Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Elephanthead posted:

Why would anyone cooperate with an nfl investigation Jesus.

In the naive hope that the NFL would be seeking to do the right thing I'd imagine. It's not like everyone follows exactly how bad they mess everything up like we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

NFL just sitting on their goddamn hands

It's not like anyone is going to stop watching

To be clear, they absolutely should care but at some point corporations are going to wise up that something getting 50k likes on twitter doesn't actually mean anything especially if it's a monopoly of something very popular. Right now the only thing morality still has going for it is that they do think it matters.

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 14, 2021

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Intruder posted:

Get his rear end

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

sharknado slashfic posted:

To be clear, they absolutely should care but at some point corporations are going to wise up that something getting 50k likes on twitter doesn't actually mean anything especially if it's a monopoly of something very popular. Right now the only thing morality still has going for it is that they do think it matters.

The league can survive just doing the right thing about Watson. It’s not gonna touch the bottom line.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Yeah they obviously don't based on every investigation they've done. The Redskins one was hilarious in it's stated goal of not looking for anything specific just the vibe of the organization.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Grittybeard posted:

In the naive hope that the NFL would be seeking to do the right thing I'd imagine. It's not like everyone follows exactly how bad they mess everything up like we do.

But what’s the possible benefit of talking to an org that isn’t the law and has interests directly opposed to your own?

The NFL doesn’t care about crimes or it’s players welfare, they care about money.

If anything, they’d happily help get a bunch of top players locked up and start a televised prison league where winning the bowl gets them a pardon.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Feels like a good time to mention the NFL literally had a video of Ray Rice knocking his girlfriend out cold and dragging her out of an elevator by her hair and did loving nothing until the tape leaked to the press.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is this based on him trying to fly people into Texas from other states, or on new information we haven't yet read?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is this based on him trying to fly people into Texas from other states, or on new information we haven't yet read?

Likely the first one

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Maybe a solicitation charge for every encounter? Or would that require the victims to actually be offering sex acts?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

Likely the first one

I guess that makes that slightly less horrifying? Either way gently caress him.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Bob Socko posted:

Maybe a solicitation charge for every encounter? Or would that require the victims to actually be offering sex acts?

Was his intent to pay them for services they willfully provided, or to sexually assault these women? I dont think solicitation charges would be appropriate under these circumstances, and may provide PR cover for Watson to claim that these women knew what they were getting into

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Grip it and rip it posted:

Was his intent to pay them for services they willfully provided, or to sexually assault these women? I dont think solicitation charges would be appropriate under these circumstances, and may provide PR cover for Watson to claim that these women knew what they were getting into

Yeah, you're probably right. Sorry, I don't know much about how solicitation laws work (Texas or elsewhere).

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I would think it would have to be attempted solicitation, but IANAL so ask Mr. Nice

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The only outcome that can ever come from meeting with the nfl is for them to gather incriminating/disparaging evidence to use against you in the court of law/public opinion if you ever try to take action against the shield. It's genuinely malicious and probably criminal for these so called investigations. Straight up blackmail/witness intimidation pretending to be corporate oversight.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32044710/fbi-investigating-allegations-houston-texans-qb-deshaun-watson-possible-extortion

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I could imagine a scenario where the FBI is checking out Buzbee because he's trash.

I cannot imagine a situation where you convince this many people to falsely accuse a famous person of sexual assault knowing exactly what that's going to mean for your life.

But mainly I imagine Hardin's talking out of his rear end.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I reread this a couple of times.

The headline is: "FBI investigating allegations against Houston Texans QB Deshaun Watson, possible extortion"

But the only source I see in the article for this claim is Deshaun's lawyer.

Am I missing something or is ESPN just being irresponsible as hell?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

Yeah this is just a Hardin press release. It also says this happened in April but he just found out about it yesterday with no explanation, so...yeah. Not the best article.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Ehud posted:

I reread this a couple of times.

The headline is: "FBI investigating allegations against Houston Texans QB Deshaun Watson, possible extortion"

But the only source I see in the article for this claim is Deshaun's lawyer.

Hardin getting up on some Smear the Victim.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Grittybeard posted:

I cannot imagine a situation where you convince this many people to falsely accuse a famous person of sexual assault knowing exactly what that's going to mean for your life.

It says they're investigating possible extortion in one of the 23 original lawsuits, presumably the same one that got withdrawn and left him with 22, so even Hardin isn't claiming that

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fast cars loose anus posted:

It says they're investigating possible extortion in one of the 23 original lawsuits, presumably the same one that got withdrawn and left him with 22, so even Hardin isn't claiming that

He's not directly claiming it, but you'll pardon me for thinking he's doing some insinuating here.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Wow. So yeah, that is a really lovely headline.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Grittybeard posted:

He's not directly claiming it, but you'll pardon me for thinking he's doing some insinuating here.

Fair enough

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Ehud posted:

Wow. So yeah, that is a really lovely headline.

I don't think the actual article is much better, that article is journalistic malpractice. It's just sloppy enough that there's nothing actionable to it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah it is, as mentioned, basically a Hardin press release, complete with "would I let my client talk to the FBI if he was guilty HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?????" misdirection

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

So... the Athletic reported today that Watson is yet to be interviewed by the NFL.

quote:

Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson has met with investigators from the FBI but not the NFL, his attorney, Rusty Hardin, said at a news conference Wednesday.

