Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GTO ended up in America but it wasn't a story arc sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Considering the avalanche of high school setting shows I'm curious if theres any notable anime or manga out there that are set in high schools but are also set outside of Japan. It would either be neat to see their take on public education in other countries or it could be really really funny seeing every school primmed up like a private catholic boarding school.

The only thing I can really remember about Red Garden was the show being set in New York, but the cast somehow teleported to Japan every time they went to school :v:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it was a pretty typical prestigious and nebulously-religious academy but i feel like the zombie fighting is an equal if not larger proportion of the show, if that's a deal breaker

enjoyable nonetheless

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Further to that, I'm interested in reading more manga set outside of Japan, preferably post-highschool and modernish day rather than historical
Things I've read/watched already:
* Pretty much all of Naoki Urasawa's series that are set in Europe
* Zero: Man of Creation
* Lost Man
* Space Brothers
* Michiko and Hatchin
* Eden of the East
Eden: Endless World is a near modern day sci-fi-ish thing set in South America.

Summit of the Gods is set on Mount Everest

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Further to that, I'm interested in reading more manga set outside of Japan, preferably post-highschool and modernish day rather than historical
* Lost Man
* Space Brothers
* Michiko and Hatchin
* Eden of the East

Gallery Fake is about a shady art gallery owner who travels the world searching for rare art. Some episodes take place in Japan but it also has a good share of globe travelling

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if you're up for some classic BL FAKE is set in New York and it's got a new digital edition that's kind of spruced it up with new covers and some extras.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Chas McGill posted:

* Lost Man
* Space Brothers
* Michiko and Hatchin
* Eden of the East

Me and the Devil Blues is set in 1930s America and does a pretty amazing job with the setting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

* Lost Man
* Space Brothers
* Michiko and Hatchin
* Eden of the East

Planetes is mostly set in space, but there's plots set in the United States as well as in Japan.

If you want something even more action movie, there's the three episode Gunsmith Cats OVA for basically an anime of a 90s action movie, complete with a Chicago setting.

Lupin's globetrotting, so there should be something you'd like.

Those any help?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Great Pretender is on Netflix and mostly set in Hollywood for the first season. Idk about the later seasons.

The entire second half of Nodame Cantabile is set in Europe iirc.

Both are post high school, present day.

That Works fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 12, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hunt11 posted:

For a romcom I would recommend Gamers. The very first episode looks very generic up until the end but then it starts doing its own thing which is a lot of fun to watch.

More relevantly it masquerades as a deliberately-cliche-looking shonen series about the protagonist joining a videogame club in high school. It's a completely fakeout and amazing :allears:.

That Works posted:

Great Pretender is on Netflix and mostly set in Hollywood for the first season. Idk about the later seasons.

It's not so much a season as the first arc. There's three in the first cour, each one is a scam/movie unto itself in different places around the globe; The first is in Los Angeles, the second is in Singapore, the third is in London. The second cour is all one continuous scam running in Tokyo and Shanghai.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Great Pretender is also one of the best shows I've ever seen, anime or not.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I thought the second season was just alright, didn't love how it all panned out, but the first season was excellent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KillHour posted:

It's one of those anime series I'd call a good television series in general (Monster's another, if you can kinda see where I'm coming from with this); You could show it anyone and they'll probably enjoy a couple hours of heist and scam antics.

runawayturtles posted:

I thought the second season was just alright, didn't love how it all panned out, but the first season was excellent.

The second cour is well structured and good overall with the benefit of hindsight after finishing it, but really wears out its welcome because it breaks away from the format of the first's much snappier arcs and at times feels like it just. Keeps. Going as a result.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

* Lost Man
* Space Brothers
* Michiko and Hatchin
* Eden of the East

Black Lagoon

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

KillHour posted:

They couldn't keep the Engrish going for more than ten minutes so that's an instant fail for me.

