Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Caidin posted:

Finished 1-4. I feel robbed, there wasn't a murder. There was assault I guess but it was really more of an accident then anything.
i thought this was surprising and cool, not disappointing. and unravelling the mystery felt particularly satisfying too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blaziken386 posted:

God, that part annoyed me so much
"It couldn't have fallen from anywhere else? Well, what about this massive hole underneath where the birdcage was??" "Go gently caress yourself, Mr. Naruhodo. Penalty."

This

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
G2-4: Hey, what's that character from Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright doing on the witness stand?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
2-4 You mean the homeless street child named "Venus" who sells bangs to passersby? I genuinely can't tell if that one's a veiled allusion but she is part of what is by far the most disquietening set of witnesses the series has had.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Spirit of Justice was good, but I think a bit of a reset will be good to get the series back on the ground. The 3DS games were beginning to escalate the stakes in a weird way and I don't know where you go from there.

We still gotta prove God is guilty in a court of law.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

We still gotta prove God is guilty in a court of law.

Phoenix Wright dies and has to practice law in heaven, proving the innocence of supposed sinful souls.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

And then Maya can channel him for case 3.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Waffleman_ posted:

Spirit of Justice was good, but I think a bit of a reset will be good to get the series back on the ground. The 3DS games were beginning to escalate the stakes in a weird way and I don't know where you go from there.

Yeah, while in AA people in power getting knocked down happens quite a bit, the whole essentially spearheading a revolution and toppling a kingdom was kind of weird and over the top for me, and tonewise I found it really jarring.

Yinlock posted:

tbf it's not like [1-5]GAA isn't also guilty of this

I wouldn't mind some more down-to-earth cases though

The threat of having government secrets revealed I feel was kind more in line with the other high stakes AA cases outside of SoJ. Related to that case, also I only just started 2-2, and he did get punished for what he did there.

Also this reminds me that I absolutely do not miss the court gallery chiming in ridiculously often and jeering the defense. That happened too much in SoJ that it was pretty grating.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 17, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

2-4 You mean the homeless street child named "Venus" who sells bangs to passersby? I genuinely can't tell if that one's a veiled allusion but she is part of what is by far the most disquietening set of witnesses the series has had.
i honestly have no idea what you mean here. what was so disquieting?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Waffleman_ posted:

Phoenix Wright dies and has to practice law in heaven, proving the innocence of supposed sinful souls.
i really wish capcom wasn't so litigious about fangames because an Ace Attorney x Touhou crossover feat. Eiki Shiki would own

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

End of 2-3: :dogstare:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
2-1: I see that this time around I'm playing as Susato in her finest Raidou Kuzunoha cosplay :allears:

Araxxor posted:

Also this reminds me that I absolutely do not miss the court gallery chiming in ridiculously often and jeering the defense. That happened too much in SoJ that it was pretty grating.

The gallery in SoJ made that game actively unfun at times. They didn't so much chime in so much as scream that the defense should be killed now! now! now! like a bunch of petulant children throwing a temper tantrum.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Finished up the GAA series today, and I have to say that (major spoilers for the final chapter of GAA 2):

Mael Stronghart's breakdown is probably one of the best in the franchise, with the scales of justice almost falling on him and setting the courtroom ablaze while he screams.

But as for future entries, I think they might tone it back a bit in terms of stakes, but I wouldn't be shocked if they focus more on fleshing out Athena as a main character in it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lotus Aura posted:

The gallery in SoJ made that game actively unfun at times. They didn't so much chime in so much as scream that the defense should be killed now! now! now! like a bunch of petulant children throwing a temper tantrum.

I never found them to be a problem, personally. Yeah they make noise but who cares, I once debated a ghost so hard it died I can take some whining from the peanut gallery

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Between the gallery and Nahyuta, the whole "everyone wants you dead" is also kind of another example of them desperately trying to up the stakes in a way that just feels weird.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

Phoenix already proved Jesus was a murderer in SoJ.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Between the gallery and Nahyuta, the whole "everyone wants you dead" is also kind of another example of them desperately trying to up the stakes in a way that just feels weird.

