Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You can't have a game set in Vegas and then remove the Luck stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You can't have a game set in Vegas and then remove the Luck stat.

First good point made in this entire thread.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You can if you rig the game from the start.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Coolness Averted posted:

Nine point alignment chart are iconic memes and to keep the grognards happy -that's literally the stated reasons by big brained Mike Mearls.
When you are making a D&D game there are honestly worse reasons to do this. Removing the mechanical heft is very important, but just sticking in a flavor thing just because everyone knows it is hardly a crime.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nine-point alignment on the character sheet doesn't bother me very much. I don't even mind using it to classify other planes of reality and stuff! When it starts to bother me is when you have these ridiculous situations like how a demon can be Creature Type: Outsider (Evil) but their alignment can actually change to something else. Or worse, the impact of Detect Alignment on a setting. Don't make good and evil into damage types and weird pseudo-particles.

Coolness Averted posted:

I mean I'm sure a fan might have found a better use for it, but it's still worth stating it was only included for the dumbest possible reason by the actual devs. Mearls literally came out and said during next that 9 point alignment had to come back and have some mechanical interaction because everyone knew & loved alignment chart memes.
He also said "No warlords because martial healing isn't appropriate for a Harry Potter based D&D game." Brainworms design.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 17, 2021

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

He also said "No warlords because martial healing isn't appropriate for a Harry Potter based D&D game." Brainworms design.

did he forget about the second wind feature..?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He was possibly never aware of it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
you cant shout arms back on

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

90s Cringe Rock posted:

you cant shout arms back on

of course, that game didn't have rules for arms coming off in the first place, so they weren't needed

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
you CAN bed rest arms back on. you can NOT yell arms back on. its basic verisimilitude.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
wait gently caress I mean ADVANCED verisimilitude 3.5

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Reading the Mage2E core book is making me remember how bad all of the extremely offputting line art from the first edition book was. Was there ever a story behind that or anything? I kinda got that the three main gamelines were trying to each have very distinctive styles but Mage's style ended up as "a terrifying coloring book you hallucinate before you die of a 105* fever".

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

1) If alignment is vestigial, why should it be kept around?

I said almost vestigial. It has a few purposes. First there's the meme value. Second there's grognard appeal meaning they weren't going to get rid of it. Third some obvious, crude characterisation. Fourth there's a handful of effects that interact with alignment; the Paladin's auto-detect-evil is annoying and silly, but major magical artifacts like the Book of Vile Darkness or a Talisman of Pure Good? Sure. (The Great Wheel? No thanks - but the 5e Realms cosmology owes more to 4e than 2e anyway; it's basically the World Axis in the middle with the Wheel being the most distant parts and replacing the Astral Sea).

Is nine point alignment something I'd create from scratch? No. But it's been beaten back into its corner and once put in its place is far more useful and comprehensible than e.g. Werewolf the Apocalypse's Galiard/Ragabash/Philodox/Arhoun/Theurge (I think that's the set) that are basically nonsense words. With almost no mechanics except when things get weird and only two easily understood words it has very little overhead, especially when in a post-Tasha's world it's vanished from monster statblocks.

quote:

2) I can kind of guess that "accessible" here means something like, "easy to fit inside a given mental framework". Is that what you were going for? Like the name/description of the class make you think of some kind of cultural touchstone, e.g. "fighter" and Conan or "paladin" and Roland? I vehemently disagree if that's the case but we'd at least be using the same term to mean the same thing.

Pretty much - but Conan and Roland are both pretty obscure. If I were looking for modern mythology I wouldn't be looking at stories published almost 90 years ago let alone about 900 years ago. Instead I'd be looking at things from this century. Our strongest cultural touchstones are things that have made it to pop culture, starting with the MCU and video game tropes. And as I spent quite a lot of words demonstrating video game tropes are frequently to the point of incestuously derived from D&D. It's 'Fighter' and WoW Fighter and Cloud Strife and Captain America and possibly Gimli these days. And like it or not fighter works because WoW fighter and because FFXIV Warrior and because Dragon Age Warrior. Of course those classes are all traceable back to the D&D fighter (with the original Final Fantasy Warrior being called the Fighter in the NES version)

quote:

3) I have no idea what "strongly drawn" would mean on any level. Could you elaborate?

One of the things character classes do is provide much of the high concept for a given character fast and easily. You can tell quite a lot about a character from just the class names of the 11+1 5e classes with the biggest questions being "how are sorcerers and wizards different?" and "why isn't barbarian a subclass of fighter"*, but those take only seconds to explain and the mechanics back up the distinctiveness. You never have to ask the question "Wtf is an ardent?" or "How is an avenger different from a paladin?" (I'm picking on 4e because it's a much harder target than 3.X or 2e here). The individual classes are in this sense strongly drawn in that they communicate what a character does and are distinct from each other.

The subclasses are almost as strongly drawn; it's relatively obvious how the mastermind rogue should differ from the swashbuckler rogue, the thief rogue, or the soulknife rogue (even if the soulknife needs a touch of explaining and is a callback to one of the worst classes ever).

