Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

That is what makes something like Hades work though. It's well designed enough that basically any combination of Gods and Weapons can create something incredibly powerful so it's nearly impossible to screw yourself. By making sure everything is potentially game breaking they avoid runs doing that.

Well "everything is incredibly powerful" is what I would call "balanced", but that doesn't describe my experience with the game. I definitely had some runs with such absurdly powerful builds that it made the game kind of boring and mindless, and others where my build was so completely failing to come together that I'd just quit rather than keep trying to slog through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Triarii posted:

Well "everything is incredibly powerful" is what I would call "balanced", but that doesn't describe my experience with the game. I definitely had some runs with such absurdly powerful builds that it made the game kind of boring and mindless, and others where my build was so completely failing to come together that I'd just quit rather than keep trying to slog through.

Likewise. There are some combos that make you completely godlike (get it? godlike? cause you're a... ok i'll stop) and others that are totally underwhelming. Honestly, if they added some DLC gods and new adventures, I'd hop back on in two seconds. But while the first 2 levels are always pretty fun, Elysium has me wanting to pull out my own teeth due to the spongy enemies. Just because i can beat them doesn't mean i want to spend 3X the amount of time hit-and-running and striking armored enemies from the back a million times. Fortunately, I played a ton while in Early Access so when they finally dropped the 1.0 I was able to clear out the rest of the story pretty quickly.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Mad Max,i love the fact that i’m blasting round the wastes in my super apocalyptic car,waving around my three barrelled shotgun that sounds like a bomb going off every time i fire it,blowing up wasteland trash and then every once in a while stopping to give stragglers a drink from my water flask like a confused jesus.

Also this game loving rules and i so want a Judge dredd game like this.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm not particularly familiar with Dredd - does he do a lot of hand to hand or is it all just gun stuff

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
There's been a fair few big name franchised budget games that have been way better than you'd expect the past few years. Terminator Resistance is another good budget title that oozes the love the devs had for the source material, and I enjoyed the story as whack rear end timeloop shenanigans own.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Morpheus posted:

I'm not particularly familiar with Dredd - does he do a lot of hand to hand or is it all just gun stuff

Dredd does whatever it takes. He is the law and nothing will stop him.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A dredd game would've been so sick

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Morpheus posted:

He tells Death to gaze into the fist of Dredd

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kitfox88 posted:

There's been a fair few big name franchised budget games that have been way better than you'd expect the past few years. Terminator Resistance is another good budget title that oozes the love the devs had for the source material, and I enjoyed the story as whack rear end timeloop shenanigans own.

Terminator: Resistance is a surprisingly fun and well-made game.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Morpheus posted:

He’s done hand to hand stuff,of course he has his truncheon and in the more action packed stories he’s not averse to using bigger guns.

Basically replace Max with Dredd,keep the blasted wasteland,add motorbikes and a multi-ammo pistol,the rest is good to go.

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Aug 16, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also enable the controller mic so you can give voice commands to the gun

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

haveblue posted:

:o that’s EXACTLY what i was thinking!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

That would kick so much rear end.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
That would be a pretty sick option yes. Silly gimmick that fits perfectly with the setting and lore

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Not to mention barking orders at people

“picking your nose! 3 years!”.

“Your Tie is too colourful! I’m haulin’ you in creep!”.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Not to mention barking orders at people

“picking your nose! 3 years!”.

“Your Tie is too colourful! I’m haulin’ you in creep!”.

Doesn't he lack jurisdiction in the Cursed Earth?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

The Lone Badger posted:

Where does the jurisdiction of a man who proclaims "I am the law" truly end?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Maybe Dredd gets stripped of his authority somehow and exiled to the wasteland, and has to like fight to reclaim his honor? I dunno, just a thought, could be an interesting space to explore

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

“Hey that’s Judge Dredd speeding towards me at 500 miles an hour and there’s literally noone around this cursed earth to keep him in check”.

*gulp*

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

The Lone Badger posted:

In Judge Dredd: Mega-City Zero, Dredd randomly gets teleported to a field, sees some kids attacking someone, arrests them, then asks them where the nearest jail is so he can take them there.

I don't think he cares much.

WirelessPillow posted:

Where does the jurisdiction of a man who proclaims "I am the law" truly end?

I really like the different inflection Urban puts on the phrase.

Sly puts too much emphasis on the I am, making him sound almost egotistical about it. A petty man shouting to quell his ego.

