Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Ok Comboomer posted:

you ever been to a party full of MaxFun fans?

I've heard the old ads for max fun con, and boy does it always sound like a cult.

Anyway, the song is fine, Montaigne is cool, I'm glad the John Roderick song is gone. I would've liked if they used Justin's Two Three Brothers song from the tv show instead, but I also like Montaigne and her music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
As an aside, is that new max fun show Tiny Victories more or less just another Wonderful?

Has anyone given it a listen?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have good songs playing at my parties

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Ok Comboomer posted:

you ever been to a party full of MaxFun fans?
yes and it was awkward as gently caress but still way better than goons scoffing and moaning about a completely inoffensive pop song

now the Sawbones theme, that I can see

e: vvv a group of adventurers, duh

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 10, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
What the gently caress is a “party”

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

like an adventuring party?

:crossarms:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Holy poo poo it's an inoffensive fun pop song that is supposed to feel like high school.

This thread, I swear to god.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stroop There It Is posted:

now the Sawbones theme, that I can see

I hear there are better versions of that

but yeah for some reason (I think it's the little spoken bit at the very beginning) that song gives me a vibe I can only describe as "my two favorite webcomics are XKCD and SMBC"

maybe it's just bc the little vocal affectation reminds me of something a really nerdy PhD friend of mine does all the time

more falafel please posted:

Holy poo poo it's an inoffensive fun pop song that is supposed to feel like high school.

Hey, I wasn't even talking about the Montaigne song don't lump me into this

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 10, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

These dudes are 40, and so are all their listeners. No normal person would want to feel like high school.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

These dudes are 40, and so are all their listeners. No normal person would want to feel like high school.
i have bad news for you and it concerns the entire genre of pop music

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Haven't a cohort of Wonderful! fans been trying to get Carly Rae Jepsen to come on a McElroy show for years?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Isn’t Griffin besties with CRJ? She should drop a track for them. Or better yet, cover the existing track. That’d be funny.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

i have bad news for you and it concerns the entire genre of pop music

also im p sure the 40 year old dudes in this thread are very much the exception and their average listener is 20something

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Lol if u never hang at beach

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Warbird posted:

Isn’t Griffin besties with CRJ? She should drop a track for them. Or better yet, cover the existing track. That’d be funny.

oh did they meet? Last I checked in he was merely a very emphatic, very high profile fan

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Thank you, I've been wondering for weeks.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I really, really like the Montaigne song. I also miss the Mort Garson song at the top of TAZ.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I only hear the song at 1.25x and it sounds so slow in real time.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/McElroyFamily/status/1425170779231162371

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i mean, obviously good that they reversed decision, but why did they think it was a good idea to announce it yesterday?? it's one thing to say "yeah we planned this months in advance and then things didn't go as we hoped", and another thing to say "we planned this months in advance and then things didn't go as we hoped.... THEN WE ANNOUNCED IT ANYWAY!"

that was really loving stupid of them and I'm usually the one who goes to bat for every thing they do including yelling at the owner of the "cbd cures autism" store in the mall

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

The 7th Guest posted:

i mean, obviously good that they reversed decision, but why did they think it was a good idea to announce it yesterday?? it's one thing to say "yeah we planned this months in advance and then things didn't go as we hoped", and another thing to say "we planned this months in advance and then things didn't go as we hoped.... THEN WE ANNOUNCED IT ANYWAY!"

that was really loving stupid of them and I'm usually the one who goes to bat for every thing they do including yelling at the owner of the "cbd cures autism" store in the mall

I genuinely think it’s just that tours are a huge part of their income for the year and they really need to get back out there asap.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

I genuinely think it’s just that tours are a huge part of their income for the year and they really need to get back out there asap.

You'd think they'd make more off the digital shows considering they wouldn't have all the overhead of the actual venue taking a chunk out of ticket sales. Then again, I have no idea how their agreement structure works and they wouldn't be able to sell merch so maybe that's the issue

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Disappointing Pie posted:

i wonder why they haven't committed harder to live performances or other ways to get income. as far as i've been able to tell, quite a lot of people paid for the shows they've done over pandemic

and what they haven't done is live episodes of TAZ, which I think even more people would absolutely pay ten bucks or whatever for

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

eke out posted:

i wonder why they haven't committed harder to live performances or other ways to get income. as far as i've been able to tell, quite a lot of people paid for the shows they've done over pandemic

and what they haven't done is live episodes of TAZ, which I think even more people would absolutely pay ten bucks or whatever for

They did do a live ep of TAZ, another run of Honey Heist.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if they need more revenue, why haven't they launched a patreon it would be like easy mode dollars for them

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

I think if they really wanted to get some viewers they'd bring Tres Horny Boys out of the mothballs for a streaming show.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

if they need more revenue, why haven't they launched a patreon it would be like easy mode dollars for them

They're the only thing keeping MaxFun afloat. So yeah they probably should just get a patreon

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm sure there's lots of fun little one-shot systems that would make for a great live show. If they're hurting for cash, they could make virtual one-shot liveshows a regular thing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

you're right, I guess the thing I was thinking is like live one-shots with balance or amnesty characters that fans would be excited to see

speaking of i need to relisten to the one where griffin plays 11 year old griffin mcelroy and turns into a car

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 10, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Is Griffin McElroy implying Stonewall Jackson passed it on to him?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Live shows are probably a whole bunch of fun to do, too. I'm sure that's part of why they're eager to go back, not just the money.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Montaigne is Australian. Australians often call complete strangers mate. Obviously the brothers are using this to foster dangerous parasocial sentiment in their fanbase.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

grittyreboot posted:

Montaigne is Australian. Australians often call complete strangers mate. .

Let me just cross reference this with the GBS Aus thread

Well ok...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/actualmontaigne/status/1425256028749193217

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ooooh it is a perfect wedding song. Basic as gently caress, but good on Montaina.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just think the lyrics are inappropriate. Have you all really paid attention to it?

It's a start of something beautiful
A podcast listener
Has blossomed
Met griffin
And formed a special friendship

I could have never seen what buying merch would do for me
Sydnee and Justin take me to Sheetz

It just seems to be encouraging a parasocial relationship

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Are you doing a bit? You legally have to admit if you are, when asked

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I just think the lyrics are inappropriate. Have you all really paid attention to it?

A podcast listener
Has blossomed
Met griffin

ah yes, cause the internet needs encouragement to do the thing they shouldn't do

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

very worried people think those are the real lyrics, what is wrong with this loving thread lmao

A podcast listener
Has blossomed
Met griffin

incredibly good

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You know I thought this criticism was overblown but I gotta say, the 90-second spoken word segment explaining how you can become close friends with someone by listening to recordings of them talking was kinda problematic. I mean, did she really have to say that once you have listened to 100 hours of someone's podcast it's okay to show up at their house uninvited? I'm not sure I agree with that.