I mean the show is alright but I'm not that big a fan of those "how did they do it???" movies besides the two good Ocean's films. Great Pretender reminded me too much of Now You See Me and how much I hated the smug assholes in that movie.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I liked Great Pretender except the last season, because I didn't enjoy the tone shift and the ending was just silly.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glagha posted:

I liked Great Pretender except the last season, because I didn't enjoy the tone shift and the ending was just silly.

Arcsquad12 posted:

They couldn't keep the Engrish going for more than ten minutes so that's an instant fail for me.

I mean the show is alright but I'm not that big a fan of those "how did they do it???" movies besides the two good Ocean's films. Great Pretender reminded me too much of Now You See Me and how much I hated the smug assholes in that movie.

Same to both of these sentiments. Needed more Ocean's 11 vibes to it imo, and less attempt at drama. Also, making the MC's dad involved in human trafficking felt grossly unnecessary as well as the scene where he gets a mini figure of Ieyasu Toyotomi implying he was gonna make it big never really going anywhere.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On the topic of "shows outside of Japan" I know it's kind of cheating because they're science fiction, but Universal Century Gundam shows tend to be quite good in representing a more cosmopolitan view of the earth. Several of the space colonies show major American influence (especially the Side 6 colonies which might as well be small-town USA) and Hathaway did a really neat job depicting Davao.

The gold standard is still Cowboy Bebop where Mars is literally just Manhattan if Manhattan stole the rest of the world's landmarks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
el cazador de la bruja is about two women crossing mexico

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for all the recs - a lot I didn't know about.

Endorph posted:

Eden: Endless World is a near modern day sci-fi-ish thing set in South America.

Summit of the Gods is set on Mount Everest
Summit of Gods looks very cool.

That Works posted:

The entire second half of Nodame Cantabile is set in Europe iirc.

Both are post high school, present day.
Bounced off Great Pretender, but it might be worth giving it a couple more episodes. Really liked Nodame Cantabile.

Arcsquad12 posted:

On the topic of "shows outside of Japan" I know it's kind of cheating because they're science fiction, but Universal Century Gundam shows tend to be quite good in representing a more cosmopolitan view of the earth. Several of the space colonies show major American influence (especially the Side 6 colonies which might as well be small-town USA) and Hathaway did a really neat job depicting Davao.

The gold standard is still Cowboy Bebop where Mars is literally just Manhattan if Manhattan stole the rest of the world's landmarks.
Ah yeah, I should have thought of Gundam. It's pretty diverse for such an old series (not saying much, maybe).

GorfZaplen posted:

Gallery Fake is about a shady art gallery owner who travels the world searching for rare art. Some episodes take place in Japan but it also has a good share of globe travelling
Need to try this again. I'm all about globe trotting experts.

AnoHito posted:

Me and the Devil Blues is set in 1930s America and does a pretty amazing job with the setting.
This was very good - wish there was more like it.

chiasaur11 posted:

Planetes is mostly set in space, but there's plots set in the United States as well as in Japan.

If you want something even more action movie, there's the three episode Gunsmith Cats OVA for basically an anime of a 90s action movie, complete with a Chicago setting.

Lupin's globetrotting, so there should be something you'd like.

Those any help?
Planetes is one of my faves. I've never really tried Lupin, but I've been meaning to watch the newer series cos I really like the style.

The Colonel posted:

el cazador de la bruja is about two women crossing mexico
This looks cool

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Planetes is one of my faves. I've never really tried Lupin, but I've been meaning to watch the newer series cos I really like the style.

The latest three Lupins (counting the upcoming one) have all been set in a different European country, so that might help pick a started.

Part 4 is in Italy, part 5 is in France, and part 6 this fall is in the UK.

(Part 5 also acts as a kind of general Lupin tribute, with a lot of different authors doing one-shots in various Lupin eras, including the creator of Kino's Journey and the writer of Final Fantasy 7.)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Look into Black lagoon for sure. It's a diverse group of people working as mercenaries in the South Pacific in present day.

Action, crime stuff. Over the top in fun ways.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Oops, I forgot to mention that I've seen Black Lagoon - that is also a good rec.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chas McGill posted:

Oops, I forgot to mention that I've seen Black Lagoon - that is also a good rec.

