Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have some comments about Suicide Squad-

1. I thought it was a little weird how underused Thinker was. He doesn’t even use his power at all. I felt like you could have made him any random scientist character instead of a known villain.

2. I also thought it was odd when the Squad is surprised as the military possessed by Starro start standing up and walking around, when all of them minus Harley saw the briefing with the video of astronauts being controlled by it. Was that briefing not in an earlier version of the script or something?

3. Waller seems a bit too unconcerned about the potential threat that Starro would pose to the US if it’s just loose. She knows that it’s extremely dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Waller likely expected that the US would just shoot a nuke at the island to deal with it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

My only real complaint I have (story wise) is why did Waller let Harley live? They knew she was still alive and they also knew she was captured (or at least that she had gone way off mission) I mean I know the actual reason is because Harley is too big a character to kill but I'd have liked it if there was more of a story reason.

I mean, look what happened when she didn't. It's reasonable to think Waller knows there's a solid chance Harley will figure things out on her own to the benefit of the mission, and Harley's not going to talk. As long as she's still on the island the mission isn't hurt yet, and she can always blow her up later.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Speaking of I know Waller is a pretty gray character, but she seemed a little over the top in this. I haven't read a lot of the older stuff, is she usually so blasé about stuff like thousands of children dying?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Retro Futurist posted:

Speaking of I know Waller is a pretty gray character, but she seemed a little over the top in this. I haven't read a lot of the older stuff, is she usually so blasé about stuff like thousands of children dying?

Not og waller. Anymore she is just another super villain

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

Waller has always been a stand in for US foreign policy as a whole. This movies version of her is much more honest about that than her earlier comic appearances.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Waller likely expected that the US would just shoot a nuke at the island to deal with it.

Or like Superman or Wonder Woman somebody.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I like Pete Davidson, I think he's funny I was still happy to see Blackgaurd get his face blown off while annoyingly screaming "hey guys it's me!" like an oblivious moron.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Dawgstar posted:

Or like Superman or Wonder Woman somebody.

Gotta say, if I were Aquaman and they called in Superman or Wonder Woman to deal with a giant starfish, I'd feel snubbed as gently caress.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I liked the flashback showing a young Thinker with only a couple of doodads sticking out of his head.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I didn't quite *love* it but I did really like it, I connected with it much more than I did either of the Guardians flicks. I have no idea who the hell Bloodsport is but I loved Idris in the role (and his Alien-esque helmet), along with pretty much all of Team 2. As the film neared the finale, I was in a state of dread over anything bad happening to Bloodsport, Ratcatcher, and KS even, the stakes for anyone but Harley felt pretty real. Probably the biggest surprise for me was Waller proving an even a bigger monster than Starro. Speaking of Starro, props to Gunn for sneaking a pseudo Slither sequel in here - Starro went from 'goofy comic badguy' to 'loving horrific cosmic terror' pretty drat fast here.

And yes, I'm totes down for the Peacemaker show now, Cena was great in this after being so flat in Fast 9. James Gunn sure knows how to get the best out of wrestlers.

GLOSS posted:

Good movie, but it pissed me off because there's no way Marvel can do a live action Squirrel Girl now because Gunn already loving nailed it with Ratcatcher.

Seriously. I kept thinking of D & T-T every time Cleo and Seb were on screen, they were an absolute delight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As much as I kinda liked the film and thought Cena was fine I think I have less interest in Peacemaker now. I just don't see how Cena or the character can carry a show. Dunno.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

As much as I kinda liked the film and thought Cena was fine I think I have less interest in Peacemaker now. I just don't see how Cena or the character can carry a show. Dunno.

The character definitely needs a straight man like Bloodsport to bounce off of, that's for sure. Don't know how he'd work solo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I think they confirmed that waller's support staff have an active role in it and Gunn has described it as an ensemble piece

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean I'm sure the show will add cast and round out his character a bit, give him backstory or something. But as amusing as Cena's performance was in the ensemble its not something that I really wanna see 10 episodes of. Or at least not something that excites me for it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The after credits scene pretty explicitly spells out that Steve Agee and that blonde woman are going to be working with him. I wouldn’t be surprised if they added a sidekick or something too

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m surprised Erik Larsen didn’t get a shout in the credits. He drew the Doom Patrol/Suicide Squad crossover, which James Gunn has said was an inspiration to his script (it starts with a failed assault, features the Weasel and the Thinker, and has a building collapse which looks to have visually inspired the Jotunheim design/demolition), on top of that, King Shark was created by Karl Kesel in 94, but prior to that Kesel was writing Erik Larsen’s Freak Force which featured Mako, a burly shark-man created in Larsen’s youth and predating King Shark by decades.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
One thing I found odd and it's probably because I haven't totally divorced this one from the last one but Waller getting knocked the gently caress out and then responding by pouting and then passive aggressively micromanaging (albeit a very realistic move) was weird after she shot a roomful of lackeys for knowing too much(?) in the first movie, I know it's a soft reboot but like, that lady didn't even seem afraid for her job much less going to jail (much less death).

