Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This week I read on the ABC that the Government was going to let 2000(?) people from Afghanistan come in. Yesterday the ABC was reporting that the flights were going to happen "as early as next week".

Good thing for the Government that hey don't have a week huh. No awkward questions about it now, it's all too late. We're at stage 4 of the foreign crises - you can play that exact scene from "A Victory for Democracy" ("Yes, Prime Minister" BBC 1986).

Comstar fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

yeah melbourne is fukt

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I still have hope Melbourne can grind it back down to nothing. Partly out of some vague hope that we have better systems and understandings in place for dealing with lockdown in CALD communities compared to NSW, which appears to have rested on its laurels for the past year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’m glad to be getting my first jab tomorrow tbh

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

freebooter posted:

Not sure when you think any state or territory leader ignored the medical advice prior to (probably) Berejiklian in June 2021?

WA is undoubtedly one of the world's most successful jurisdictions - with a good deal of luck beyond the border closure, given their dubious internal controls, testing numbers and general attitudes - but I don't think they've done anything that's not comparable to other Australian states and territories, particularly SA, the NT and Tasmania.

I didn't say SA, NT or Tasmania haven't handled it well. I asked that people stop acting as if places hadn't done well at handling this and didn't know what to do from the beginning. I feel like Dan didn't follow proper medical advice the last time around, took a while to get to proper lockdowns didn't it? I could be wrong, I only get secondhand news of whatever Victoria had been doing and its a year gone now.

spaceblancmange posted:

It's fair to say Melbourne won't see another donut day. You can do everything right regarding public health measures and it can still get away if it is in a vulnerable population. No one wants to say the phrase 'flatten the curve' but that's what the reality is now.

Why would it not be possible to see another donut day? It's only a matter of political will. We crushed polio and smallpox, we almost had measles in the bag before dumbfuck-I made my own vaccine Doctorman decide to besmirch MMR vaccines and chucked fuel on the anti-vax fire. Heck, it looks to me at this point that if the world actually wanted to, we could put a bullet in the back of the flu and covid in one go. But that would require government controls and social assistance that most people won't be comfortable with.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Konomex posted:

Why would it not be possible to see another donut day? It's only a matter of political will.

:shucks:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Someone sent this to me. I didn't see it posted.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

lol nsw had it all under control then CANBERRA had to go and ruin everything i cant believe CANBERRA did this to everybody will CANBERRA apologize for doing this to poor innocent nsw just sitting there minding its business hurting nobody

https://twitter.com/Qldaah/status/1426731950585180162

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The only threat to regional NSW from Canberra is The Nats

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Konomex posted:

I didn't say SA, NT or Tasmania haven't handled it well. I asked that people stop acting as if places hadn't done well at handling this and didn't know what to do from the beginning. I feel like Dan didn't follow proper medical advice the last time around, took a while to get to proper lockdowns didn't it? I could be wrong, I only get secondhand news of whatever Victoria had been doing and its a year gone now.

Dan waited too long to put us in lockdown in mid-2020 (100ish cases a day) but that was only clear in hindsight and was not against the medical advice Sutton et al were giving him at the time.

Remember that at the time neither Victoria nor NSW (and I think maybe SA and Queensland as well?) had driven down to zero from the initial March/April "wave," if you can even call it that in retrospect, and it wasn't clear it would be possible; the general line of thinking was that the best scenario would be keeping it under control through contact tracing and capacity restrictions etc. National Cabinet didn't agree on "no community transmission" as a policy until June, and Berejiklian was claiming elimination was "impossible" well into late 2020 even as almost every other state accomplished it and then hers did by accident too.

Konomex posted:

Why would it not be possible to see another donut day? It's only a matter of political will. We crushed polio and smallpox, we almost had measles in the bag before dumbfuck-I made my own vaccine Doctorman decide to besmirch MMR vaccines and chucked fuel on the anti-vax fire. Heck, it looks to me at this point that if the world actually wanted to, we could put a bullet in the back of the flu and covid in one go. But that would require government controls and social assistance that most people won't be comfortable with.

