Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

I too would like to pay $600 for a plastic chess set.

what if both sides were black and the prices hard to distinguish from one another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Then I would pay $1000 for that!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

That looks worse than this cheap one I got for Christmas 10-15 years ago. Though I guess mine didn't come with a board.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I see they tried to differentiate based on height, but man, with every pawn being a different character, mid-to-late games must be a nightmare to properly assess at a glance.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fate Accomplice posted:

the pieces don't transform

What really gets me about this is that even IF I were in the market for a $600 Transformers chess set this just doesn't look anything like a $600 item. It looks more like $40 in the toy aisle at Target. That does match the Transformers aesthetic, to be fair :v:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

The Moon Monster posted:

What really gets me about this is that even IF I were in the market for a $600 Transformers chess set this just doesn't look anything like a $600 item. It looks more like $40 in the toy aisle at Target. That does match the Transformers aesthetic, to be fair :v:

Well, the quality of the pieces does look better than a standard $40 target toy aisle TRANSFORMERS CHESS SET. I could definitely see paying $100 for this, maybe $150 (if you are a big gen 1 transformers fan). But $600 is extreme even for a high quality niche item

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The thing that bugs me about most third-party tie-in collector chess sets is that you can't tell at a glance what piece a given character is supposed to represent. I'd much rather they go "off model" in terms of accurately representing a character model if that means I can tell intuitively who is supposed to be a rook or a bishop without memorizing it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I wouldn't pay a nickel for that chess set, because it doesn't have Cliffjumper. :colbert:

Feel free to emptyquote this while substituting in your obscure Transformer of choice.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Fate Accomplice posted:

the pieces don't transform

Like, even if you don't want to have the pieces transform for cost or stability reasons, how do you not at least have the board transform into something cool

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

something very funny about optimus prime standing on a lil crate like he's trying to get something from the top shelf

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

How do you miss the opportunity to have your pawns transform into a different piece when they get promoted? How?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

you can get this from any toy store for like $20

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Prowl ain't no pawn, it's like they didn't even read his Tech Spec.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I like how adding two extra king pieces increases the price by $100 (17%).

52 people have picked those extra kings while only 10 have the base set.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Eagle moss produces some nice models. These are all metal and hand painted. I get the Star Trek ships and they are worth $20 a pop easily

If you were going to get the whole set it’s a little cheaper.

Having said that it irritates me that they are bringing it to Kickstarter. They are a big enough company and have Hasbros deal so they absolutely do not need to do that. :argh:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Eagle moss produces some nice models. These are all metal and hand painted. I get the Star Trek ships and they are worth $20 a pop easily

Having said that it irritates me that they are bringing it to Kickstarter. They are a big enough company and have Hasbros deal so they absolutely do not need to do that. :argh:

Their full Star Trek enterprise “build up” model comes in 120 (!) shipments of $15 each (!!), 4 shipments per month (!!!).

$1800 for a model that arrives over 2.5 years

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doctor Zero posted:

Hasbro themselves have no need to crowdfund any of their toys, yet Haslab exists.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Did the gaming table making company, was it wormwood, get it act together?

I'm talking about the one that had multiple non OSHA compliant factory layouts, got alot of employees sick from Covid, i think the CEO was such a California tech bro like boss he hired a new CEO just to take over the mess?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

I'm talking about the one that had multiple non OSHA compliant factory layouts, got alot of employees sick from Covid, i think the CEO was such a California tech bro like boss he hired a new CEO just to take over the mess?

Kinda. They’re a bit behind on production due to an essential custom machine being delivered hella out of spec and the vendor giving them the runaround on fixing it, but that appears to have been fixed as of this past week. Everything else seems to be in order so we should see things pick up very soon.

He didn’t hire a new CEO really, one of the other founders took over and seems to be doing a better job - I haven’t heard anything in the way of that kinda complaint and no news is probably good news on that front.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Gaming tables are one of the great scams. Like you produce a table, gesture at some features like cup-holders and say "1000, 2000 or something yeah and we'll deliver in a year".