Hardin said Watson, who is facing 22 civil lawsuits accusing him of sexual misconduct and sexual assault, has yet to meet NFL investigators because the league does not want to interfere in current criminal investigations. The attorney representing those 22 women, Tony Buzbee, confirmed to The Athletic on Aug. 13 that 10 of them had met with NFL investigators and that an 11th was scheduled to do so.

What the actual gently caress

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
NFL literally sticking their fingers in their ears & burying their head in the sand, hoping actual law enforcement does all the heavy lifting for them.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Rapport was on Eisen saying the exempt list is for players who "they have evidence that a player has committed violent crime which the NFL doesn't have" which loving lol shitbag mouthpiece

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't really understand what the NFL gains by not taking a hardline stance on Watson. They absolutely don't want a Watson subplot heading into the start of the season.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
There's nothing they could do that would eliminate that subplot, they can only change the contours of it, and lots of people will be happy to let them go with "we're just waiting to see what the legal system does"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Rapport was on Eisen saying the exempt list is for players who "they have evidence that a player has committed violent crime which the NFL doesn't have" which loving lol shitbag mouthpiece

You can be put on the exempt list for basically anything at all that’s the whole point.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BlindSite posted:

So... the Athletic reported today that Watson is yet to be interviewed by the NFL.

What the actual gently caress

Good.

No player under threat of criminal indictment should ever cooperate with an NFL investigation while charges are still pending.

Even a complete piece of poo poo like Watson.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

GD_American posted:

Good.

No player under threat of criminal indictment should ever cooperate with an NFL investigation while charges are still pending.

Even a complete piece of poo poo like Watson.

I'm sorry, why is this a good thing? Is it really that important that Watson be able to play week one? Or do you truly think the NFL is going to unfairly smear Watson based on his testimony? Why should he be able to continue to evade any scrutiny for his actions whilst these women are put under the microscope?

unl33t fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 19, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My assumption would be closer to "gently caress the NFL," personally, but this is a weird instance to make that the top priority.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Shinjobi posted:

My assumption would be closer to "gently caress the NFL," personally, but this is a weird instance to make that the top priority.

It's a combination of this, and also that whole never being forced to incriminate yourself thing that our legal system takes somewhat seriously. Cooperating with an NFL investigation while under criminal indictment is tantamount to waiving that, which is something that should never be encouraged unless it's to strike a plea deal.

Which Watson is very clearly not doing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

unl33t posted:

I'm sorry, why is this a good thing? Is it really that important that Watson be able to play week one? Or do you truly think the NFL is going to unfairly smear Watson based on his testimony? Why should he be able to continue to evade any scrutiny for his actions whilst these women are put under the microscope?

The fact that I stated the principle first and how it affects Watson second (which you reversed for this aggrieved response) should have made it clear?

The NFL is not a law enforcement branch. They're an employer. Why should any player, when facing serious charges, jeopardize his defense by talking to people who are also subject to being subpoena'd as witnesses? You think telling a player telling his version of events to an NFL investigator has some kind of legal immunity or protection? No. It's as easily cast as a confession as any other discussion.

The NFL is also going to act in its best interests, not the player's interests. It's the same reason you never use the company's lawyer, you hire your own. They are not going to protect you if it is in their best interest to throw you to the wolves.

For the same reason that Miranda rights, Fifth Amendment protections, and bans on torture affect me and piece of poo poo rapists and murderers alike, I think it's good that Watson isn't talking to the NFL. I'm convinced, as an rear end in a top hat with a laptop and opinions, that Watson is guilty and should never play football again and should gently caress off to jail for a long time. But I'm not legally empowered to enforce that, nor should I be, and (bolding so you get this) neither should the NFL.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

GD_American posted:

The fact that I stated the principle first and how it affects Watson second (which you reversed for this aggrieved response) should have made it clear?

The NFL is not a law enforcement branch. They're an employer. Why should any player, when facing serious charges, jeopardize his defense by talking to people who are also subject to being subpoena'd as witnesses? You think telling a player telling his version of events to an NFL investigator has some kind of legal immunity or protection? No. It's as easily cast as a confession as any other discussion.

The NFL is also going to act in its best interests, not the player's interests. It's the same reason you never use the company's lawyer, you hire your own. They are not going to protect you if it is in their best interest to throw you to the wolves.

For the same reason that Miranda rights, Fifth Amendment protections, and bans on torture affect me and piece of poo poo rapists and murderers alike, I think it's good that Watson isn't talking to the NFL. I'm convinced, as an rear end in a top hat with a laptop and opinions, that Watson is guilty and should never play football again and should gently caress off to jail for a long time. But I'm not legally empowered to enforce that, nor should I be, and (bolding so you get this) neither should the NFL.

Completely agree.

But as an aside if a player is refusing to cooperate with the NFL's investigation of a possible crime, their policy should be to immediately put him on the exempt list.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Completely agree.

But as an aside if a player is refusing to cooperate with the NFL's investigation of a possible crime, their policy should be to immediately put him on the exempt list.

That seems easily abused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
At this point you'd think the NFL would throw the Texans a lifeline and put Watson on the exempt list, but everybody knows Watson wants out of Houston so Texas has to put up the dog & pony show with training camp so it could potentially entice a team to be dumb enough to trade for him. Luckily, no team is that dumb as they can see there's a real chance Watson's legal troubles are legit & they don't want to lose picks/players for somebody that would be suspended/incarcerated.

And somehow, Jack Easterby comes out looking like the least terrible person in this Texans organization.