It worked though, which tbf just makes it weirder

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Spirit of Justice is a weird game in that it absolutely should not have worked as well as it does.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

A well-executed stupid premise beats a poorly-executed good one, I guess.

Like yeah every part of it is dumb as hell but for some reason when playing I am totally invested, it's fuckin sorcery

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Blaziken386 posted:

God, that part annoyed me so much
"It couldn't have fallen from anywhere else? Well, what about this massive hole underneath where the birdcage was??" "Go gently caress yourself, Mr. Naruhodo. Penalty."

I just finished 2-3 and although it's my favorite case so far, that part can get fuuuuuuucked

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah they really escalated things to an absurd degree, and I really wouldn't mind a dialing down. Anymore would be way too much. A big reason for the Khurain setting was that they felt normal courts wouldn't be much of a challenge for Phoenix anymore. Evidently everyone literally wanting the lawyer dead was the next step, and I really don't think I want to see how much else they want to escalate past that point. The gallery and Nahyuta were easily the worst parts of the game for me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like people screaming for my head so I can prove them wrong and idiots

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Araxxor posted:

Yeah they really escalated things to an absurd degree, and I really wouldn't mind a dialing down. Anymore would be way too much. A big reason for the Khurain setting was that they felt normal courts wouldn't be much of a challenge for Phoenix anymore. Evidently everyone literally wanting the lawyer dead was the next step, and I really don't think I want to see how much else they want to escalate past that point. The gallery and Nahyuta were easily the worst parts of the game for me.
I feel like one of the better ways of upping the stakes to give Phoenix a challenge was PLvsAA. Phoenix knows his way around a courtroom, but can he still win when everyone's on a literal witchhunt and things like "basic forensics" aren't a thing?? ...Yes, but he'll sweat a bit while he's doing it.

Lawyers themselves being illegal is a very goofy premise. (though, I haven't actually played SoJ myself, so maybe it works if you just don't think about it)

That said I don't feel like the court setting really needs to be antagonistic, so long as the cases themselves are interesting and have fun mysteries to solve

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I like people screaming for my head so I can prove them wrong and idiots

:yeah:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

I feel like one of the better ways of upping the stakes to give Phoenix a challenge was PLvsAA. Phoenix knows his way around a courtroom, but can he still win when everyone's on a literal witchhunt and things like "basic forensics" aren't a thing?? ...Yes, but he'll sweat a bit while he's doing it.

Lawyers themselves being illegal is a very goofy premise. (though, I haven't actually played SoJ myself, so maybe it works if you just don't think about it)

That said I don't feel like the court setting really needs to be antagonistic, so long as the cases themselves are interesting and have fun mysteries to solve

It is pretty weird, though I think the game did accomplish what it was going for, even if was pretty out of place for me.

Overall I think Spirit of Justice is fine. Not my favorite AA game, but far from my least favorite, and there are some things I really did like about it (Case 2 was really good and really should have been in Apollo Justice.)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Araxxor posted:

It is pretty weird, though I think the game did accomplish what it was going for, even if was pretty out of place for me.

Overall I think Spirit of Justice is fine. Not my favorite AA game, but far from my least favorite, and there are some things I really did like about it (Case 2 was really good and really should have been in Apollo Justice.)

yeah Case 2 features, for the first time ever in AA, video evidence that isn't a giant pain in the rear end

also the villain's evil mode animations rule

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Honestly not sure what people are talking about with it being a goofy premise. It makes total sense in context and you don't need to "not think about it". Khura'in is a great setting and the conflict is gripping.

You should play SoJ it's one of the best in the series.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Having played every main game in the series, GAA (as in both games) is quickly rocketing to the top of my list and I'm only halfway through the 1-5 trial.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Honestly not sure what people are talking about with it being a goofy premise. It makes total sense in context and you don't need to "not think about it". Khura'in is a great setting and the conflict is gripping.

You should play SoJ it's one of the best in the series.

