Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Impermanent posted:

rowan kaiser says that you'll probably want to play on a harder difficulty on tightly packed maps if you're a civ vet of any variety

Rowan largely praising a traditional 4x game is pretty surprising. I was expecting another Stellaris situation.

John Lee posted:

I'm fine with victory, but I don't like Civ V and VI's move to having the AI playing the same game you are - mostly because I, and probably a good bit of the actual players who aren't megafans and hang out on the forums - weren't playing that game. I enjoyed doing weird roleplaying and making non-optimal moves, even from the perspective a guy who didn't know what the TRUE optimal moves were, and it really makes the Civ series feel less like a journey through human history when everybody starts getting aggressive in the 1900s because we're getting close to the part where we decide who has Won History. The system in Humankind feels a lot better from this perspective, because a civ could be considered among the greats because of what they did a thousand years ago or more, which is kind of how it works in real life?

:same:

I have like 150 hours in Civ VI and I don't think I've ever made a move in the game with the express purpose of "winning" over just making what I thought was the coolest empire or playing along with an AI. The game was actually quite a bit more interesting when you tried to play with the AI's personalities. I find these games to be pretty bad at being competitive strategy games but very good at just being a cool map sandbox to exist in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Civ 6 does make a lot more sense design-wise if you turn off all win conditions except Domination and Religion.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 17, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
From what I've seen this game is going to be cool for durdling through and making some dumb narrative for myself as I go which is all I play 4x's for so I'm on board.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
So nukes don't mess around in this game. Spoiler here as Marbozir launches his first nukes on stream.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

FrickenMoron posted:

Why did they decide to ditch their original setting to make yet another generic civ clone?

Tbh I’m surprised it’s taken so long to get a civ clone. Master of Orion and master of magic get so many clones so frequently they’re practically their own genres but for whatever reason no ones tried to do civ until now (or at least there’s like 5 year gaps between civ clone attempts)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ccubed posted:

So nukes don't mess around in this game. Spoiler here as Marbozir launches his first nukes on stream.

Ngl I'm glad to see a 4x game actually represent how destructive nukes are IRL

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What's the multiplayer like?

I have had a group playing Civ VI for a while and is this something that might be a suitable novelty for us to try -- simultaneous turns would be a necessity though

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ccubed posted:

WIRELESS TELEGRAPH RESEARCHED

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

victrix posted:

WIRELESS TELEGRAPH RESEARCHED

The first message: 'HOLY poo poo DID YOU SEE THAT NUKE STOP'

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ccubed posted:

Glorious.

I'm ready to create a Church of the Children of Atom. :worship:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

PartyElite seems to like it, which is a good sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zXJmjz9wGM

Have to say, this review did make me pretty interested in the game when before I was indifferent to it. I particularly do like the wars having more of a method and motivation to them, which was always something of a weak point to Civ for me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yeah that was a significantly better overview than quite a few early previews I watched - some of which I swear were garbage clickbait

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1427575223038140429

I hope this applies to the gamepass version too

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oh, that's come forward a couple of hours from the last information I had.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

John Lee posted:

It's not necessarily strategic choices, though, it's optimal choices to win the hardest. I've spent a lot of time lurking in the Civ VI thread and there's a lot of "80% of the options should never be picked because they're less efficient."

Also, this:

Civilizations have desires and values that go beyond "either have 80% of the landmass, leave the planet, or kill everybody," and Civ VI did a great job trying to put that in with the leader-specific personalities, but the fact that it's designed primarily as a wargame is an issue for me.

I dunno how to square this with my experience, because everyone definitely gets mad as the game nears the 'end' for me. One of the updates/patches even said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Added the system from Civ V where aggression increases over time."

Same.

Ive put some hundreds of hours on Civ 6, and thats my experience: I very rarely get attacked late game

For whats is worth, I play on Emperor, huge map with 9 civs (less than the default), so maybe is related somehow

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive put some hundreds of hours on Civ 6, and thats my experience: I very rarely get attacked late game

For this late-game situation I hope the Humankind AI has some awareness of going into a suicide war. I mean, If I have a stockpile of nukes greater than the number of your cities and armies, should you really be attacking me?

Anno
May 10, 2017

The online encyclopedia is live: https://humankind-encyclopedia.games2gether.com/en-US

Nice resource to have so long as it’s kept up to date.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ccubed posted:

I'm pleased to see (from a video about the late game that Amplitude posted recently) they're trying to model MAD by having nukes exchange at the same time. I'm very excited to see how that plays out in games.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Specifically it takes one turn for launched nuclear weapons to arrive and explode, and everyone can see it - so everyone gets time to launch their own weapons in retaliation before they get hit. It's such a clean and uncomplicated solution for nukes in mainstream 4x games that it's almost weird to see it here. Especially next to everything else in this game looking so number-go-up +1 and biggest-number-is-the-game boring Amplitude job. Why don't they make their game like I want dammnit! More consequential decisions less numbers!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Anno posted:

It looks like at least one member of the CivFanatics community got a review code. It doesn’t seem like the kind of thing that’ll get published outside of the forum so you can read it here if you’re interested in a take by someone who’s probably multiple thousands of hours deep into every Civ game.