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Arcsech posted:

Kinda. They’re a bit behind on production due to an essential custom machine being delivered hella out of spec and the vendor giving them the runaround on fixing it, but that appears to have been fixed as of this past week. Everything else seems to be in order so we should see things pick up very soon.

He didn’t hire a new CEO really, one of the other founders took over and seems to be doing a better job - I haven’t heard anything in the way of that kinda complaint and no news is probably good news on that front.

That's good to hear, I previously liked their collapsible magnetic dice towers even though they're pricey.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Quixotic1 posted:

Wyrmwood.

Yeah as mentioned it looks like they're getting their act together for mass production, due to a range of factors loving things up (predominantly the pandemic) A lot of their issues seem to stem from teething issues from being a small company growing into a larger one. Table production had still been happening in the background, they were just being done the old fashioned way.

The former CEO+founder, Doug, was bombastic and flaunted rules a ton which is where the Tech Bro image came from - but to his credit knew he needed to step to allow someone else to fulfil the roll. After that happened it looks like they've gotten their poo poo together re:compliancy.

Quixotic1 posted:

That's good to hear, I previously liked their collapsible magnetic dice towers even though they're pricey.

They'll be running a new KS campaign on the 17th, and they've just put up a promo video explaining it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMJAvy63YHU

I might pick a set up depending on how affordable it is. Table bling is where I'm at these days.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I think I hate that man.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I've had pretty good success with kickstarter, but Chai: Tea for Two is starting to feel like it will be the first project I've backed that may not be fulfilled. No updates since the project closed two months ago, old videos being deleted from twitch, the couple development the game has been radio silent, they didn't show up at a con they were scheduled at, etc.

I'm thankful I was only in for $40 bucks, but it was a good reminder that this isn't a pre-order.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

nonathlon posted:

Gaming tables are one of the great scams. Like you produce a table, gesture at some features like cup-holders and say "1000, 2000 or something yeah and we'll deliver in a year".

They are all singularly awful, who wants to bend over the table, awkwardly leaning on the thin sides, to play a game in a LED-strip-lighted hole?

My brother and I designed one ourselves that is just a normal table with a lid to put on it (essentially two table surfaces with the top one having vertical slats to create a space between them). It's awesome and cost a fraction of the existing ones.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gschmidl posted:

They are all singularly awful, who wants to bend over the table, awkwardly leaning on the thin sides, to play a game in a LED-strip-lighted hole?

My brother and I designed one ourselves that is just a normal table with a lid to put on it (essentially two table surfaces with the top one having vertical slats to create a space between them). It's awesome and cost a fraction of the existing ones.

A gaming table is one of those things where even with as much work as building furniture is, it may just legitimately be easier to do it yourself. Even if it turns into a months or years long project, the waiting lists for most high-end gaming tables that haven't already gone out of business are about that long anyway.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I worked with a cabinet maker when I made mine, his starting suggestion was to get an old table and just use the legs rather than messing around trying to make your own legs. Worked great in the end.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm spending too much as it is on the actual games to even think about fancy tables

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I ended up just getting a nice dining table, but the most appealing part of all the gaming tables when I was shopping was being able to cover up the recess with a topper. That meant my group could have just left gloomhaven permanently setup until we finished it, etc.

I always kind of regretted it, then COVID and a cross country move happened and suddenly I was happy I didn’t have a gaming table.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
I love my table, and especially love that I built it myself instead of paying twice as much and waiting a year or whatever for one to be delivered.

The only thing I regret is not selling it when people got their stimulus checks last year. I had plans drawn up for a newer one made of much nicer woods, with all the lessons learned from the first one and years of use, and lord knows I had plenty of time to work on it during quarantine months.

