Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Jetfighter III was my jam. I still get the menu music stuck in my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 14, 2009

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
I loved US Navy Fighters as a kid. I grew up and still live in Berlin and we have a large outdoor military aviation museum that was like seeing my heroes in real life for me. I also loved loving around with the quick mission generator, like attacking a carrier formation by myself and trying to survive as long as possible.

There was another game around that time that allowed you, after ejecting, to run sound on the ground and shoot a little pistol at .. trees or something, it was pointless but fun anyway. Anyone remember that? Joint Strike Fighter maybe?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ATF and EF2000 got me into jet sims as a teen, which led to eventually getting flight lessons, which led to me being tired as hell right now from flying a Boeing 767 all night

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Animal posted:

ATF and EF2000 got me into jet sims as a teen, which led to eventually getting flight lessons, which led to me being tired as hell right now from flying a Boeing 767 all night

Discussion > Games > Flight Sim Megathread: a gateway to professional tiredness and boredom.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://youtu.be/rbgJGg5yd1A

:corsair:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The family computer was a Mac IIvi so my first flight sim was Hellcats Over the Pacific

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxkUUwexKfk

Combat Pretzel posted:

b) I'd love a decent F-22 or F-35 for DCS instead.

I don't think there's much point in that, since the airplane systems are all still top secret, and without those modeled accurately you're just flying a faster F-15 that can't be hit with missiles.

I want more multi-crew planes and early cold war stuff please. And at least one heavy bomber. DCS B-58 when

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Chuck Yeagher Air Combat on Pc and Fa18 Interceptor on the amiga. Just good memories of playing them.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We were a Commodore family growing up, and I spent a ton of time on the pre-MS Flight Sim2.0 on the C64. Later it was Chuck Yeager and Red Baron on an Amiga500.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gunship, spending more time marveling at the manual than flying, then Gunship 2000, sending my kiowas up ahead to die gloriously while I lumbered along in the blackhawk cos I never figured out how to issue pickup/drop-off commands to other pilots

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I had brief access to flight sim on the C64, but after that I don't think I had access to any kind of flight sims until my family got a proper home PC many years later, and it was all downhill from there.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Animal posted:

:hellyeah:

ATF and USNF 97 were my Janes jams, as well as Longbow and 688i, and I was like 7 years old :v:

Chubby Henparty posted:

Gunship, spending more time marveling at the manual than flying, then Gunship 2000, sending my kiowas up ahead to die gloriously while I lumbered along in the blackhawk cos I never figured out how to issue pickup/drop-off commands to other pilots

There is a really good mod for Enemy Engaged Comanche vs Hokum (I believe they're related to Gunship?)

http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

lobsterminator posted:

I mainly played Red Baron, but all these Dynamix sims with the same engine had a nice balance of realism and fun gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXyC0koTuJk

Silent Thunder 2 I think was the first flight sim I ever really got into and why I still have a soft spot for the A-10 to this day.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My first plane Game was Janes USNF. I was 7 or 8 years ago and recognized the F14 on the cover from TV and bugged my grampa until he got me the game :v:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IIRC, janes us navy was also the first sim I could remember that had a chance for a “cold cat” catapult launch failure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Imagine talking about the greatest old arcade-y flight sims and not talking SimCopter. A shameful thread.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Putting Simcopter radio stations while playing other flight sims is a whole mood.

....gently caress I need to do that with neofly going.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I can’t remember if SimCopter was my first but it’s absolutely first in my heart. That game rocked so much.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sim Copter was the greatest. "Go home you stupid idiots!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The #basic-flying-help channel on the FS2020 discord is fun

there was another one i can't find now where the guy hadn't discovered the "swap frequency" button on the radio. it's kinda cute

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The #basic-flying-help channel on the FS2020 discord is fun

there was another one i can't find now where the guy hadn't discovered the "swap frequency" button on the radio. it's kinda cute

Absolutely love the middle one. The others are understandable "Oh duh, I didn't know that" where in the middle one the guy constructed an elaborate idea of what he thought flight level meant, while still somehow understanding the basics of it.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
I must have been the only one who had this game in the 90s since I've never seen anyone else talk about it, but I can still do the whole theme song in my head. Heroes of the 357th: https://youtu.be/Z9hbyRWB7kI

I probably played with the keyboard most of the time and didn't really know what was going on other than "shoot planes" but I loved that game! I remember the feeling when I finally shot down a V1. The best.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Flying Corps Gold was my first flight sim. A super fun WWI combat sim that came with giant paper maps of the mission areas so you could plot your route out.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8GKItdDeBA

F-14, yes please.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Too bad you can't put two people in it. The DCS F-14 is the best-made module in that game, and doing multi crew is the most fun I've ever had with a flight simulator.

