Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Sort of, but yes, even before 9/11. The offer was to turn him over to a member of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation to stand trial, but the US had little interest in that. Especially after 9/11 where America has one hell of an axe to grind, and ol' GW wants to show off how powerful Neoliberalism can be at forging a new empire.

The Taliban also had no control over him, barely knew where he was, and didn't have the capability to arrest him and deliver him anywhere anyway.

The offer was a stall at best, it was not made in any sort of good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

How are u posted:

Nah, we needed to do something. Virtually every last American wanted to do something. Were you old enough to remember 9/11?

something had to happen, the public would not have accepted nothing at all. However we could have simply cratered every known training camp and brought in a ton of people for public trials and that likely would have eventually been enough. i'm not saying that is the morally correct response, but that would have been infinitely better than what was done.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

How are u posted:

Nah, we needed to do something. Virtually every last American wanted to do something. Were you old enough to remember 9/11?

I'm sure what most Americans wanted after 9/11 wasn't a war in Afghanistan as much as just a bunch of dead Muslims, but hey both sides got their wish!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

WoodrowSkillson posted:

something had to happen, the public would not have accepted nothing at all. However we could have simply cratered every known training camp and brought in a ton of people for public trials and that likely would have eventually been enough. i'm not saying that is the morally correct response, but that would have been infinitely better than what was done.

Oh I agree. Sticking around and pretending to play at nation building for 20 years was a terrible idea. We needed to do something, but Bush took it and ran his own direction to the detriment of all.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Grouchio posted:

As Ebrahim Raisi got sworn in four days ago, I anticipate a shitstorm of bullshit coming out of Iran this month.

Speaking of which, Hamid Nouri's trial started today in Sweden! :woop:

For those who don't know, he's accused of working as a lawyer in political trials in which at least 110 political prisoners, who are named in the indictment, were executed in the 1980's. Raisi is also claimed to have been involved.

How did Sweden happen to arrest Nouri you ask? Well, one witness and former political prisoner named Iraj Mesdaghi and other Iranian refugees in Sweden came up with a cunning plan: they sent him an invitation to a luxury cruise. Turns out you shouldn't believe random e-mails claiming you have won in a lottery! :v:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

The Taliban also had no control over him, barely knew where he was, and didn't have the capability to arrest him and deliver him anywhere anyway.

The offer was a stall at best, it was not made in any sort of good faith.

It would have been easier to do than fighting a war with the US for 20 years. Even if they'd hand delivered him I'm not sure we wouldn't have invaded though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sinteres posted:

It would have been easier to do than fighting a war with the US for 20 years. Even if they'd hand delivered him I'm not sure we wouldn't have invaded though.

the invade question really hinges on GWB's desire for war. maybe we could not have invaded, but even if the nations bloodthirst demanded it, we could have invaded and left akin to the gulf war in the early 90s.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Nenonen posted:

Speaking of which, Hamid Nouri's trial started today in Sweden! :woop:

For those who don't know, he's accused of working as a lawyer in political trials in which at least 110 political prisoners, who are named in the indictment, were executed in the 1980's. Raisi is also claimed to have been involved.

How did Sweden happen to arrest Nouri you ask? Well, one witness and former political prisoner named Iraj Mesdaghi and other Iranian refugees in Sweden came up with a cunning plan: they sent him an invitation to a luxury cruise. Turns out you shouldn't believe random e-mails claiming you have won in a lottery! :v:

Baby boomers man. A miracle and a curse.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Another alternative would have been to go all Operation Wrath of God and just use all the special forces and CIA resources to specifically seek out Bin Laden and Al Qaeda for death/capture without military invasions. But it would have been difficult due to the US's humint deficit.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the invade question really hinges on GWB's desire for war. maybe we could not have invaded, but even if the nations bloodthirst demanded it, we could have invaded and left akin to the gulf war in the early 90s.

Bush was a neocon so war and bloodlust was always going to be his particular nature, but he was also puppet of people bigger than he. All the wars were planned for back when the towers were still smoldering, and no neocon POTUS would ever stop that train.

https://www.salon.com/2007/10/12/wesley_clark/

quote:

While the Bush White House promotes the possibility of armed conflict with Iran, a tantalizing passage in Wesley Clark's new memoir suggests that another war is part of a long-planned Department of Defense strategy that anticipated "regime change" by force in no fewer than seven Mideast states. Critics of the war have often voiced suspicions of such imperial schemes, but this is the first time that a high-ranking former military officer has claimed to know that such plans existed.

