Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

no hay camino posted:

Literally if Afghanistan was still governed by the Communists the country would probably be a million times better off

The Afghan communist regime (which was essentially a military dictatorship, resulting from a military coup by the pro-Moscow officer corps) more or less completely destroyed the country by way of the Soviet intervention. So, I get what you're saying, but no, not those guys. Also the DRA basically dropped communism in 1987 and adopted an Islamist constitution in 1990.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
This sucks but if this is what happens after 20 years of being there it's hard to see what another year (etc) could have done. The Pentagon thought they could just be there forever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Has ANA been paid though? I read that one of the main reasons for the total collapse is that the pay for a large number of ANA soldiers has been in arrears for several months. If the Taliban can pay anything or even feed them it might be a significant improvement to the soldiers' previous conditions.

For 'several months', read 'several years'. This article is from February 2020, and is absolutely worth a read on how completely poo poo the situation for ANA soldiers was.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That tweet thread from a few pages ago said that Taliban leaders were basically camping out in Helmand, a town in Afghanistan, after the Pakistani government got mad at them. Why didn't the US do something at that point? How do you hide a 75,000-strong army in a territory occupied by your enemy?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Vegetable posted:

That tweet thread from a few pages ago said that Taliban leaders were basically camping out in Helmand, a town in Afghanistan, after the Pakistani government got mad at them. Why didn't the US do something at that point? How do you hide a 75,000-strong army in a territory occupied by your enemy?

I suspect they weren’t all in an easily located, single cluster of 75,000 people.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Geraldo should have gone and found them

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So did Osama win?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Also Helmand is big and mostly reg.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

What the gently caress do all these think tank people demanding a power sharing government on TV think is happening?

Real rough interview with the education minister onthe bbc when she got told Ghani had fled followed by a very tearful Canadian ambassador.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well that was fast. I was expecting some kinda of siege tha would at least last some weeks

Also when the pentagon said there was no risk I kinda expected they knew something we did not

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/In...-Afghan-capital

https://af.usembassy.gov/security-alert-u-s-embassy-kabul-afghanistan-15/

The airport is starting to come under fire.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/Natsecjeff/status/1426945987193577476?s=20

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1426948541273067529?s=20

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

no hay camino posted:

So did Osama win?

He's still dead and both Israel and the Saudi regime are still there so very much not mission accomplished for him. He wanted to pull the US into the region with the idea that it would unify the ulema against us and overthrow our puppet regimes throughout the region, and that's not really what happened at all.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

What the gently caress do all these think tank people demanding a power sharing government on TV think is happening?

Real rough interview with the education minister onthe bbc when she got told Ghani had fled followed by a very tearful Canadian ambassador.

if the reality of the taliban taking power wasn't so grim, it would be hilarious. bunch of people are clearly not aware that the taliban literally holds *all* the chips wrt the immediate future of afghanistan

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/saadmohseni/status/1426942627174301699?s=21

https://twitter.com/saadmohseni/status/1426958272645435398?s=21

extemely grim

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
-nvm-

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

I think this is a photo from yesterday in a different part of Afghanistan.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

I think this is a photo from yesterday in a different part of Afghanistan.

Yeah just saw https://twitter.com/Natsecjeff/status/1426957665800966146

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Herstory Begins Now posted:

if the reality of the taliban taking power wasn't so grim, it would be hilarious. bunch of people are clearly not aware that the taliban literally holds *all* the chips wrt the immediate future of afghanistan

Yeah it is all extremely loving grim and bad. The taliban are not leftist freedom fighters righteously slapping down the rotten hand of imperialism. They're monstrous people.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Darth Walrus posted:

For 'several months', read 'several years'. This article is from February 2020, and is absolutely worth a read on how completely poo poo the situation for ANA soldiers was.