But I didn’t, and now wood prices are loving insane.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think I'd like one of their tables, but I'm also at the point where I could probably just order a custom fitted neoprene mat for my existing one and be done with it for $200 AUD.

Malt posted:

I've had pretty good success with kickstarter, but Chai: Tea for Two is starting to feel like it will be the first project I've backed that may not be fulfilled. No updates since the project closed two months ago, old videos being deleted from twitch, the couple development the game has been radio silent, they didn't show up at a con they were scheduled at, etc.

I'm thankful I was only in for $40 bucks, but it was a good reminder that this isn't a pre-order.

This one is super loving weird cause their campaign was so good and ticked all the right boxes. Complete radio silence is noooooot a great look.

I only backed it for $1, as I backed the Dispel Dice for a few sets and was going to slacker back, but I know one of my friends backed it off my recommendation so this is super frustrating.
Also double lovely cause I'm pretty sure I spruiked it a number of times here as well.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Delta is putting Australia through the ringer atm, particularly the state where I live - So I don't think I'll be getting anybody back to my table until at least the end of the year (weeeeeee)
Just had a quick look through my backer list off the back of that Chai radio silence, and it's looking like I'll have to be hosting a board game weekend once poo poo gets back to normalish with the amount of games that I have coming in.

August
- Quest / Avalon Big Box

September
- Cartographers Heroes
- Merchants of the Dark Road

November
- Fjords

2021 Probably/Shipping is hosed
- Radlands
- Macquis
- Potion Panic
- Frosthaven (Maybe? gently caress knows)

Very VERY excited for Cartographers and Merchants.
I'll have to gift out my old copy of Cartographers to a friend to make room for the collectors box :3:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Similar. I haven't bought anything since Spiel 2019 apart from one second-hand game and the expansions for Hyperborea, Civ:AND and Armata Strigoi, but Kickstarters keep delivering. Kanban EV, Tiny Epic Pirates, Tinners Trail in a few days, and the Smartphone Inc expansion have all come in.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Malt posted:

They posted an update to their other kickstarter about two weeks ago. They are probably just really not sure how the gently caress they are going to pay for shipping.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strider88/chai-high-tea-reprint-and-expansion/posts/3260482

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

September
- Cartographers Heroes
- Merchants of the Dark Road

Merchants was one of the first things I backed all-in right around the start of the Now Times. Metal coins! Plastic lanterns!! Tiny caravans!!! For some reason, the "lore"/purpose of the game (and how it's reflected across the various game pieces) appeals to me even more than the game mechanics. I can't think of another game that's hit me like that.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dark Tower also sounds like it's gonna get screwed by the shipping prices prices.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Azubah posted:

Dark Tower also sounds like it's gonna get screwed by the shipping prices prices.
Not just prices but literally all fulfillment. With extra hits for storage of parts, apparently.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Avatar RPG about to break into the top 10 most funded board games.

fischtick posted:

Merchants was one of the first things I backed all-in right around the start of the Now Times. Metal coins! Plastic lanterns!! Tiny caravans!!! For some reason, the "lore"/purpose of the game (and how it's reflected across the various game pieces) appeals to me even more than the game mechanics. I can't think of another game that's hit me like that.

Yeah I'm all-in as well. I know my players well, and this one if going to see a lot of play in rotation.
I'm glad it has a solo mode so I can check it out while in lockdown hell.

Looking forward to finding my name printed on the inside cover :3:

dwarf74 posted:

They posted an update to their other kickstarter about two weeks ago. They are probably just really not sure how the gently caress they are going to pay for shipping.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strider88/chai-high-tea-reprint-and-expansion/posts/3260482

Azubah posted:

Dungeon Drop just ran a promo to help out with shipping where you could back for a reward on their next kickstarter, to help ease the burden of shipping for their current.

It's.. yeah.. catch 22 all around.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

And yes, it's a KS for rules to use proxies of promo cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

and they said they were having trouble with shipping costs already