The existence of that classified memo would certainly cast more dubious light not only on the original decision to invade Iraq because of Saddam Hussein's weapons and ambitions but on the current efforts to justify and even instigate military action against Iran.

In "A Time to Lead: For Duty, Honor and Country," published by Palgrave Macmillan last month, the former four-star general recalls two visits to the Pentagon following the terrorist attacks of September 2001. On the first visit, less than two weeks after Sept. 11, he writes, a "senior general" told him, "We're going to attack Iraq. The decision has basically been made."

Six weeks later, Clark returned to Washington to see the same general and inquired whether the plan to strike Iraq was still under consideration. The general's response was stunning:

"'Oh, it's worse than that,' he said, holding up a memo on his desk. 'Here's the paper from the Office of the Secretary of Defense [then Donald Rumsfeld] outlining the strategy. We're going to take out seven countries in five years.' And he named them, starting with Iraq and Syria and ending with Iran."

While Clark doesn't name the other four countries, he has mentioned in televised interviews that the hit list included Lebanon, Libya, Somalia and Sudan. Indeed, he has described this same conversation on a few occasions over the past year, including in a speech at the University of Alabama in October 2006, in an appearance on Amy Goodman's "Democracy Now" broadcast last March, and most recently in an interview with CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer on "The Situation Room." On "Democracy Now" he spoke about the meetings and the memo in slightly greater detail, saying that he had made the first Pentagon visit "on or about Sept. 20."

Clark says he didn't read the memo from Rumsfeld's office. When the general first held it up, he remembers asking, "Is it classified?" Receiving an affirmative answer, he said, "Well, don't show it to me." He also says that when he saw the same general last year and reminded him of their conversation, the officer said, "Sir, I didn't show you that memo! I didn't show it to you!"

During the Blitzer interview, Clark backed off slightly, conceding that the memo "wasn't [necessarily] a plan. Maybe it was a think piece. Maybe it was a sort of notional concept, but what it was, was the kind of indication of dialogue around this town in official circles ... that has poisoned the atmosphere and made it very difficult for this administration to achieve any success in the region."

"We screwed up and left Saddam Hussein in power. The president [then George H.W. Bush] believes he'll be overthrown by his own people, but I rather doubt it," he quotes Wolfowitz lamenting. "But we did learn one thing that's very important. With the end of the Cold War, we can now use our military with impunity. The Soviets won't come in to block us. And we've got five, maybe 10, years to clean up these old Soviet surrogate regimes like Iraq and Syria before the next superpower emerges to challenge us ... We could have a little more time, but no one really knows."
[...]

USA was interested in empire and money, and used the revenge angle to indoctrinate and propagandize to hundreds of millions of Americans to make us accomplices to the entire scam.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Lost Time posted:

Bush was a neocon so war and bloodlust was always going to be his particular nature

Hmm, not quite! At least, he played the dove in comparison to say, John McCain, who the neocons wanted, in the 2000 primaries.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

W got elected on a platform of but l not being the cop or the world and, explicitly, not nation building. How ironic.

As far as the plan to invade Iraq that was being discussed days after 9/11, would someone care to post more details about it? That same "it's worse than that* passage from the same book had been posted on this thread several times this year. Do we know what the plan was aside from a list of countries?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
And were these actual plans they were expecting to execute or plans like the invasion of Canada which were basically elaborate thought experiments to make sure they'd never be caught with their pants down if any President got any particular notion?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Related: https://slate.com/podcasts/slow-burn/s5/road-to-the-iraq-war

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
It was a goal they wanted to accomplish - whatever rationalization they could construct to get there. Everyone in that administration was the loving worst

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Slow Burn is a very bad podcast because it frames US government actors as bumbling. incompetent, and themselves misled by the likes of people like Ahmed Chalabi in the lead-up to the Iraq War. This is tantamount to lying.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