Jormungand might scratch the same itch if you've not seen it yet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Jormungand might scratch the same itch if you've not seen it yet.

Ah yeah good call. Forgot about it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
If you don't mind the setting being 1920's-30's America, then Baccano! is a fun, short show about a train robbery, the mafia, and lots of unexpected other stuff that I won't spoil.

The narrative structure is reminiscent of movies like Snatch, Pulp Fiction, or Burn After Reading, where a bunch of separate little plotlines and characters converge to become a larger story. It's also one of the tiny handful of animes that I liked more dubbed in English than sub'd.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mentat Radnor posted:

If you don't mind the setting being 1920's-30's America, then Baccano! is a fun, short show about a train robbery, the mafia, and lots of unexpected other stuff that I won't spoil.

The narrative structure is reminiscent of movies like Snatch, Pulp Fiction, or Burn After Reading, where a bunch of separate little plotlines and characters converge to become a larger story. It's also one of the tiny handful of animes that I liked more dubbed in English than sub'd.

Be aware the first episode kinda speed-runs through a bunch of the time periods the show takes place in and settles in proper from the second episode onward.

Also absolutely watch the dub, it's fantastic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Be aware the first episode kinda speed-runs through a bunch of the time periods the show takes place in and settles in proper from the second episode onward.

Also absolutely watch the dub, it's fantastic.

"Thank you! gently caress you! The star is here!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

what are some good dubbed shows on any of the streaming services to watch in the background while I workout at home? the better the show the easier it seems for me to actually get the animus to go work out. Show just needs to be easy to pay attention to while punching things.

So far I worked through:
the dubbed parts of Slam Dunk
Flame of Recca
and I知 up to Shishio in Ruroni Kenshin( so still have a fair bit to go but my workouts are getting longer so I知 working through them at a faster pace)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

what are some good dubbed shows on any of the streaming services to watch in the background while I workout at home? the better the show the easier it seems for me to actually get the animus to go work out. Show just needs to be easy to pay attention to while punching things.

So far I worked through:
Flame of Recca
and I知 up to Shishio in Ruroni Kenshin( so still have a fair bit to go but my workouts are getting longer so I知 working through them at a faster pace)

Out of curiosity what kind of workouts are you doing while watching?

I used to get on a rower and watch shows but am curious about what other stuff people find compatible for this.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That Works posted:

Out of curiosity what kind of workouts are you doing while watching?

I used to get on a rower and watch shows but am curious about what other stuff people find compatible for this.

KidDynamite posted:

while punching things.

Was serious about that. I do 3 rounds shadows boxing, 3 rounds heavy bag, 3 rounds reflex bag, 15min jump rope, and core/functional strength stuff with a water filler Bulgarian bag, steel mace, and steel clubs. which is why I have the easy to pay attention to requirement.

Ippo is obviously on my list but crunchy roll doesn't have the second season for I'm guessing some licensing reason.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hellsing Ultimate might be a good choice then.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You exercise by swinging a mace around? Are you a literal anime protag?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

doomrider7 posted:

Somali and the Forest Spirit

I started watching this and am about halfway

This one dude's backstory is :stare:

Liking the show though!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KidDynamite posted:

So far I worked through:
Flame of Recca

I'm disappointed that nobody's suggested the obvious choice of How Heavy Are the Dumbbells you Lift? :colbert:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I started watching this and am about halfway

This one dude's backstory is :stare:

Liking the show though!

The Bird Man right?

Also, I'm trying to find a manga I read some time ago about the post Apocalypse that was similar to Hakumei & Mikochi in that the protagonist was a tiny borrower riding what looked like a furry caterpillar or something to that effect.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The only anime/mangas I've ever truly loved were Fullmetal Alchemist and Rurouni Kenshin. Any recommendations based on that?

Guess it's a combination of good pacing*, semi-grounded high quality action, humour, distinctive characters and definitive endings. Optional: incorruptible protagonists in a politically bleak, morally grey world mixed with the childlike fun of trying to figure out who could beat who in a fight.