If the DCS aircraft and weapons systems were somehow implemented into MSFS I would be in heaven.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Speaking of fighters, any word on when that top gun DLC for MSFS is coming out?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
"Fall".

Rumors are that it's gonna coincide with the new Top Gun film, which releases November 19th.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Has there been any chat about pedals recently? Jumped in on the Alpha and have the hardware bug bad now :homebrew:

I know I'll get the Bravo as well (any speculation on if estimated shipping dates are reliable on those, btw?)

My interests are much more in the piston multiengine and early jet than contemporary poo poo so I'm debating between a hotass and just supplementing the Bravo with a CH figherstick (does CH still live up to its quality reputation?). Best Buy does have the Thrustmaster T.16000M hotas with pedals for 259--how would that stack up quality-wise against the CH stick and pedals for roughly the same price?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

skooma512 posted:

There is a really good mod for Enemy Engaged Comanche vs Hokum (I believe they're related to Gunship?)

http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Neat! Gonna check this out, having hit a wall on the Blackshark DCS (and will definitsly do the same on their Apache)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Anyone know how to get a hold of LVARs for third party planes? Been messing with some things but I have no idea how to access some of the more custom things.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skooma512 posted:

Putting Simcopter radio stations while playing other flight sims is a whole mood.

....gently caress I need to do that with neofly going.

Would live streams from just about every radio station globally be your jam ?

http://radio.garden/visit/orleans/fyjKuWJ9

bonus link:

drive-thrus of major cities with radio and street noise. I like this one for backgrounding during boring meetings.

https://driveandlisten.herokuapp.com/

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I bought a new joystick (airbus logitech thing, not bad!) for MS flight sim, but now after looking around it appears what I really want is a flight yoke. Should I buy a honeycomb alpha + flight controls? can I use any pedals I want? Eventually I would love to go for a real pilots license, but right now it's me being bored and getting old.

edit: this is a very common question and i should have researched a bit before asking the thread. Anyway bought one gently caress u.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 14, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Has there been any chat about pedals recently? Jumped in on the Alpha and have the hardware bug bad now :homebrew:

I know I'll get the Bravo as well (any speculation on if estimated shipping dates are reliable on those, btw?)

My interests are much more in the piston multiengine and early jet than contemporary poo poo so I'm debating between a hotass and just supplementing the Bravo with a CH figherstick (does CH still live up to its quality reputation?). Best Buy does have the Thrustmaster T.16000M hotas with pedals for 259--how would that stack up quality-wise against the CH stick and pedals for roughly the same price?

This is my period shilling for the VKB pedals. They're super convenient because they're small, they can't slip and glide because you're pushing down, and they're super precise because you can manipulate them with your toes. They feel a lot what the pedals in sail planes feel, just lighter and with less travel. I hear they're also good for rotary wing. They contain very few parts that can break; I have mine since 2016 (?) and I'm still very happy with them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm also now in the market for some rudder pedals. As nice as VKB's look, I'd like something more GA-like, with toe breaks. It's a shame Honeycomb's delayed the Charlie pedals so much. Though, unlike their richly featured yoke and throttle, there's only so much you can do with a set of pedals beyond just making them feel nice and authentic. So really, I'd take a decent set from anyone as long as it's actually available and feels authentic. edit: and ideally doesn't cost $600 like the TPR or bespoke hand-crafted sets from eastern europe or some poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 14, 2021

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So my Honeycomb Alpha came in today. 1) It rules. 2) It turns out that the large circular pad in the middle of the mounting plate isn't a simple rubber pad, but it's covered in an extremely sticky adhesive designed to permanently or semi-permanently affix the plate to a surface. Who would've guessed! Not me, the guy who didn't read the instructions, tore off the film cover without a second thought, and plopped it right onto my crappy desk with a cheap thin "veneer."

In other news, I'm now in the market for a new desk.

No, really, I hosed up and gave my desk quite a bit of cosmetic damage when removing that loving mounting plate. It IS just cosmetic and I can continue using it, but the desk has a keyboard tray that makes the clamps unusable. So I guess I need to accelerate my plans for refurnishing this room.

I made a custom mod for my desk for the Honeycomb yoke. I replicated the attachment "knob" that connects the yoke to the baseplate with a washer and a bolt. Then I put a threaded insert into my desktop, and screwed the new replicated knob into that. So I can just slide the yoke onto the knob, and I'm ready to go in seconds. When I'm done, keyboard goes back in place and covers the knob, so it remains hidden.