The correct Iraq War podcast
Season 1
https://blowback.show/

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't have quotes, but the Bush at War book by Woodward has people trying to bring up Iraq pretty much instantly and IIRC Bush telling them to focus on Afghanistan. Obviously the 'let's transform the region' side won the debate in the end, but it wasn't day 1 Bush decided to invade Iraq. The Iraq stuff didn't just spring up spontaneously either though, and we might have invaded Iraq eventually with or without 9/11. We were bombing them basically the whole time after the Gulf War, and Clinton had that major bombing campaign in 1998 that in retrospect seems to have been what ended Iraq's WMD programs. With the sanctions regime crumbling, the US was in a position to either watch Iraq's containment and isolation fail piece by piece, or to escalate. Obviously they chose to escalate, but I feel like a lot of people just forgot that we'd been routinely bombing Iraq for over a decade at that point.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 10, 2021

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Slow Burn is a very bad podcast because it frames US government actors as bumbling. incompetent, and themselves misled by the likes of people like Ahmed Chalabi in the lead-up to the Iraq War. This is tantamount to lying.

Fair, I just listened to it while running for a couple of months and thought it was interesting. But I'm probably unusually receptive if I'm listening to pop history while running vice reading or on a web page.

I also happen to believe in the Three Stooges model of history in that, while number of great men work very hard to convince us to charge headlong into our triumphs and blunders, a greater number of men must bumble along into them.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Vaguely relayed, but the SSI / army war college study into the lead-up and first 8 or so years of the Iraq War is a pretty good read

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/AD1066345.pdf

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tweezer Reprise posted:

I think it's too simplistic to say they all got conned by Chalabi, but it's too simplistic to say the war planners weren't bumbling incompetents too. Like even if you think their motives were 100% cartoonishly corrupt, which I don't think was the reality (though I do think some of that was in there), I think there's a ton of evidence that most of them genuinely believed the whole thing was going to be a cakewalk. Maybe there were some who knowingly used Chalabi to make the case to the rest that the postwar situation would be easily resolved, but I think there was clearly a lot of hubris there and people largely believed Chalabi because he was telling them what they wanted to hear and because he'd developed a bipartisan fanclub over the last decade plus.

The Bush admin and military were literally drawing up post-war plans on napkins on the eve of the invasion, so this isn't something anyone put a lot of real thought or effort into preparing for, and since we know the real chest beaters very much intended to keep going beyond Iraq into Iran and Syria and elsewhere, if they'd been competent they would have taken more seriously the need to secure Iraq after the invasion. There's a general tendency in politics to just assume politicians are stupid rather than evil (see the way people constantly made the excuse for Trump that he was too stupid and/or mentally ill to behave any better than he did, even though there's plenty of evidence of intentionality), but I think leftists sometimes go to the opposite extreme and assume evil masterminds behind everything even when the end result is total failure. Cognitive biases like groupthink explain a lot about how bad decisions at the top levels of government are actually made imo.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 11, 2021

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Sinteres posted:

I think it's too simplistic to say they all got conned by Chalabi, but it's too simplistic to say the war planners weren't bumbling incompetents too. Like even if you think their motives were 100% cartoonishly corrupt, which I don't think was the reality (though I do think some of that was in there), I think there's a ton of evidence that most of them genuinely believed the whole thing was going to be a cakewalk.

everyone in the US military, intelligence agencies, civilian government, and media had their own reasons to justify the war to themselves and to the public. in my view, this is not 'incompetence', because that implies better personal scruples could have largely avoided the war, which i don't believe to be the case, not in this environment.

because, crucially, this is the nature of empire, these are the dynamics by which an empire self-perpetuates. most of these people ended up getting what they wanted, material or otherwise.

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 11, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tweezer Reprise posted:

everyone in the US military, civilian government, and media had their own reasons to justify the war to themselves and to the public. in my view, this is not 'incompetence', because that implies better personal scruples could have largely avoided the war, which i don't believe to be the case, not in this environment.

because, crucially, this is the nature of empire, these are the dynamics with which an empire self-perpetuates. most of these people ended up getting what they wanted, material or otherwise.

I feel like it's basically just tautology at that point. Like the bad men did the bad thing so we know they were only motivated by the evil they're a part of. I do think individuals become subordinated to the Washington consensus/Blob, and groupthink and the concept of 'where you stand depends on where you sit' can dovetail in with the whole instruments of empire thing, but I think it's too easy to just throw out a generality like that and expect it to sufficiently explain every conflict.

