Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1427463598092206081

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

after the invasion the us poured a ton of money into infrastructure projects. a big part of that was grafted off by corrupt officials and sweetheart deals to american contractors, but enough money was pushed through to build or improve significant amounts of infrastructure. it turns out this didn't solve any of the underlying problems just as with previous guerilla wars were the occupier figures infrastructure investments will equal popular support

So not only did tons of US contractor money get siphoned off by corrupt officials and even more corrupt American CEOs, it was also common practice to pay off local warlords, including the Taliban, for protection. The US also loved to dump giant stacks of money at the feet of whoever claimed to be a local leader with little to no accountability, and a chunk of that money also ended up in Taliban hands. And given the lack of background checks and frequency of desertion from the ANA, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a significant number of Taliban went through basic military training on the US's dime.

So much like the US funded and trained fanatic extremists to battle the Soviets, the US most likely funded and trained the same fanatic extremists to battle the US. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Flayer posted:

Option 1: Watch your enemy retreat to their country 10,000 miles away while you take total control of your own country
Option 2: Sacrifice 10,000+ soldiers immediately to kill some Americans and then have your force wiped out over the next couple of years

TalibanHoveringOver2RedButtons.meme

If the US could enact option 2, wiping out the Taliban over the next couple of years, why did they elect not to do so? Seems like a bit of a military oversight. Should have just sent in the brave boys of the 182 to gun down all the Taliban twenty years ago and saved us the trouble.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nix Panicus posted:

So not only did tons of US contractor money get siphoned off by corrupt officials and even more corrupt American CEOs, it was also common practice to pay off local warlords, including the Taliban, for protection. The US also loved to dump giant stacks of money at the feet of whoever claimed to be a local leader with little to no accountability, and a chunk of that money also ended up in Taliban hands. And given the lack of background checks and frequency of desertion from the ANA, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a significant number of Taliban went through basic military training on the US's dime.

So much like the US funded and trained fanatic extremists to battle the Soviets, the US most likely funded and trained the same fanatic extremists to battle the US. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

If the US could enact option 2, wiping out the Taliban over the next couple of years, why did they elect not to do so? Seems like a bit of a military oversight. Should have just sent in the brave boys of the 182 to gun down all the Taliban twenty years ago and saved us the trouble.

Looking pretty smart to pay the Taliban off so they would let us retreat even when we completely bungle the process.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Carth Dookie posted:

Just some pie in the sky wishing on my part here but:

Kind of hoping that 20 years of occupation was long enough that some of the old Taliban hardliners died/aged out and the new wave is a little more progressive (relatively speaking). Things are somewhat different now in that in 2001 you didn't have everyone with cameras built into their phones live streaming things as they happened directly onto the net. Maybe the occupation was so long that we have an actual generational change in the Taliban and also the Afghan people so that things don't immediately go back to how they were pre 9/11 but somehow worse.

The Taliban garnered the support they enjoy right now by turning into a competent government alternative to the US puppet administration.

https://cdn.odi.org/media/documents/12269.pdf

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

The Taliban garnered the support they enjoy right now by turning into a competent government alternative to the US puppet administration.

https://cdn.odi.org/media/documents/12269.pdf
This is a fascinating read. The Taliban has literally been stealing land records and court records so they can administer justice with a fuller view of the facts.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Normalcy returns to the Islamic Emirate

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1427505318804660226?s=21

https://twitter.com/bsarwary/status/1427505626847096840?s=21

https://twitter.com/MiraqaPopal/status/1427497536219123712

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 17, 2021

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vasukhani posted:

Normalcy returns to the Islamic Emirate

Sounds very good, but we'll have to see if they actually honour it over time.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

TheRat posted:

Sounds very good, but we'll have to see if they actually honour it over time.

Yeah, I genuinely hope the taliban dont go back on the conciliatory moves they’ve been making.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah, I genuinely hope the taliban dont go back on the conciliatory moves they’ve been making.

They've pretty much entirely come out of the taliban international pr office, meaning they're about as trustworthy as the public statements from any other government.

I think it's likely that they are earnestly offering amnesty for bit players just as a practical thing, but I would be exceedingly surprised if there aren't going to be massive repercussions for anyone who was in the ana sof or the anp. Like if there's one thing the taliban have never remotely been known for being it is forgiving.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They've pretty much entirely come out of the taliban international pr office, meaning they're about as trustworthy as the public statements from any other government.

I think it's likely that they are earnestly offering amnesty for bit players just as a practical thing, but I would be exceedingly surprised if there aren't going to be massive repercussions for anyone who was in the ana sof or the anp. Like if there's one thing the taliban have never remotely been known for being it is forgiving.

