Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

silicone thrills posted:

lmao at dipshits who cant do math looking a that bullshit report of only 200 covid cases at lolla and going "oh well thats fine"

200 base cases with an r0=8

What's the math on that in 2-3 generations with little to no mitigations because the US is full of loving morons who think "quarantining" involves still going to the bar (but only on thursdays)

I mean that "data" is also clearly bullshit

There's no way at all we could possibly be tracking the impact of Lollapalooza at this point and the immediate "NO CASES! NO CASES!" is a dead giveaway that they're not even really trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

https://twitter.com/B52Malmet/status/1426554734857515010

quote:

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Oregon’s governor said Friday she will send up to 1,500 National Guard troops to hospitals around the state to assist healthcare workers who are being pushed to the brink by a surge of COVID-19 cases driven by the Delta variant.

Gov. Kate Brown, a Democrat, said the first group of 500 Guard members will be deployed next Friday to serve as material and equipment runners in the most stricken hospitals and to help with COVID-19 testing, among other things. Troops will be sent to 20 hospitals around Oregon.

There are 733 people hospitalized with the virus in Oregon as of Friday, including 185 people in intensive care units — more than 60 people more than just a day before and nearly double what the number was two weeks ago.

uhhh not to downplay the oregon situation but for comparison, FL has over 16,000 covid pts in their hospitals right now

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Paradoxish posted:

I mean that "data" is also clearly bullshit

There's no way at all we could possibly be tracking the impact of Lollapalooza at this point and the immediate "NO CASES! NO CASES!" is a dead giveaway that they're not even really trying.

Oh yeah definitely, im just pointing out that if even if you were stupid enough to think that 200 cases was accurate, its still loving horrible when you consider an r0=8 virus.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

this. is loving grim

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"She's Lost Control" just starting playing as I got to the bottom of the page - seems appropriate. :hmmyes:

Iverron
May 13, 2012

anyone got a dece Biden Mission Accomplished pic on hand?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1426586022129717251?s=20

where da MMR maniacs at?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Thoguh posted:

The only consistent platform plank of the modern republican party is that they be allowed to do whatever they want and suffer no consequences. Everything else is just built around that.

Amazing that the democrat plank of "Fill out this ten page form in triplicate and we'll let you know in 6-8 weeks if you actually deserve basic rights or not" has trouble competing with that

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I got 2 doses this year....

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
unsourced idiocy:

Eh, besides the expected lung damage/organ damage experienced very rarely by severe cases the more common “long COVID” claims are likely the result of pandemic and political anxiety and depression. The past year and a half has been extremely disorienting for people and so them coming out of a mild case of COVID (or not, a lot of long COVID folks never had a positive rest) with brain fog and sluggishness should be seen as a reason to reinvigorate providing people with support and community. Instead it seems like the claims of chronic pain, fainting spells, etc., attested primarily by Brown graduates with media careers is going to overdetermine our expectations for the typical long COVID case. That’s not to mention accruing social and career benefits by stealing disability status and being diagnosed with what is essentially morgellons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pandemic of the unvaccinated

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I threw together a quick list of topics/questions I'm going to discuss with my family. Did it over my morning coffee so it probably has some omissions, and I'd appreciate it if other eyes took a look and made suggestions.

I'm just hoping give enough info so that they have a decent "foundation" of knowledge for what's happened and what's still to come. Make it so that they raise an eyebrow at unmasked folks at a park, demands of the brunch crowd, and friends planning vacations.

Some stuff is super basic but I wanted to make it as accessible as possible regardless of the audience.

Thanks & merci for your input.

1 - Diff between Sars-Cov-2 and Covid-19

2 - Diff between Summer 2020 and Summer 2021 re: public restrictions & exposure risks

3 - How infection occurs

4 - How immune system responds

5 - How transmission occurs

6 - Fomate vs Droplet vs Aerosol transmission

7 - How vaccine works, and why it's unlike common childhood vaccines

8 - What vaccine does and doesn't impact

9 - Why vaccine efficiency decreases with time

10 - Why vaccine boosters will be necessary

11 - Why the "pandemic of the unvaccinated" stancd is both cruel and ignorant

12 - Mask types and comparative protection

13 - Respirators & their pros/cons

14 - What about the news reports saying "99.x% of hospitalized patients are unvaxxed" or "0.003% of vaxxed have died"

15 - Genome mutation of a virus

16 - Immune escape mutations

17 - Wildtype vs Alpha vs Beta vs Delta vs Lambda vs future variants

18 - What happened to "herd immunity"?