Out of context it can sound weird, but yeah the story establishes why things went that way.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I finally finished the GAA games. Really really fantastic but does anyone feel like the second half is way longer than the first? I'm at roughly 40 hours for both games and I think it's like a 15/25 split.

Also spoilers The jury being 'random' is the only thing that doesn't seem spelled out but I (and we all?) assume that's strongharts influence.

Also yeah They seriously took a gamble on making two games here. The first game is such a major set up for the second so we narrowly avoided being screwed out of a resolution I think.

Is there a good place to get some gifs of those animations? I especially need the sulky Brothers.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Aaaah! After three weeks of NEO TWEWY I'm free! Time to conquer courts!

So I made it through the first case. Was pretty cool; loving all the politics and race issues that the turn to the 19th century bring. The case itself was a bit too long with teh coin in the steak, but i'm glad to get that because the second i saw the second picture i knew there were steak shenanigans afoot.

Really love Ryunosuke and how he's slowly gainign confidence. His first OBJECTION was so satisfying. Kazuma is great!! As I told a friend as I was playing I really like him and how he interacts with Ryunosuke!! It's almost like they're a couple and I enjoy that poo poo!! His Headband is COOL. So I finished the first case and thought I'd leave it there for the night, but said friend told me to play a few minutes into the second case!!!! And I DID. AND I HAD TO GRAB THE loving GAME CASE OFF MY DESK TO MAKE SURE KAZUMA WAS THERE, AND YEAP HE'S RIGHT THERE BASICALLY IN TEH CENTER, SO SURELY THIS DEATH IS A FAKEOUT. NOPE. IT'S NOT. THEN IT DAWNS ON ME THAT RYUNOSUKE HAS A SWORD IN ALL THE OTHER PROMO STUFF INCLUDING THE COVER BECAUSE HTAT'S KAZUMA'S SWORD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH. MY FRIEND WAS IN HYSTERICS AS I KEPT GUSHING ABOUT KAZUMA THROUGHOUT THE DAY. loving SIX YEARS. SIX YEARS THIS GAME HAS EXISTED AND I'M LIKE "why would i ever think the obvious mia fey parallel would die?" GOD. my friend's smug fire emblem character drinking coffee emoji is going to haunt me forever

great game

im gonna watch simpsons clips until i recover from being owned so hard

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 17, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Theory: Super-cool samurai-type who always carries a katana everywhere and has a wind blow out of nowhere so his head-band can flutter in the wind while epic music plays. the spirit and hope of the japanese nation.

practice: died from tripping over a cat after being shoved by a 90 pound 15 year old girl

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Apollo doing what he does in 6-5 is a continuation of his arc in the trilogy, which is finding his own way to effect change within the law. 4-4 is the affirmation, 5-5 is his first foray into finding his own truth, and 6-5 is the ultimate realization of that

Apollo is an excellent character

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Ace Attorney x The Good Place crossover.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay I'm on the last testimony of 2-3 (I think) and I am completely stumped.

I've gotten the coroner to supplment her testimony and I can't seem to find the right evidence to progress. I think it has to be in "the fall was what killed him" mode, but I can't find a way to prove otherwise. Tried the photo, the birdcage, the autopsy report... no loving clue what to do here.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Okay I'm on the last testimony of 2-3 (I think) and I am completely stumped.

I've gotten the coroner to supplment her testimony and I can't seem to find the right evidence to progress. I think it has to be in "the fall was what killed him" mode, but I can't find a way to prove otherwise. Tried the photo, the birdcage, the autopsy report... no loving clue what to do here.

it's in the other mode

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Zerilan posted:

it's in the other mode

Okay that's half of what I was doing wrong, cool. ...Still not quite sure what the heck I'm doing with that. Tried what I thought were the obvious answers.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn I love the Skulkin Brothers. Their animations are all so loving good.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It took me a while too. Hint: If she had really stabbed him the way she says, what would the corpse have looked like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, I think that G2-3 testimony might have been the only place in both games where I didn't understand the contradiction until after I presented it. It does make sense, but it's pretty subtle.