Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

One last photo of Sultan "G-Money" Ghani playing with his favorite pet at his Dubai apartment.

oh the caption he had for this was "He's going to be a mighty king, so enemies beware! #lionking"

I hope Calvin and Hobbes make it out okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vernii posted:

yea the Republicans are gonna succesfully campaign on the war they ran into the ground finally being lost as a way to help get back into power because this country is dumb as poo poo and deserves every bad thing that happens to it

Dems soft on terror and radical Islam!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
america spends like a trillion dollars a year on their military and they can't even hold on to afghanistan lmao

what is moving faster, the taliban losing territory in 2001 or the taliban gaining territory in 2021?

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

etalian posted:

Comrade Xi knows what's up

Its like the most hilarious gently caress-you-salt-in-wounds to America from China if that happens. We spent 20 years, trillions, and thousands of lives + many more mutilated trying to turn Afghanistan into a "democratic" client state to exploit only to be resoundingly defeated. Then China comes in, recognizes the Taliban, and successfully normalizes relations with them and continues the big economic/infrastructure projects they got planned and makes them rich, kinda like another Saudi Arabia. LOL.

d2a

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The hot "THIS WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED IF WE NEVER LEFT!" takes from "very serious" people already coming in.

https://twitter.com/sbg1/status/1425886103362473992

Have another one.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/opinions/afghanistan-president-biden-debacle-bergen/index.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gresh posted:

Its like the most hilarious gently caress-you-salt-in-wounds to America from China if that happens. We spent 20 years, trillions, and thousands of lives + many more mutilated trying to turn Afghanistan into a "democratic" client state to exploit only to be resoundingly defeated. Then China comes in, recognizes the Taliban, and successfully normalizes relations with them and continues the big economic/infrastructure projects they got planned and makes them rich, kinda like another Saudi Arabia. LOL.

d2a

I'm also lolling at all the articles have lines of US state department reps saying they don't think Kabul will fall.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1425751441629716485

lmao Mosul 2014

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Lmao

Iraqi spokesperson vibes from Ned here

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

would have been cheaper to just pay off the Taliban from the start

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Radirot posted:

would have been cheaper to just pay off the Taliban from the start

The MIC wouldn't have liked that though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

etalian posted:

Yeah despite the simple US narrative "Taliban / Al Qaeda" as some sort of overarching chain of command, it had more in common with China's warlord period especially how things were split along regional and ethnic divisions in Afghanistan.

I admit I don't know much about the current situation, but it looks so much like the repeat of end stage KMT-CCP Civil War. Where the KMT can only muster token resistance at best because vast swathes of the population simply want their lovely rule to fall.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGbXoT_23pg

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!
I really hope that the US and its allies get most of their interpreters and others who helped them out so they don't all get slaughter. At least from what I can see is that if you renounce the side you were on and come fight with them, (at least for local commanders and tribal leaders) they aren't indiscriminately killing the helpers yet. That could come after they have full control.

What are the chances that on Sept 11th, 2021, along with the news showing the memorial, there will also be a PiP window showing the Taliban announcing control of 95% of Afghanistan. I bet that there are some back room talks in the state department about trying to prevent that from happening.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GIRL BRAINS posted:

The taliban sent their engineers into our abandoned command centers and now they have access to our tech trees

If they try to develop a 5th gen jet it'll be the end of them.

Fame Douglas posted:

"We don't negotiate with terrorists" always was a weird movie thing.

Democrats and Republicans negotiate with eachother all the time.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 08:45 on Aug 13, 2021

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

whoops

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
one the one hand the us spent 20 years murdering people for basically no reason and with nothign to show for it but on the other hand a handful of rich fuckers got to plunder a country for two decades straight, so its impossible to say whether its good or bad

now wheres my nyt paycheck?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Taliban posing with Ismail Khan the governor/local warlord of Herat

https://twitter.com/natsecjeff/status/1426094637219995651?s=21

also having some fun

https://twitter.com/qomandon/status/1426077511172038657?s=21

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 09:41 on Aug 13, 2021

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I gotta say though, the fact that the Taliban went from complete military defeat, to holding barely a sliver of border areas with Pakistan, to now overrunning and conquering Afghanistan again in a matter of weeks is really one of the biggest and fastest turnarounds and comebacks in modern history and I really can’t think of a similar example of how quickly the Taliban bounced back like this.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

