Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Martytoof posted:

I think at 1500 I’ll take the risk. Hopefully it’s still there on Monday. I guess if it’s really a disaster when I go look at it I can walk away :)

Very much worth it. They're so simple that there just can't be much wrong. Wrong jetting, wrong spark plug, failing coil, something like that. Valve job on a TW200 is the easiest I've ever done on any bike.

Shelvocke posted:

Can't remember if this has been covered before recently.. anyone have a light duty workshop compressor they'd recommend? With the option of an in-line gauge preferably.

If it's just filling tires just about anything will do, though I am partial to getting an older workhorse that can do everything, can be rebuilt, and maybe has some cool uncovered pulleys and belts spinning around to make things exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Phy posted:

Thank you for this, btw, I've got the paints I need to fix my Rex's tank but not the sandpaper or tapes

No problem, I am certainly no bodywork expert I just dabble. I've used this technique twice to paint over repaired rust holes in cars. Both times it turned out ok, both times I somewhat regretted putting in the effort because it is extremely tedious and time consuming. It winds up being easier to just repaint the whole part, which is pretty easy on a motorcycle but much more difficult on a car. For bike parts I would probably just replace the part or, if I cared enough about it, have someone else paint it for me.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Steakandchips posted:

List your use case.

I have been using this successfully for tyre inflation and air-drying the bike:

Einhell 1.6Hp 24L Oil Free Compressor + 5Pc Airtool Kit 230V - £90 when I bought it at the beginning of last years lockdown, roflmao £130 now:
https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-16hp-24l-oil-free-compressor-5pc-airtool-kit/p57053

you can also just get an air tank ($40 or cheaper) and fill it and just use it as needed to seat beads which was my use case

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Slavvy posted:

This is happening because the engine's high idle system can't react fast enough, probably because it's tuned borderline lean at idle for *reasons*, it's a very common thing on lots of injected bikes especially if you have a pipe. The 'right' way is to find some way of modifying/remapping the EFI, not something anyone bothers with on learner bikes but you might get lucky. The realistic way is to just give it some throttle until it'll idle on it's own.

Gotcha. Yep, if I give it a rev right after I start it, it'll settle down into a smooth idle. I just wanted to make sure it's not a sign of a bigger problem.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gorson posted:

Very much worth it. They're so simple that there just can't be much wrong. Wrong jetting, wrong spark plug, failing coil, something like that. Valve job on a TW200 is the easiest I've ever done on any bike.

Yeah, I booked the u-haul for Sunday, unless it’s an unmitigated piece of poo poo that is covered in rust I will probably take it home. Just hoping it doesn’t hell before them. I asked if he was available sat or sun for me to take a look and he said sunday would be best but would confirm, so it would be kind of a dick move to sell it tonight or tomorrow but whatever.

I’m going to mad max this TW200. It has all mismatched plastics covered in stickers and some lovely headlight assembly from what looks to be some kind of early 90s CBR already so it’s probably had a colourful life :haw:

Hopefully I have a fun new beater to post in the bike pics thread.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tw200’s rule and are genuinely great bikes. Enjoy, assuming you buy it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I already bought a fake jackal skull for the front. I hope I get the TW because that’s going to look awkward on my Ninja 650.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I did a quick search for tw200s and came across this - "add $600 for Cash Purchase!"

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2021-Yamaha-TW200-5014221774

Are they saying if you don't finance the bike the price is actually $600 higher? and they add exclamation points like it's a good thing?! I'm hoping I'm confused because other gently caress that dealer

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

"gently caress this dealer" is a pretty good principle no matter what

FBS fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 7, 2021

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Dumb idea question: anybody out there (Slavvy?) spent enough time playing with Power Commanders to know if it's feasible to modify one to work on a bike it wasn't designed for?

I got an old Ducati ST2, which they don't make PC for anymore, and I noticed some PC models from later bikes have connectors for the injectors which look identical to mine. If it can plug into the injector connectors, that's really all it needs isn't it? The default map may be off but I can just dyno and tweak it. Are there other connections it needs, aside from +/-?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

I did a quick search for tw200s and came across this - "add $600 for Cash Purchase!"

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2021-Yamaha-TW200-5014221774

Are they saying if you don't finance the bike the price is actually $600 higher? and they add exclamation points like it's a good thing?! I'm hoping I'm confused because other gently caress that dealer

dealerships / salespeople (persons of sales) get kickbacks from financial institutions and can even add percentages to financed deals for less savvy folks (i.e. people financing a farm bike lol) so it makes sense that they'd want to charge you more

FBS posted:

"gently caress this dealer" is a pretty good principle no matter what

also this

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Dumb idea question: anybody out there (Slavvy?) spent enough time playing with Power Commanders to know if it's feasible to modify one to work on a bike it wasn't designed for?

I got an old Ducati ST2, which they don't make PC for anymore, and I noticed some PC models from later bikes have connectors for the injectors which look identical to mine. If it can plug into the injector connectors, that's really all it needs isn't it? The default map may be off but I can just dyno and tweak it. Are there other connections it needs, aside from +/-?