As for the incompetent part, even if the war was going to happen no matter who was in charge (which I don't think is super clear), the war itself was run super incompetently. The diplomacy in the run-up was about as alienating as possible, and as I mentioned before, the total lack of planning ensured the failure of the big picture war aims. Maybe the war would have ultimately failed regardless, but we'll never know because that group didn't even put together a decent effort. If they'd wanted to just smash poo poo up and go, they could have done that a lot more successfully than enduring a years long occupation that dramatically reduced American wealth, power and influence. If they'd wanted to successfully occupy the place long term, knowing going in that Sunnis and Shia had issues with one another probably would have helped. And if geostrategic issues were at the forefront, having some idea that Iran might benefit from removing the hated Sunni leader of a neighboring majority Shia country seems like something a competent administration would have figured out.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 11, 2021

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I think it's too simplistic to say they all got conned by Chalabi, but it's too simplistic to say the war planners weren't bumbling incompetents too. Like even if you think their motives were 100% cartoonishly corrupt, which I don't think was the reality (though I do think some of that was in there), I think there's a ton of evidence that most of them genuinely believed the whole thing was going to be a cakewalk. Maybe there were some who knowingly used Chalabi to make the case to the rest that the postwar situation would be easily resolved, but I think there was clearly a lot of hubris there and people largely believed Chalabi because he was telling them what they wanted to hear and because he'd developed a bipartisan fanclub over the last decade plus.

The Bush admin and military were literally drawing up post-war plans on napkins on the eve of the invasion, so this isn't something anyone put a lot of real thought or effort into preparing for, and since we know the real chest beaters very much intended to keep going beyond Iraq into Iran and Syria and elsewhere, if they'd been competent they would have taken more seriously the need to secure Iraq after the invasion. There's a general tendency in politics to just assume politicians are stupid rather than evil (see the way people constantly made the excuse for Trump that he was too stupid and/or mentally ill to behave any better than he did, even though there's plenty of evidence of intentionality), but I think leftists sometimes go to the opposite extreme and assume evil masterminds behind everything even when the end result is total failure. Cognitive biases like groupthink explain a lot about how bad decisions at the top levels of government are actually made imo.

I'm not saying they're evil masterminds, sometimes power is just power in the right time and place for their schemes to be heard and delivered. And speaking of failure, they're all richer, more successful, and still living consequence free despite being criminally incompetent on a global level, so that alone deserves a look at. 20 years and they're still mucking around the planet with an enormous black hole of money given to them by American taxpayers. And the threat of more forever wars with the forever targets of Iran and the entire ME remain present and lucrative for them in spite of 20 years of failure with the War on Terror and trillions of dollars down the drain.

They even now have a bipartisan Space Force for more money to drain to. Those people got exactly what they wanted.

There's really no need to be masterminds for this. We're not talking Lex Luthor assholes here, just typical Ivy League, old money opportunists for the most part. The corrupt system here guarantees a decent amount of success, no matter the gently caress ups, especially when dealing with American hegemony. So yeah, they probably had some cocaine-filled talks in cigar rooms over the years about the need for American supremacy the planet over, and then they filled in as many holes as they could while knowing full well if they just committed fast and hard, no one could stop them nor have the will to.

They're just opportunists with easy access to the world's greatest propaganda machine when it comes to military expansion. And as far as I can tell, they're still winning.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Taliban now have 9 provincial capitals under their control and are threatening several others, including Mazar-e-Sharif. Also the finance minister just quit his job and fled the country.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/11/afghanistan-provinces-city-taliban-ghani-mazar-i-sharif-live-news

Its actually remarkable how badly the ANA/central government is fighting this war.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

quote:

Taliban could take Kabul in 90 days: US intelligence

Taliban fighters could isolate Afghanistan’s capital in 30 days and possibly take it over in 90, a US defence official tells the Reuters news agency, citing US intelligence.

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, says that the new assessment of how long Kabul could stand is a result of the rapid gains the Taliban had been making around the country as US-led foreign forces leave.

“But this is not a foregone conclusion,” the official adds, saying that the Afghan security forces could reverse the momentum by putting up more resistance.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/11/afghanistan-provinces-city-taliban-ghani-mazar-i-sharif-live-news

Got to love the tut-tutting, need to try harder attitude from the folks who've just pissed off and abandoned Afghanistan.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1425165577056817152

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's just dishonest. No attacks of this scale would be possible if the US was still bombing any significant attempt at Taliban movement between cities.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Pistol_Pete posted:

Got to love the tut-tutting, need to try harder attitude from the folks who've just pissed off and abandoned Afghanistan.