North Korea after China intervened in the Korean war?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

Bideo James posted:

in 2 years Democrats are going to say that China is genociding the Taliban

i can only imagine that this move will play really well for xi in xinjiang, appropriately enough. getting to look friendly to islam in a meaningful way is basically a free win for the CCP in that situation.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 10:34 on Aug 13, 2021

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk-defence-minister-says-afghanistan-al-qaeda-will-probably-come-back-2021-08-13/

UK defense minister already starting to drum up support for the next war. UK 0-4 with Afghanistan and looking for humiliating defeat number 5.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say though, the fact that the Taliban went from complete military defeat, to holding barely a sliver of border areas with Pakistan, to now overrunning and conquering Afghanistan again in a matter of weeks is really one of the biggest and fastest turnarounds and comebacks in modern history and I really can’t think of a similar example of how quickly the Taliban bounced back like this.

Almost makes it seem like the propaganda the state department fed the media on the war progress wasn't accurate, huh.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Tigray maybe?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Orange Devil posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk-defence-minister-says-afghanistan-al-qaeda-will-probably-come-back-2021-08-13/

UK defense minister already starting to drum up support for the next war. UK 0-4 with Afghanistan and looking for humiliating defeat number 5.

Fortunately, the UK no longer has the ability to project military power abroad in any significant manner. Our armed forces are shrunken, poorly led and atrociously equipped, although you'll never hear about any of that in the news lol.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pistol_Pete posted:

Fortunately, the UK no longer has the ability to project military power abroad in any significant manner. Our armed forces are shrunken, poorly led and atrociously equipped, although you'll never hear about any of that in the news lol.

Everyone here in Singapore knows our military is a theatrical joke too, except everyone is also smart enough to avoid Anglo chickenhawk chest-thumping

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
When our press does report on the army, they tend to concentrate on the heroism of individual soldiers. So you'll get a tear-jerking article about a soldier being posthumously decorated for his bravery in helping his unit to fight their way out of an ambush, but no mention of the poor tactical decisions that got them into the ambush or of the fact that there were no helicopters available to evacuate them.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
A small price to pay to put lie to the myth that democracies care to much about their citizens to sustain decades of casualties over pointless bullshit.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/ajenews/status/1426149863885004807?s=21

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pistol_Pete posted:

When our press does report on the army, they tend to concentrate on the heroism of individual soldiers. So you'll get a tear-jerking article about a soldier being posthumously decorated for his bravery in helping his unit to fight their way out of an ambush, but no mention of the poor tactical decisions that got them into the ambush or of the fact that there were no helicopters available to evacuate them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi9hHDooAX4

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

china’s going to put a tiny watchtower somewhere and the US is going to accidentally incinerate it

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pistol_Pete posted:

That reminds me, what the gently caress happened to Jessica Lynch?
Did they quietly kill her to stop her going to the press?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

it’s so funny that the fall of Kabul will happen around the 20th anniversary of 9/11. I hope it is just as embarrassing as that sounds

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fall of saigon but in 4k and that yellow filter hollywood put on to really highlight “middle east”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

it’s so funny that the fall of Kabul will happen around the 20th anniversary of 9/11. I hope it is just as embarrassing as that sounds

I hope the Taliban copy the famous Soviet Reichstag photo next which was itself inspired by Iwo Jima flag raising.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zedhe Khoja posted:

One last photo of Sultan "G-Money" Ghani playing with his favorite pet at his Dubai apartment.

oh the caption he had for this was "He's going to be a mighty king, so enemies beware! #lionking"

lol, good to see afghanistan's rich corrupt assholes also chilling in the same place as rich corrupt pakistani assholes. while poor people from the same places get their passports taken away and get the great opportunity to become slaves.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

etalian posted:

I hope the Taliban copy the famous Soviet Reichstag photo next which was itself inspired by Iwo Jima flag raising.

Pretty sure there's a photo like that that was online a day or two ago

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TBowmanNPR/status/1426163798063337473?s=20

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What about the Pizza Hut?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol the Taliban is going to have total control before the end of the month weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

American Afghanistan Veterans crying that they fought for nothing and lost:-

https://twitter.com/hollybdc/status/1426178697065807874?s=20

At least they'll get the veteran hat as a participation trophy