This was the part I liked most.

I’d like it if victory as a concept went away in these games entirely, but this seems like a fine compromise. I just want to wander through the map, build a cool looking empire and enjoy the numbers going up, which seems to be the aim here.

Same. If this is what it turns out to be I'll be very with what we got here.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
On Gamepass now - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/humankind/9pm7hxj92d6w?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa
Looks like my Steam preload is unlocking itself now.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Nice, wasn't showing up in the client itself yet. It's 27.4gb for anyone wondering.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
How odd. The Steam version is 12 GB.

Anno
May 10, 2017

If you've played in one of the Open Devs and still have the a folder called Humankind in your Documents make sure to delete it or the game seems to crash on start up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

How odd. The Steam version is 12 GB.

That's most likely the compressed amount that you're downloading, then when it uncompresses it's gonna be 27GB.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I can't get it to download for the time being. I'm on a mac, so that probably doesn't help, but it'll download (nothing) and then say it can't find a .exe, which doesn't make sense for the platform.

I never had the beta. I'll give it a bit and then check later this evening.

Anno
May 10, 2017

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I can't get it to download for the time being. I'm on a mac, so that probably doesn't help, but it'll download (nothing) and then say it can't find a .exe, which doesn't make sense for the platform.

I never had the beta. I'll give it a bit and then check later this evening.

The Mac version was delayed I want to say by like a month?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Anno posted:

The Mac version was delayed I want to say by like a month?

Well that explains that. Thanks. Probably for the best, that way I can get some work done.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone else hearing audio "tearing" on the sound effects for your units footsteps?

I'm not sure when I should be attaching territories to cities - it seems to be worth a lot of production, but should I be trying to have one city per territory ideally?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Anno posted:

I have like 150 hours in Civ VI and I don't think I've ever made a move in the game with the express purpose of "winning" over just making what I thought was the coolest empire or playing along with an AI. The game was actually quite a bit more interesting when you tried to play with the AI's personalities. I find these games to be pretty bad at being competitive strategy games but very good at just being a cool map sandbox to exist in.

After you play some grand strategy games like Paradox Development or even later Total Wars those huge 4X games feel too simplistic to work as simulations. I can't help but look at them as competitive boardgames with a strong theme. Endless Space 2 was a fine deep game, but it had no detalization, granularity and breadth that you could compare with Stellaris. On the other hand, unlike Stellaris it had some actual interesting gameplay choice. But those were made moot by the fact that you don't need to understand half of the mechanics to win on max difficulty. I'm afraid Humankind falls in between those genres too: not big and complex and granular enough to be a simulation; and not having a good balance and AI to be an interesting boardgame.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gort posted:

Anyone else hearing audio "tearing" on the sound effects for your units footsteps?

I'm not sure when I should be attaching territories to cities - it seems to be worth a lot of production, but should I be trying to have one city per territory ideally?

In the opendevs it usually seemed best to me to attach territories to cities instead of having new cities. Might be that with the rebalancing the choice isn't as clear cut now. I believe there are also soft caps to how many cities you can have and how many territories you can attach to each city

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Gort posted:

Advice from the beta, which may have changed:

There's a cap on cities, where you pay a bunch of influence extra for going over the cap. That's dealable later when influence is easy, but during the early game influence is hard so you probably want to keep to your limit.

Eventually, you can disconnect territories from cities back into outputs, and then build new cities in them - they lose their access to anything built in the original city, but keep any hexes they developed.

I generally found two territories per city felt right - more than that was too high an influence cost for tool little value, and one territory and the city just fell behind.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Prism posted:

The first message: 'HOLY poo poo DID YOU SEE THAT NUKE STOP'

OH gently caress, MR WATSON

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
not a fan of one of the first things i see, being a broken button to buy dlc if i want a certain personality trait

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Looking forward to engaging in nuclear brinksmanship in all my multiplayer games

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

skeleton warrior posted:

Advice from the beta, which may have changed:

There's a cap on cities, where you pay a bunch of influence extra for going over the cap. That's dealable later when influence is easy, but during the early game influence is hard so you probably want to keep to your limit.

Eventually, you can disconnect territories from cities back into outputs, and then build new cities in them - they lose their access to anything built in the original city, but keep any hexes they developed.

I generally found two territories per city felt right - more than that was too high an influence cost for tool little value, and one territory and the city just fell behind.

Just have one giant city per continent, imo. Not because this is efficient but because it's funny.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Playing now. Is there a way to end turn without advancing to a new era immediately? I'm in the Neolithic with 11/10 science and 4/5 population, would like to get that extra bit of population before advancing if possible.

Edit: I was just confused, the event it asked me about was not the move to a new era.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 17, 2021

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
They decided to leave their best piece of advertising for the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGi00HqpmS0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Four hour trip report: I think it’s really good. Once I got past the folder from the betas crashing my game I’ve had no performance issues and only a couple superficial UI bugs. More importantly I’ve actually been enjoying diplomacy and combat in a 4X game which seems really weird?

I think Amplitude is really on to something cool here. And it’s already like 3.5 times their previous high in terms of concurrent players so it seems to be selling really well too, even before taking into account the day 1 deal from Google and Microsoft.