Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shiroc posted:

lol how many of the people involved or hurt in Operation Fake Vaccines are also now covid antivaxxers because of it, making it so the US can further contribute to people dying?

Bigger problem is that it's made it very difficult to take the final steps to wiping out Polio.

Taliban doesn't trust foreign doctors for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Delthalaz posted:

What was the false pretense for invading Afghanistan? The Bush admin promised revenge against the country harboring Osama Bin Laden.

Bin Laden wasn't there, so that's a false pretense. He was in our Ally Country Pakistan from Jan. 2002 (3-4 months after september 11) until his death in 2011

edit: oh yeah "revenge" because he had been living there, that's technically true yes. but it wasn't because we wanted to find him or we wouldn't have stayed 10 years after he died in another country

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Aug 14, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Skulk Hogan posted:

https://twitter.com/zenophelion/status/1426279582399926277?s=19

I dunno where else to post this and i cant keep it to myself.

I appreciate it

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

There were stupid nazis in my high school saying "glass the mideast" on 9/11, ergo all americans are stupid pieces of poo poo that deserve to be exterminated

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Antonymous posted:

Bin Laden wasn't there, so that's a false pretense. He was in our Ally Country Pakistan from Jan. 2002 (3-4 months after september 11) until his death in 2011

edit: oh yeah "revenge" because he had been living there, that's technically true yes. but it wasn't because we wanted to find him or we wouldn't have stayed 10 years after he died in another country

We weren't even there to get Bin Laden. We had him (or at least we thought we had him) dead to rights at Tora Bora but they didn't give it enough attention or enough men and he slipped away

The "thought we had him" is important here because if they were really after Bin Laden even a rumor of where he was at would get a couple battalions of troops thrown at it

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Hatebag posted:

all americans are stupid pieces of poo poo that deserve to be exterminated

with you so far

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's that episode of The Boondocks where MLK wakes in the modern day (well, the year 2000), and when asked what to do about 9/11 he says "Well, as a Christian, I believe we should turn the other cheek." Or something to that effect. At 14 I thought that was well intentioned but incredibly naive. Now looking at it, literally doing nothing would have been better than what did happen.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Seems like an incredibly lovely rationale for invading and destabilizing a sovereign nation

It sure was, wasn't it

:911:

Antonymous posted:

If he wasn't there how was the Taliban going to turn him over? I thought he left at some point after the US invaded.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I want to be clear that I'm not defending the United States or the two wars. I'm saying that of the two bad wars, the Afghanistan war was (is) a more, idk, normal one. A country got attacked , so its leaders designated the foreign group that they could plausibly argue was to blame, and proceeded to start killing people basically to get revenge and maybe prevent more attacks.

The Iraq War was entirely a loving conspiracy to rob and murder people for completely and deliberately fabricated reasons. Just absolutely insane.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

behold, a liberal

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just remember that if they actually cared about 9/11, they wouldn't have fought so hard to protect the Saudis from litigation.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Delthalaz posted:

I want to be clear that I'm not defending the United States or the two wars. I'm saying that of the two bad wars, the Afghanistan war was (is) a more, idk, normal one. A country got attacked , so its leaders designated the foreign group that they could plausibly argue was to blame, and proceeded to start killing people basically to get revenge and maybe prevent more attacks.

The Iraq War was entirely a loving conspiracy to rob and murder people for completely and deliberately fabricated reasons. Just absolutely insane.

