Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

How are u posted:

I wholeheartedly agree. The Biden admin hosed this up. The blood of those collaborators, who risked their lives for us, is on their hands. I'm pretty loving furious.

As a Vietnamese American I'll tell you all that it's long been a sore spot amongst Vietnamese-Americans that Biden was famously very nonchalant about America taking in South Vietnamese collaborators in 1975 (comparatively larger Republican support for accepting Vietnamese refugees is a significant part in why many older Vietnamese-Americans still vote Republican to this day) I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that he has mostly dragged his feet on the same thing with Afghanistan. It's not a priority for him and it shows.

quote:

As I recently wrote, Biden has a relevant personal history. In April 1975, as a first-term senator, he was an outspoken opponent of using American money and risking Americans’ safety to rescue the tens of thousands of South Vietnamese who had bet their lives on American promises. “The United States has no obligation to evacuate one, or 100,001, South Vietnamese,” he said in a Senate speech. President Gerald Ford tried to sway Biden by reminding him of the American tradition of welcoming refugees from war and oppression, but Biden was unmoved. Vietnam was a lost cause, and Americans wanted to forget.

As South Vietnam fell, 135,000 endangered Vietnamese were evacuated through the heroic efforts of American officials, military veterans, and private citizens. Ford later said, “To do anything less would, in my opinion, only add moral shame to military humiliation.” Those refugees and their descendants are now Americans. I doubt that Biden would wish it otherwise.

Biden failed to see a moral obligation in 1975. Today he can learn from the mistake and redeem it. Seventeen thousand Afghans who have worked for America in Afghanistan, along with tens of thousands of their family members, are waiting for the excruciatingly slow bureaucratic wheels of the U.S. government to process their visa applications. At the normal pace, they will still be waiting years after the last American troops leave their country. While they wait, trying to hide, many of them will be hunted down by the Taliban. We will be gone, and Afghans who believed our promises will be killed. Our war will be over—Americans might not even hear the news of their deaths.

Once South Vietnam began to collapse, in the spring of 1975, the end came with shocking speed, and the Ford administration had just weeks to organize evacuations. In Afghanistan, the Biden administration has given itself almost five months. That’s enough time to save thousands of Afghans who risked everything to help the United States in their country. But there isn’t enough time to save them just by speeding up the review of visa applications. These Afghans have to be extricated from the country and taken to an overseas U.S. military base, where their cases can be heard in safety, beyond the reach of the Taliban. This is what is sometimes called “the Guam option,” after a U.S. rescue operation that saved thousands of Iraqi Kurds from Saddam Hussein in the 1990s by airlifting them to Guam. Biden should create a task force with a team of military and civilian officials from key agencies to plan and run the operation. By ordinary government standards, such an effort is unimaginable. By the standards of the U.S. military, with its code of leaving no one behind on the battlefield, any alternative is unthinkable.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/04/biden-second-chance/618586/

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

EngineerJoe posted:

Yeah, give credit where it is due, Biden had the guts to take the political hit from pulling out and Obama didn't.

and biden told Obama to pull the gently caress out and couple times during his presidency. His big gently caress up(partly his, partly just 20 other fires to put out domestically and etc) is not getting as many people out as possible right after he made that announcement(if not before hand) now maybe we did get a bunch of people out before the implosion. but i do think neither biden nor IC nor State expected it to implode this fast even though they should have. i am sure we will get some giant tome of a book laying out where each admin went wrong in like 20 years or so. perosnally i blame the pentagon for basicaly keeping everything underwraps and then when called on it, pretending everything was cool until someone finally said "if its so cool then, we dont need to be here".

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 15, 2021

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I just cannot fathom how spectacular this failure is. I wonder if the US genuinely did not expect to see how badly this reflects on them, in the long term.

If you haven’t realized it yet we reeeeeeeealy don’t give a poo poo about what the rest of you think. We don’t even really care what most of US think.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

and biden told Obama to pull the gently caress out and couple times during his presidency. His big gently caress up(partly his, partly just 20 other fires to put out domestically and etc) is not getting as many people out as possible right after he made that announcement(if not before hand) now maybe we did get a bunch of people out before the implosion. but i do think neither biden nor IC nor State expected it to implode this fast even though they should have. i am sure we will get some giant tome of a book laying out where each admin went wrong in like 20 years or so. perosnally i blame the pentagon for basicaly keeping everything underwraps and then when called on it, pretending everything was cool until someone finally said "if its so cool then, we dont need to be here".

The Pentagon is to blame, sure, but don't forget successive US Congresses making it more and more powerful while moving farther and farther away from executing any kind of oversight over it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Randarkman posted:

I'm going to say that the excessive focus on the Afghan security forces in terms of spending and effort compared to buildling civilian economic and political infrastructure is why this whole thing crumpled as it did. It takes more to make a resilient state than just pumping loads of money into trying to create a 'modern' military force in a country that completely lacks the economic, social and instiutional means to actually support such an army.

