Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Vegetable posted:

I know the Taliban are obviously bad and not good. But I couldn't help but be amused by this NYT piece. It rattles about the Taliban "instilling terror" but it mostly ends up showing them in a not-the-worst light -- they coerce municipal workers with the goal of ensuring continuity of essential services, and they at one point fund the operating costs of a guy whose business got war-wrecked. It'll all go to poo poo very soon but lol at NYT's framing of this story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/15/world/asia/afghanistan-taliban-kunduz.html

The Taliban regime will probably be no worse than a poorer Saudi Arabia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Nix Panicus posted:

Isn't Karzai part of the transition team working with the Taliban? He might get to keep it

Stranger things have happened, but I imagine the deal is more simply that they'll allow his continued breathing as he continues snitching or whatever that corrupt gangster is up to these days.

So he's probably just working not to end up tortured, dragged around in a truck, and then displayed next to the palace like some other guys in the past.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Discospawn posted:

"Airport is taking fire, we're sending troops to take care of it."

"Troops are taking fire, we're sending in more troops to take care of it."

"More troops, more fire. Moretroopsmorefire. MortroopmorfarMORTROOPMORFAR!"

It has the potential to be like the scene from Return of the Living Dead where the zombies keep requesting more ambulances for the brains.

Anybody who wants to attack Western targets knows that Kabul is the best place to do it right now, and ironically the Taliban are the only organized force with the position/resources to prevent those kinds of threats from loving everything up.

If the US is able to offer them enough money, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Taliban troops forming a defensive perimeter around the US evacuation areas to help them complete their withdrawal. They may not have greeted us as liberators, but maybe they'll wish us a fond farewell as their guests.

You seem like, weirdly excited about this prospect.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/CobraBall3/status/1427011270641848321

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Nix Panicus posted:

If only there had been an influential senator, perhaps on the foreign relations committee, who had the foresight to see that victory was impossible and we should withdraw. Alas, all we had was dumbass Joe Biden.

https://www.foreign.senate.gov/hearings/afghanistan-time-for-a-new-strategy

There was a time there around 2006 when popular consensus was that Iraq was the bad war and Afghanistan was the good one. At least we had a "pretext" with Afghanistan, so for how stupid Biden's opinion was it probably seemed a reasonable Serious People take at the time.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Discospawn posted:

Anybody who wants to attack Western targets knows that Kabul is the best place to do it right now, and ironically the Taliban are the only organized force with the position/resources to prevent those kinds of threats from loving everything up.

Let me call up Putin, Assad and Maduro to get a division of the Anti-West shock troopers out there

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/whatismoo/status/1426939056970244103

Now, reused rego number or same bird parked on the carrier deck?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

drunkill posted:

https://twitter.com/whatismoo/status/1426939056970244103

Now, reused rego number or same bird parked on the carrier deck?

Isn't the one on the deck 154030, not 8? I'm definitely not seeing an 8 there

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

no hay camino posted:

There was a time there around 2006 when popular consensus was that Iraq was the bad war and Afghanistan was the good one. At least we had a "pretext" with Afghanistan, so for how stupid Biden's opinion was it probably seemed a reasonable Serious People take at the time.

The Serious People have always been evil dumbasses, so big dumb idiot Joe Biden sharing that opinion is not exactly a rebuttal of him being a big dumb idiot. The results of literally every American foreign policy intervention for the last seventy five years has rather conclusively shown that every single person in foreign policy should be buried in a concrete sarcophagus at Yucca Mountain for the safety of the world.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/bsarwary/status/1427002551858311173?s=20

Looks like a total shitshow at the airport

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

If only there was a major air base open to assist the evacuation

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

So, one positive that might come out of all this, we might see a break in the global supply of opium and a corresponding break in the opiate crisis now that the US isnt around

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1426959985460776962?s=20

Basically everything the US does is evil.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Nix Panicus posted:

So, one positive that might come out of all this, we might see a break in the global supply of opium and a corresponding break in the opiate crisis now that the US isnt around

Opium obviously feeds the opium market, but with plentiful and cheap synthetics like fentanyl, does it really drive things at this point? I don't know, and am curious.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Discospawn posted:

"Airport is taking fire, we're sending troops to take care of it."

"Troops are taking fire, we're sending in more troops to take care of it."

"More troops, more fire. Moretroopsmorefire. MortroopmorfarMORTROOPMORFAR!"

It has the potential to be like the scene from Return of the Living Dead where the zombies keep requesting more ambulances for the brains.

If the US is able to offer them enough money, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Taliban troops forming a defensive perimeter around the US evacuation areas to help them complete their withdrawal. They may not have greeted us as liberators, but maybe they'll wish us a fond farewell as their guests.

What the gently caress am I reading :catdrugs:

Ham fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 15, 2021

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I’m livid.

https://twitter.com/jmhansler/status/1427036811520524289?s=21

https://twitter.com/jmhansler/status/1427041359983255553?s=21

feckless to the end

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Relax dude we got the flags.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It sickens me how badly they've dropped the ball on this. It's the same sick, sad feeling as when Trump abandoned the Kurds. Ugh.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1427019376952283137

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ham posted:

What the gently caress am I reading :catdrugs:

The US is having issues evacuating all its personnel in an orderly fashion because the Taliban now runs everything.

Biden has, in response, sent in more personnel that will eventually need to also be evacuated because the Taliban now run everything.

And if the new personnel have difficulty evacuating in an orderly fashion (because the Taliban now runs everything) then Biden, in response, will have to send in more personnel to help evacuate them

And if the new personnel have difficulty evacuating in an orderly fashion (because the Taliban now runs everything) then Biden, in response, will have to send in more personnel to help evacuate them
etc

E: With I guess the end point being either 'oops we invaded again' or just paying the Taliban to handle the evacuation for all the people dumbass Biden sent in to handle the evacuations

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 16, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nix Panicus posted:

The US is having issues evacuating all its personnel in an orderly fashion because the Taliban now runs everything.

