Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
edit for refference.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That might be a problem for those of us whose video game skills improve dramatically when drunk.

it might also be a problem for the thousands if not millions of people that die in 1-1's first few seconds.

like jesus crhist , twitch and youtube has shown me that some people just frail at random and somehow they get through the game.

also they get through life too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

PT6A posted:

Not to poo poo on anyone and what they like, but personally I feel like this is a cancer on media. There is a value to mystery, a value to a new setting where the viewer/reader does not understand everything that's going on. There is a value to the story, once it is told, being done -- it's bittersweet at times, but that's also one of the things that makes it special for me. This book, this film, is just one snapshot of a wider world, and you don't always get to know all the answers and see the beginning and end of every story.

The reaction to the Star Wars prequels and the new trilogy are proof of this: everyone bitches about them. We said we want them, but we don't want them in truth. They spoil the magic; with every part of the wider universe that is rendered in detail, a tiny part of the wonder and mystery dies. We think we want to know the details of Anakin's fall to the dark side, and how Han Solo came to be where he was during ANH, and what happens after the rebels destroy the Death Star, but ultimately we don't, because when the finished work falls short of our rich imagination, we bitch!

while i agree the MCU "cinematic universe" concept is poo poo most of the complaining about star wars comes from the fact that the movies are just really bad rather than uncreative.

the prequels were original but terrible because lucas had enough power that nobody was editing him, while the sequel trilogy poo poo the bed in the final episode thanks to baffling corporate dysfunction (seriously, how on earth did disney start a trilogy project for a guaranteed blockbuster with a huge budget without making even a skeleton plan for the story and characters?) the Solo movie suffered from a similar problem where it obviously faced huge rewrites (probably there was a corporate mandate during production to make it a different type of movie).

i don't know why disney is unable to make even a bog standard 7/10 cookie cutter action movie for the most "hero's journey" ip in existence but here we are, somehow

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Piracy isn't just a service problem, it's a peek into how we treat a post-scarcity society. Capitalism wasn't ready for easy, commonplace free flow of digital information. It required artificial barriers to be put in place so that capitalism can be maintained.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even legal means are no way of supporting artists. Spotify is cheap and convenient but artists don't get paid poo poo unless their name is Joe Rogan.
Spotify's problem is mostly being very cheap plus the public's very lopsided music consumption. Their method of splitting a fixed monthly pool of subscription money across unlimited streaming is to allocate each band/label a share of the money in proportion to their share of total hours streamed, which seems like a fair way to do it. But most people spend most of their time listening to a pretty small group of artists.

If you're a band whose songs get streamed a hundred thousand times a month, you're sort of successful, but as a fraction of the overall pool of Top 100 bands (tens of millions of songs per month each), plus the thousands of other bands also sitting in that ~100,000/month range, your share of Spotify's $7/user/month licensing bucket is still basically nothing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not sure if this is parody but it might as well be:

quote:

Just as paid human spaceflights are about to begin, advertising is making a mark in space too. A Canadian startup called Geometric Energy Corporation (GEC) has tied up with Elon Musk's SpaceX, taking advertising to space on a small satellite aboard the Falcon 9 rocket, Business Insider reported. However, the collaboration won't feature a classic advertising billboard that we are used to see around, the ads will run on a pixelated display screen on a satellite called a CubeSat.

Calgary-based GEC is an intellectual property, manufacturing, and logistics company, all rolled into one. Through its subsidiaries, Geometric Space, GeometricLabs, Geometric Medical, and Geometric Gaming, the company is inventing and manufacturing products and services for its customers in the private as well as the public sectors. As the company claims, during the pandemic, it supplied "ethically sourced" nitrile gloves to institutions in Canada and the U.S. while also developing a solid-state Sodium-Ion battery product.

Another area of service for the company is CubeSat integration. CubeSats are smaller satellites manufactured with mass-produced components for commercial purposes. Weighing not more than 660 pounds (300 kg), CubeSats can be assembled on demand and launched from alternate platforms. For its advertising project, GEC plans to use its expertise in CubeSat integration and plans to put a pixelated display screen on one side that will be used for advertising purposes.