We're never going to be rid of the flu unless we also want to exterminate about half the planet's wild bird species. Eliminating COVID any time soon is also unlikely now that it's found its mutating way into every nook and cranny of the world, including places with no effective governance. We can barely get people in Sydney to stop visiting their mates, you're not about to make COVID-infected refugees in Afghanistan stop fleeing the Taliban.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

freebooter posted:

We're never going to be rid of the flu unless we also want to exterminate about half the planet's wild bird species.

Was this not the current plan? Because it's what is happening.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

freebooter posted:

places with no effective governance.

Yes, we know about NSW.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Wouldn't surprise me if Barilaro toilet posted the regional lockdown.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

We're never going to be rid of the flu unless we also want to exterminate about half the planet's wild bird species. Eliminating COVID any time soon is also unlikely now that it's found its mutating way into every nook and cranny of the world, including places with no effective governance. We can barely get people in Sydney to stop visiting their mates, you're not about to make COVID-infected refugees in Afghanistan stop fleeing the Taliban.

I mean there is a whole bunch of research being done on universal flu vaccines and it looks like there is a few candidates getting close -at least one in clinical trials- and with all the additional research funding and intrest that has been put into vaccines research over the last year or so -and that will likely continue for a while longer while worries about additional covid variants emerging exists- I could easily see most if not all the flu stains effectively been rid of in humans within two decades.

If half the worlds birds want to be brain dead anti-vaxxers well will suck to be them I guess. :shrug:

somebodyelse
Jul 20, 2013
My brother booked in for pfizer last week, drove over to Olympic Park to get 'er in an hour ago, got turned away because it was supposed to be a mass vacc event for tradies. Good rollout NSW

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If we eradicate human influenza it’s going to be because we eradicated humans

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

ah gross this story is from 9news.

'Too much of a coincidence': David Elliott links case spike to illegal protests held in Sydney's CBD last month

A huge spike in local case numbers in NSW is "too much of a coincidence" to not be linked to illegal protests held in Sydney's CBD last month, Police Minister David Elliot has said.

While speaking on the new powers police will have to enforce strict lockdown measures, Mr Elliott admitted he believes a steep increase in positive COVID-19 cases across the state may be attributed to the anti-lockdown protests.

"I think it is too much of a coincidence that we had a reckless gathering three weeks ago, and now these numbers just keep going (up)," he said on Weekend Today.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow, the police minister is also an epidemiologist.
What a multi skilled chap

lua
Jun 16, 2013
How do you all think the next few years are gonna play out in Australia?

We’re talking about ‘opening up’ at the end of the year, but that’s apparently considered unviable if NSW still has thousands of cases. How are we ever not going to have hundreds or thousands of cases if we’ve returned to some kind of normality? We can barely contain it now, when we’re locked down half the time. Vaccines will help, but the uk is 70% vaccinated and has 29,000 cases per day.

Alternatively, what’s ever gonna change once we’ve vaccinated most people? Is the implicit strategy that we go in and out of restrictions for the rest of time? Domestic eradication with even harder borders? Letting her rip?

lua fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 15, 2021

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

dissolve nsw, move the victoria-qld border to just below the blue mountains, everyone wins

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lua posted:

We’re talking about ‘opening up’ at the end of the year, but that’s apparently considered unviable if NSW still has thousands of cases. How are we ever not going to have hundreds or thousands of cases if we’ve returned to some kind of normality? We can barely contain it now, when we’re locked down half the time. Vaccines will help, but the uk is 70% vaccinated and has 29,000 cases per day.

Alternatively, what’s ever gonna change once we’ve vaccinated most people? Is the implicit strategy that we go in and out of restrictions for the rest of time? Domestic eradication with even harder borders? Letting her rip?