It sometimes had a tps signal as well, I know Ducati have two different tps logics and idk how the PC deals with that if at all. I've never done a PC on a Ducati because Ducati people seem to prefer fiddling with the standard ECU, replacing ecu's etcetera. You can do some interesting ecu swaps but I'm not the guy to ask, someone on this forum played around with 99x ecu's and stuff for a while iirc. My guess would be that if Ducati ecu's are like legos, any desmodue fitting PC should fit yours you and probably an early 4v one would work as well.

You can definitely put PC's from different brands of literbike on the wrong bike and map your way out fwiw.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I booked the u-haul for Sunday, unless it’s an unmitigated piece of poo poo that is covered in rust I will probably take it home. Just hoping it doesn’t hell before them. I asked if he was available sat or sun for me to take a look and he said sunday would be best but would confirm, so it would be kind of a dick move to sell it tonight or tomorrow but whatever.

I’m going to mad max this TW200. It has all mismatched plastics covered in stickers and some lovely headlight assembly from what looks to be some kind of early 90s CBR already so it’s probably had a colourful life :haw:

Hopefully I have a fun new beater to post in the bike pics thread.

:nice:

Only "mod" I would make at first is to change out the front tire (if it's the stocker) for literally anything else. The Shinko "Golden Boy" is a great option for the front, and cheap. The stock rear tire is fine, there are only 2 or 3 choices back there anyway. The tw200 market is so nuts the only way it's not worth $1500 is if it is missing the title or the frame has been bashed beyond recognition.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s a ‘91 so I’m praying to god it’s not a stock tire :lol:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

right arm posted:

dealerships / salespeople (persons of sales) get kickbacks from financial institutions and can even add percentages to financed deals for less savvy folks (i.e. people financing a farm bike lol) so it makes sense that they'd want to charge you more

I'm used to them preferring you to finance, but I haven't seen a "gently caress YOU IF YOU DON'T FINANCE" ad before. I checked their website and yep, that's exactly what it is. Ideally I'd buy a bike from them, finance it, make sure there's no penalty for early payment, then pay it off right away and hopefully gently caress them over, but that's a lot of effort.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Go to dealership with bike money ready
Finance bike with zero early payment penalty
Immediately pay off financing with travel points credit card
Immediately pay off credit card with bike money

Bike + free plane fare IF ONLY WE COULD TRAVEL :mad:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

You could try it with a cash back card that has a sign-up bonus and maybe get a free pair of gloves or some other gear.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Go to dealership with bike money ready
Finance bike with zero early payment penalty
Immediately pay off financing with travel points credit card
Immediately pay off credit card with bike money

You can travel within Canada easily enough!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

You can travel within Canada easily enough!

I haven't been to the east coast yet, that's about the only thing I'd do right now :ohdear:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Martytoof posted:

Are you suggesting checking your motorcycle in as luggage?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not NOT saying that. Perfect reason to buy a Z125.

I do want to do a motorcycle trip around Okinawa in the next few years.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Every time I get on a flight there's at least one dickhead with a bag big enough to hold a Motocampo taking up the entire loving overhead locker.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I'm not NOT saying that. Perfect reason to buy a Z125.

I do want to do a motorcycle trip around Okinawa in the next few years.

I want to do this but on a bicycle.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
How difficult is it to find a Honda Trail for MSRP :shobon:

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Dumb question here.. I finally found a bike I've been after for a few years but the dealership had it shipped from Reno NV to me North of Pittsburgh. The bike has been strapped down in multiple trailers for almost a month now. Will this hurt the front forks at all sitting compressed like that?

Also is it normal to take this long to ship a motorcycle I know covid has disrupted everything but drat lol.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

BrownieVK posted:

Dumb question here.. I finally found a bike I've been after for a few years but the dealership had it shipped from Reno NV to me North of Pittsburgh. The bike has been strapped down in multiple trailers for almost a month now. Will this hurt the front forks at all sitting compressed like that?

Also is it normal to take this long to ship a motorcycle I know covid has disrupted everything but drat lol.

Depends on how compressed. Any amount of compression is putting pressure on the fork seals, so technically the answer is always "yes". Whether or not they'll fail or leak is dependent on way too many factors. How compressed, type of bike, amount of suspension travel, amount of fork oil in the forks, etc etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was new-normal for shipping times.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uuh no. No amount of compression puts pressure on the fork seal, because the only thing you're compressing is a spring.

If your fork seals burst in transit they were always going to the first time you brake hard, maybe from dirt or corrosion on an unused stretch of travel, but not from pressure. They never experience pressure, they can't, they're a simple spring collared seal that can't hold back anything.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Uuh no. No amount of compression puts pressure on the fork seal, because the only thing you're compressing is a spring.

If your fork seals burst in transit they were always going to the first time you brake hard, maybe from dirt or corrosion on an unused stretch of travel, but not from pressure. They never experience pressure, they can't, they're a simple spring collared seal that can't hold back anything.

