Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYcp1bUb4lU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I wonder if Jeffery Wright's blood gem mines will come back into the news when the new Batman movie comes out.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mr Hootington posted:

I wonder if Jeffery Wright's blood gem mines will come back into the news when the new Batman movie comes out.

he's a job creator, just like batman

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mr Hootington posted:

what. darn I liked him

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/cb_chism/status/1425641742213152769

[Poop Culture] star wars and anime: together at last

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1425517531884703745

Serf
May 5, 2011

he should give up. some things just work better in animation

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drat that What If cartoon looks like poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Serf posted:

he should give up. some things just work better in animation

he should give up and make something original

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

indigi posted:

he should give up and make something original

What We Do in the Shadows owns

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

But it's basically a Vampire the Masquerade game as actually played.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Akira but kaneda has a new zealand accent

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Who would play Tetsuo, Bret or Jemaine?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Blood Boils posted:

Who would play Tetsuo, Bret or Jemaine?

Matt Berry (as Todd Rivers (as Dr. Lucien Sanchez)).

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Forceholy posted:

The love story made no sense.

Their love story is a time loop because the plot demanded it. That's it.

Part of Lindelofs whole bit with the love stories he writes is that most of them are tragic. Every single couple on Lost either doesn't end up together or has a tragic ending aside from Desmond and Penny. The Leftovers is built on that as well.

The idea with the time loop is that despite both Angela and Jon know that it's gonna end badly, they still get together and play the whole thing out anyways is the tragic aspect. It's very Norse mythos-esque. Despite that It doesn't work because the relationship doesn't anchor the show thematically until the end. Before that it was a show about the emotional and psychological damages that are caused from either personal or family history then it switches gears.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

yeah it’s the best. make another new thing that rocks stop doing only franchises. I know you have to do a ragnarok to get funding for your next three mid budget jaunts but I want you to actually make the mid budget jaunts

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

Matt Berry (as Todd Rivers (as Dr. Lucien Sanchez)).

as Steven Toast

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/ACSFX/status/1425879759767093255?s=20

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The Leftovers is my comfort show :shepface:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

how could they do this to hillary

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I feel the exact same way about Leftovers and boy howdy is that a controversial opinion in TVIV

The Leftovers is interesting because while individual scenes reach some impressive heights (the long shot of entering the town of Miracle gave me chills, ngl), the series just doesn't hold up as an overall narrative - too many subplots that are left unresolved or resolved in the worst or laziest way possible. The whole is far less than the sum of its parts.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Falstaff posted:

The Leftovers is interesting because while individual scenes reach some impressive heights (the long shot of entering the town of Miracle gave me chills, ngl), the series just doesn't hold up as an overall narrative - too many subplots that are left unresolved or resolved in the worst or laziest way possible. The whole is far less than the sum of its parts.

the problem is watching a Lindelof show for a narrative. that poo poo didn’t make sense at all in The Leftovers. but when it comes to mood, feelings, visuals, and loose thematic exploration I think it did exceptionally well - primarily because of the perfect cast. you replace Kevin or Nora or Matt or Patti or Erika the show doesn’t even work on a basic performance level

like Nora’s monologue at the end, if you’re watching for the story, in terms of narrative is wholly a copout and really stupid and silly. but it isn’t about the particular events she’s describing at all in my opinion and Carrie Coon knocks it out of the gosh darn zip code

indigi has issued a correction as of 22:35 on Aug 12, 2021

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

big :chloe: energy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Who wants to rub their eyes with a cheese grater

https://twitter.com/queeralamode/status/1425953888339841028

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

wtf im homophobic now

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like how this idea that sounds like a bad fx pitch from ten years ago is also literally set ten years ago because everyone involved recognizes that the american military is so thoroughly pinkwashed today that acting like its run by homophobes is outrageously implausible even for a cartoon

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

wtf im homophobic now

Also that art style sucks poo poo it’s 2006 era flash level ew

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

i like how this idea that sounds like a bad fx pitch from ten years ago is also literally set ten years ago because everyone involved recognizes that the american military is so thoroughly pinkwashed today that acting like its run by homophobes is outrageously implausible even for a cartoon

it’s without a doubt still run by homophobes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh yeah dont get me wrong its just a really nice needle theyve threaded there being able to make their characters underdogs against bigoted leadership without actually insulting are troops in the present day

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

He's one mean *$#*@&!

Watch your mouth!

Baby, I'm talking about Steve Marryweather

I can dig it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

indigi posted:

Also that art style sucks poo poo it’s 2006 era flash level ew

Nah.

It has a bunch of obvious cg as well so it can look even less coherent.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

like legit Homestar Runner was more visually compelling than this poo poo

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
no idea why so much of the western animation industry is so loving stagnant and shits out stuff that looks like that or family guy and basically nothing else.

i know americans especially dont take animation as a medium seriously in the slightest but drat i thought it'd be at least a little better by now

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

no idea why so much of the western animation industry is so loving stagnant and shits out stuff that looks like that or family guy and basically nothing else.

i know americans especially dont take animation as a medium seriously in the slightest but drat i thought it'd be at least a little better by now

the streaming service algorithm probably tells you which style to pick when you pitch animation now. family guy for grossout comedy. ricken morty for epic nerd comedy. fake tumblr anime for zoomer-targeted shipping bait crap that will get all the creators harassed in about two years time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

honestly I’d rather see a bunch of South Park animation clones than whatever the gently caress this is. it’s completely lacking in artistry or humanity. like even Family Guy or Bobs Burgers - neither of which I like - feel like they have a unifying vision when it comes to the animation. this poo poo has less soul than the animation for The General commercials

e: I guess I’m really steaming mad about this for some reason lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hey now thats really unfair the people who make the general commercials realized how annoying they were at some point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JhqqVHidp0

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

WHAT THE gently caress #BringBackTheGeneral

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

I guess I’m really steaming mad about this for some reason lol

i get it. south park, family guy and bob's burgers at least have an aesthetic. lots of this new stuff is car-rental-tier animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TvG1q__Zx4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

hey now thats really unfair the people who make the general commercials realized how annoying they were at some point

headon! apply directly to the forehead!