When most people are vaccinated we don't have to worry about them ending up in hospital.
Then it's treated like the flu, England style.
Dunno if this is a good idea or not but I reckon that's their plan

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

bell jar posted:

dissolve nsw, move the victoria-qld border to just below the blue mountains, everyone wins

Make the Barrassi line an official state border.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

bell jar posted:

gently caress that, I am not going to live in Queensland.

Move the border to just below Ballina, they can having loving Byron.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

bell jar posted:

We'd like the Blue Mountains thx. Sydney can become south Brisbane though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Getting reports that sewage is showing covid fragments around the Carlton public housing estate. If it's back in the towers thats super loving bad.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

lua posted:

I doubt there's going to be much appetite for restrictions once everyone who wants a vaccine has got one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

lua posted:

After you get vaccines into the majority of the population, I'm not sure what you can resonably do with a disease that is embedded in too many parts of the world. Giving the freedom to travel to vaccinated people is a start and honestly while some might go on about a select few who want to gently caress off to France for winter ski-ing, the majority of people wanting to travel are going to do so for family reasons and frankly two years for loved ones being forceably apart is too long - the problem here of course the loving feds resistance to making a decent quarantine system that can handle more people! - we *should* have something like Howard Springs except able to have 20,000 go through it a week by now.

No one gets on a plane without a vaccination is the baseline now too.

Overall the problem is no one with any hint of foresight or willingness to do jack poo poo is in charge in Canberra. They clearly are going to let er rip at 70-80% vaccination rate and they have not done a thing to prepare or even do some sort of mitigation

lua
Jun 16, 2013

EoinCannon posted:

When most people are vaccinated we don't have to worry about them ending up in hospital.
Then it's treated like the flu, England style.
Dunno if this is a good idea or not but I reckon that's their plan

That's what I've been assuming too, but it seems pretty inconsistent with what's in the Age article I linked. Doherty's scenario for opening up with low cases assumes about 15 cases per day and their scenario with current-ish cases in NSW assumes 2144 and is considered unacceptable. Vic's health minister says 'moving to a world without lockdowns was only possible with “zero or low cases” nationwide'.

This is obviously not scientific, but thinking about places actually treating it like a flu: the UK's current daily cases scaled for our population would be 11,020 per day. Connecticut's (75% vaxxed) and Malta's (79%) would be 4000-5000. That's a lot more than 15.

We seem to be shooting for both 'opening up' and a tiny fraction of the daily cases that places that have opened up have. Obviously we have better tracing and harder borders than many places, but it still seems kind of implausible unless 'opening up' means 'opening up to in-between-lockdown levels, retaining a hard border, and then probably still restricting ourselves when it spreads, for the foreseeable future'.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

lua posted:

The focus will be on hospital capacity. We'll be doing the UK timeline, just delayed. We pray we don't get a truly immune-escaping variant that ends society as we know it.

Immunocompromised people are hosed and THOUSANDS across every demographic—children and healthy adults—will be disabled by long covid and scarred lungs every year because the vaccines arent hugely effective against anything but keeping down critical cases. They'll be forgotten.

Let er rip.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

lua posted:

How many cases on the flu would the UK have per day in a normal season? I think at some point, with everyone vaccinated who is going to get vaccinated that we'll open up. Case numbers are up because they opened up but the death rate is way down, and most of those dying didn't or wouldn't get the vaccine.

Again, I think if the world wanted we could have sought an elimination strategy, but I doubt the political will is there. Especially with America sitting in its corner jamming crayons in its nose, and no one is going to cut long term ties with America just so we don't have another flu killing so many of us a year.

A reminder that my Granddad was killed by the complications brought on by the flu because a fuckwit thought it would be okay to visit him whilst clearly sick.

We could just let it run rampant once we're vaccinated but really push the public health messages of washing your hands, sneezing into your elbow, wearing a mask when you're sick and staying home from work when ill. Heck, Labor could double down on its old school values and campaign on increased sick leave for all workers, including casuals, so that we could actually facilitate staying home whilst ill. It could be government funded to a degree, fund it through a business tax. The increased productivity through reduced sick days, and they will reduce if people stop coming in to work to spread their sickness, will balance out the tax and we'll probably wind up with a net positive in productivity and GDP gains.

