Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jelly posted:

Trip report on Diablo 2 Remastered

Pre-cursor: I have played thousands of hours of Diablo 2 and 3

As someone said in an earlier post, this is Diablo 2, for better or worse.

The Good:

Have you found a Zod rune yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Rutibex posted:

Have you found a Zod rune yet

I honestly don't know if that's rationally possible with the limitations to Act II Normal difficulty. I imagine Countess runs would yield the most likelihood but I bet it's close to zero.

(I finished my post which I accidentally hit submit on)

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I've noticed some new sound effects in d2r as well. The Corrupted rogues, for instance.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Also I loving love the art on this game. Really impressive stuff. I hope someone at VV is motivated to use the assets they made to create some skill/mechanical/end game updates like Pod or project D2.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Also I loving love the art on this game. Really impressive stuff. I hope someone at VV is motivated to use the assets they made to create some skill/mechanical/end game updates like Pod or project D2.

It would be exceptionally great if they could add the option for a "Diablo 2 Reimagined" or something like that, that improves the needlessly punishing quality of life features. Put them on separate ladders.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jelly posted:

It would be exceptionally great if they could add the option for a "Diablo 2 Reimagined" or something like that, that improves the needlessly punishing quality of life features. Put them on separate ladders.

Just let me install mods and I'll fix the drop rates myself

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I greatly enjoy* the fact that I can only pick up like 2-3 pieces of gear before I have to make a trip to town.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Jelly posted:

It's not great and really makes me long for an offline mode.

Is there seriously not an offline mode?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Jelly posted:

Duriel was a right pain in the rear end.
Does the game still lag for several seconds loading into Duriel's arena? That's probably the only QoL change you can hope for.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zenithe posted:

Not for the beta, at least.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Incoherence posted:

Does the game still lag for several seconds loading into Duriel's arena? That's probably the only QoL change you can hope for.
I honestly don't recall. This is so programmed into my brain I might not have noticed it either way.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Jelly posted:

I honestly don't know if that's rationally possible with the limitations to Act II Normal difficulty. I imagine Countess runs would yield the most likelihood but I bet it's close to zero.

(I finished my post which I accidentally hit submit on)

Nah, even hell countess can drop something like Lo at the very highest end. You'd need to cube a shitton of runes if you were grinding at normal only (the number of gems would be pretty substantial too I guess).

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Zenithe posted:

i think this is specifically a multiplayer test, the final game is gonna have offline single player

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Jelly posted:

That's my hope for this. Steal the good ideas from the popular mods, and branch it off from classic D2/Lod.

My guess is the vast majority of people who pick up D2R will play for a couple weeks, remember they've already played this game and move on. just seems like a lot of work to create all these assets and then not try to put something new and interesting into the game play.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
You would think people would be cool with them fixing the Next-hit always misses bug that basically makes every melee build that isn’t Zeal horrible, but then again people got really pissed when TBC Classic made it so Alliance could actually roll a Ret Paladin so who knows lol

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It’s D2 alright, but man, the D2 art style makes D3 look like poo poo.

Always did, but the remade graphics clinch it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Raider posted:

It’s D2 alright, but man, the D2 art style makes D3 look like poo poo.

Always did, but the remade graphics clinch it.

They should make a sequel to D2. Call it Diablo 2.5

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rutibex posted:

They should make a sequel to D2. Call it Diablo 2.5

It's called Diablo 4 and looks less than promising so far.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I had the exact same feelings as everyone else on D2R. Absolutely gorgeous and sounds great. I would play the gently caress out of an active and modern game with this aesthetic. However, it is literally D2 in every bar way. The remastered parts just make the jank even more noticeable.

If they don’t allow mods or branch a reimagined mode, this is going to crater after nostalgia. Wow Classic had legs because people hadn’t played that game in years, rolling through the raids was fun, and you could do some big social poo poo. Same with TBC.

I just don’t see the sane pull here. People have played D2 for decades and there are intricate mods that make it better in every way. Wow Private servers were nowhere near at the level of D2 ones (to be fair, D2 is much easier to mod and host).

I really wanted to love this but better the general shittiness of Blizz for years, recent revelations, and the me way over romanticizing D2; I really think I’m out unless they have plans for something more.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

these dudes got me looking up rune words like its 2002 again

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Incoherence posted:

okay, the game doesn't lag upon getting into duriel's room, but duriel still fuckin' slaps

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Lawlicaust posted:

If they don’t allow mods or branch a reimagined mode, this is going to crater after nostalgia.

This is kinda how I feel about it as well. It's a great game, but we've all played it a million times, but what got the most mileage out of it was stuff like Eastern Sun.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

I highly recommend project Diablo 2 to anybody craving an updated d2 experience after playing this. PD2 is very faithful to the original with some qol stuff and tweaks that make it feel a ton better.

It isn't a crazy overhaul like median XL. It does stuff like buff/nerf skills to make more builds viable, give every merc an aura (not just the guys from A2), adds poe style mapping to the end game, and a bunch of item fixes/changes.