What would you suggest we do? Invade again? Air strikes alone clearly are not enough. The writing was on the wall that this would be the outcome of pulling out for like the last decade, at least. It was always going to end like this.

What I'm upset about is the Biden admin's so far failure to adequately take care of the thousands and thousands of Afghans who put their lives on the line to help us over the past 20 years. That blood will be on their hands.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
People are saying the rate of advance was unexpected, but was it really? I kind of expected the central government to depart right on the tail of US state department personel. This seems like the moment that the Taliban had been planning and training for for years.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 11, 2021

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Grip it and rip it posted:

People are saying the rate of advance was unexpected, but was it really? I kind of expected the central government to depart right on the tail of US state department personel. This seems like the moment that the Taliban had been planning and training for for years.

In theory the Afghan military had also been planning and training for this moment for two decades, with the benefit of US equipment and NATO training

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah we all knew that once the US military was no longer there that the Afghani army would fold like wet paper

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's only surprising for those who haven't been paying attention. The government has been fighting a losing civil war for the better part of the last 7 years, with dramatic up-ticks in internal refugees just the last few years.

This was all before the US withdrew their military support/taliban recruitment drives.

EDIT: Like any deportation of refugees to Afghanistan in the last five years makes a mocking of the concept of asylum. The writing has been on the wall.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/BhittaniKhannnn/status/1425395785303302145

You got to love all these military toys that keep falling into the wrong hands.

There probably should be some sort of accountability or something, but everyone involved already got their money so yolo.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Lost Time posted:

https://twitter.com/BhittaniKhannnn/status/1425395785303302145

You got to love all these military toys that keep falling into the wrong hands.

There probably should be some sort of accountability or something, but everyone involved already got their money so yolo.

I highly doubt the Taliban have the expertise to fly and maintain these choppers. But all the rockets and guns will be useful for them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

I highly doubt the Taliban have the expertise to fly and maintain these choppers. But all the rockets and guns will be useful for them.

I would assume that a bunch of Afghan army personnel have been switching sides. The average Taliban commander probably knows a guy who knows a guy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think it's very unlikely that the helicopter will be in one piece a week from now, one way or another.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grip it and rip it posted:

The speed is a bit surprising.

When the Soviets withdrew it looked like a similar situation. Yet there the central government held on for more than a year, only falling when the USSR stopped supporting them. The government this time, while still weak, looked like it had at least a few things going in its favour.

Remember this is Afghanistan. Its a hard place to conquor-- this applies to rebels, too. The Taliban number what, tens of thosuands? in a country of millions. The terrain is very challenging in most of the country with few roads and those of poor quality. Taking the countryside is one thing, but cities? Those could, on paper, hold out for some time as they could have supplies, weapons, and a lot of people that may not like the Taliban. Plus the ANA has access to a lot of US hardware, and its troops US training.

If you asked people 6 months ago how long they thought the government in Kabul would hold on, you'd get answers like 6 months, a year, 2 years. Counting from when the US had withdrawn. Turns out they should have started counting from when the withdrawal began, not ended.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
From what I understand, a lot of these places Taliban captured were barely under government control in the first place. Like there'd be one guy sitting behind a desk in a village somewhere and a dozen Taliban would show up and chase him away. It's now theoretically under Taliban.

Things might go differently in Kabul or other important places... Or they might not.

Sinteres posted:

I think it's very unlikely that the helicopter will be in one piece a week from now, one way or another.
One thing the USAF would have no issues doing is blowing that thing the gently caress up the moment it takes off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Remember this is Afghanistan. Its a hard place to conquor-- this applies to rebels, too. The Taliban number what, tens of thosuands? in a country of millions. The terrain is very challenging in most of the country with few roads and those of poor quality. Taking the countryside is one thing, but cities? Those could, on paper, hold out for some time as they could have supplies, weapons, and a lot of people that may not like the Taliban. Plus the ANA has access to a lot of US hardware, and its troops US training.

I mean under normal circumstances, yes. But not when everyone is retreating and/or surrendering.