Run some social media campaigns, 'be an Aussie, chuck a sickie' over images of people who are sick. Show some leadership and crush Morrison in the next election. 12 days of sick leave a year is not enough, your average person gets 4 respiratory illneses a year, and each of those take anywhere from 5-14 days to fully recover from. One flu pretty much wipes up your sick leave, if you are permanent, and then you're coming in to work so you don't starve/get evicted for the next 3. Meanwhile, you pass it on to everyone else. Casuals just come into work at Coles and Woolies and give it to the whole community.

Public health in the Western world is hosed.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, we should all expect to catch it at some point unless a much more powerful vaccine is discovered.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure however things go, we should expect booster shots.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

lua posted:

That's what I've been assuming too, but it seems pretty inconsistent with what's in the Age article I linked. Doherty's scenario for opening up with low cases assumes about 15 cases per day and their scenario with current-ish cases in NSW assumes 2144 and is considered unacceptable. Vic's health minister says 'moving to a world without lockdowns was only possible with “zero or low cases” nationwide'.

This is obviously not scientific, but thinking about places actually treating it like a flu: the UK's current daily cases scaled for our population would be 11,020 per day. Connecticut's (75% vaxxed) and Malta's (79%) would be 4000-5000. That's a lot more than 15.

We seem to be shooting for both 'opening up' and a tiny fraction of the daily cases that places that have opened up have. Obviously we have better tracing and harder borders than many places, but it still seems kind of implausible unless 'opening up' means 'opening up to in-between-lockdown levels, retaining a hard border, and then probably still restricting ourselves when it spreads, for the foreseeable future'.

Once it's burnt through the anti vaxxers it should settle down to a much lower number moving forward.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think (best case scenario at this point) we end up like the rest of the world in wealthy countries that haven't got half their population brainwashed like the US: with 90%+ of the population vaxxed (including children) and it ends up massively circulating, constantly, on a worse level than the flu (because it's more contagious) but kills and hospitalises way fewer people. That's in, like, a year or two. There's going to be an in-between stage where we're at like 70/80% vaxxed and still have TTI restrictions, localised lockdowns and the hard border mostly remains. We're definitely going to see home quarantine, test on departure and arrival, red-list countries etc as some form of graded semi-quarantine for as long as there's any attempt to control the spread within Australia.

Hashy posted:

Immunocompromised people are hosed and THOUSANDS across every demographic—children and healthy adults—will be disabled by long covid and scarred lungs every year because the vaccines arent hugely effective against anything but keeping down critical cases.

I'm not keen on the way we ignore the effects of COVID anything short of death either, but it's not going to be thousands of people every year, and the vaccines are effective at preventing serious illness - which means effective at preventing long COVID and scarred lungs and all that nasty poo poo.

Immunocompromised people who can't get vaccinated or for whom the vaccines aren't effective are indeed hosed. Risk death every day or live as a hermit. And gently caress the people who always just shrug and say "well immunocompromised people have always had to be careful with their health." Not like this they loving haven't. There has existed nothing like this in living memory.

Konomex posted:

How many cases on the flu would the UK have per day in a normal season? I think at some point, with everyone vaccinated who is going to get vaccinated that we'll open up. Case numbers are up because they opened up but the death rate is way down, and most of those dying didn't or wouldn't get the vaccine.