*(Okay, these days I probably wouldn't have sat through the 25 episodes it took Kenshin to introduce Saito and everything else great about it, but it was pretty sweet from there)

• I watched hundreds of episodes of Bleach/Naruto as a teen and they very much did not tick the boxes - heavily magical, superpowered stuff tends to put me off. Despite some goofy villains amd Special Attacks, Kenshin was ultimately just about people fighting with fists or blades. And despite the homonculi and alchemy, FMA was pretty good about having it's conflicts be very physical and logical, not down to whatever X-Men power you were born with.
  • I've never seen My Hero Academia because I kind of assume it's more like the above?
  • I have seen Cowboy Bebop. (Didn't love it, but it was pretty cool!)
  • Afraid Samurai Champloo was less cool.
  • Bounced right off Attack On Titan, the melodrama and pacing was very offputting.
  • I tried watching the first couple eps of Hunter X Hunter and dropped off - but I'll admit I didn't give it much of a chance...
  • Random but I was very into the Vagabond manga early on! Realistic sword fights and historical samurai stuff was cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MHA is closer to the Bleach/Naruto end of the scale. Hunter x Hunter is a very slow start and has a pretty interminable tournament arc but once you get to the mafia/new york stuff it's absolutely the kind of thing you want, though the ending is more thematically conclusive since the manga's still ongoing, but there's no real lingering immediate plot points.

Vinland Saga might be your speed, though again the manga's ongoing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

VagueRant posted:

The only anime/mangas I've ever truly loved were Fullmetal Alchemist and Rurouni Kenshin. Any recommendations based on that?

Guess it's a combination of good pacing*, semi-grounded high quality action, humour, distinctive characters and definitive endings. Optional: incorruptible protagonists in a politically bleak, morally grey world mixed with the childlike fun of trying to figure out who could beat who in a fight.

*(Okay, these days I probably wouldn't have sat through the 25 episodes it took Kenshin to introduce Saito and everything else great about it, but it was pretty sweet from there)

• I watched hundreds of episodes of Bleach/Naruto as a teen and they very much did not tick the boxes - heavily magical, superpowered stuff tends to put me off. Despite some goofy villains amd Special Attacks, Kenshin was ultimately just about people fighting with fists or blades. And despite the homonculi and alchemy, FMA was pretty good about having it's conflicts be very physical and logical, not down to whatever X-Men power you were born with.
  • I've never seen My Hero Academia because I kind of assume it's more like the above?
  • Bounced right off Attack On Titan, the melodrama and pacing was very offputting.
  • I tried watching the first couple eps of Hunter X Hunter and dropped off - but I'll admit I didn't give it much of a chance...
  • Random but I was very into the Vagabond manga early on! Realistic sword fights and historical samurai stuff was cool.

Mob Psycho 100
Ping Pong
give Gintama a try and see if it's humor clicks for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

VagueRant posted:

• I watched hundreds of episodes of Bleach/Naruto as a teen and they very much did not tick the boxes - heavily magical, superpowered stuff tends to put me off. Despite some goofy villains and Special Attacks, Kenshin was ultimately just about people fighting with fists or blades. And despite the homonculi and alchemy, FMA was pretty good about having it's conflicts be very physical and logical, not down to whatever X-Men power you were born with.

• Even though you bounced off Hunter X Hunter, I'll echo Endorph and rec it anyways. I found its first 30 episodes to be boring and average, but after that it becomes exactly what it sounds like you're looking for, and even though the manga is ongoing the anime reaches a thematically-conclusive stopping point.
  • You also might want to give Fate/Zero a try. The Fate franchise is large and sprawling, but Fate/Zero can be watched standalone just fine, and also has the best anime adaptation imo. Even though there are magic super powers involved, a lot of the fights are pretty grounded and rely on deception rather than brute strength. I liked the ending, but Fate/Zero is a prequel to Ufotable's other Fate adaptation: Unlimited Blade Works, so if you're really interested in continuing you can. Different writers though.