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Sgt. Politeness posted:

One thing I found odd and it's probably because I haven't totally divorced this one from the last one but Waller getting knocked the gently caress out and then responding by pouting and then passive aggressively micromanaging (albeit a very realistic move) was weird after she shot a roomful of lackeys for knowing too much(?) in the first movie, I know it's a soft reboot but like, that lady didn't even seem afraid for her job much less going to jail (much less death).

Edit: Honestly I didn't totally get why Waller didn't want the team to try and stop Starro. Like I understand he would have a pretty severe destabilizing effect on the area but she didn't instruct the team to let him out and he had already done a bunch of damage, if anything she should have assumed they'd all die trying to fight it, why try and stop them?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Edit: Honestly I didn't totally get why Waller didn't want the team to try and stop Starro. Like I understand he would have a pretty severe destabilizing effect on the area but she didn't instruct the team to let him out and he had already done a bunch of damage, if anything she should have assumed they'd all die trying to fight it, why try and stop them?

I presume it's because ultimately the Suicide Squad is supposed to be a black ops squad and fighting Starro like they did is very very public. I mean, Bloodshot, a known assassin (and I think the whole squad but I'm not gonna go rewatch to check) who is supposed to be in prison, made it on TV fighting aliens in a foreign nation.

Plus, even though Waller treats them as disposable, the fact remains that they are valuable assets that could go on future missions, and they can't do that if they get killed fighting a giant starfish unnecessarily when they could just leave it to Superman or whoever.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 9, 2021

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I presume it's because ultimately the Suicide Squad is supposed to be a black ops squad and fighting Starro like they did is very very public. I mean, Bloodshot, a known assassin (and I think the whole squad but I'm not gonna go rewatch to check) who is supposed to be in prison, made it on TV fighting aliens in a foreign nation.

Plus, even though Waller treats them as disposable, the fact remains that they are valuable assets that could go on future missions, and they can't do that if they get killed fighting a giant starfish.

Point 1: That's fair but I would have wanted a throw away line I guess.

Point 2: Sure but she was ready to blow their heads off.

It all works, it's just a little messy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
peacemaker definitely needs a straight wo/man to keep me interested for the tv series but tbh my bigger gripe is the flagg face turn, which feels...i want to say entirely unearned but maybe fairly is more...fair. like, i understand why he's doing it because waller is a huge loving piece of poo poo in this movie and her getting knocked the gently caress out is one of the highlights because she's so awful. but it feels like a scene we're supposed to see after a few movies of development

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Flagg didn't have a face turn cause he was always the one good guy in a room full of villains. He was a face the whole time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl i don't remember much about the first ss but i don't remember him directly disobeying waller or deciding to whistleblow on the us government because he's so tired of the many missions she's sent him on in that one

site fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 9, 2021

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I will say, this has been the superhero movie I have seen that is the most openly critical of US foreign policy.... so points on that

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

ngl i don't remember much about the first ss but i don't remember him directly disobeying waller or deciding to whistleblow on the us government because he's so tired of the many missions she's sent him on in that one

THEY EXPERIMENTED ON CHILDREN! .

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

His entire thing in the first one is just wanting to save and protect his girlfriend.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Pete davidson is funny

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

ilikedirt posted:

Pete davidson is funny

He's mostly been hamstrung by viral success. He got famous entirely on dating famous people, then on SNL they literally just had him say that on weekend update. Like if you think back to his most famous SNL appearances they're all stuff like "Yeah I am dating Kate Beckinsale and I am not happy anyway" and "I apologize to the bullshit eyepatch senator." He's in the big deal Mulaney sketches like Diner Lobster and stuff, but all he does is get one line near the beginning like "I will have the lobster" then just stands back and watches actual performers do actual performances. He could have been a good character actor and comedian, but instead he's famous for all this poo poo no one wants or likes.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Yeah, I like his stand up, his Weekend Update appearances, and most of his raps but Pete Davidson is the first person to tell you he's bad in skits. He's just the current Fallon, who was himself the Sandler of his cast, the big difference is he has too much self awareness (crippling self awareness) to do goofy/annoying voices which honestly wouldn't put him over nowadays anyway.