Biden has, in response, sent in more personnel that will eventually need to also be evacuated because the Taliban now run everything.

etc

Yes, it's an idiot's conundrum. I also doubt that the Taliban is going to meaningfully curtail opium production enough to stop the opiate crisis, particularly with the rise of fentanyl and other synthetic opioids. I also understand that some cartels are working on domestic (mexican) opium production, given the ongoing strength of demand.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 16, 2021

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Nix Panicus posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1426959985460776962?s=20

Basically everything the US does is evil.

was probably already mentioned, but I gotta bring it up again
https://twitter.com/westonpagano/status/1426938674277765128

This and so much else (like the entirety of the Afghanistan papers) is something that in a normal functioning country would spawn tribunals at the least. The American people and the Afghani people have been defrauded by the USA and its puppets for 2 decades now, and these leaders, lobbyists, and military ALL knew they were lying and literally funding our supposed enemy. But a dollar had to be made, so the web got more and more tangled. And then a week later your puppet regime is shredded when a minute ago you were praising them and yourselves.

But it's all just shrugged off. We'll all go "lol, classic America" and move onto the next one. Oh, I hear those dastardly democracy-hating Cubans are up to no good again. That small island nation of healthcare worker exports has some crazy brain zapping device and they and Venezuela will take over the known world with their commie ways!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://twitter.com/i/status/1427022160099426311

Just great troop STUFF all around. US troops pushing back the Afghanis trying to escape islamic fundementalism.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the pentagon is not going to pull the old switcheroo on the rest of the federal government to get it to reinvade afghanistan jesus loving christ. what is with this lovely cartoon logic

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/RubenGallego/status/1426627095367757824

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Like, what are you meant to ask your Congress people to do lol.

Also, 100% of the Vets I've seen that served there all say that they saw this coming a decade ago.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

Like, what are you meant to ask your Congress people to do lol.

Also, 100% of the Vets I've seen that served there all say that they saw this coming a decade ago.

I mean we're posting to register our takes here where it won't do anything so I don't know why people wouldn't call their representatives to do the same if they cared.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yes, it's an idiot's conundrum. I also doubt that the Taliban is going to meaningfully curtail opium production enough to stop the opiate crisis, particularly with the rise of fentanyl and other synthetic opioids. I also understand that some cartels are working on domestic (mexican) opium production, given the ongoing strength of demand.

The Taliban were already curtailing opium production after they took power. Opium production in Afghanistan, the source of 90% of the world's illegal opium, was dropped drastically when Mullah Mohammed Omar declared growing poppies un-Islamic. It was literally the most successful anti-drug campaign ever conceived since the Taliban controlled about 3/4 of the global heroin supply at the time.

Completely coincidentally they got invaded by the US the next year, and after the invasion poppy farming skyrocketed.

Now, I'm not saying the CIA concocted a casus belli to control the global heroin supply in order to fund their own extremely dark poo poo, but I am pointing out that the Taliban got deposed a year after successfully cutting back heroin production.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

The Taliban were already curtailing opium production after they took power. Opium production in Afghanistan, the source of 90% of the world's illegal opium, was dropped drastically when Mullah Mohammed Omar declared growing poppies un-Islamic. It was literally the most successful anti-drug campaign ever conceived since the Taliban controlled about 3/4 of the global heroin supply at the time.

Completely coincidentally they got invaded by the US the next year, and after the invasion poppy farming skyrocketed.

Now, I'm not saying the CIA concocted a casus belli to control the global heroin supply in order to fund their own extremely dark poo poo, but I am pointing out that the Taliban got deposed a year after successfully cutting back heroin production.

Just asking questions about whether we invaded Afghanistan to increase the heroin supply is pretty loving stupid. Are you also just asking questions about whether the CIA blew up the world trade center or what?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The forum's top minds are here, in this thread. Amazing.

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If you don't give a poo poo, why do you guys try to play world police all the time. This is just an obnoxious attitude to have, and really sums up why Americans are universally loathed outside of the US.

Because the military industrial complex needs to eat, and nobody is going to stop us, simple as

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Nix Panicus posted:

9/11 was coincidental, the invasion of Afghanistan was about the CIA and opium

This is some quality bait

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

A "Mcdonald's" That mis-capitalizes the brand name, hmm... sure... (It's "McDonald's", and that's how it's spelled on all actual ones.)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah, just like the CIA never intervened in countries that grew its other favored revenue stream, cocaine.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah, just like the CIA never intervened in countries that grew its other favored revenue stream, cocaine.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1427022160099426311

Just great troop STUFF all around. US troops pushing back the Afghanis trying to escape islamic fundementalism.

This kind of stuff was happening in Saigon, though?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Although the majority of the 9/11 conspirators were Saudi and Osama was hiding out in Pakistan, so why did Afghanistan get hit?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i mean, the first clue that it’s a fake tweet is that it exceeds 280 characters. the second is that it has no time stamp. the third is that the reporter miscapitalizes McDonalds and includes no link to the story.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Nix Panicus posted:

are you 12

Nix Panicus posted:

Although the majority of the 9/11 conspirators were Saudi and Osama was hiding out in Pakistan, so why did Afghanistan get hit?

al-qaeda was operating out of afghanistan. the us sent an ultimatum telling the taliban to stop hosting the taliban and to turn over osama bin laden. The taliban refused. The US invaded

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Osama wouldn't have made it to Pakistan had the US actually sent in troops to where he was hiding in the mountains instead of allowing him to sneak out the back of Tora Bora into Pakistan.