Urban just plainly states the fact that he is the walking embodiment of LAW.

SpaceCommie has a new favorite as of 11:10 on Aug 16, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I have another moment in Witcher 3. At one point you stumble into a mansion whose magic security goes haywire, and one of the traps is a series of monster summons. After the third wave had a werewolf (very strong, constantly regenerate health) I was groaning inwardly thinking “what the hell is next?”

Out pops a cow. They could have just not summoned anything else but they put in a dumb joke, which got a good laugh out of me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I have another moment in Witcher 3. At one point you stumble into a mansion whose magic security goes haywire, and one of the traps is a series of monster summons. After the third wave had a werewolf (very strong, constantly regenerate health) I was groaning inwardly thinking “what the hell is next?”

Out pops a cow. They could have just not summoned anything else but they put in a dumb joke, which got a good laugh out of me.

I see you did not harvest the White Orchard cows for leather, or you wouldn't be laughing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kinda felt like stealing tbh, I didn’t remember seeing any just chilling just in the wild. It’d be pretty hilarious if cows were also high level enemies like bears that could take on a whole mob of nekkers singlehandedly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Final Fantasy 14: The Moogle beast tribe has a daily where you nerve gas moogles with an explosive kupo nut. That is all.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Can’t tell if the dream Judge Dredd game would be the story where the crosses the Cursed Earth and contends with McDonalds and Burger King warriors in the Fast Food Wars, or if it would be better as a Cyberpunk 2077 thing where you explore Mega City One. Either way it’s a great comic with lots of material

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

LawfulWaffle posted:

Can’t tell if the dream Judge Dredd game would be the story where the crosses the Cursed Earth and contends with McDonalds and Burger King warriors in the Fast Food Wars, or if it would be better as a Cyberpunk 2077 thing where you explore Mega City One. Either way it’s a great comic with lots of material

That's just a regular Final Fantasy character

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

That, or a cover page from Transmetropolitan.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

LawfulWaffle posted:

Permadeath metaprogression roguelike where you try to make a run last as long as possible as a citizen in Mega City One trying to not get arrested or killed by a Judge. With each death/arrest, you find out about more things that are illegal and the aim is to go through an entire day without committing a crime.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Young rookie Judge that you can decide on to be by the book or corrupt. Though the problem is that every corrupt action has a chance of drawing the attention of Dredd. He can't be stopped, can't be killed, and will permakill your character the first chance he gets.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

But there's already an OK Judge Dredd game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zil posted:

Young rookie Judge that you can decide on to be by the book or corrupt. Though the problem is that every corrupt action has a chance of drawing the attention of Dredd. He can't be stopped, can't be killed, and will permakill your character the first chance he gets.

Dredd: Isolation

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

But there's already an OK Judge Dredd game.

Judge Dredd vs. Judge Death is also a pretty fun game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMI3x3d7gEo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

I would imagine it would need to be narrative driven. You can't really do an open world game with a character that is incredibly strictly lawful like Dredd. He doesn't do side jobs, doesn't cause mayhem, and busting small time purse snatches would get old fast. I'm thinking a Max Payne like structure would work best.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Robot in Zathura (PS2) is fun to play as. He has little comic-book style sound effect word balloons for a few of his attacks, and if he drops from a large height he does the superhero crouch landing, which sticks one of his claws in the ground so he has to slowly wrench it out before continuing. It's very charming. Also because he has both guns and strong melee attacks it makes him feel so much more powerful than the kids which is appropriate. I've got to the first boss fight.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/fD2Fce9.png[/tmg]

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

sorry quote is not edit,i am a fool.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

sorry quote is not edit,i am :mediocre:

FTFY.

I loved the explosions and crashes in Mad Max, and playing Fashion Souls with the various car parts was icing on the cake.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

The Lone Badger posted:

If I remember, when Judges retire and take the long walk, their last order is to go and bring justice back to the Cursed Earth.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I would imagine it would need to be narrative driven. You can't really do an open world game with a character that is incredibly strictly lawful like Dredd. He doesn't do side jobs, doesn't cause mayhem, and busting small time purse snatches would get old fast. I'm thinking a Max Payne like structure would work best.

The Arkham games are the template for it. Arkham City is an open world with a strong narrative and a highly lawful protagonist taking on criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Judge Dredd doesn’t cause mayhem?

The same Judge Dredd that nuked Future Russia and killed literally billions of people? That one?