Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
That flight to Istanbul on Flightradar is never going anywhere is it. I can only imagine there's currently scores of people fighting their way into the cargo hold right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1426595888500199425

There's so many US guns that prices are starting to drop.

Cheaper than top end video cards lmao

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
anyone have any recommendations of books on afghanistan/the war? i´ve read Carlotta Gall's The Wrong Enemy but feel like i should get more perspectives

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i don't imagine there's even any kind of local intel we haven't burned or compromised, or even formal backdoor communication line with the taliban to cut some kind of backroom deal to let us get our poo poo out in exchange for a promise of formal recognition (lol) and aid shipments they can resale on the market instantly

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Palladium posted:

Cheaper than top end video cards lmao

bitcoins for bullets program to disarm the taliban

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
video on twitter of people falling from a c-17, stowed away in the wheel wells

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

thoughts and prayers

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Vasukhani posted:

No loving way, what a loving nightmare if that’s true. Fuuuuuck

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Answers Me posted:

That flight to Istanbul on Flightradar is never going anywhere is it. I can only imagine there's currently scores of people fighting their way into the cargo hold right now.

wheel well stowaways have a ~75% fatality rate, but the cargo hold should be ok as long as u have a jacket

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Vasukhani posted:

share for research purposes

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Vasukhani posted:

god that’s terrible

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
gently caress, literal last plane out of da nang poo poo

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A MAGAZINE INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE FALL OF AFGHANISTAN AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, THE TALIBAN. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME YANKEE BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY DEFEATED THE WORLDS MOST DANGEROUS SUPERPOWER. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY INSURGENT CELL AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN INSURGENT CELLS CAN STILL DEFEAT GLOBAL IMPERIALISM. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY COUNTRY MORE FREE BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

dads friend steve posted:

wheel well stowaways have a ~75% fatality rate, but the cargo hold should be ok as long as u have a jacket

So what kills them? Is it the fact that the Wheel wells aren’t pressurized so they freeze to death or suffocate in the high altitudes?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/FrontalForce/status/1427187289025777669?s=20

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i don't imagine they have too many sensors in there to check if they're about to turn something into a patty

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Al-Saqr posted:

So what kills them? Is it the fact that the Wheel wells aren’t pressurized so they freeze to death or suffocate in the high altitudes?

Yes, or they fall to their death on takeoff / landing or they just get crushed by the machinery

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

It's true the bodies landed in kabul

https://twitter.com/AsvakaNews/status/1427172720446373892

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

a million things. it gets extremely cold and hypoxic so u freeze and lose consciousness. even if u don’t die from exposure, u can fall out when the wheels go down because you’re knocked out

at cruising altitude the air pressure is so low you can get the bends, like a scuba diver

wheel wells aren’t much bigger than the wheels, so crushing is a real problem as well

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
are there gonna be more fatalities from the disorganized retreat from kabul than from the entire rest of the taliban operation this week

Tiler Kiwi has issued a correction as of 09:42 on Aug 16, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the few people who survive basically go comatose at high altitude, the hypothermia counteracts the hypoxia perfectly, and they survive the fall when the landing gear opens and their unconscious body plummeting from who knows how high

I'd rather face the Taliban

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
gently caress

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

goddamn they really tried it. that’s a terrible way to go

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
wOuLd YoU pEoPlE pReFeR wE sTaY tHeRe FoReVeR?!?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
wasteful and stupid, much like everything else in the war on terror

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

20 loving years to come up with a way out. and it’s just so loving slapdash and cruel

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it sucks that the taliban aren't as much of the obvious good guys as north korea or north vietnam because gloating to libs I know will inevitably lead to the conversation about whether or not the USA willfully helping to destroy women's rights in afghanistan 40 years ago means we have to stay the course now

I told my chinese friend about the afghani people left behind and she didn't get why afgani people worked for the USA and I said "like the chinese collaborators for the japanese in WWII, they got left behind right"

and she said hang them all

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

everything the US touches turns to dogshit

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
The US are dropping Afghans from aircraft Pinochet style?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It probably would've still been pretty drat bad if the puppet government lasted as long as they were convincing themselves it would, but not AS bad.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they're not letting any of the afghan refugees into the United States, ever, lol

its beyond cruelty, its just "well if one of them does any criminal act ever, there will be bad election ads against us, so to best serve these people we must make sure there is extensive, bipartisan means testing for them"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

madey posted:

The US are dropping Afghans from aircraft Pinochet style?

No people are so desperate they literally tried hanging onto the wheels but then fell off when the plane ascended

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

McNugget Buddy posted:

The story about Obama saying "this is my foreign policy" and writing "DO NOT DO STUPID poo poo" on a whiteboard (and making Hillary mad in the process) was great
*proceeds to immediately do a bunch of stupid poo poo*

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

they're not letting any of the afghan refugees into the United States, ever, lol

its beyond cruelty, its just "well if one of them does any criminal act ever, there will be bad election ads against us, so to best serve these people we must make sure there is extensive, bipartisan means testing for them"

What makes this so insane is that America seems to think their sacred strip malls and Arby’s and miles and miles of just nothingness is just too precious to let it be desecrated with the people who literally helped them at risk of their own lives loooll

Oh jeez oh no we cant let this Afghani interpreter ruin the view of the local Hooters in Arkansas we gotta make them go through years of visa applications

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

It probably would've still been pretty drat bad if the puppet government lasted as long as they were convincing themselves it would, but not AS bad.

im going to make a wild guess and say they probably understood on some level it might be hosed, which resulted in intel purges, obsession over leakers, and a culture of refusing to plan ahead for anything but the most optimistic outlook cuz otherwise you're a defeatist / not a team player / forced to admit fault or weakness that could sabatoge your career even if you turn out correct (actually, being correct would probably result in even more reprisals)

so if you tried to propose a plan or offer a more negative outlook you'd get blacklisted and shut down

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

It would have been vastly worse since taking a city with military force turns it into rubble.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/ahmermkhan/status/1427187050168524802?s=21

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

What makes this so insane is that America seems to think their sacred strip malls and Arby’s and miles and miles of just nothingness is just too precious to let it be desecrated with the people who literally helped them at risk of their own lives loooll

Oh jeez oh no we cant let this Afghani interpreter ruin the view of the local Hooters in Arkansas we gotta make them go through years of visa applications

what good is being proud of your nation if they just let anyone in

yeah our club is run down and the rats have taken over the pool table but more importantly we are the most exclusive place in the world, only the best can get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

genericnick posted:

It would have been vastly worse since taking a city with military force turns it into rubble.

I mostly mean the whole "bringing people out" part. In general yeah it would've been WAY worse.