Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

A lot of it is probably because he's making good use of inspiration. A lot of Star Wars music can be traced back to Gustav Holst's The Planets suite among other pieces.

I'd wager the Superman fanfare owes more than a little to Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man, too

But it's so inextricably linked to the character for me that it's weird when it's not there. A few years back when the Supergirl tv show introduced its version of Kal-el someone on YT redubbed the scene with the John WILLIAMS score and it worked perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Phanatic posted:

Meanwhile Beaumont Livingston is one of my most-liked characters in film because it's a Chris Tucker character who gets shot in the face in the first five minutes of the film and is never seen again.

That's exactly how I feel. Honestly, his only good performance was in Dead Presidents. Everything else is just talking fast and/or screaming.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phy posted:

I'd wager the Superman fanfare owes more than a little to Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man, too

But it's so inextricably linked to the character for me that it's weird when it's not there. A few years back when the Supergirl tv show introduced its version of Kal-el someone on YT redubbed the scene with the John WILLIAMS score and it worked perfectly

That music and Reeve's performance captured the character so well that I'm honestly not sure anyone will ever do Superman as well. The story might be better, but it'll never feel so perfectly like Superman.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

That Italian Guy posted:

A few years ago I was in a theater listening to a full orchestra playing John Williams's music and the Jaws theme is by far what left a mark. All the low frequency instruments make the whole place vibrate when it's played live by an orchestra and you can feel the crescendo in your gut. It's honestly disconcerting and really puts you on edge. Recommended as an experience if you can find something similar.

Gonna need to check on BiggerBoat to make sure he survived the idea of that. Heaven is real, the orchestra is playing his song.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's just wild how much of Williams' work loving DEFINES things on a visceral level.

Superman, a killer shark, galaxies far far away, dinosaurs brought back to life, Extra Terrestrials, acrobatic archaeologists and so forth. He loving NAILS every score he does and they're all unique. I have nothing irrationally irritating to say about the man nor his work. Only guy that even comes close to what he accomplished is probably Danny Elfman and that's still a bit of a drop off in my mind, even though they're both great.

Since we're talking about music and superheroes and poo poo, loving hell with Chris Nolan and his REALLY LOUD!!!! MUSIC!!! AND SOUND EFFECTS!!! mixed with inaudible dialogue. loving Christ. He's the only director I can think of where I need to keep the volume remote nearby when I watch any of his films lest I wake all my neighbors.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BiggerBoat posted:

Since we're talking about music and superheroes and poo poo, loving hell with Chris Nolan and his REALLY LOUD!!!! MUSIC!!! AND SOUND EFFECTS!!! mixed with inaudible dialogue. loving Christ. He's the only director I can think of where I need to keep the volume remote nearby when I watch any of his films lest I wake all my neighbors.
Nolan is honestly doing that on purpose to annoy people at this point but it's been a serious problem with tons of films for well over a decade. I assume the issue is they get mixed for surround sound and if you're watching in stereo then gently caress you, they weren't doing that poo poo twice :v:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I fully support not using real dogs for movies because of all the bad behind the scenes stuff related to that, but if your choice is either the CGI dog or a real dog and you don't want to use a real dog, just don't make the dog movie. Call of the Wild was just too hard to take seriously because of how obvious the CGI was. The dog's not real, Harrison.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BiggerBoat posted:

Nolan movies are really only meant to be seen in a theatre with a massive sound system with a huge dynamic range of sound.

That's what they're mixed for. Outside of that context they fall apart.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
No, they sound like poo poo in the theater too. Dunkirk was the loudest movie I've ever seen in the theater and it was incomprehensible. And this was at the best and newest theater in town. Googling it does not seem like that's an isolated experience with Nolan movies, and some people say he's even said in interviews that he deliberately mixes movies to be 'realistically chaotic'.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Imagined posted:

No, they sound like poo poo in the theater too. Dunkirk was the loudest movie I've ever seen in the theater and it was incomprehensible.

I was baffled coming out of the theater after seeing this, wondering if those who'd been praising the film saw it with the same mix (and, if so, wondering what the gently caress they were thinking)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I wouldn't have an issue with the audio mix being loud even if a person is speaking, but if said person has something that is important to the story they're trying to convey, maaaaaaybe have that be the priority.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think Dunkirk was deliberately mixed to be uncomfortable and disorienting I think. Like half the soundtrack is just a Shepard Tone, a musical illusion invented specifically to put people on edge.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I watched it on the headrest tv using disposable earbuds while flying to Ireland. Definitely sounded fine in that instance.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dunkirk is about war which is sometimes loud and often uncomfortable. Therefore so is the soundtrack to mirror the experience.