E: also the online community is very active. There were something like 2500 people online the night before d2r dropped.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

these dudes got me looking up rune words like its 2002 again

Something else they should have patched in should have been recipes as drops. Relatively easy to find, you'd have a book in your UI somewhere you could open and see all the runewords you've found and stuff. But nah just almost exactly zilch outside the fresh paint

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
D2R looks amazing, and the ambience and music is still as good as it ever was, but I'm getting turned off just because of how dated so many aspects of the game are. Juggling potions constantly isn't fun, fitting like 2 items in your inventory isn't fun, having to press a hotkey and then click to do an ability isn't fun. On controller you can bind abilities to buttons so it's much better to play that way, but inventory management on controller is poo poo. I'm sure there would have been an outcry if they'd modernised some of this stuff, but I don't see the game having much lasting appeal as it is. I preordered for beta access before I saw you could get one from Twitch, but I've refunded it now and will probably give Last Epoch another try now there's been a few patches since I last played.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 16, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mean thats something else, how hard would it have been to make it so instead of 1-4 keys for pots, you could have say health, mana and rejuv buttons and it just chugs whichever regardless of where it is in the belt?

More we talk about it the more strongly I'm considering canceling the preorder

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

I mean thats something else, how hard would it have been to make it so instead of 1-4 keys for pots, you could have say health, mana and rejuv buttons and it just chugs whichever regardless of where it is in the belt?

More we talk about it the more strongly I'm considering canceling the preorder

But what about stamina potions eh?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

If I had an old battle.net account from 2008 is that just gone? It appears I can't recover my password.

I never had the discs, and downloaded the game right from blizzard (if I remember right) and I think I had to put the keys in to do that? My memories all kinds of fuzzy.

Edit: I'm an idiot and did have the discs.

I just checked my PayPal/eBay history.

I bought them installed the game with keys I got off the internet and resold them.

I'm guessing I just had a battle.net 1.0 login and it no longer exists.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 16, 2021

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
If nothing else, I'm kind of glad that so many of the "Diablo III sucks" circlejerkers are going to have to eat poo poo when they realize they've been looking through rose-tinted glasses.

Not that they'll ever actually admit it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Diablo 3 has been a better video game than Diablo 2 for at least 5 years

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Scumbag posted:

If nothing else, I'm kind of glad that so many of the "Diablo III sucks" circlejerkers are going to have to eat poo poo when they realize they've been looking through rose-tinted glasses.

To be fair D3 did suck when it first came out. Its great now though

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Mr Scumbag posted:

"Graphics, visual effects, sound, cinematics, runs smoother, new multiplayer servers, ui and hud improvements, movable automap, cross progression, automatic pickup, shared stash, increased stash, expanded character sheets to show gear bonuses, ability to compare gear...Im curious what other QoL improvements you wanted (other then couch coop of course)"

When I told my friend I decided against getting it after reading reviews and watching people play it.

Edit: also I can't create a battle.net login. So either their servers are effed today, or I'm just crazy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

But... Diablo 3 does suck, and always will

The old accounts you used to use in legacy D2 dont work with the Bnet you login to the client with, its separate I believe

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

codo27 posted:

But... Diablo 3 does suck, and always will

The old accounts you used to use in legacy D2 dont work with the Bnet you login to the client with, its separate I believe

:frogout:

Everybody has their preferences I guess but I don't see how D2 is enjoyable after playing a more modern game. I'm the type that can't go back easily. I can't even play D1 for very long because walking everywhere. :v:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

old games can be fun, warts and all. i don't get people who turn up their noses at a game that isn't "modern", so different strokes i guess.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When you’ve got 15-20 years of graphical updates, mechanical upgrades, and QoL ideas that permeate gaming as a whole, going back to a video game without modern conveniences or graphics or mechanics is a different kind of undertaking than reading an old book or watching an old movie, both of which you consume in roughly exactly the same way people read books or watched movies 50 years ago.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

old games can be fun, warts and all. i don't get people who turn up their noses at a game that isn't "modern", so different strokes i guess.
Absolutely. No hate to anyone who likes it. I think most people wary of it - like myself - have been nostalgia poisoned before though. Every time it happens I'm happier to just let the old games stay as memories.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I had an incredible time playing Path of Diablo a year or two ago, but yeah the QoL updates to that in terms of drop rates, end game, skill diversity, inventory imbiggenmemt were palpable.

Ironically I'm hopeful D2R is successful so they actually do choose to do something neat with it. At the very least it may make D4 better.

Played a lot of Children of Morta this weekend after reading about the D2R beta, but not having access to it. Not a looter, but has fun ARPG mechanics/skill tree. Free on gamepass if anyone wants to try it. Scratched a nice itch for me.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'd probably have fun playing D2 again for like a story playthrough just for the sake of nostalgia but I couldn't imagine playing the end game grind ever again. Maybe even get a trainer and make items with +10skill gems and other ridiculous poo poo so a sorceress spell crashes the game and do that for an hour or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'd probably have fun playing D2 again for like a story playthrough just for the sake of nostalgia but I couldn't imagine playing the end game grind ever again. Maybe even get a trainer and make items with +10skill gems and other ridiculous poo poo so a sorceress spell crashes the game and do that for an hour or two.

Yeah i'm gonna buy this on Switch and play until I beat Hell mode then I'm done. There is no point grinding after that, its more fun to roll a new character.