*Holds up the liberalism detector* BEEEEEEEP 1.21 GIGA-SPIDERHYPHENMANS EVACUATE BEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Delthalaz posted:

That's loving stupid. Anybody with a functioning brain could see that there was no way a war in Afghanistan would stop future attacks. How the gently caress does murdering hundreds of thousands of people prevent attacks?? That only guarantees attacks, which are now fully justified!
If the us position that Afghanistan harbored terrorists was correct (it was not), the only justifiable action would be to take action directly against terrorists.
Instead, the us and its allies committed genocide against Afghanistan for a generation.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Delthalaz posted:

Dios mio! *crosses self*

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

tokin opposition posted:

*Holds up the liberalism detector* BEEEEEEEP 1.21 GIGA-SPIDERHYPHENMANS EVACUATE BEEEEEEEEEEEEP

How is saying two things are different a loving liberal argument

Hatebag posted:

That's loving stupid. Anybody with a functioning brain could see that there was no way a war in Afghanistan would stop future attacks. How the gently caress does murdering hundreds of thousands of people prevent attacks?? That only guarantees attacks, which are now fully justified!
If the us position that Afghanistan harbored terrorists was correct (it was not), the only justifiable action would be to take action directly against terrorists.
Instead, the us and its allies committed genocide against Afghanistan for a generation.

Alright I'm just going to shut up because I am clearly failing to express what I'm trying to say so I'm going to end with:

The Afghanistan War was not justified. Invading Afghanistan was mostly an act of revenge that accomplished nothing and killed many people.

The US should not have invaded either Afghanistan or Iraq.

The Iraq War was *even worse* in many ways.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the stated purposes for war rarely have anything to do with the actual purposes. that the excuse for invading afghanistan was slightly less flimsy than the one for iraq doesn't make it a good excuse.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

now legitimize the gulf war

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Delthalaz posted:

the money, saudi

the highjackers, saudi

the planners, saudi,

the boss, saudi

bro if Hirohito took a vacation to botswana as a kid you'd have us drop the nukes there instead lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Should've bombed Israel too.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Pope Hilarius II posted:

The "invasion" (if it can be called that) of Afghanistan in 2001 was a wholly different animal from the invasion of Iraq in 2003. The Taliban was sheltering Osama bin Laden and its regime had zero redeeming qualities. I'm not a supporter of any kind of war, but if any nation circa 2001 deserved to get its government toppled, it was Afghanistan. The Taliban basically were the ISIS of their time and governed Afghanistan for 5 years and managed to piss off almost everyone including their own population due to their horrible level of cruelty and savagery. So portraying that campaign as yet another imperialist adventure of barely concealed corporated greed is, for once, kind of misleading. The whole "no nation building!" was super dumb though and even a moderately intelligent person back then could have predicted the situation it would lead to.

This is apparently the 1747 flag of Afghanistan - looks pretty neat, I think.

:fuckoff:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Skulk Hogan posted:

https://twitter.com/zenophelion/status/1426279582399926277?s=19

I dunno where else to post this and i cant keep it to myself.

That does not appear to be a neon sign at all :mad:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Pope Hilarius II posted:

The "invasion" (if it can be called that) of Afghanistan in 2001 was a wholly different animal from the invasion of Iraq in 2003. The Taliban was sheltering Osama bin Laden and its regime had zero redeeming qualities. I'm not a supporter of any kind of war, but if any nation circa 2001 deserved to get its government toppled, it was Afghanistan. The Taliban basically were the ISIS of their time and governed Afghanistan for 5 years and managed to piss off almost everyone including their own population due to their horrible level of cruelty and savagery. So portraying that campaign as yet another imperialist adventure of barely concealed corporated greed is, for once, kind of misleading. The whole "no nation building!" was super dumb though and even a moderately intelligent person back then could have predicted the situation it would lead to.

This is apparently the 1747 flag of Afghanistan - looks pretty neat, I think.

we need to get the re-education camps up and running for these d&d refugees asap

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Antonymous posted:

the money, saudi

the highjackers, saudi

the planners, saudi,

the boss, saudi

bro if Hirohito took a vacation to botswana as a kid you'd have us drop the nukes there instead lol

I'm still a little unsure of the boundaries here. If the Iraqis had wanted to get GWB right after his unprovoked attack on their country, whether "dead or alive" or just to capture him and put him on trial, should they have best invaded Connecticut or Texas? I understand that targeting Washington or any federal facilities actually harboring the terrorist would have made no sense.