At least that's my running theory.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

theironjef posted:

He's mostly been hamstrung by viral success. He got famous entirely on dating famous people, then on SNL they literally just had him say that on weekend update. Like if you think back to his most famous SNL appearances they're all stuff like "Yeah I am dating Kate Beckinsale and I am not happy anyway" and "I apologize to the bullshit eyepatch senator." He's in the big deal Mulaney sketches like Diner Lobster and stuff, but all he does is get one line near the beginning like "I will have the lobster" then just stands back and watches actual performers do actual performances. He could have been a good character actor and comedian, but instead he's famous for all this poo poo no one wants or likes.

Lots of people like him, youre just not one of those people. Idk why hes such a contentious figure, as if somebodys success in the comedy business isnt ultimately like 98% up to luck anyways.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

ilikedirt posted:

Lots of people like him, youre just not one of those people. Idk why hes such a contentious figure, as if somebodys success in the comedy business isnt ultimately like 98% up to luck anyways.

I never said I didn't like him, I said I thought he's been poorly utilized. Granted, my least favorite type of weekend update appearance is "And now this featured player as themselves to do something slightly self-deprecating" but it's not like he's fighting to do those, the writing staff wants them because he was in the news. I genuinely think he doesn't belong on SNL, but lots of celebrities don't and that's not a litmus for if I like them or not.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

ilikedirt posted:

Idk why hes such a contentious figure
You skipped over the part about dating extremely famous people very publicly, which put his name in a lot of inescapable headlines, which reminds everyone he's on SNL despite not really having much to his name in terms of actual memorable bits or sketches, which brings people back to "why is this guy SO famous?"

There is an answer, you just don't like it. I thought he was funny his first season for getting a few weekend update bits that was basically just his standup, but I've never seen a single thing since that made me feel like he's risen above when he was "pretty good for the new guy".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know he got lambasted for making people who buy tickets to his live shows sign NDAs. That didn't go over well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I haven’t watched SNL in a long time, but I stumbled into some of his Chad skits on YouTube, and I loved them for some reason.

From what else I’ve seen of him, he doesn’t seem like a great performer, but I can bet he’s a fun guy to have around.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Thinking it over, and maybe it's the afterglow, but I think this is the best DCEU movie. And maybe that's a low bar but it's the only one I can recall without some major part that I don't kinda like. I still haven't seen Aquaman I guess...

So ranking:

1. The Suicide Squad (fun movie, not great but never lost my attention)
2. Shazam (falls apart barely in act 3, but even then it's still enjoyable)
3. Wonder Woman (terrible act 3)
4. Justice League Snyder Cut (still a significantly better movie than the original, but also kinda boring and superfluous)
5. Harley Quinn and BOP (wish there was more of the BOP. I watched this after TSS and don't remember much of it)
6. Man of Steel (bad third act, Cavill isn't Superman enough yet, the tornado)
7. BvS (I actually like Batfleck and Eisenburg as Luthor well enough, but it's kinda all nonsensical)
8. Justice League Whedon Cut (what if Snyder cut but MORE boring)
9. Suicide Squad (Harley, Boomer, and Flagg are cool, super dogshit plot)

Am I missing any?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WW1984, but I forgot that movie exists too so I don't blame you

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Thinking it over, and maybe it's the afterglow, but I think this is the best DCEU movie. And maybe that's a low bar but it's the only one I can recall without some major part that I don't kinda like. I still haven't seen Aquaman I guess...

So ranking:

1. The Suicide Squad (fun movie, not great but never lost my attention)
2. Shazam (falls apart barely in act 3, but even then it's still enjoyable)
3. Wonder Woman (terrible act 3)
4. Justice League Snyder Cut (still a significantly better movie than the original, but also kinda boring and superfluous)
5. Harley Quinn and BOP (wish there was more of the BOP. I watched this after TSS and don't remember much of it)
6. Man of Steel (bad third act, Cavill isn't Superman enough yet, the tornado)
7. BvS (I actually like Batfleck and Eisenburg as Luthor well enough, but it's kinda all nonsensical)
8. Justice League Whedon Cut (what if Snyder cut but MORE boring)
9. Suicide Squad (Harley, Boomer, and Flagg are cool, super dogshit plot)

Am I missing any?

Aquaman?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You all should watch King of Staten Island, it's really fuckin good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Arist posted:

WW1984, but I forgot that movie exists too so I don't blame you

Oh yeah! Right below Man of Steel. Verrry boring.