Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

basically all coming apart at the seems. grim prospects for evacuations of Afghan civilians likely to face retaliation for their work with the US and other forces

Obviously they could be lying, but we have to hope at this point that the Taliban's promise of broad amnesty is going to be upheld. I assume there will be groups it won't apply to, but hopefully it'll be mostly people who kind of earned that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/MJalal700/statu...er%3D37lastpost

So who won the bet?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dante80 posted:

So, it seems that it is China's turn in Afghanistan, right? Belt and Road (the belt this time will be used to hit women tho). T_T

China is not dumb and they don't give a poo poo about human rights, they will likely (successfully) engage with the new government of Afghanistan diplomatically in a mutually beneficial way, because they have no desire to piss away time, money and lives on an impossible task.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

So is the evacuation complete for all western nations at this point? If not poo poo might get squirrly at night.

Our hasn't even started yet!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Sinteres posted:

Obviously they could be lying, but we have to hope at this point that the Taliban's promise of broad amnesty is going to be upheld. I assume there will be groups it won't apply to, but hopefully it'll be mostly people who kind of earned that.

obviously that’s the hope but there’s very few reasons to trust the taliban when they’ve periodically reversed themselves the moment it became expedient for them to do so

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Dante80 posted:

So, it seems that it is China's turn in Afghanistan, right? Belt and Road (the belt this time will be used to hit women tho). T_T

China seems to be handling Afghanistan at a distance, having held meetings with the Taliban and the (now former) Afghan government and being open to working with whoever they have to work with. China did request the Taliban to avoid ties with the East Turkestan movement because Xinjiang. The prospects of B&R there may not be so enticing anyway.

https://warontherocks.com/2021/08/a-reluctant-embrace-chinas-new-relationship-with-the-taliban/

I doubt China will see itself repeating the never-ending mistake.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dante80 posted:

Them or the UK. It sounds like the tories are looking to try to look tough again.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1426931538571128838

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/Rimmy_Downunder/status/1426838276703330310

thread

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

PT6A posted:

China is not dumb and they don't give a poo poo about human rights, they will likely (successfully) engage with the new government of Afghanistan diplomatically in a mutually beneficial way, because they have no desire to piss away time, money and lives on an impossible task.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I see thousands of contractors coming, China wants to properly integrate the country to SCO via CPEC. They are not going to do what the Soviets or Americans did, but simply offer to rebuild the country.

That discussion is a little premature tho..

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

im admittedly more concerned with the immediate situation than pretending i have any idea what china will do in 5, 10, or 20 years under a completely different and unknowable set of circumstances

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
drat, I thought they'd have at least made some kind of stand.

I think ARVN outnumbered NVA 4:1 in 1975 and more US Air support. Was it that on paper ANA forces were 350k compared to estimated 70k Taleban? In reality it seems to be completely different situation, not a lot of guys in ANA left

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Well I guess he is hosed now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

QuoProQuid posted:

im admittedly more concerned with the immediate situation than pretending i have any idea what china will do in 5, 10, or 20 years under a completely different and unknowable set of circumstances

10 years ago, actually

https://www.reuters.com/article/afghanistan-cnpc/update-1-afghanistan-signs-major-oil-deal-with-chinas-cnpc-idUSL3E7NS40J20111228

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

el3m posted:

I think ARVN outnumbered NVA 4:1 in 1975 and more US Air support. Was it that on paper ANA forces were 350k compared to estimated 70k Taleban? In reality it seems to be completely different situation, not a lot of guys in ANA left

Apparently most of the rank and file's paychecks have bounced for months. If a gangster state stops paying its soldiers it's done right away.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

el3m posted:

I saw a report the other day that up to 150K of that 350K supposed number were 'ghost soldiers', aka people getting a paycheck that weren't actually in the army because of corruption

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Dante80 posted:

Why would you just assume China is dumber than the US?

The Soviets were pushed out by a proxy war funded by the US. The US was pushed out due to staggering incompetence, also funded by the US. The US has been the problem for the last forty years, why would China be the same?

E: by which I mean China is just going to dump infrastructure money and not do the dumbass American imperialism routine where they try to conjure a nation from nothing and then act surprised when it dissolves away

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

el3m posted:

I mean, my guess is the government was lying out it’s rear end and when your basically throwing the equivalent of peasant levies who don’t want to be there into the meat grinder where at least 70 die a day and most aren’t loyal to the government warlord that rules from their gilded Dubai mansion, why the gently caress should they fight at that point.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

el3m posted:

What would making a stand have achieved? Why die in a losing war where there is ZERO hope of turning things around when the enemy is promising to let you go home to your family?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Well I guess he is hosed now.

Make sure you read the whole thread.

Shine on you crazy diamond, if you ever get out of Afghanistan, honestly I hope they make you a real Lord.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Nix Panicus posted:

The Soviets were pushed out by a proxy war funded by the US. The US was pushed out due to staggering incompetence, also funded by the US. The US has been the problem for the last forty years, why would China be the same?