US contractors working on civilian infrastructure frequently paid protection money to the local Taliban so they could meet milestones. The US went a long way towards funding the Taliban's resurgence and takeover, as well as leaving behind materiel to arm them. America is just staggeringly careless and incompetent.

How are u posted:

I wholeheartedly agree. The Biden admin hosed this up. The blood of those collaborators, who risked their lives for us, is on their hands. I'm pretty loving furious.

Hopefully the rest of the world finally internalizes the lesson that cooperation with the US never leads to good outcomes. Fight the evil American empire at every turn and make whatever alliances are necessary to resist US infiltration.

Craptacular! posted:

This is such a loving atrocity. How are we unable to do this now and not, say, leave when the tyrant taking power was literally anyone else? Even the local warlords who stepped in the power vacuum for a time would be better than this because they would be against each other.

'I wish they had been stuck in an eternal civil war instead' is one hell of a take. Anyways, if you're mad about the Taliban, you should probably direct your anger at the blood soaked monsters that funded and enabled them: the USA.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
In... "fairness" isn't the right word... let's just say to clarify, telling the US military to create a big happy democratic country in a set of arbitrary borders containing people who don't see themselves as a singular people in the first place is an impossible nonsense mission even if it WAS sincere and not a propaganda line.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Pentagon is to blame, sure, but don't forget successive US Congresses making it more and more powerful while moving farther and farther away from executing any kind of oversight over it.

true. least biden seems to be wanting to get rid of ASOF or whatever so congress has oversight.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Bel Shazar posted:

If you haven’t realized it yet we reeeeeeeealy don’t give a poo poo about what the rest of you think. We don’t even really care what most of US think.

If you don't give a poo poo, why do you guys try to play world police all the time. This is just an obnoxious attitude to have, and really sums up why Americans are universally loathed outside of the US.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i would hesitate to grant biden any kudos for making the decision to leave afghanistan given the obvious failure to relocate Afghan allies who will, taliban promises aside, likely suffer and die because the admin did not move fast enough and did not prioritize it relative to other goals

it’s the kind of disgraceful failure to act that has pervaded through multiple administrations, obama’s includes

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Another proud graduate of Gitmo.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1426989769280659459

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
It's very weird that we're basically seeing the Fall of Saigon II but your average person doesn't know and doesn't give a poo poo.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

QuoProQuid posted:

i would hesitate to grant biden any kudos for making the decision to leave afghanistan given the obvious failure to relocate Afghan allies who will, taliban promises aside, likely suffer and die because the admin did not move fast enough and did not prioritize it relative to other goals

Biden did the same thing in Vietnam where he steadfastly refused to take in refugees even with Ford telling him he was being a huge dick.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If only there had been an influential senator, perhaps on the foreign relations committee, who had the foresight to see that victory was impossible and we should withdraw. Alas, all we had was dumbass Joe Biden.

https://www.foreign.senate.gov/hearings/afghanistan-time-for-a-new-strategy

Joe Biden, in 2007 posted:

BIDEN: Success in Afghanistan is Still Possible … if We Surge Forces Anywhere, it Should be in Afghanistan, not Iraq.

Today we face an issue “at the very heart of our war on terror: the deteriorating security conditions in Afghanistan. If current trends continue, we may soon find that our hard-won success on the battlefield has melted away.”

I didn’t write these words in preparation for this morning’s hearing. I spoke them nearly five years ago, on the floor of the United States Senate. [May 17, 2002]

I’m not bringing up old quotes to say, “I told you so,” but to make a simple point: the situation in Afghanistan is not an unforeseen circumstance. Plenty of military and civilian officials have been predicting exactly this outcome for years.

What’s the state of play? Osama bin Laden remains at large, right across the border in Pakistan in all probability. There are reports that he’s reconstituted his terrorist training camps. Given the chance to kill him at Tora Bora, the administration instead pulled most of our Special Forces, our CIA teams and Predators and sent them to Iraq.

The Taliban is back -- and keeping much of Afghanistan ungovernable. Suicide bombings, IEDs and other techniques imported from Iraq made last year the bloodiest since their ouster.

The government of Pakistan turns a blind eye to the Taliban cross-border attacks, and to the high command based in Quetta. Just last year, the government signed a “separate peace” with pro-Taliban militias in Waziristan.

Afghan reconstruction is stuck in first gear. President Bush promised a Marshall Plan, but he's delivered less development aid in the past five years than we spend on the war in Iraq every three weeks.