CubeSat will be put in orbit by SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket that will travel to the Moon in the first quarter of 2022. To put up an advert on its screen, those who are interested need to buy tokens that can be used to design a pixel. The company revealed to Business Insider that it will offer five tokens for purchase; Beta for the X coordinate, Rhoe for the Y coordinate, Gamma for the brightness, Kappa for the color, and XI for time. Using the tokens, users will be able to decide what their advertising pixel will look like, where it will be located on the screen and how long the advertisement will last. Since pixels are too small to be seen from Earth or from space, a selfie stick on the CubeSat will capture the image and live-stream it on YouTube or Twitch.

When it comes to buying the tokens, it can only be done in cryptocurrencies, like Ethereum and possibly Dogecoin in the future, as co-founder Samuel Reid told Business Insider. Explaining his stance, Reid said that his company's efforts are aimed at "democratizing access to space and allowing decentralized participation." However, the company's fascination with Dogecoin is not completely understood.

Earlier in May this year, GEC's Subsidiary, Geometric Space Corporation (GSC) announced its collaboration with SpaceX, called DOGE-1. The mission involves putting into orbit around the Moon an 88-pound (40 kg) CubeSat that will capture spatial intelligence using onboard cameras and sensors. Scheduled for launch in the first quarter of 2022, the mission is completely paid for in Dogecoin, setting the stage for using cryptocurrencies to finance space missions in the future. We have reached out to the company to understand their interest in Dogecoin and will update the story when the comment is received.

The DOGE-1 and the advertising CubeSat will be onboard a RideShare Falcon 9 Rocket that SpaceX operates to provide low-cost launch missions for small satellites.

I mean it seems like a great plan to part idiots from their fake rear end currencies but this is the single stupidest thing I've heard of to be launched into space.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i want to be in the timeline where the selfie stick breaks off and causes kessler syndrome or some syfy disaster movie of the week. ( i dunno, dino shark firecane 4)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eXXon posted:

I'm not sure if this is parody but it might as well be:

I mean it seems like a great plan to part idiots from their fake rear end currencies but this is the single stupidest thing I've heard of to be launched into space.

But Jeff Bezos went up just last month!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CommieGIR posted:

That's called privilege my friend, and we have to address the non-privilaged to make this work.

I drive a 2007 toyota yaris approaching 400,000km on the odometer and no plans on getting rid of it. I don't see a future in which I can afford an electric any time soon.

I mean it's not just the price of the car when buying it, but getting a new car means:

-expensive insurance

-having to take it to expensive dealership service

-modern electronics and modern construction techniques make it difficult or impossible to do work and service at home to save money, and working on an electric car is probably quite dangerous.

So I quite like my old lovely car with only the most basic insurance and I can do most service on it myself, does around 50-55 mpg.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I drive a 2007 toyota yaris approaching 400,000km on the odometer and no plans on getting rid of it. I don't see a future in which I can afford an electric any time soon.

I mean it's not just the price of the car when buying it, but getting a new car means:

-expensive insurance

-having to take it to expensive dealership service

-modern electronics and modern construction techniques make it difficult or impossible to do work and service at home to save money, and working on an electric car is probably quite dangerous.

So I quite like my old lovely car with only the most basic insurance and I can do most service on it myself, does around 50-55 mpg.

I sold my 2000 Toyota Echo with 268k miles (433,000km) in August, still on original clutch and running well ... because I was hired in August 2020 to help run a game studio in LA. which meant weekly commutes from San Diego to there. So I leased an EV for the carpool sticker and to deal with the horrible traffic. I could have easily run that car to 400k miles, I'm sure the new owners will.

I used to use Amtrak but COVID nixed that. The company kept their offices open because they had a telemedicine division. Nice trick and I should have seen it as a warning (they never launched the project I was hired to run and the gig ended in Feb.).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
It's mind boggling to me that the Prius is not more popular. Even if you don't give a poo poo about the environment, you save a ton on gas, and there's no extra requirements above what a normal ICE car needs (no need for a charging station at your house, insurance is relatively normal). You literally don't need to know or care that it's a hybrid vehicle, there's no practical difference between a Prius and a ICE vehicle other than sometimes not hearing engine sounds.

Ours is at about 300K KM and we've never really had a problem with it. We had to replace the accessory battery (the same deal that every car has which is a separate system from the actual engine batteries), and the normal stuff like tires, etc., but the drivetrain itself has had zero problems.