19 - What happened to "natural immunity" after being infected and recovering?

20 - What happened to "children don't get covid"?

21 - If in-person schooling was discouraged last year, is it safer now?

22 - Air quality, HEPA filters, and fundamental issues with school and office designs

23 - If risk is increasing then why isn't the news coverage similar to March 2020?

24 - If risk is increasing then why did borders open & governments approve in-school classes?

25 - How much longer will masking and distancing be necessary?

26 - How will we know when the pandemic is "over"?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/wa-state-hospitals-at-or-near-capacity-bracing-themselves-for-influx-of-pateients

Wash. state hospitals near breaking point amid surge of new COVID-19 cases

quote:

SEATTLE --The increase in COVID-19 cases in Washington state has brought a growing number of infected patients to medical centers seeking care along with a spike in visits to the intensive care unit as many regional hospitals say they are at or near full capacity, state health officials report.

According to data from the Washington Department of Health, 86 percent of the total adult hospital beds in the state are full.

“We are very busy in all our nursing units; our emergency departments are extremely busy (and) we are seeing very high volumes in our urgent care, in our EDs, etc.” said Thomas Debord, chief operating officer of Overlake Medical Center. “If they truly need a critical care bed that we don’t have, then we would work with other hospitals in the region to get them transferred.”

Meanwhile, KOMO News confirmed that St. Peter Providence Hospital in Olympia had to divert ambulances on Thursday saying, “Current inpatient census is extremely high.”

A Providence Hospital spokesperson told KOMO News late Friday that their hospitals are at or near 100 percent capacity.

The spokesperson said area hospitals are all coordinating with each other and sending each other patients if they have exceeded capacity.

Inslee. Where the gently caress is the mask mandate you loving moron?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

whoa holy poo poo twitter, breaking news!!

*coo-kshaaa* BRMNs *coo-kshaaa* (editor's note: this is respirator-speak for "beans")

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

Desantis 2024 would still be my bet, since fascists don't generally suffer any popularity consequences for enacting policies that get masses of their own people killed as long as they retain state and media power long enough to tell everyone the other did it

getting some The Dead Zone vibes

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

DoombatINC posted:

whoa holy poo poo twitter, breaking news!!

*coo-kshaaa* BRMNs *coo-kshaaa* (editor's note: this is respirator-speak for "beans")

What's happening
COVID-19 - LIVE
Experts say we appear to have entered a time warp to early 2020

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

lmao at dipshits who cant do math looking a that bullshit report of only 200 covid cases at lolla and going "oh well thats fine"

200 base cases with an r0=8

What's the math on that in 2-3 generations with little to no mitigations because the US is full of loving morons who think "quarantining" involves still going to the bar (but only on thursdays)

"we did almost no contact tracing, bare minimum testing and have no real way to follow up with everyone and are relying on self-reporting and we still got 200 confirmed cases of infection, that's really bad" - a sane evaluation of this data

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the “cars are also dangerous” argument makes me so mad lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

euphronius posted:

lol this is what got me to call a colleague a psychopath to their face.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Grocery run time

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Inslee. Where the gently caress is the mask mandate you loving moron?

It's not happening. We're going into this one full throttle.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ok can someone give me a TLDR on where I can get good masks in bulk to distribute when poo poo hits the fan? (Moreso than currently)

(United States goon)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I got the urges to gawk at more sturgis!!

https://www.sturgis-sd.gov/webcams-in-and-around-sturgis

can't wait to watch the big fun map over the next couple weeks as these diseased cattle shamble back home

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wow...if only those children had been in school, learning, instead of working as crisis actors in a hospital

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kalensc posted:

Grocery run time

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

The only consistent platform plank of the modern republican party is that they be allowed to do whatever they want and suffer no consequences. Everything else is just built around that.

it's "To my friends, everything; To my enemies, the law."

they and their cultural peer group can do whatever they want with full government aid and protection, while the cultural peer group they see as enemies must be left defenseless and actively persecuted by the same government. there's no moral or legal consistency to it, it all depends on what side of the fence you land on.