A master at work.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
It's best to read the script in advance so you know what the actors are saying.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/11/christopher-nolan-directors-complain-sound-mix-1234598386/

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wooper posted:

It's best to read the script in advance so you know what the actors are saying.

Oh, are you saying you're too good to do a one day shoot on a straight to dvd action movie, tough guy?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

That was our only complaint about the Green Knight. I don't know if it was our old theater, or the actual mix, but the dialog was near inaudible half the time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It could be that Christopher Nolan, known for his extensive use of practical effects, has some trouble understanding what human speech sounds like after decades of blowing poo poo up?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

he's gone on record about "feeling" so he's probably just going "people should be talking" and "if I can't hear poo poo neither should anyone else"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Torquemada posted:

YOU PROMISED ME FLESH

AHHHHHHHH

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I fully support not using real dogs for movies because of all the bad behind the scenes stuff related to that, but if your choice is either the CGI dog or a real dog and you don't want to use a real dog, just don't make the dog movie. Call of the Wild was just too hard to take seriously because of how obvious the CGI was. The dog's not real, Harrison.

I also think it's fine if movies don't use real animals anymore for safety/humane reasons, but I wish they'd stop trying to make super-realistic CGI replacements and just go the other direction.

Animatronics. Give me puppet dogs.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I finished watching Untitled Horror Movie and it was fun and interesting and I think I'd enjoy it a lil more if the alternatig scenes of video calls didn't sound like this:

quote:

FDNKLSJGKLDSC8U4I0PLRFVUWISMPVREIUGVYJGKLSJKLFJDSLGJLDSKJGDLSKNJKDNGKLDAGKLNHFDKGNYOFEILKCDVFHUHRJHVRJVKDUYBHJ

Yeah I get it's supposed to convey they're panicking and scared but listen. That poo poo gets old after the fifth time. Even with captions I couldn't understand a drat thing. The ending was hilarious though.

I also watched The Curse of Sleeping Beauty [2016] and I gotta ask: why is she, the person from the area the Bible is canonically located, white?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

value-brand cereal posted:

I also watched The Curse of Sleeping Beauty [2016] and I gotta ask: why is she, the person from the area the Bible is canonically located, white?
She's a relative of Jesus Christ, of course

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

value-brand cereal posted:

I finished watching Untitled Horror Movie and it was fun and interesting and I think I'd enjoy it a lil more if the alternatig scenes of video calls didn't sound like this:

Yeah I get it's supposed to convey they're panicking and scared but listen. That poo poo gets old after the fifth time. Even with captions I couldn't understand a drat thing. The ending was hilarious though.

The sun wasn't as powerful back then, and that's why Jesus was white for example!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Indigenous: you can't just lead in your movie with a statement that over 3 billion people believe in the chupacabra and then make your chupacabra entirely different from basically every legend of it that I ever heard of. He's supposed to be some dog thing that attacks goats and stuff, not some humanoid demon alien lurking in the jungle ripping tourists' faces off

also you just saw your friend get his face ate by the thing - is this really the best time to stop for a rest? And more important is this really the time to say "be right back" and wander off into the jungle on your own to try and find a phone signal and record your found footage style video? This is how you get chupacabra'd

I was glad to see the tourists get what they deserved though. The local guy explicitly told you multiple times not to go in there. And yet you went in there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Free Guy has a distinctly anti-"franchise" message that gets a undercut when there's a big climactic fight near the end where Guy is saved by utilizing weapons from Disney owned franchises. He uses Captain America's shield with an Avengers theme stinger and Chris Evans cameo and also pulls out a lightsaber with multiple characters geeking out over it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Indigenous: you can't just lead in your movie with a statement that over 3 billion people believe in the chupacabra and then make your chupacabra entirely different from basically every legend of it that I ever heard of. He's supposed to be some dog thing that attacks goats and stuff, not some humanoid demon alien lurking in the jungle ripping tourists' faces off

That's almost exactly how it was described by the lady who originally reported it.

https://monstertalk.skeptic.com/tracking-the-chupacabra-1

If you don't want to listen to the episode the first report is almost exactly the alien from the movie Species which the person who reported it had watched hours earlier.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm hardly an expert, I've just seen a couple syfy shows about it. Never heard the original report, only reports of people thinking animals (coyotes I think I heard) with mange was it, and this guy definitely doesn't look like that.