Be prepared for very long arguments and pinhead dancing over whether the Taliban are engaging in specific acts of retribution, or whether they are establishing their generically oppressive rule.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Taliban just put out a statement urging women to join their government:-

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/17/evacuation-flights-resume-as-biden-defends-afghanistan-pullout

quote:

The Taliban urged women to join its government as Enamullah Samangani, a member of the Taliban’s cultural commission, made the first comments on governance from a federal level across the country after their blitz across the country.

“The Islamic Emirate doesn’t want women to be victims” Samangani said, using the militants’ term for Afghanistan. “They should be in government structure according to Shariah law.”

He added: “The structure of government is not fully clear, but based on experience, there should be a fully Islamic leadership and all sides should join.”

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Can't say I'd feel upset over the Taliban quietly disappearing members of the alphabet-trained death squads the puppet admin had running around warcrimeing villages.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
on an emotional level, sure

in practice though, solving death squads with death squads really does not work well.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That's gotta be bait.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Taliban is going to have its first female President just to spite Hillary

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Carth Dookie posted:

That's gotta be bait.

Why? Plenty of repressive Islamist countries have female government officials. And the Taliban aren’t even the most misogynistic group in Afghanistan, let alone the Middle East overall.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

on an emotional level, sure

in practice though, solving death squads with death squads really does not work well.

yeah it does

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Taliban Asking local traders to continue work and not be afraid to travel abroad and invite foreign investment into the country lol

https://twitter.com/natsecjeff/status/1427590741589741586?s=21

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nix Panicus posted:

That's what we did though? But the thing is you can't just slaughter the Taliban out of existence. We pushed them out of power and into remote camps or underground insurgencies within a year. That accomplished little to nothing, but that's not what the Taliban in 2021 wants to have happen all over again. They are literally in the presidential palace right now, they last thing they want is for it to get leveled. Which is why they are not zerg rushing the Americans at the airport in some insane attempt at reigniting an ended war.

Edit: Apparently the Taliban has issued a general amnesty to govt workers. Its going to be extremely funny if we spent 20 years and trillions of dollars for what amounts to Saudi Arabia 2 in terms to how lovely it treats its citizens.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 17, 2021

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Be prepared for very long arguments and pinhead dancing over whether the Taliban are engaging in specific acts of retribution, or whether they are establishing their generically oppressive rule.

Well, the Taliban did acquire the biometrics database left behind by the US puppet government, so they certainly have the means to enact very specific acts of retribution if they cared. Yet another way the incompetence of the American withdrawal has betrayed their collaborators.

https://www.reuters.com/article/afghanistan-tech-conflict/afghans-scramble-to-delete-digital-history-evade-biometrics-idUSL8N2PO1FH

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That's what we did though? But the thing is you can't just slaughter the Taliban out of existence. We pushed them out of power and into remote camps or underground insurgencies within a year. That accomplished little to nothing, but that's not what the Taliban in 2021 wants to have happen all over again. They are literally in the presidential palace right now, they last thing they want is for it to get leveled. Which is why they are not zerg rushing the Americans at the airport in some insane attempt at reigniting an ended war.

Maybe its because the Taliban arent blood thirsty monsters only held in check by the threat of force, and they know the Americans have no hope of doing anything with their guns on the ground and it was incredibly good PR to contrast the calm city against the horror of the airfields to highlight the general incompetency of the Americans

Does this look like somebody in charge to you? Its some idiot soldier screaming at a civilian because they know they have no control over the situation except the ability to mow down civilians. This is what the US showed the world.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Well, the Taliban did acquire the biometrics database left behind by the US puppet government, so they certainly have the means to enact very specific acts of retribution if they cared. Yet another way the incompetence of the American withdrawal has betrayed their collaborators.

https://www.reuters.com/article/afghanistan-tech-conflict/afghans-scramble-to-delete-digital-history-evade-biometrics-idUSL8N2PO1FH

Maybe its because the Taliban arent blood thirsty monsters only held in check by the threat of force, and they know the Americans have no hope of doing anything with their guns on the ground and it was incredibly good PR to contrast the calm city against the horror of the airfields to highlight the general incompetency of the Americans

Does this look like somebody in charge to you? Its some idiot soldier screaming at a civilian because they know they have no control over the situation except the ability to mow down civilians. This is what the US showed the world.

I'm not disagreeing with you. It was the discussion about the Taliban rushing the airport to surround and destroy to Americans there.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A bloodbath at the airport, no matter how it would go, is something literally no group wants, even the average US warhawk seems to want to turn their nationkilling gaze towards another country. Nobody would 'win'.

