Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I remember seeing this documentary when it came out. This kind of elective misery makes a creator insufferable. I'm glad he isn't more prolific because this dude popping up and weeping about astonishing success is something I can't deal with more than once a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The witness sucked don’t at me

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you're talking about the Harrison Ford Amish crime movie, yes. Yes it did.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I’ve never seen that video before. Me and my partner were belly laughing. Lol

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

I couldn't give two shits about whatever hipster background dialogue was going on, but the puzzles were fun.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you're talking about the Harrison Ford Amish crime movie, yes. Yes it did.

:wrong:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Happy Hedonist posted:

I’ve never seen that video before. Me and my partner were belly laughing. Lol

This is one of the videos that I rewatch every time it’s posted time. There ain’t no point to the game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
That whole movie is so weird. Phil Fish is all over it, burning the gently caress out of his offscreen former business partner in a fit of what now registers as intentional narrativecraft on his part. They picked the worst two dudes to focus on.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Both the Harrison Ford Amish movie and the video game of the same title own.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

GigaPeon posted:

I've restarted Hades a few times cause I got in in early access and wanted fresh starts when they added new stuff. Pretty painless to button mash through.

Starting it up fresh again after 170+ escape attempts on switch/pc is sort of cool, until you realize how loving slow you are and with just 1 dash to start out with Megaera is actually a challenge!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Blow is one of the most pretentious motherfuckers ever.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Any must have non spoiler tips for Hades? Seems like you just wanna farm keys and purple crystals first and play around with the weps until you find something you gel with? Only done like 3 runs but go upto the Minotaur and shield dude boss somehow lol

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

hanyolo posted:

Any must have non spoiler tips for Hades? Seems like you just wanna farm keys and purple crystals first and play around with the weps until you find something you gel with? Only done like 3 runs but go upto the Minotaur and shield dude boss somehow lol

Yeah basically? Mess around with builds until you’ve sampled everything and figured out more or less what you like. There’s tons of dialogue content to keep things fresh more or less no matter how much you die, so don’t worry about it, gently caress around.

E: I’ll also note that while some builds are generally stronger than others, there’s no god that’s just utter trash and no way to permanently screw yourself.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I wonder if this game will be good, seems like it could be fun. It's supposed to come out in a couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHIrwiCx0mA

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

hanyolo posted:

Focus on getting your extra dash and death defiances first from the mirror, give your first couple of nectars yo Skelly and Cerberus.

Edit: Unlock all the weapons before spending keys on the mirror.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Nuts and Gum posted:

Starting it up fresh again after 170+ escape attempts on switch/pc is sort of cool, until you realize how loving slow you are and with just 1 dash to start out with Megaera is actually a challenge!

Got to Theseus and the Minotaur on my third run with still only one dash.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The Witness is one of my favorite games of the past decade. Don't bother with the audio logs, they are meaningless trash. Just enjoy the excellent puzzles and cool art and environment.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

:emptyquote:

Did not get the appeal.

Edit

hanyolo posted:

It’s perfectly fine to use God Mode. Focus on getting weapons from the keys.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Started playing The Ascent on PC, and man this game is really good! The story is kind of meh so far, but the basic gunplay and combat is fun. Had two crashes this morning, and discovered the bug where no audio will come through the headphones if using them via bluetooth. Definitely going to need a couple patches to fix some issues here and there.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

harperdc posted:

:emptyquote:

Did not get the appeal.

the appeal begins and ends with 'jonathan blow is just such a genius you guys' and has nothing to do with the actual quality of the game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I remember people talking about it when it came out and all I could think of was "$60 for a walking simulator + puzzle game?!"

I'd probably check it out now for like $15 or if it was on Game Pass. Seems interesting enough.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its like if every puzzle in myst was sudoku

BisterdDave posted:

Started playing The Ascent on PC, and man this game is really good! The story is kind of meh so far, but the basic gunplay and combat is fun. Had two crashes this morning, and discovered the bug where no audio will come through the headphones if using them via bluetooth. Definitely going to need a couple patches to fix some issues here and there.

First impressions are strong but my interest ran out of steam long before the padded run time was over.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

^beaten, sorta

American McGay posted:

I remember people talking about it when it came out and all I could think of was "$60 for a walking simulator + puzzle game?!"