E: by which I mean China is just going to dump infrastructure money and not do the dumbass American imperialism routine where they try to conjure a nation from nothing and then act surprised when it dissolves away

Dude, that was what I'm saying lol..

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

point taken, though i was referring more to speculation of whether China would ever become militarily involved in afghanistan in some hypothetical, far-off future

am curious to what extent those agreements are upheld though

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Looks like this guy:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Part of it depends on the Taliban's willingness to play nice with China. If the Taliban is willing to deport Uighurs, they'll probably get along just fine. If they instead harbor Uighurs and allow dissidents to live their lives, let alone rebels to train, there's every chance of China losing their minds and doing stupid poo poo.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

QuoProQuid posted:

point taken, though i was referring more to speculation of whether China would ever become militarily involved in afghanistan in some hypothetical, far-off future

am curious to what extent those agreements are upheld though

idk they might renegotiate some of them, but the 80% ratio of that deal was fairly standard for the time and not particularly exploitative. I'll be surprised if the taliban isn't proactive about getting resource extractions operations and the like greenlit as soon as possible. They need the money and jobs and industry. Chinese and chinese state-owned companies have a number of other major natural resource deals they've made that are still legally binding, albeit often not actively being utilized for obvious security reasons that presumably will be activated the second things are stable enough to get to work. The Mes aynas copper mine in particular comes to mind here, they signed that deal almost 15 years ago

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Is this 4chan or what? Trying to find the sources.

Congratulations sir

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Inner Light posted:

Is this 4chan or what? Trying to find the sources.

Yeah. He was also streaming on twitch.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

It depends, if the Taliban still employ them and let them transition over to other jobs it will probably not be a problem. However, if they do something as monumentally stupid as De-Ba'athification and leave all former ANA soldiers unemployed without the possibility of getting a job it might turn ugly.

I'm not sure if Taliban could pay them all, at least to the level of income they received earlier with US backing.

Afghan economy is undeveloped and unemployment is very high. Taliban is not exactly well resourced, their fighters rely on civilians 'agreeing' to give them food as they move to new areas as their own logistics system is very basic. Most people work in agriculture and as you might guess it's not efficient, usually people are barely coming by. Afghanistan has incredible mineral deposits and gold made for 43% of their export revenue in 2019, but mining is a very capital intensive field, mining companies are loving vultures, it takes a long time to get a mine going, and what happens to current mine and oil drilling projects in Afghanistan is a huge question mark. It's probably one of the things that China has been discussing with Taliban, because they have made big investments there.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Congrats dude you rock

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Has there been any decent reporting or coverage on the Taliban's seemingly amazingly successful domestic and foreign policy? From the scattered reports and discussions so far, it appears the Taliban operated a very slick foreign policy operation that neutralized previously hostile states.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1426918201670176771

lol.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Issuing a correction on a foreign policy directive of mine concerning the Taliban: you under no circumstances "gotta hand it to them."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PT6A posted:

Issuing a correction on a foreign policy directive of mine concerning the Taliban: you under no circumstances "gotta hand it to them."

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1426919046658789381

it gets better.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

drat you, Critical Race Theory, is there nothing you won't destroy???

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/natsecjeff/status/1426937848918335491?s=21

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Nenonen posted:

I'm not sure if Taliban could pay them all, at least to the level of income they received earlier with US backing.

Afghan economy is undeveloped and unemployment is very high. Taliban is not exactly well resourced, their fighters rely on civilians 'agreeing' to give them food as they move to new areas as their own logistics system is very basic. Most people work in agriculture and as you might guess it's not efficient, usually people are barely coming by. Afghanistan has incredible mineral deposits and gold made for 43% of their export revenue in 2019, but mining is a very capital intensive field, mining companies are loving vultures, it takes a long time to get a mine going, and what happens to current mine and oil drilling projects in Afghanistan is a huge question mark. It's probably one of the things that China has been discussing with Taliban, because they have made big investments there.

Has ANA been paid though? I read that one of the main reasons for the total collapse is that the pay for a large number of ANA soldiers has been in arrears for several months. If the Taliban can pay anything or even feed them it might be a significant improvement to the soldiers' previous conditions.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nix Panicus posted:

Lol thia dude at his shitposting wheaties today

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Has ANA been paid though? I read that one of the main reasons for the total collapse is that the pay for a large number of ANA soldiers has been in arrears for several months. If the Taliban can pay anything or even feed them it might be a significant improvement to the soldiers' previous conditions.

Hey now, it's hard to pay your soldiers if all that money you're getting instead goes to soldiers on loan from the phantom zone / your own pocket

I mean, think of the poor, corrupt Afghan politicians. They can't very well get rich and run off laughing to the airport if ANA-soldiers actually get payed, can't they?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

i mean the soviets and their local government were imploding in Afghanistan long before the CIA stuck their dick in the nest. also infastructure doesn't mean dick where most of the idea of the goverment is mostly viewed as a vibe in most of the country. that being said we will see how china handles it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
French ambassador bugging out

https://twitter.com/david_martinon/status/1426924558049755140