I do think EVs are a good thing and we should encourage them more but there's a bunch of people where they're not a realistic option, and hybrids are a great solution there (and last I checked, the Prius kicks the poo poo out of other hybrids, even Toyotas, for fuel efficiency).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Ford will be releasing a hybrid truck, soon. It could be a game changer in the US. A fully electric F150 as well.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Looking at the fuel efficiency of larger vehicles (a highlander) vs. the Prius it uses nearly double the fuel though. While I agree hybrid / EV trucks are a good thing, I do think there needs to be a push to get people into smaller vehicles as well. For sure there's always going to be some demand for pickup trucks, but a good number of them IMO are purchased more as status symbols / cultural identifiers than a genuine need to have one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

enki42 posted:

It's mind boggling to me that the Prius is not more popular.

It's quickly replacing the entire taxi fleet in the US. I'm not sure how much more popular you expect something to be.

Not only does it not necessarily suit everyone's needs, but it drive like poo poo. It's a complete appliance. This is fine for some people, other people hate it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

enki42 posted:

It's mind boggling to me that the Prius is not more popular. Even if you don't give a poo poo about the environment, you save a ton on gas, and there's no extra requirements above what a normal ICE car needs (no need for a charging station at your house, insurance is relatively normal). You literally don't need to know or care that it's a hybrid vehicle, there's no practical difference between a Prius and a ICE vehicle other than sometimes not hearing engine sounds.

Ours is at about 300K KM and we've never really had a problem with it. We had to replace the accessory battery (the same deal that every car has which is a separate system from the actual engine batteries), and the normal stuff like tires, etc., but the drivetrain itself has had zero problems.

I do think EVs are a good thing and we should encourage them more but there's a bunch of people where they're not a realistic option, and hybrids are a great solution there (and last I checked, the Prius kicks the poo poo out of other hybrids, even Toyotas, for fuel efficiency).

Was the best selling car in CA. Now:

Honda Civic. 39,018.
Toyota Camry. 33,638.
Telsa Model 3. 33,005.
Honda Accord: 27,727.
Toyota Corolla. 25,673.

If you're going to buy a plug-in hybrid, the Prius Prime and the RAV4 PHEV are the best choices.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Motronic posted:

It's quickly replacing the entire taxi fleet in the US. I'm not sure how much more popular you expect something to be.

Not only does it not necessarily suit everyone's needs, but it drive like poo poo. It's a complete appliance. This is fine for some people, other people hate it.

Depends what you're looking for. If you enjoy driving as an experience, absolutely it's not that. It's the most "drive-by-wire" feeling car I've ever owned. But it gets you from A to B without a fuss, and it's a perfectly smooth ride.

It'll never be a car enthusiast's car, but I imagine most people are more interested in getting from A to B without much fuss. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

And yeah, it's definitely great that the taxi fleet is being replaced by Priuses, but for personal ownership I feel like I rarely see any. Anecdotally, new vehicle sales seem to be completely dominated by crossovers / SUVs here in Canada.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

enki42 posted:

Looking at the fuel efficiency of larger vehicles (a highlander) vs. the Prius it uses nearly double the fuel though. While I agree hybrid / EV trucks are a good thing, I do think there needs to be a push to get people into smaller vehicles as well. For sure there's always going to be some demand for pickup trucks, but a good number of them IMO are purchased more as status symbols / cultural identifiers than a genuine need to have one.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. If I were king I would ban all those ridiculous chud bro trucks like yesterday.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

enki42 posted:

It'll never be a car enthusiast's car, but I imagine most people are more interested in getting from A to B without much fuss. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

I think you are. And buying patterns prove it. As far as cars go, people seem to be most interested in:

- Edge cases (I might need to move a piece of lumber once every 3 years, better get a full sized SUV, I go skiing once a year, need 4x4 or AWD to mostly drive around the bay area)
- What they think other people think about what they drive
- Driving dynamics.

Probably in that order.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Motronic is correct. If all anyone cared about was going from A to B reliably/cheaply then everyone would just own a second hand Toyota Camry. The big 4 for cars are generally known to be cost of ownership, functionality, social status, and driving performance (both fun and comfort). Most cars that do well tick multiple boxes.

Slumming it in a 2007 Yaris like His Divine Shadow sounds absolutely awful (and pointless) to me. Theres no need to blow $50k on a brand new car, but for something fairly reasonable like $10-15k its possible to get a great 5~ year old second hand car that will actually be nice to drive/be inside.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I have a car similar to a 2007 yaris, and I plan to take good care of it and drive it until it falls apart because i dont have $10-15k to spend on a new car.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Motronic posted:

I think you are. And buying patterns prove it. As far as cars go, people seem to be most interested in:

- Edge cases (I might need to move a piece of lumber once every 3 years, better get a full sized SUV, I go skiing once a year, need 4x4 or AWD to mostly drive around the bay area)
- What they think other people think about what they drive
- Driving dynamics.