(that said, you maybe only see it for a total of 30 frames or so the whole movie, so I could be off point, but my impression was it just looked like one of those dudes from the descent more than my idea of the monster)

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Aug 14, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Free Guy has a distinctly anti-"franchise" message that gets a undercut when there's a big climactic fight near the end where Guy is saved by utilizing weapons from Disney owned franchises. He uses Captain America's shield with an Avengers theme stinger and Chris Evans cameo and also pulls out a lightsaber with multiple characters geeking out over it.

There's been a mini-trend recently of big tentpole blockbusters openly trading in explicit contempt for their audience and their own existence as products while simultaneously milking both for money. Jurassic World, for example. It doesn't strike me as clever commentary when a director takes mega bucks to make a big studio blockbuster about how big studio blockbusters and the people who like them are dumb.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Just watched Red Woods. I'd like to preface this by saying I am pretty bad at watching movies and miss a lot because I'm always doing something else too, but even taking that into account I just feel an overwhelming sense of "huh?" after it ended. Is it a ghost movie? A government conspiracy movie? A drug dealing/crime movie? All of the above? I don't really have a clue. They had a good premise going I think, up until the NSA guys showed up. I was enjoying it more when we were just dealing with the haunted abandoned houses

movies like this bug me because not enough people actually watched it to warrant writing up the plot on wikipedia for me to refer to. I guess I'll never know.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Aug 14, 2021

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Christopher Nolan posted:

“It was a very, very radical mix,” the director continued. “I was a little shocked to realize how conservative people are when it comes to sound. Because you can make a film that looks like anything, you can shoot on your iPhone, no one’s going to complain. But if you mix the sound a certain way, or if you use certain sub-frequencies, people get up in arms.”

People are saying they can't hear the dialog, when you shoot on an iPhone people can still see what you filmed. Maybe people would complain if you covered up 5/6s of the lens with your hand, which is the rough visual equipment of making all the talking inaudible.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
At this point it seems like Nolan is just being deliberately stubborn for some reason. He's not a stupid man but this is a really stupid thing to say:

Christopher Nolan posted:

“It was a very, very radical mix,” the director continued. “I was a little shocked to realize how conservative people are when it comes to sound. Because you can make a film that looks like anything, you can shoot on your iPhone, no one’s going to complain. But if you mix the sound a certain way, or if you use certain sub-frequencies, people get up in arms.”

"Well people are fine with X so they should be fine with Y and Z too" is a dumb argument, and it isn't even correct in it's premise anyways. Plenty of people complain that the Marvel movies look like oatmeal or that the Star Wars prequels look like CGI flubber. Practically everyone complained when the big climactic Game of Thrones episode "The Long Night" was too dark to make out what was happening.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I think he may actually be stupid

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Carthag Tuek posted:

:agreed:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I also think it's fine if movies don't use real animals anymore for safety/humane reasons, but I wish they'd stop trying to make super-realistic CGI replacements and just go the other direction.

Animatronics. Give me puppet dogs.

I watched a European film a couple years back that had a character (played by an normal looking adult male) that behaved and was treated like a dog. No costume, just wearing regular clothes, not crawling about. He'd sleep on the couch and have to be taken out to go to the toilet - pretty sure he had an accident at some point.

At first, it was confusing but then you accept that the character is actually a dog, but for either budget or stylistic reasons, they had a middle-aged man play it rather than an actual dog.

As it was the insane matriarch of the family was lying about have cancer and forcing her family to act out a weird drama in the holiday house, including, I think, get brother pretending to be a dog.

Wish I could remember the name, but it was an interesting suspension of disbelief for a bit.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yeah, watching The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar don't give me the impression he is all that smart.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

8one6 posted:

That's almost exactly how it was described by the lady who originally reported it.

https://monstertalk.skeptic.com/tracking-the-chupacabra-1

If you don't want to listen to the episode the first report is almost exactly the alien from the movie Species which the person who reported it had watched hours earlier.

Okay, breaking the spoiler a bit here, but I went looking for the alien from Species because it's been a very long time since I saw the movie.

Um, did it always have those giant nipples?

I mean, goddamn, they're loving huge.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Okay, breaking the spoiler a bit here, but I went looking for the alien from Species because it's been a very long time since I saw the movie.

Um, did it always have those giant nipples?

I mean, goddamn, they're loving huge.

Pretty much. It's a sex monster and Giger isn't exactly subtle about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

And if you thought the first Species already was all about loving and reproducing, whoo-whee, Species II is a sequel for you!