I'd probably check it out now for like $15 or if it was on Game Pass. Seems interesting enough.

a more apt description would be '60 dollars for bad myst'

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the appeal begins and ends with 'jonathan blow is just such a genius you guys' and has nothing to do with the actual quality of the game

Nah, I know more people who enjoyed The Witness who don’t know who Jonathan Blow is than people who know who Jonathan Blow is.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Real hurthling! posted:

First impressions are strong but my interest ran out of steam long before the padded run time was over.

If I can get a few hours of fun out of it, then it was worth it. I heard overall it's <20 hours, which doesn't sound too bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

witness the shitness

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's mindless but really fun. They need to add a postgame endless dungeon or something for co-op though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Challenge in The Witness was a pretty great last boss.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I’m sure there was more to The Witness than the puzzles, but I didn’t enjoy the puzzle enough to play dozens of variations on it.

I did enjoy The Talos Principle tho.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I absolutely loved The Witness, but I can't stand Jonathan Blow.

Same with Fez and Phil Fish.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
People always lose their minds when a game/movie/book has an obnoxious auteur creator. Just ignore it and play the game.

Anyway the third era of Art of Rally (late 70s-80s) was kicking my rear end until I found that boxy swedish car and now I’m posting decent leaderboard times. Finding a car to fit your style makes a massive difference. gently caress those Italian cars that fishtail at the slightest provocation.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ColdPie posted:

The Witness is one of my favorite games of the past decade. Don't bother with the audio logs, they are meaningless trash. Just enjoy the excellent puzzles and cool art and environment.

Yup. Jonathan Blow lives up his own rear end but Witness is undeniably the best puzzle game I've ever played.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

hanyolo posted:

Always a good time to remind people of the Goon run site, Before I Play.

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Hades

Lots of non spoiler beginners advice.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Tsietisin posted:

Always a good time to remind people of the Goon run site, Before I Play.

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Hades

Lots of non spoiler beginners advice.

just started hades, this is very helpful, thank you!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

I’m sure there was more to The Witness than the puzzles, but I didn’t enjoy the puzzle enough to play dozens of variations on it.

No, the puzzles are pretty much it. It's all about discovering the rules of each symbol and then exploring those rules, corner cases, and how the rules interact with each other. It's a masterpiece of puzzle game design and nonverbal communication. It's fine if it's not for everyone, but it's really good at what it does.

Also cool art.

It is nothing at all like Myst. It has more in common with those puzzle magazines at the grocery store checkout aisle than Myst.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ColdPie posted:

No, the puzzles are pretty much it. It's all about discovering the rules of each symbol and then exploring those rules, corner cases, and how the rules interact with each other. It's a masterpiece of puzzle game design and nonverbal communication. It's fine if it's not for everyone, but it's really good at what it does.

Also cool art.

It is nothing at all like Myst. It has more in common with those puzzle magazines at the grocery store checkout aisle than Myst.
I mean it is deliberately like Myst but with consistent puzzles, that was the whole impetus behind it.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Akuma posted:

I mean it is deliberately like Myst but with consistent puzzles, that was the whole impetus behind it.

But myst's whole thing is the puzzles being a part of the game world, or really the game world itself being the puzzle.

Apart from a fairly small number of exceptions, the game world in the witness was just an overly elaborate mildly inconvenient menu system for getting you from one set of puzzles to the next. 98% of the puzzles were just things on a tv in the game. It was comendable how well it elaborated and expanded on its core design as you went, but it did nothing to scratch the itch that myst/obduction/the room gave me.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I love the witness AND Jon blow.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mierenneuker posted:

Same. The thing that made me quit tho is that I didnt like how obtuse the tutorial parts of the witness were. Like heres 10 puzzles at the start of an area to teach you whats going on but oops i hope you didnt get the wrong impression from one of them that might have been ambiguous or you are screwed forever here until you rage quit and look up whats wrong.

If i had to critique talos, id say it had a few too many puzzles where i couldnt tell if i was solving them as intended or finding a weird exploit.
Its world was also a bit too austere and uninteresting visually imo too but thats subjective. Im not a big text log narrative guy either but some people say they enjoyed that part idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Talos Principle's story was pretty good (and the side bits and flavor copy were surprisingly entertaining), but yeah you had to be super okay with digging through a ton of text logs for it.