guy lives.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 6, 2021

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

Rip aux weapon wheel and The Whip

Remember when we discovered that one of the mods for the whip was miscoded, so it increased damage enemies took by 300% instead of 3%? We started a raid like two hours later. And did every dungeon in like five minutes.

Between that and the exploit to reuse lair pieces I was so worried about getting banned, and I really shouldn't have been.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

Remember when we discovered that one of the mods for the whip was miscoded, so it increased damage enemies took by 300% instead of 3%? We started a raid like two hours later. And did every dungeon in like five minutes.

Between that and the exploit to reuse lair pieces I was so worried about getting banned, and I really shouldn't have been.

I do remember you and Zepho pinging me on Steam to wake up and come get loot. We burned veteran points(?) On cooldown removals and just went ham.

I think the only time they ever even reversed the damage of an exploit was for the nightmare scenario clothing?

Unless they fixed it in the last two months or so you can still skip to behind the spider in Ankh, or as I called it Flushing the Toilet

Cythereal posted:

Starting to burn out pretty hard in City of the Sun God. This place is a giant twisty maze of canyons and ridges where the quests send you all over the goddamn place and I'm waist deep in a long quest chain that started with investigating earthquakes in the Scorched Desert and going into the Ankh and now I'm assembling a djinn ring while the high priest guy tells the story of Aladdin and I don't even know what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing or why I should care.

Doesn't help that every Sentinel and their dad seems to have one and only one personality trait, and that the only two colors in the zone are brown and black.

Just a hunch, but I think I found where the bad guy lives.

Would you believe it's better? Those jump pads? They didn't exist at launch in the original game. They were patched it at some point

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Egypt is basically the graveyard of secret world players as the game takes a huge poo poo

Vampiretown after it is very weird and spooky but I and many others will never know just how spooky

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Scorched Desert is okay and has some fun missions

City of the Sun God is cool in theory, and has some real fun areas to be in but God drat is it a slog to be in

The third region got hurt by the change in systems imo. The old game had areas with Nightmare Mobs that dropped signets and the last region had a lot of areas for that. They cut those in the relaunch, so it feels more empty than it should as a result

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I foolishly decided to play this game again, Im actually enjoying blade/elemental a lot.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Egypt is extremely hit or miss, IIRC; it's been a while.

It does, however, have the Ankh, which, if I haven't mentioned it before, is the best dungeon in any MMO ever.

(I have definitely mentioned it before many, many times)

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

what good is a dungeon if there are no people to group with

(yeah ankh is pretty alright)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

it also has hell fallen which is on the opposite end of that spectrum

egypt is a land of contrasts

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FrostyPox posted:

Egypt is extremely hit or miss, IIRC; it's been a while.

It does, however, have the Ankh, which, if I haven't mentioned it before, is the best dungeon in any MMO ever.

(I have definitely mentioned it before many, many times)

City of the Sun God is killing my interest in continuing the game. The Sentinels are sad. Sentinel dad is also sad but stoically presses on. The Atenists might as well be more of those locusts or ghouls for all the personality and character they have. The Orochi continue to bound skyward on their helicopter moustaches. And the zone layout is just bad and uninteresting to look at.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

If you can push through the next region has some real good and fun bits.

Of course it also has fata padurii and cost of magic

But all three areas are better than CotSG

Tokyo is real fun if you can just kind of forget about the plot threads that will never get picked up on

And I only did South Africa once and just felt like it was a disappointing hint of things that will never be

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah Egypt was such a break of flow. In the first area, Every single place to go was awesome with atmosphere. Then you get to the next level and its all just the same brown.

I thought it did pick up near the end though, when the quests seemed to have more of a coherence.

Then i ended up in fairy land, where every thing you meet was a vampire, or a werewolf.

Then the game crashed every few minutes, so im glad i got to see the first map.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Len posted:

Of course it also has fata padurii and cost of magic

Cost of magic was the jump puzzle, right?

Is the mission with the old timey radio shows still in the game or was that a limited holiday quest? I remember liking that one though I think it was in several zones and just had a yellow mission bunker in the vampire area.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bagrada posted:

Cost of magic was the jump puzzle, right?

Is the mission with the old timey radio shows still in the game or was that a limited holiday quest? I remember liking that one though I think it was in several zones and just had a yellow mission bunker in the vampire area.

CoM is indeed the timer platforming one

I think that was a Halloween event mission

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Son god indeed sucks but I was impressed that Funcom had the guts to tell such a sad tale, no other mmo dares anithing like that. Just power throught it, next zone is more fun and there is a lot of cool poo poo still ahead of you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sekenr posted:

Son god indeed sucks but I was impressed that Funcom had the guts to tell such a sad tale, no other mmo dares anithing like that. Just power throught it, next zone is more fun and there is a lot of cool poo poo still ahead of you.

Yeah, no. I've played more than this MMO that had a major storyline end with "The heroes lose, it was all in vain." Without even thinking hard I can name three that have major story arcs that end in "The heroes flee in full retreat, all their sacrifices and victories meant nothing, the bad guys win."

For now I'm taking a break from Secret World to play a game that's legitimately fun to play instead. Maybe I'll come back to this one after a break.

Edit: Make that four other MMOs I can think of with similar story arcs.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 9, 2021

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I dont' know where you are getting the heroes flee, everything is in vain vibe. Because its not COTSG story.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sekenr posted:

I dont' know where you are getting the heroes flee, everything is in vain vibe. Because its not COTSG story.

Because I don't know what the hell COTSG's story is about (like I've said, last I checked I was in the middle of a plot about recovering a djinn ring for reasons while priest dad tells the story of Aladdin and blah blah blah, and the main story for the zone seems to just be 'Hi, here's my one personality trait!') and I was going off you talking about it being so sad. So I took it to mean it's a story about the Sentinels and the PC losing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Jinn thing is another story that was originally post game but was instead wedged into the main story during the relaunch

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cythereal posted:

So I took it to mean it's a story about the Sentinels and the PC losing.

Pretty sure the person you replied to was talking about the origin of the Sentinels being the sad story.

They're priest dad's actual children, who volunteered to be murdered and have their souls placed in statues in the middle of nowhere forever, in order to keep an ancient Filth incursion contained.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 9, 2021

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the coolest thing about cotsg is that one pyramid you go on a lengthy puzzle adventure through

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

dmboogie posted:

the coolest thing about cotsg is that one pyramid you go on a lengthy puzzle adventure through

oh god, that's gonna be fun for the LP watchers

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
That's the one bit of the game I couldn't do if you put a gun to my head lol, the solution just slides off my brain every time. I used to grind it with a mate in TSW and I had to pester him for help in SWL :v:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Didn't you also have to platform up the pyramid for a quest and it was extremely finnicky?

Also, did the relaunch do anything to CoM or is it still exactly what it is?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, you have to cliffstrafe up the side of the pyramid and it just feels so janky and unintended. As for cost of magic, jumping in the relaunch feels way better than it was in the original game - I couldn't tell you what, if anything, was changed but I personally had way less trouble with any of the platforming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I noticed less bugged out graphics where the platforms keep showing after they disappeared

But also yeah the platforming feels tighter and less garbage