Last year Afghanistan produced 92% of the world’s opium. The proceeds prop up the Taliban, warlords and corrupt officials. There’s no serious counter-narcotics program. If the Administration pursues a poorly-conceived aerial poppy eradication plan, the results could be even worse.

Don’t get me wrong—we’ve accomplished some great things. Because of our efforts, millions of Afghan children are in school today. We’ve built roads and clinics. We’ve got American troops in Provincial Reconstruction Teams showing that the US military can be a wonderful friend as well as a fearsome enemy.

President Bush last month made two encouraging statements. First, he announced the deployment of an additional combat brigade to Afghanistan. This is important, because our NATO commanders desperately need not only several thousand battle-ready troops, but the helicopters, transport aircraft, and other military hardware that go with them. Second, he pledged $11.8 billion in new funding over the next two years. If these figures represent new funding in addition to currently-budgeted numbers, and if we focus on projects which bring real improvement to the lives of ordinary Afghans—this may be the start of a more successful strategy.

I certainly hope so. Because in Afghanistan, success still is possible. Failure is not thinkable. How can we turn things around? Very briefly, we need to do three things:

First, establish security. If we should be surging forces anywhere, it’s in Afghanistan, not Iraq. NATO troops are necessary, but not sufficient. We’ve also got to train the Afghan police and army—which means, for starters, paying them decent salaries.

Second, we have get moving on reconstruction. We need more funds, and we need to use them better. The Afghans are patient, but they’re not seeing reconstruction worthy of a superpower. As Gen. Eikenberry has said, “Where the road ends, the Taliban begins.”

Third, do counter-narcotics right. We should target multimillion-dollar drug kingpins, not the dollar-a-day opium farmers. Someday aerial eradication may have a place—but not until we’ve got alternate livelihoods set up for those growing poppy, and a judicial system capable of taking down the drug barons. Until then, we should focus on the top of the food-chain, not the bottom.

We have three witnesses today who can explain these issues in detail, with authority and expertise. First, we have Richard Boucher the Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia. We all know and respect him as a straight shooter.

Next we have Gen. James Jones who recently retired from the U.S. Marine Corps. Gen. Jones was the commander of NATO until early this year, and he supervised the 23 Alliance’s expansion to include responsibility for all of Afghanistan. And then we have Ambassador James Dobbins, currently at the RAND Corporation, who has served as Special Envoy for Afghanistan. In the immediate aftermath of 9/11, he served as liaison to the Afghan forces fighting alongside our troops to bring down the Taliban. Gentlemen welcome and I’ll now turn it over to Sen. Lugar for his opening statement.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Hopefully the rest of the world finally internalizes the lesson that cooperation with the US never leads to good outcomes. Fight the evil American empire at every turn and make whatever alliances are necessary to resist US infiltration.

I mean most of these "collaborators" aren't mustache twirling villains or silly dupes, they're people caught in pre existing factional conflicts that threaten the lives of their families. They're not just doing it wrong to make leftgoons mad, they're usually vulnerable people exploited by the US and then abandoned when it all goes belly up.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Thom12255 posted:

Biden did the same thing in Vietnam where he steadfastly refused to take in refugees even with Ford telling him he was being a huge dick.

it sucks poo poo and biden should be called out for it

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If you don't give a poo poo, why do you guys try to play world police all the time. This is just an obnoxious attitude to have, and really sums up why Americans are universally loathed outside of the US.

Im fairly certain it’s to remind the rest of you that we’re massive, violent, and unhinged.

Im not saying that’s the specific intent… maintaining economic hegemony is probably what’s actually on many leaders’ minds… but it’s really it’s to remind you that we are the eye of sauron and you really don’t want us taking a critical look at you.

It’s utter poo poo and we are a horrible, horrible nation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress, I knew they shouldn't have let anybody out!

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Grip it and rip it posted:

Seems like they propped up a regime pretty easily for 2 decades.

Do you have some examples of legitimate governmental institutions that have engaged in similar efforts of nation building in recent history? My admittedly limited recall of recent international history suggests that puppet regimes dont generally last long after their support departs. I dont think its a uniquely American problem

Maybe the UN when it temporarily took over Cambodia after Khmer Rouge? But that was mainly institution and norms building in a much more ethnically homogeneous country that also is, iirc, much easier to travel across.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

no hay camino posted:

It's very weird that we're basically seeing the Fall of Saigon II but your average person doesn't know and doesn't give a poo poo.