I did the maths a while back and it depends on which year you pick because flu deaths can fluctuate quite a lot with different strains, but if you average it out to like 15,000 a year and then smooth that across a whole year it's about 40 a day. The UK is currently averaging 80 or 90 COVID deaths a day, in summer, and I think still with some restrictions in place. That doesn't really bode well for winter.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

freebooter posted:

I'm not keen on the way we ignore the effects of COVID anything short of death either, but it's not going to be thousands of people every year, and the vaccines are effective at preventing serious illness - which means effective at preventing long COVID and scarred lungs and all that nasty poo poo.
Long covid crops up in cases that don't get "critical" (ie seeking hospital care) by all measurements and with Delta pretty commonly in kids. It's the health crisis to define a generation

If you think zoomers hate older generations for saddling them with climate destruction and telling them to bootstrap their way through end-stage capitalism wait until we've given a sizable chunk of them long covid

https://www.france24.com/en/health/20210812-young-people-hit-hard-by-long-covid-as-delta-variant-surges

Hashy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 16, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

So uh... Are we going to keep venerating our elite SAS troops for their role in stopping the Taliban?

The war crimes and captured prosthetics don't seem to have had much of an effect.

Also I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we maybe waited a little too long to decide what to do with a bunch of our local contacts and interpreters?

What a loving mire of misery. What a disgusting chapter in our petite imperialist legacy.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Animal Friend posted:

So uh... Are we going to keep venerating our elite SAS troops for their role in stopping the Taliban?

The war crimes and captured prosthetics don't seem to have had much of an effect.

Also I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we maybe waited a little too long to decide what to do with a bunch of our local contacts and interpreters?

What a loving mire of misery. What a disgusting chapter in our petite imperialist legacy.

Scummo was talking on the ABC this morning about how they consider the 20 year war in Afghanistan an success because the whole point of it was to stop Al Qaeda and get rid of Osama. Freedom!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Hashy posted:

Long covid crops up in cases that don't get "critical" (ie seeking hospital care) by all measurements and with Delta pretty commonly in kids. It's the health crisis to define a generation

If you think zoomers hate older generations for saddling them with climate destruction and telling them to bootstrap their way through end-stage capitalism wait until we've given a sizable chunk of them long covid

https://www.france24.com/en/health/20210812-young-people-hit-hard-by-long-covid-as-delta-variant-surges

Evidence of long covid in vaccinated people is so minimal, there's difficulty in finding people to study from what I can find. Also vaccines help deal with long covid if you are infected before vaccination.

Now yes, unvaccinated it's a huge problem and the big issue is that even in countries with high vaccination rates, they are only really getting to the younger population now. But I dont think it'll be a generation defining issue now vaccination rates are going up and vaccination approval for younger children coming very soon. It's going to be vaccinated vs unvaccinated no matter the age.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
3 day lockdown announced for Darwin, Katherine, and Palmerston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Very funny that Morrison and Gladys are now leaking against one another in the murdoch press.

News.com.au :barf: posted:

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian “lost her sh*t” over claims that she ignored the Prime Minister’s advice to lockdown the entire state days ago according to senior colleagues.

NSW ministers have told news.com.au that Ms Berejiklian is fed up with the constant undermining by the Morrison Government and expressed her anger on Sunday during private discussions where she threatened to return fire.

The latest flashpoint in the relationship between the Morrison Government and the NSW Premier as the Covid crisis engulfs the state came after The Sunday Telegraph reported on Saturday night the NSW Premier had been urged to lockdown days ago by the Prime Minister.

The Sydney Morning Herald subsequently reported that a source in the Prime Minister’s office “who requested anonymity” had also briefed a journalist on the claim, prompting a furious discussion between the NSW Premier and other ministers on Sunday.

As tensions rise between the Prime Minister and the NSW Premier, senior colleagues say Ms Berejiklian is fed up with the political machinations seeking to detail her private discussions to the media.

“Gladys lost her sh*t. She said ‘That’s rubbish, that’s absolute rubbish’,” a NSW minister told news.com.au.

“She said, ‘If they want to start backgrounding on stuff like this, maybe it’s time I started leaking stuff that the PM says to me that never comes to fruition, like on vaccines’.”

But sources familiar with discussions in the national security committee of the federal cabinet insist that the need for statewide lockdown was definitely discussed on Thursday.

The Prime Minister confirmed on Sunday this advice was conveyed to the NSW Premier but he wouldn’t say when, how, or why the NSW Premier had failed to act.

Let them fight.