Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think the one thing everyone (even the crazies and the hitlers) agrees on is that the "Great" pyramid is really interesting. Like, it's a man-made* structure that's been around for long enough that it was ancient even in ancient times, and we still don't know everything there is to know about it.

*) Here the crazies and the hitlers may disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hammy posted:

building a pyramid is gonna draw resources and skills from across the entire social hierarchy so trying to figure out what class of egyptians were the true builders doesn't make a lot of sense. like the farmers that fed the builders and made the beer weren't getting paid poo poo. The dudes making mud bricks for the support structures probably don't get paid much either. the quarriers and stone movers probably got a bit more and on up the chain until you get to the architect who is top nobility.

If the architect was top nobility there’d have been a high chance he was some horrible failson so you’d expect some disastrous pyramid projects.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Orange Devil posted:

If the architect was top nobility there’d have been a high chance he was some horrible failson so you’d expect some disastrous pyramid projects.

Theyr meant to be cubes

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Until Linda Moulton Howe rises again from the dead, we will never truly know how the pyramids were built.

At some point last year I definitely saw news of her death. Then the new season of Ancient Aliens premiered and she's still somehow alive. Could've sworn covid got her last summer.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

PostNouveau posted:

Just get a bunch of people to push the stones up ramps, I dunno what's so mysterious there

This old fat guy built a stone henge by himself, I'm sure the Egyptians could figure it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P4HwmmhykI

this is really neat but there’s no evidence of paved roads or platforms at Stonehenge afaik. I’d like to see if you could replicate it with wooden platforms

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Orange Devil posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bent_Pyramid

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

this is really neat but there’s no evidence of paved roads or platforms at Stonehenge afaik. I’d like to see if you could replicate it with wooden platforms

also stonehenge has those stones across the tops of two other stones which wouldn't be easy with that jack system

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Stonehenge is a work of sasquatch. :colbert:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

indigi posted:

There is evidence of a multiple henge system of monuments. Woodhenge was discovered in 1929. Other circles and other kinds of roads and paths between them and the river and burial mounds have been found as well.

They did some experiments and were able to use teams of people to manipulate blocks like that with logs in various ways, seems pretty doable.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Aziz! Light!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
How come no one who was an English lord or Egyptian nobility in a past life is able to come forward and just tell us how it was done, huh??

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I learned everything I need to know about the pyramids by playing Children of the Nile: Enhanced Edition. They didn't pay government workers with money, they used bread. Bread!

Breaditalism.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you need deracinated peeps wanderin around without records to need to spend the vast amounts of gold and poo poo to need a monetary system denominated in coins and poo poo. nah, the god king takes care of everyone

they took the gold saved from that and put it on poo poo

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

gently caress yeah :gdj:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not really Davies' style, but I am getting tired of waiting for series 12 to start.

Your time starts.... Now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think the one thing everyone (even the crazies and the hitlers) agrees on is that the "Great" pyramid is really interesting. Like, it's a man-made* structure that's been around for long enough that it was ancient even in ancient times, and we still don't know everything there is to know about it.

*) Here the crazies and the hitlers may disagree

Absolutely, it's so impressive and mysterious. It's very inspiring

I actually think people do human beings a disservice when they just give the credit to aliens. Humans can do loving amazing poo poo!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

All the monuments ever are just furniture made by that generations B. S. Johnson.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

According to legend, stonehenge was built in Ireland, but Merlin told the British to steal it from them.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Funny thing: the smaller bluestone were originally from a henge in Wales, and were moved to Salisbury and re-erected in pretty much the exact same orientation.

Then like 500 years later the big sandstone blocks were made and the whole henge was rearranged to focus on them.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Re-erected? I barely know Ed!

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Weatherman posted:

How come no one who was an English lord or Egyptian nobility in a past life is able to come forward and just tell us how it was done, huh??

they have, havent you watched "ancient aliens"?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/crim_tweetss/status/1427272419392229380?s=19

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

it's really old

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I hope Red Lobster found out about it somehow because I'm sure they love their seafood restaurant being advertised in front of videos on how seafood can kill you if you don't act quickly.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

FFT posted:

it's really old

wow do u want me to delete my post

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

500 good dogs posted:

Yes

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Monthly Vancouver real estate update. Just some student selling his house for $40 million, nothing to see here

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1427359371218997255?s=19

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Monthly Vancouver real estate update. Just some student selling his house for $40 million, nothing to see here

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1427359371218997255?s=19

At least that's a proper rich fucker house and not like, a 2 bedroom on a quarter acre or whatever.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

500 good dogs posted:

ur account too plz tia

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

I actually think people do human beings a disservice when they just give the credit to aliens. Humans can do loving amazing poo poo!

Sounds like you're giving the aliens a disservice.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The Bloop posted:

That's exactly why they do it. Saying that aliens did everything impressive assuages their feelings of inadequacy from knowing they haven't done and can't do poo poo.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1427375128757821440

3 grand to look wet lol

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Shame Boy posted:

At least that's a proper rich fucker house and not like, a 2 bedroom on a quarter acre or whatever.

Yeah it's arguably the nicest area. My dad bought his first house in Point Grey for $25,000 in the 70s.

Good to see students can still afford to live there on their uber eats salary or whatever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah it's arguably the nicest area. My dad bought his first house in Point Grey for $25,000 in the 70s.

Good to see students can still afford to live there on their uber eats salary or whatever.

Right, that Chen guy just has a lot of hustle! Does Uber Eats on nights, picks up handyman jobs on the weekends, mows lawns over the summers.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fame Douglas posted:

We still don't know how the pyramids were built, that's the origin of "ancient aliens" theories and why they're less popular about other antique societies, not just Rome. No need to jump to racism as the universal explanation for everything.

Internal ramp 10 feet within the outer walls.

Failed Imagineer posted:

It was slaves OP

Nah, we have the attendance logs. It was a massive public works project to keep the citizenry employed during the non-farming seasons.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Internal ramp 10 feet within the outer walls.

Nah, we have the attendance logs. It was a massive public works project to keep the citizenry employed during the non-farming seasons.

On the one hand sure they were paid and all, on the other hand you can't exactly say no when the god-emperor orders you to construct his death castle.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

HootTheOwl posted:

Glad to see my policy of "if there's too many idlers add another few layers of walls" works IRL as well as dwarf fortress

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

SniperWoreConverse posted:

There is evidence of a multiple henge system of monuments. Woodhenge was discovered in 1929. Other circles and other kinds of roads and paths between them and the river and burial mounds have been found as well.

They did some experiments and were able to use teams of people to manipulate blocks like that with logs in various ways, seems pretty doable.

Last year, or this year, there was some research that Stonehenge was actually looted from somewhere in Ireland. Like, taken and moved. Putting rocks on top of other rocks seems easy enough in comparison.

Although the research also acknowledged that there was previous research concluding that, and also that folk tales said that forever so none of it was news to the researchers, or to Irish people I guess.

Edit: Oops, beaten on the legend part. But yeah there was also actual research concluding that based on some sort of analysis of the rocks. I believe they found exactly matching rocks in a site; bits the English didn't bother to take.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, it's actually a clever ploy to keep everyone busy while the country is flooded. Who knows what crazy things the workers/farmers would get up to otherwise? They might even think about the system of governance and conclude that they did the work while the self proclaimed god king did the public masturbation. And that could threaten stability.

Also the concept of freedom and slavery was a lot less clear in that time. It's not like being an Egyptian "citizen" gave you freedoms and human rights.