Hmm I'm confused by this. The seals aren't going to pop out, they can't. However a fork is sealed to the open air by the fork seal, and when the fork compresses does the air and oil not compress and put pressure on the seal? Specifically, the inner area of the seal that contacts the fork stanchion?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Hmm I'm confused by this. The seals aren't going to pop out, they can't. However a fork is sealed to the open air by the fork seal, and when the fork compresses does the air and oil not compress and put pressure on the seal? Specifically, the inner area of the seal that contacts the fork stanchion?

No. Liquid is incompressible. The oil never gets compressed, it's a medium that the damping rod/cartridge stack is dragged through to slow/damp spring movement.

The air gap gets compressed yes, but it's trapped in the top of the fork, the pressure is entirely within the stanchion and doesn't reach the 'outside' area the seal resides in, because pressure is being generated by the damping rod.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

No. Liquid is incompressible. The oil never gets compressed, it's a medium that the damping rod/cartridge stack is dragged through to slow/damp spring movement.

The air gap gets compressed yes, but it's trapped in the top of the fork, the pressure is entirely within the stanchion and doesn't reach the 'outside' area the seal resides in, because pressure is being generated by the damping rod.

Got it. So cranking down the front end too far will expose a leaky seal, just not cause the seal to fail in any way, unless you've got some pitting in the area where the fork normally doesn't travel that damages the seal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty much yeah. On some designs it's possible to burst a seal from doing too big a bump too quickly, like landing a jump, but it's hard to tell if that's because so much fork oil is being displaced instead of running through the damping circuit that it's actually getting up to the seal and bursting past (I'd argue this means the oil weight and damping circuit are mismatched to the task, which is either misuse or poor design depending), or if it's lateral deflection of the stanchion on the bushes causing the seal to take a sideways hit and go oval.

If you think about it, strapping the bike down is identical to a fat guy braking really hard for a really long time, as far as the forks are concerned. Normal operation doesn't usually cause damage unless you have a prior condition like rusty pitted stanchions or being an enfield.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Thanks for the informative lesson on how the forks actually function. I guess I shouldn't be too worried about that aspect and can turn my attention to why has it been almost a month and they can't tell me when I'll get the drat thing haha.
I was only worried about the forks because this bike is an oddball with expensive parts I'm assuming.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Now I'm burning to know what it is.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Got my new chain and sprockets for the DRZ in. Two questions:

* Is there any reason I shouldn't just literally hacksaw through a link on the old chain to get it off?
* the new one is an o-ring chain with the clip retention on the master link. Do i need a chain tool to install it, or can I get crafty with the C-clamps I have?

Question 2's answer obviously influences question 1's. i'm ok with buying a chain tool if I really need. And am fine with buying a tool if it reduces the You hosed It Up And Now You Die In A Fiery Wreck coefficient.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

* Is there any reason I shouldn't just literally hacksaw through a link on the old chain to get it off?
* the new one is an o-ring chain with the clip retention on the master link. Do i need a chain tool to install it, or can I get crafty with the C-clamps I have?

Question 2's answer obviously influences question 1's. i'm ok with buying a chain tool if I really need. And am fine with buying a tool if it reduces the You hosed It Up And Now You Die In A Fiery Wreck coefficient.

*nah, go for it if you're not a boob
*c clamps are fine. knipex (or channellocks or w/e) will be easier to maneuver. you can use needlenose pliers or the same knipex / channellocks to fix the clip to the master link

only chain tool you ever should really own is the DID KM500R, but that's mostly just useful for rivet master link chains on bigger bikes and can also be had from the Amazon Tool Rental Service™

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

cut it off with any means necessary
Clip masters require only basic tools to install. Rivet masters need a chain tool. This assumes the new chain is the correct length.

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

What kind of water repellents does the CA hivemind recommend? Is Rain-x actually a better product or just a well marketed one?

It's monsoon season and I keep getting caught in the rain in the morning and telling myself I'm gonna get some repellent but keep forgetting because it's dry by the time I get home and no longer a priority.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you're thinking about your visor, rain-x doesn't do poo poo.

Or rather, it does work, but it turns out that water beads are even harder to see through than regular raindrops. It's the dirt streaks that really get you anyway, so just get some tear offs so you can refresh your visor once or twice mid-ride as necessary.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Debugario posted:

What kind of water repellents does the CA hivemind recommend? Is Rain-x actually a better product or just a well marketed one?

It's monsoon season and I keep getting caught in the rain in the morning and telling myself I'm gonna get some repellent but keep forgetting because it's dry by the time I get home and no longer a priority.

rain-x worked fine for me on my scorpion, but the best thing are some gloves with wipers. idk why all the WP gloves don't have them (rev'it cough cough) but they rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Or rather, it does work, but it turns out that water beads are even harder to see through than regular raindrops.

I’ve had one experience with Rain-X on the windscreen of a car I bought years ago, and on the drive home we got caught in a thunderstorm with heavy rain. The raindrops smashed into tiny beads as they hit the screen and it was honestly kind of terrifying, it effectively blinded us when combined with outside light sources refracting through them. IIRC the wipers didn’t help much if at all.