Probably in that order.

I put a trailer hitch on my yaris a few years ago, I moved four 5 meter (16 feet+) long 100x100m posts on that no prob. People think they need bigger cars than they do, often by magnitudes.

With a trailer your tiny car is incredibly versatile, even for a rural DIYer like myself who often has to transport bigger items.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Blut posted:

Motronic is correct. If all anyone cared about was going from A to B reliably/cheaply then everyone would just own a second hand Toyota Camry. The big 4 for cars are generally known to be cost of ownership, functionality, social status, and driving performance (both fun and comfort). Most cars that do well tick multiple boxes.

Slumming it in a 2007 Yaris like His Divine Shadow sounds absolutely awful (and pointless) to me. Theres no need to blow $50k on a brand new car, but for something fairly reasonable like $10-15k its possible to get a great 5~ year old second hand car that will actually be nice to drive/be inside.

One of my fellow video game devs has a 1990's Camry with over 450k miles. drat thing will not die.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Blut posted:

10-15k is a fuckload of money to waste on a car. Frankly this post oozes privilege.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

10-15k is a fuckload of money to waste on a car. Frankly this post oozes privilege.

It is a pretty big chunk of change. If I had that kind of money I'd use it to pay off debts, hopefully allowing myself to start saving for a new car in the next ten years.

But some people live luckier lives!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Jesus, I thought paying $12k for my Q7 TDI was a lot.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

To be fair, I think where you live has a pretty significant impact on how major a purchase you're willing to let a car be. If you live in a rural area, or a city with super poor transit infrastructure / sprawl, a car is going to be way more important to you relatively speaking than it would be for someone in an urban area.

When my wife and I lived in Toronto, we didn't have a car for ages, and even when we got one, we bought a very used Echo with manual windows and no A/C (i.e. practically the cheapest thing money could buy), because a car to us was something we needed very occasionally when transit wasn't an option. Once we moved to a different city (and my wife's job was a 1 hour commute where transit literally was not an option) we upgraded to the Prius (still used, but an order of magnitude more expensive than the Echo), because something you're using for 2+ hours a day justifies it being a more major expense.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's the inverse I find, the more urban and richer the setting the newer and bigger the cars are.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
10-15k seems pretty standard for what you'd want to spend on a used, reliable car. You probably don't want to go too much cheaper since you'll start getting into reliability issues due to age or whatever. Repairs add up quickly and time lost at work due to getting stranded during your commute makes it very worthwhile to spend a bit for the peace of mind. There's a reason a vehicle is the 2nd biggest purchase a person will make outside of a home and it's because for most Americans a car is 100% required, it's not optional.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

quote:

It's the inverse I find, the more urban and richer the setting the newer and bigger the cars are.

yeah, i won't disagree that that's reality. My point though is less about what does happen, and more about what's justifiable. Someone from an urban area with excellent transit saying "A 1985 k car is fine for me, why isn't it for you?" to someone who lives rurally with no transit whatsoever isn't really taking into account that there are genuinely different needs for people in different areas.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I paid $12.5k for a Echo in 2000 and managed to get 21 years out of it with really low TCO. Besides tires and brakes (which lasted 70k miles because the little beast weighed in at 2050lbs) I think the biggest repair was shocks and struts at 150k miles, probably my fault for driving offroad on a trip down Baja.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

enki42 posted:

yeah, i won't disagree that that's reality. My point though is less about what does happen, and more about what's justifiable. Someone from an urban area with excellent transit saying "A 1985 k car is fine for me, why isn't it for you?" to someone who lives rurally with no transit whatsoever isn't really taking into account that there are genuinely different needs for people in different areas.

Well I live rurally and I am kinda saying that. Our family did recently buy another car because my SO needed one for work so we bought a mazda 6 from 2005 for 2k euros.

CFox posted:

10-15k seems pretty standard for what you'd want to spend on a used, reliable car. You probably don't want to go too much cheaper since you'll start getting into reliability issues due to age or whatever. Repairs add up quickly and time lost at work due to getting stranded during your commute makes it very worthwhile to spend a bit for the peace of mind. There's a reason a vehicle is the 2nd biggest purchase a person will make outside of a home and it's because for most Americans a car is 100% required, it's not optional.