Now, I'm not saying that they should have killed a bunch of civilians who didn't even back the attacks in years of hunting for him, I'm just wondering what path your chain of thought on attacking where criminals are from actually follows.

(This is why your argument is usually used for Iraq, where it actually makes sense and would compare to them looking for Bush in Colombia or something. Even by people who think Afghanistan was also a mistake.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Any and all countries and peoples are justified in attacking the US for any number of reasons

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Any and all countries and peoples are justified in attacking the US for any number of reasons

It's really self-defense.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
C'mon, Chud Li was right there.

Delthalaz posted:

I'm just a dirty foreigner and was but a callow youth at the time but I've always understood the invasion of Iraq to have been largely justified by 9-11. Like if 9-11 didn't happen then all other things being equal there would have been no invasion. I see it as the beginning of our nakedly post truth media landscape.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

I've never done any research and on the face of it defending a sovereign nation is fairly legitimate but it being America I figure that's unlikely so if anyone would like to offer a cliffsnotes version on why it was bad I'd really appreciate it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bush was already working on a plan for invading iraq before he took office. 9/11 allowed bush to do whatever he wanted and what he wanted was to invade iraq.

i don't think bush was behind 9/11 because it worked out ridiculously perfectly for him. things don't go that well for even the most wildly implausible fictional masterminds, much less an alcoholic failson with feigned country boy affectations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The vast majority of Afghans had never even heard of 9/11 before the bombs started dropping. The vast majority of U.S. troops in Iraq the first couple of years believed Iraq was also responsible for 9/11, because all the TVs on base blared FoxNews at them 24/7.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Saucer Hovers posted:

It was the only way that Americans would ever find out that there are hot women in Iraq.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Mantis42 posted:

Should've bombed Israel too.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Delthalaz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJmFkbBjbO0

Watch it. Bush said he didn't care about Bin Laden on March 13, 2002.
SIX MONTHS AFTER INVADING
SEVEN MONTHS AFTER 911

One year and a week after saying Bin Laden was not important, the Iraq Invasion started.
Iraq was totally an oil grab.

happyhippy has issued a correction as of 14:01 on Aug 14, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mantis42 posted:

Now looking at it, literally doing nothing would have been better than what did happen.

One good thing to have done would have been to tell Americans, "Okay a whole bunch of people literally chose to die for the opportunity to hurt you. Tens of millions hate you across the Middle East (and elsewhere). Here's why."

But no one was really willing to listen to "Of course they hate you, your country is run by loving monsters who have caused unspeakable evil across the world for as long as they have been able."

The fun part would be working out just how many other countries that sentence also applied to.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Look I'm not saying dropping a nuke on Hiroshima was good, but there was a military base so it was *less bad* than Nagasaki.

Vaporized school child: oh yeah totally man, this argument is necessary and has a point

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/_Alfalfa_Male_/status/1426311111679242240?s=20

https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1426131780533358592?s=20

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Weka posted:

I've never done any research and on the face of it defending a sovereign nation is fairly legitimate but it being America I figure that's unlikely so if anyone would like to offer a cliffsnotes version on why it was bad I'd really appreciate it.

Gulf War theoretically had a justifiable cause; but in practice it was the US swinging it's dick around to prove it's the one true hyperpower. Saddam had previously been a loose ally of the US and thought he'd received a go-ahead from them to invade Kuwait but either the US didn't expect him to go that far or was deliberately baiting him into being an example depending on how cynical you are. Plus while Iraqi troops were pretty awful to the Kuwaitis as you'd expect, the US also just made up a bunch of poo poo to make the war look better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Delthalaz posted:

When else in our era has a country decided a criminal terror attack was an act of war by a specific nation on the other side of the world and invaded?
Let alone invaded a different country.

I don't think its exactly a common occurance. Afghanistan wasnt a "normal" war