So much easier than the sticky pad, or desk clamps.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Enos Cabell posted:

We were a Commodore family growing up, and I spent a ton of time on the pre-MS Flight Sim2.0 on the C64. Later it was Chuck Yeager and Red Baron on an Amiga500.
I actually still have a C64 and boxed copy of Flight Simulator. I fired it up and ran it a year or two ago. It was awful. And not just oh my god we're so spoiled now, it's literally 1FPS and you really, really need to use your imagination. It's one of those things that's best left in your memory and not relived.

I also had an A500 and there was a jet sim, I think F18 Interceptor that was totally my jam. I loved that game.

When I got back into PC gaming ~1994/95 one of my first games/sims was Jetfighter III, and I still have it, along with all my boxed games/sims since then. They basically take up an entire closet but I can't bear to turf them.

I still have an optical drive in my PC but I doubt I could install/play them if I wanted to, let alone get patches.

CancerCakes posted:

So I found my copy of crimson skies and my cyborg gold joystick in a box at my parents house. I loving loved that game, but it probably isn't viable nowadays. Assuming the joystick is still working, is there an Arcady action flight game like that which is fun that I can blast through in single player? My PC is old, I don't have vr.
MS had some really good games back them. Midtown Madness was also a ton of fun.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

slidebite posted:

I actually still have a C64 and boxed copy of Flight Simulator. I fired it up and ran it a year or two ago. It was awful. And not just oh my god we're so spoiled now, it's literally 1FPS and you really, really need to use your imagination. It's one of those things that's best left in your memory and not relived.

I also had an A500 and there was a jet sim, I think F18 Interceptor that was totally my jam. I loved that game.

Yeah Flight Sim is unplayable, but I have a boxed copy of Gunship for my C64 and it was actually pretty fun! It's more like driving a hover car than actual helicopter flight, but it was fun to play and ran at an acceptable frame rate.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

slidebite posted:

As luck would have it an A500 that I ordered from the UK back in May (and has spent the subsequent months lost in mail hell in New Jersey) is supposedly on the truck for delivery today. Assuming it actually survived the journey, I'll have to load up a rom of F18 (and Chuck Yeager, Red Baron, Desert Strike, etc.)

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I made a custom mod for my desk for the Honeycomb yoke. I replicated the attachment "knob" that connects the yoke to the baseplate with a washer and a bolt. Then I put a threaded insert into my desktop, and screwed the new replicated knob into that. So I can just slide the yoke onto the knob, and I'm ready to go in seconds. When I'm done, keyboard goes back in place and covers the knob, so it remains hidden.

So much easier than the sticky pad, or desk clamps.

Oh that's a cool idea. I might steal this if I ever get my hands on a Bravo.

Here's my solution:

Alpha and Saitek mounted on one of those cheap particle boards for shelves. The yoke's mounting plate is screwed to the board and Saitek is bolted on directly. Drawer handles on either side help me move it around.

I used those little wooden pegs that hold Ikea furniture together as locating studs for the Honeycomb clamps. A USB hub is stuck behind the Saitek which means I just have to plug in my pedals and a USB cable from my computer.

You can also see my solution to the lack of toe brakes on the VKB pedals (which I very much highly recommend). I really would like differential braking but for the price and quality of the VKBs I can live without.

When I'm done playing with my toy airplanes, I just unplug the hub, remove the clamps, and move everything onto a shelf behind me. Super convenient and my wife has stopped making fun of me.

Rot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 14, 2021

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
That looks awesome. And now I'm frantically googling to figure out what that "Arrow IV" button box is, too.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

kalleth posted:

That looks awesome. And now I'm frantically googling to figure out what that "Arrow IV" button box is, too.

Phone posting but that's an xtouch mini. A ways up the thread I discuss how I use it

EDIT:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942445&userid=77537#post511918105

And here's a (somewhat out of date but still works in principle) link to my G1000 settings. scripts, and a template for Photoshop so you can edit and print out your own overlay:

https://flightsim.to/file/11381/garmin-g1000-template-for-axis-and-ohs-and-x-touch-mini

Rot fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Ashamed to say that I still haven't copied your X-Touch mini setup yet. I was googling frantically for the differences between minute versions of it and then got distracted by life. My preferred setup is pretty much what you have right now (we have the same pedals, and I need an easy-to-stow solution as well).

MSFS: I took the pains to start up a flight in the B787 specifically to try out the HUD with the improved performance. The HUD won't come down :(