I find a lot of calculations like that on the net but I speaking from personal experience and the experience of others I know, the cheap cars are cheaper to own and keep running in most cases unless something catastrophic happens. I just haven't yet seen a reason to buy a car that new that eventually to me, doesn't come down to societal pressure.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

enki42 posted:

The Prius has always looked like poo poo despite 2 major facelifts in the past 2 decades. That certainly hasn't helped its appeal.

I find a lot of calculations like that on the net but I speaking from personal experience and the experience of others I know, the cheap cars are cheaper to own and keep running in most cases unless something catastrophic happens. I just haven't yet seen a reason to buy a car that new that eventually to me, doesn't come down to societal pressure.

Okay, but other people do. I don't enjoy driving cars at the end of their life, and I spent most of the last 9 years doing so. Buying cheap cars and running them until the wheels fall off lost its romantic appeal when I had to scrounge on the side of the highway for something to tie to the catalytic converter to keep it from dragging on the road after it rusted off the frame. And when I spent two years freezing in Wisconsin winters because the heater core was clogged and not worth replacing.

Obviously it's as anecdotal as your experience, but I spent years dealing with these kinds of headaches all while driving cars with poor gas mileage that I never really liked. Once I was in the position to do it, spending money on a car I loved was one of the easiest decisions to make.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus, I thought paying $12k for my Q7 TDI was a lot.

Was that for a service on the Q7 or for the whole car.

Possibly both!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

knox_harrington posted:

Was that for a service on the Q7 or for the whole car.

Possibly both!

No, I service it myself. That was the whole car:

TL;DR: Audi/VW is reselling all the TDIs that got bought back as part of dieselgate, fixed the emissions system, and resold them at auction.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This isn't Norway or the EU. Decent quality used cars have always cost more here. And even more now.

You used to be able to get something in pretty decent shape for $3-5k. Cash for clunkers destroyed the used market (as it was designed to do) and pushed that number higher. Covid and chip shortages for new cars have further pushed it up.

So.....if you want to act like this toward other posters I guess I may as well point out that your post oozes ignorance.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I'm sorry, I thought this was the tech nightmares thread.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Motronic posted:

This isn't Norway or the EU. Decent quality used cars have always cost more here. And even more now.

You used to be able to get something in pretty decent shape for $3-5k. Cash for clunkers destroyed the used market (as it was designed to do) and pushed that number higher. Covid and chip shortages for new cars have further pushed it up.

So.....if you want to act like this toward other posters I guess I may as well point out that your post oozes ignorance.

Cash for clunkers was, what, 11 or twelve years ago, I think you can stop beating that dead horse's skeleton. I know the right wingers got a ton of mileage out it, but it's really time to put it to bed.

It is too bad that so many XJ's were junked because of it, but getting rid a zillion lovely tippy Explorers was probably worth it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

JnnyThndrs posted:

Cash for clunkers was, what, 11 or twelve years ago, I think you can stop beating that dead horse's skeleton. I know the right wingers got a ton of mileage out it, but it's really time to put it to bed.

It is too bad that so many XJ's were junked because of it, but getting rid a zillion lovely tippy Explorers was probably worth it.

Eh, Cash for Clunkers is still being felt.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JnnyThndrs posted:

Cash for clunkers was, what, 11 or twelve years ago,

Exactly how long to you think cars can last? Because my daily driver is 14 years old and that is not a unique situation.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Motronic posted:

Exactly how long to you think cars can last? Because my daily driver is 14 years old and that is not a unique situation.

Dude, those cars were beat-up pieces of poo poo in 2009, how many of them would still be around now? From memory, the #1 cash-for-clunker trade-in was a 1993 Explorer, and #3 was a mid-Nineties Grand Cherokee, neither of which will ever win the Volvo Award for Longevity. Remember, you only got, what, $1800 in the form of a trade-in gift certificate.

Edit: My DD is 19 years old and I put 90 miles/day on it, so THERE. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I put a trailer hitch on my yaris a few years ago, I moved four 5 meter (16 feet+) long 100x100m posts on that no prob. People think they need bigger cars than they do, often by magnitudes.

Well I would certainly have expected that a bigger vehicle was needed for fifty thousand cubic metres. :imunfunny: