Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Terminal autist posted:

So would you say its a cultural or genetical deficiency that results in the average person from the middle east yearning for authoritarianism?

The "average Middle-Eastern country" is built on some combination of theocracy and democracy, the question is where on the scale they fall. In the case of Afghanistan, the people wanted the Taliban to win. Possibly because the Taliban paid them more. I do not think the people in general love authoritarianism, but many like the kind of things that it brings about, like religious police keeping the LGBTs down. There are people who actually like that sort of thing happening and aren't considered radical for it, and our eyes see it very differently.

I get what you're going with the whole "we're all humans" thing but please don't pretend that centuries of religious rule even if only in name doesn't change people's perspective somewhat. If the USA was officially named "The Christian Republic of the United States" I would be uncomfortable with where are freedoms are even if the country doesn't change overnight.

(EDIT: This definitely isn't exclusive to the ME either. There are Chinese people who don't think authoritarianism is ideal on paper but have convinced themselves that the PRC's human rights abuses on Muslims is necessary.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Discospawn posted:

"Airport is taking fire, we're sending troops to take care of it."

"Troops are taking fire, we're sending in more troops to take care of it."

"More troops, more fire. Moretroopsmorefire. MortroopmorfarMORTROOPMORFAR!"

Send in more airports!

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Why didn't America "highway of death" the Taliban as they were moving from province to province?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Fumble posted:

Why didn't America "highway of death" the Taliban as they were moving from province to province?

Part of the pull out over the past few months has been a big decrease in flight operations over the country. There have been some bombings of Taliban movements the past week but nowhere near what was happening in 2018.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Zotix posted:

It's over.

man imagine if we had just fully pulled out then :smith:

Fumble posted:

the us has been past the point of being able to kill their way out of defeat for at least a decade. And it's not for lack of trying.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 16, 2021

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Fumble posted:

They tried but the Taliban managed to counter it by running across the Pakistan border and screaming "BASE!"

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Why didn't we just nuke the Taliban? ?!?

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
It's so off putting to hear states referred to as "we" like a nation state is an embodiment of you. Or even if you are a nationalist, like you have any influence on the US military

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Fumble posted:

I think The Taliban captured cities in the same way Mormon's canvass neighborhoods. Just small groups going door to door, politely asking if residents were interested in discussing the Truth of Taliban, and it turned out the residents were very interested.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Unfortunately the US only learned from that one and applied it a few months ago for Covid-19.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Fumble posted:

We tried but unfortunately we just incinerated a large amount of wedding parties. Oh well, what can ya do.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I don’t see how warlords and ISIS completely and utterly taking over Iraq is a missed memory to be fondly what-iffed about personally

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

THis would have all been prevented if we wouldn't have given Kuwait slant drilling tech.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/JawadSukhanyar/status/1427087901511278592

rushing to what is apparently the last flight permitted to land. NATO forces apparently firing into the air to try and turn the mob away.

this is looking nothing like Saigon, it is worse.

e:

https://twitter.com/evanhill/status/1427128710906458114

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 16, 2021

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

drunkill posted:

https://twitter.com/whatismoo/status/1426939056970244103

Now, reused rego number or same bird parked on the carrier deck?

mission accomplished

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

The "average Middle-Eastern country" is built on some combination of theocracy and democracy, the question is where on the scale they fall. In the case of Afghanistan, the people wanted the Taliban to win. Possibly because the Taliban paid them more. I do not think the people in general love authoritarianism, but many like the kind of things that it brings about, like religious police keeping the LGBTs down. There are people who actually like that sort of thing happening and aren't considered radical for it, and our eyes see it very differently.

I get what you're going with the whole "we're all humans" thing but please don't pretend that centuries of religious rule even if only in name doesn't change people's perspective somewhat. If the USA was officially named "The Christian Republic of the United States" I would be uncomfortable with where are freedoms are even if the country doesn't change overnight.

(EDIT: This definitely isn't exclusive to the ME either. There are Chinese people who don't think authoritarianism is ideal on paper but have convinced themselves that the PRC's human rights abuses on Muslims is necessary.)

An addendum here is also that democracy is pretty worthless if you don't have strong institutions loyal to the idea of nation-state and democracy. Sure you get to vote, but what does it matter if someone powerful keeps stuffing the ballots and nothing that goes on in the government effects you. Democracies are incredibly motivating institutions once they're going, but getting there is not necessarily that easy (and voting is often one of the least important and last parts of it if you look at the succesful democracies of west and asia).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I guess it's easy to forget about folk like Mosaddegh, and how we actively boosted fundamentalists because they were willing to be fervently anti-communist.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lets talk about whats going to happen to the ANA SF guys that the US actually made a fascist fighting force out of. What will happen to them? Will picked soldiers from the units be turned into our newest assets in the region? Or will they roll over to russia

My theory is that many will roll over as it gives them safe haven in Russia / Uzbekistan. then they are run as mercs melded into a wagner style group.

It will be an interesting story to know, hope someone covers it over the next few years.

Here we go the wikis are being updated

And for our timeline

quote:

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani: The Taliban imposed their authority by force of arms

Unlike the taliban, the Ghani did project his authority with force. :thumbsup:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 16, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Here we go the wikis are being updated

The president-in-exile sips his tea, delegating his various potential duties to the rest of the government-in-exile. His general-in-exile informs him that the army-in-exile's quantum morale is high. He's established diplomatic relations with the other possible governments; Juan Guaido of Venezuela, Ivonka Survilla of Belarus, and Poochie of Itchy&Scratchy. With such alternative-allies at his side, the recapture of Afghanistan within the next hundred years is certain.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-afghanistan-surrender-withdrawal-ashraf-ghani-kabul-saigon-jihadist-9-11-11629054041?mod=e2tw

the media is very upset that they have no more fall back war to cover

https://twitter.com/NicolaCareem/status/1427122975971561475

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 16, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Getting real Retreat from Kabul vibes from those airport scenes.

Seriously, read the original Flashman novel: they abandoned all the locals then as well, not that it did them any good in the end.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Flashman posted:

All that afternoon we toiled on, and we were long short of Khoord-Kabul when night came freezing down. The Afghans hung on our flanks, and when men—aye, and women and children—dropped by the wayside, they were pounced on as soon as the column had passed and murdered. The Afghans saw that our chiefs were not prepared to fight back, so they snapped at our heels, making little sorties on the baggage train, cutting up the native drivers, and scattering into the rocks only when our cavalry approached. Already the column was falling into utter disorder; the main body gave no thought to the thousands of native camp-followers, who were bitterly affected by the cold and want of food; hundreds fell by the way, so that in our wake there was a litter not only of bundles and baggage, but of corpses. And this was within a twenty-minute gallop of Kabul.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kind of annoyed that I can't change the taliban's wikipedia page to state "The Afghan Security Forces" instead of Taliban

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Just in case people try to retcon this
https://twitter.com/JeromeTaylor/status/1427134648228859912

it was never about Afghan civilians

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the way America is treating their collaborators with such open contempt and refusing to let go of their stupid Visa beuracracy bin the face of the situation is a really good lesson for anyone else in the world who was thinking of helping out the US in any future endeavor lol.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/IntelWalrus/status/1427126651272433664?s=19

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

An addendum here is also that democracy is pretty worthless if you don't have strong institutions loyal to the idea of nation-state and democracy. Sure you get to vote, but what does it matter if someone powerful keeps stuffing the ballots and nothing that goes on in the government effects you. Democracies are incredibly motivating institutions once they're going, but getting there is not necessarily that easy (and voting is often one of the least important and last parts of it if you look at the succesful democracies of west and asia).

We.. we're still talking about Afghanistan yeah?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
This isn't Saigon. It's much, much worse.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1427148181238919169

edit:

Might be the result of a stampede

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1427149873305038850

Boat Stuck fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 16, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Confirmed now. Seems that American forces have opened up on the crowd, a lot of fire at the airport.

https://twitter.com/newley/status/1427159864413855744

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1427153990295461893

https://twitter.com/ahmermkhan/status/1427159196953239561

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
LOLLLL

https://twitter.com/javedhassan/status/1427160135894503427?s=21

The Chinese are A+ trolls

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Airport perimeter is gone

https://twitter.com/SowaibahH/status/1427165408931446787

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1427158703816519680?s=20

This is way more damning of the US's presence than any violent clashes would have been.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MiddleOne posted:

Sure you get to vote, but what does it matter if someone powerful keeps stuffing the ballots and nothing that goes on in the government effects you.

This is sort of why I gave up on Afghanistan around 2009 when Karzai retained power on questionable terms. I kind of feel the state we created at gunpoint has handed Abdullah Abdullah in particular a poo poo sandwich repeatedly. Lost presidency twice, was put in charge of negotiating with the Taliban when he threatened to form a splinter government, and is now making videos begging the Taliban to please be gentle with their carnage. Maybe he should have never been President but he's at least putting on a public face instead of hiding in exile.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So in general terms I'm still in the camp of blaming presidents in the order they started/inherited the war, with Bush first and Biden last, but holy poo poo was this withdrawal botched, and Biden gets stuck with some blame for that, he deserves it. Withdrawing is good, but it didn't have to be this much of a poo poo show.

https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1427099866723848195

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 16, 2021

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

I feel so sorry for the people of Kabul, what a terrifying situation to be in. Those reports from the airport are heartbreaking.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The fact that the Taliban have had such an unexpectedly quick and easy victory might in hindsight be seen as a good thing as it allows them to be magnanimous victors and avoided filling the majority of their fighters with bloodlust.

Obviously right now the intent of the Taliban is unclear so it may of course end up with a despotic violent theocracy that's no better than the worst fears. At least there is some hope of a slightly better outcome.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Flayer posted:

The fact that the Taliban have had such an unexpectedly quick and easy victory might in hindsight be seen as a good thing as it allows them to be magnanimous victors and avoided filling the majority of their fighters with bloodlust.

Obviously right now the intent of the Taliban is unclear so it may of course end up with a despotic violent theocracy that's no better than the worst fears. At least there is some hope of a slightly better outcome.

What do you mean 'the intent of the Taliban is unclear'? Their fundamental intent as a political entity has been open and explicit for 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

yep, this video is gonna be plastered all over the place in the coming weeks, this is straightup george lucas "its like poetry, it rhymes" in terms of imagery