Turns out massive corruption is a bad thing after all. Who knew?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Wow, that is much worse than I thought. Then the Taliban just giving them food enough to survive on will be a massive improvement.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's such an obvious Vietnam replay that it's really a sick joke. Like Gerald Ford trying to spin up support for propping up South Vietnam at the last minute to congress and everyone just going LOLNOPE

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That is a tense moment for civil aviation. Props to the pilots and staff flying these people out, if they can get out without more violence.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
My new favourite brand of tweet are the Hindu nationalist guys under every journalist talking about the fall of Kabul saying that India should take annex Afghanistan. I hadn't realised that Afghanistan was considered Indian clay but what the gently caress do I know.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is such a loving atrocity. How are we unable to do this now and not, say, leave when the tyrant taking power was literally anyone else? Even the local warlords who stepped in the power vacuum for a time would be better than this because they would be against each other.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/mccaffreyr3/status/1426960986364284930?s=19

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Craptacular! posted:

This is such a loving atrocity. How are we unable to do this now and not, say, leave when the tyrant taking power was literally anyone else? Even the local warlords who stepped in the power vacuum for a time would be better than this because they would be against each other.

This is basically the same thinking that kept the US in this for 20 years and countless other powers in distant, unnecessary quagmires for decades. Some variation of this outcome was going to happen whether it was 2 years, 5 years, 20 years or 40 years.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Are commercial flights still departing from Kabul?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/McCreadyForNC/status/1426963365570678790

^ Really the only thing this administration deserves flak over.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Inner Light posted:

Are commercial flights still departing from Kabul?

NATO banned all but military traffic a little bit ago.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My new favourite brand of tweet are the Hindu nationalist guys under every journalist talking about the fall of Kabul saying that India should take annex Afghanistan. I hadn't realised that Afghanistan was considered Indian clay but what the gently caress do I know.

Lol, do you have any examples? I think an Indian invasion of Afganistan would be the perfect way to give the Taliban access to Pakistani nuclear weapons.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Thom12255 posted:

I wholeheartedly agree. The Biden admin hosed this up. The blood of those collaborators, who risked their lives for us, is on their hands. I'm pretty loving furious.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Lol, do you have any examples? I think an Indian invasion of Afganistan would be the perfect way to give the Taliban access to Pakistani nuclear weapons.

Lol.

The Pakistanis are not giving the Taliban nukes.

edit: and India isn't going to invade Afghanistan.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I’m not saying Biden deserves any praise, but if you’re planning based on poo poo information about the ability of the Afghan government to exist, I don’t know if any plan would have not gotten caught out. Even the most cynical estimates gave that government multiple months to fight on.

drat it. What a loving fiasco. How many US citizens and staff are left in the country now?

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 15, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Thom12255 posted:

The Islamic Emirate has said they will offer them amnesty

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

How are u posted:

I wholeheartedly agree. The Biden admin hosed this up. The blood of those collaborators, who risked their lives for us, is on their hands. I'm pretty loving furious.

The last administration did as much as they could to sandbag this process as well,but I agree that its a massive slap in the face to anyone who has ever taken up arms with the US. Easy to see why people loath us.

Vasukhani posted:

We promised we would get them out though? Broad, nonspecific promises arent something I'd bet my life on.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Vasukhani posted:

Lol, sure

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Ok so short term wise I understand the flak Biden gets for not getting all the Afghan intepreters and helpers out before withdrawing US forces.

What I don't understand is how the US spent two decades and several trillion dollars only to see Afghanistan fold in under two weeks. What in the actual gently caress happened there? And don't just blithely say 'lol soldiers didn't get paid'. The Americans had 20 loving years to notice this.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Ok so short term wise I understand the flak Biden gets for not getting all the Afghan intepreters and helpers out before withdrawing US forces.

What I don't understand is how the US spent two decades and several trillion dollars only to see Afghanistan fold in under two weeks. What in the actual gently caress happened there? And don't just blithely say 'lol soldiers didn't get paid'. The Americans had 20 loving years to notice this.

americans are the stupidest people on the planet, we are so utterly stupid it defies explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They did notice is, they all did. Enlisted men who arent paid to think did.

Doesn't mean you can fix it...