when "doing whatever they want" results in illness and death, they refuse to see it as a natural consequence to their actions and convince themselves that it's either not happening or it's the result of a sinister plot hatched by their enemies (or sometimes both simultaneously!)

we're approaching the point where a high percentage of non-pediatric hospitalized covid cases are going to be combative, delusional chuds and it's just going to burn out what's left of our hospital staff that much faster

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

it's called harm reduction

more like arm reduction lmao

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

u dont need those limbs citizen

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
modern republicanism is basically Peronism

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The average number of vehicle trips made by a household in a year's time was 1,865 in 2017 - I found this on the internet

if driving were as dangerous as covid (1 in 6 get severe symptoms) then your family would get severe symptoms from driving approximately 335 times a year

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

when I drive my car I intentionally remove my brake pads and then veer wildly at any vehicle that appears to be driving safely

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

The Oldest Man posted:

It's not happening. We're going into this one full throttle.

it's complete lunacy too because both LA and SF have seen their case climb noticeably decrease a week after putting in mask mandates

WTF washington!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I'm not dead yet so accidents are a hoax

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Paradoxish posted:

when I drive my car I intentionally remove my brake pads and then veer wildly at any vehicle that appears to be driving safely

I also willfully ignored that the interiors of cars have been made so safe that there's some models over the last 10 years that have literally never had a death in them related to an accident - this of course being detrimental to anyone outside of the car.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you be idiotic to walk in this heat regardless

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

kalensc posted:

I threw together a quick list of topics/questions I'm going to discuss with my family.

If anything that's too much poo poo to throw at somebody/your family at once. I'd pare it down to like

Delta is way different.

It's important to wear a very good sealed mask if you are sharing air with someone that doesn't live in your house. This counts outside too.

Assume this is the new normal. If it burns out in a couple of years on its own we'll consider it a miracle.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

kalensc posted:

I threw together a quick list of topics/questions I'm going to discuss with my family. Did it over my morning coffee so it probably has some omissions, and I'd appreciate it if other eyes took a look and made suggestions.

I'm just hoping give enough info so that they have a decent "foundation" of knowledge for what's happened and what's still to come. Make it so that they raise an eyebrow at unmasked folks at a park, demands of the brunch crowd, and friends planning vacations.

Some stuff is super basic but I wanted to make it as accessible as possible regardless of the audience.

Thanks & merci for your input.

1 - Diff between Sars-Cov-2 and Covid-19

2 - Diff between Summer 2020 and Summer 2021 re: public restrictions & exposure risks

3 - How infection occurs

4 - How immune system responds

5 - How transmission occurs

6 - Fomate vs Droplet vs Aerosol transmission

7 - How vaccine works, and why it's unlike common childhood vaccines

8 - What vaccine does and doesn't impact

9 - Why vaccine efficiency decreases with time

10 - Why vaccine boosters will be necessary

11 - Why the "pandemic of the unvaccinated" stancd is both cruel and ignorant

12 - Mask types and comparative protection

13 - Respirators & their pros/cons

14 - What about the news reports saying "99.x% of hospitalized patients are unvaxxed" or "0.003% of vaxxed have died"

15 - Genome mutation of a virus

16 - Immune escape mutations

17 - Wildtype vs Alpha vs Beta vs Delta vs Lambda vs future variants

18 - What happened to "herd immunity"?

19 - What happened to "natural immunity" after being infected and recovering?

20 - What happened to "children don't get covid"?

21 - If in-person schooling was discouraged last year, is it safer now?

22 - Air quality, HEPA filters, and fundamental issues with school and office designs

23 - If risk is increasing then why isn't the news coverage similar to March 2020?

24 - If risk is increasing then why did borders open & governments approve in-school classes?

25 - How much longer will masking and distancing be necessary?

26 - How will we know when the pandemic is "over"?

point out how death is not the only concern, explain the long term effects and how debilitating it can be. could be part of #4

good luck. i admire the effort. hopefully they're more receptive than my family was, lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

it's complete lunacy too because both LA and SF have seen their case climb noticeably decrease a week after putting in mask mandates

WTF washington!

Everybody loving knows NPIs work, it's not like you needed to just wait for the study on whether wearing masks would help curb delta. We're just going in full throttle because number might get scared and Jay needs it to be a full blown crisis with kids in coffins first so he doesn't have to shoulder the responsibility of leadership again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a 26-course lecture is not going to convince anyone who needs to be convinced