* The 3.0 barbarian was IMO a mistake and one of the many things dragging 3.0 fighters down; there was no reason at all it shouldn't have been feats for the fighter. By contrast, the 5e barbarian, after passing through the hands of 4e, allows for supernatural and mostly primal rages and opens the game up to things like the Path of the Storm Herald that would make for an awkward fighter.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Alignment is still around because people like to categorize things, especially using grid based systems. It's like astrology, or Harry Potter houses, or online personality quizzes. It's fun to put things into simple, evocative boxes, even if nobody agrees on what exactly those boxes mean.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i like alignment because its fun and i dont have to take it seriously but if i did have to take it seriously i would not like it

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

mellonbread posted:

It's fun to put things into simple, evocative boxes, even if nobody agrees on what exactly those boxes mean.
I'm very angry at how thoroughly this encapsulates humanity.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The 5-point alignment system is straight up better than the 9-point one at the things people claim justify its existence except for appealing to grogs, a demographic that should instead be told to gently caress off.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 17, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

neonchameleon posted:

But it's been beaten back into its corner and once put in its place is far more useful and comprehensible than e.g. Werewolf the Apocalypse's Galiard/Ragabash/Philodox/Arhoun/Theurge (I think that's the set) that are basically nonsense words. With almost no mechanics except when things get weird and only two easily understood words it has very little overhead, especially when in a post-Tasha's world it's vanished from monster statblocks.

Personally I think "there's these astrological signs that determine what gifts the moon will give you and society's expectations of you" is way cooler than the d&d alignment system, and not really comparable, but Werewolf was also the first RPG I really liked after bouncing off of D&D really hard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The original gameplay value of alignment was "Will these creatures attack me on sight? Can I recruit them maybe?"

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I think the one thing we can all agree on about alignment is that the attempts by other game designers to ape the 9-axis alignment grid in the early 90s were stupid and insane. I'm looking at you, Rifts and World of Synnibarr...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

KingKalamari posted:

I think the one thing we can all agree on about alignment is that the attempts by other game designers to ape the 9-axis alignment grid in the early 90s were stupid and insane. I'm looking at you, Rifts and World of Synnibarr...
With the exception of the Freebase LARP 3x3 alignment system, of course.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

The 5-point alignment system is straight up better than the 9-point one at the things people claim justify its existence except for appealing to grogs, a demographic that should instead be told to gently caress off.
I don't see how preferences about meaningless historical game flavor and stupid internet 9-box memes deserve a loving-off, but you do you, I guess.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I'm always fascinated when people on this site use the term "grogs". Of all the RPG boards I've ever posted on, this is the only one that still regularly fights edition wars.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

make the alignment chart even better by adding a third axis for polite/rude to turn it into a cube

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

They should just replace the alignment chart with the political compass, which is effectively the same thing rotated and flipped.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I've seen lots of people make political compasses for their RPG worlds. The best ones slice off the default axes and replace them with something more appropriate to their settings.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mellonbread posted:

I'm always fascinated when people on this site use the term "grogs". Of all the RPG boards I've ever posted on, this is the only one that still regularly fights edition wars.
I don't think most OSR games nowadays are even bothering with alignment - particularly of the two-axis tic-tac-toe kind. So it's an especially weird complaint, imo.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mellonbread posted:

When we say "D&D 5E is terrible" the main problem isn't the "5E" part.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

pog boyfriend posted:

make the alignment chart even better by adding a third axis for polite/rude to turn it into a cube

I like this idea, because if I can come up with a couple more axes I can generate a five-dimensional alignment... object and I'm sure that's useful for something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

potatocubed posted:

I like this idea, because if I can come up with a couple more axes I can generate a five-dimensional alignment... object and I'm sure that's useful for something.
potatopenteracted

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mellonbread posted:

At least when I use it I don’t mean edition slap fight stuff but am specifically mocking toxic nostalgia. For me it’s the difference between just preferring an older game or whatever and preferring something just because it’s old. And especially people who call changes a “slap in the face” or whatever.

No idea if that’s truly how everyone here means it, but enough people understand me when I use it that it can’t be some unheard and novel definition.

(neonchameleon, totally gonna respond, just waiting to get to a real keyboard later.)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

pog boyfriend posted:

ALIGN CUBE
4 simultaneous alignments
Detected in the same 1st level
CLERIC spell
The educated stupid should
acknowledge
the natural modron of+1 x +1 = +1and

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

BrainParasite posted:

They should just replace the alignment chart with the political compass, which is effectively the same thing rotated and flipped.

I say replace the "Lawful-Neutral-Chaotic" vs "Good-Neutral-Evil" grid with the "Edgy-Depress-Dumbass" vs "Bitch-Thot-Bastard" meme chart thing!

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

KingKalamari posted:

I say replace the "Lawful-Neutral-Chaotic" vs "Good-Neutral-Evil" grid with the "Edgy-Depress-Dumbass" vs "Bitch-Thot-Bastard" meme chart thing!

I originally wanted to go with the Angry, Sad, Horny, Hungry, Stressed diagram. No matter how realistic, it's a chore to keep track of.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

potatocubed posted:

literally just add the meyers briggs personality thing in directly and you have a 7 dimensional alignment

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 21, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

dwarf74 posted:

I don't think most OSR games nowadays are even bothering with alignment - particularly of the two-axis tic-tac-toe kind. So it's an especially weird complaint, imo.

Yeah if it comes up at all in any major way it's pretty much only of the Law/Order vs Chaos variety(with Neutral/Balance sometimes as a third force) because that version is much easier to work with

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

dwarf74 posted:

I don't think you can use OSR and grogs interchangeably.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

pog boyfriend posted:

literally just add the meyers briggs personality thing in directly and you have a 7 dimensional alignment

You joke, but the RPG Reich Star used Meyers-Briggs as a major part of character creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think you can use OSR and grogs interchangeably.
You absolutely cannot, I agree. But if it was primarily grogs driving it, you'd nevertheless expect to see more of it in the groggier OSR games. It's not even in poo poo like LotFP, is it? I only remember the 9-square grid in OSRIC, which is explicitly an AD&D clone.