Not that weird, I remember seeing a documentary about the Vietnam War on TV a couple years ago and by the time Saigon rolled around, no-one in the US had given a poo poo, either. After Nixon's fall from grace, the US simply turned inward and tuned out everything happening in Vietnam. When Saigon fell, the average American did not care, only some politicians, same as today.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Well, if he wasn't an anti-American militant before he went in he sure as poo poo was afterwards. Weird how stochastic terror only seems to increase the number of people who hate you

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1426946512853118977?s=21

im going to loving scream

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Bel Shazar posted:

lol, just lol, if you did not know that USA was insanely incompetent at nation building before August 2021.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/jseldin/status/1426989373329973253

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"last burger in kabul" is going to be the title of a retrospective movie in a few decades

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

lilljonas posted:

lol, just lol, if you did not know that USA was insanely incompetent at nation building before August 2021.

Nation building is basically imaginary, somewhere between an impossible mission and a cynical propaganda line.

The closest thing is when both sides in a factional conflict agree to have peacekeepers administer/oversee a peace deal after it's agreed upon and open conflict is over already.

Of course neither Iraq nor Afghanistan were ANYTHING like that.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

"Airport is taking fire, we're sending troops to take care of it."

"Troops are taking fire, we're sending in more troops to take care of it."

"More troops, more fire. Moretroopsmorefire. MortroopmorfarMORTROOPMORFAR!"

It has the potential to be like the scene from Return of the Living Dead where the zombies keep requesting more ambulances for the brains.

Anybody who wants to attack Western targets knows that Kabul is the best place to do it right now, and ironically the Taliban are the only organized force with the position/resources to prevent those kinds of threats from loving everything up.

If the US is able to offer them enough money, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Taliban troops forming a defensive perimeter around the US evacuation areas to help them complete their withdrawal. They may not have greeted us as liberators, but maybe they'll wish us a fond farewell as their guests.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Fall of Kabul should have been marked by the fall of the final McDonalds imo

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Discospawn posted:

"Airport is taking fire, we're sending troops to take care of it."

"Troops are taking fire, we're sending in more troops to take care of it."

"More troops, more fire. Moretroopsmorefire. MortroopmorfarMORTROOPMORFAR!"

It has the potential to be like the scene from Return of the Living Dead where the zombies keep requesting more ambulances for the brains.

Anybody who wants to attack Western targets knows that Kabul is the best place to do it right now, and ironically the Taliban are the only organized force with the position/resources to prevent those kinds of threats from loving everything up.

If the US is able to offer them enough money, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Taliban troops forming a defensive perimeter around the US evacuation areas to help them complete their withdrawal. They may not have greeted us as liberators, but maybe they'll wish us a fond farewell as their guests.

https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/1426995373520924675

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

"How's the evacuation going?"

"It's going well, we're making good progress and proceeding roughly on schedule."

"How much has the population of remaining evacuees dropped in Kabul in the past 24 hours."

"Well, the technical answer would be -200%, but that's not the metric we are focusing on at the moment."

"That's negative two-hundred percent? We're trying to get everybody out of there. What... what metrics are you focused on if it's not the rate at which you're removing people from the city?"

"Well it's important that we take the steps necessary to secure the surrounding area and get it to the same level of security as a Forward Operating Base in any other country. Only once that's done can we effectively move forward with the original mission."

"So... you're trying to turn the city of Kabul back into an American 'Green Zone'?

"It worked in the past, so we have every reason to believe it's the right play again."

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

We are now invading Afghanistan in order to facilitate our retreat from Afghanistan.

We are a very smart country.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

We are now invading Afghanistan in order to facilitate our retreat from Afghanistan.

We are a very smart country.

Yeah even the most generous interpretation of what's going on and how it reflects on Biden has to say evacuating the military before the embassy was a huge mistake in retrospect. Everyone's probably going to be fine (on our end), but the process is still hosed.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Yeah even the most generous interpretation of what's going on and how it reflects on Biden has to say evacuating the military before the embassy was a huge mistake in retrospect. Everyone's probably going to be fine (on our end), but the process is still hosed.
If they'd evacuated the embassy, it would have emboldened the Taliban!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

welcome to the post benghazi world where an embassy reporting that their security situation is rapidly deteriorating gets a massive, quick response

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/bsarwary/status/1427002551858311173

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Airport is probably gonna be renamed fairly soon.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mustard Iceman posted:

direct flight OBL -> JFK, one way ticket please

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Gotta be pretty happy about the relative bloodlessness so far at least I suppose

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Isn't Karzai part of the transition team working with the Taliban? He might get to keep it

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Mustard Iceman posted:

True, the rubble will be called the Karzai Memorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I know the Taliban are obviously bad and not good. But I couldn't help but be amused by this NYT piece. It rattles about the Taliban "instilling terror" but it mostly ends up showing them in a not-the-worst light -- they coerce municipal workers with the goal of ensuring continuity of essential services, and they at one point fund the operating costs of a guy whose business got war-wrecked. It'll all go to poo poo very soon but lol at NYT's framing of this story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/15/world/asia/afghanistan-taliban-kunduz.html