The current status quo, of US soldiers shooting terrified civilians trying to board a plane while taliban sit across the street going "hey, whats up, take your time", is far more damaging to the US's image than any dead soldier could cause, and they have more than enough modern equipment without needing to rush some jarheads down.

On the US side, there is no appetite at all among US civilians for randomly kickstarting a new Afghanistan incursion, it would make Biden's statements more embarassing than they already are, and after twenty years of failure absolutely nobody is genuinely under the delusion that the country is winnable (currently. Give it a few years, get that Vietnam nostalgia going).

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Why would the Taliban care about how America looks at this point in time? I don't understand the tactical or strategic benefit that they might gain (by making the US look even worse) that outweighs the billion other higher priority issues that come from taking over an entire country.. or is it just that everyone posting here is American? Apologies if that's a dumb question, I'm just not following the thought process people are attributing to the Taliban here

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

boofhead posted:

Why would the Taliban care about how America looks? I don't understand the tactical or strategic benefit that they might gain (by making the US look even worse) that outweighs the billion other higher priority issues that come from taking over an entire country.. or is it just that everyone posting here is American? Apologies if that's a dumb question, I'm just not following the thought process people are attributing to the Taliban here

I mean, you dont need to think too hard on why a victorious force would be into making their former occupiers look terrible at no cost beyond "dont shoot at the airport". It's not exactly framing the US for an elaborate false flag attack.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

boofhead posted:

Why would the Taliban care about how America looks at this point in time? I don't understand the tactical or strategic benefit that they might gain (by making the US look even worse) that outweighs the billion other higher priority issues that come from taking over an entire country.. or is it just that everyone posting here is American? Apologies if that's a dumb question, I'm just not following the thought process people are attributing to the Taliban here

What people are trying to talk about here (as far as I can see) is how the Taliban care about the possibility of America coming back with more troops and bombs and guns. The Taliban would have to retreat again. As bad as the US are at actual governance and cultivating client states, they are pretty good at killing people.

They don't care about America looking "good." They just want America out and less willing to come back. Don't give the US an excuse to stay and get vengeance.

They also want the US less capable of interfering with their hold on Afghanistan in the future through alliances with internal enemies, so the fiasco about the withdrawal from Kabul is helpful for them too because potential enemies will be wary of trusting the US when the US says it will come to their aid. (Honestly, I don't know why anyone has trusted the US or any other western nation since the 70s, but it's supposedly still a thing.)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Edit: Apparently the Taliban has issued a general amnesty to govt workers. Its going to be extremely funny if we spent 20 years and trillions of dollars for what amounts to Saudi Arabia 2 in terms to how lovely it treats its citizens.

TBH getting Saudi Arabia 2 would be a huge improvement in Afghanistan compared to 1991-2001. Now getting Yemen 2, that would be the really lovely outcome.

I don't see why people are still talking about the Taliban attacking the airport at this point. The Taliban have been in full control of Kabul for like 48 hours by now and they haven't bothered the airport, and they have made not even the slightest indication they will bother the airport in the near future. Their intents and actions in that direction, at least for the next few days, seem pretty clear. Now if the Americans took like a month to get out of Kabul International maybe at some point they would get pissed and start doing something, but it seems they're in no rush at all.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 17, 2021

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Eric Cantonese posted:

What people are trying to talk about here (as far as I can see) is how the Taliban care about the possibility of America coming back with more troops and bombs and guns. The Taliban would have to retreat again. As bad as the US are at actual governance and cultivating client states, they are pretty good at killing people.

They don't care about America looking "good." They just want America out and less willing to come back. Don't give the US an excuse to stay and get vengeance.

They also want the US less capable of interfering with their hold on Afghanistan in the future through alliances with internal enemies, so the fiasco about the withdrawal from Kabul is helpful for them too because potential enemies will be wary of trusting the US when the US says it will come to their aid. (Honestly, I don't know why anyone has trusted the US or any other western nation since the 70s, but it's supposedly still a thing.)

That's what I mean. They just want the Americans out, and the Americans are doing their best to accommodate that, so what's the point in 4D Chess-ing the final stretch for global propaganda purposes? They lost and they're leaving, so let them leave. They've got more than enough things to think about besides that, the risk of loving it up by doing something sneaky for some weird non-tangible propaganda game seems really not worth it. Maybe I misunderstood the people talking about one final attack on the airport or whatever, because I don't understand at all what purpose that would serve

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Nix Panicus posted:

So, one positive that might come out of all this, we might see a break in the global supply of opium and a corresponding break in the opiate crisis now that the US isnt around

Opium production has no impact whatsoever on the opiate crisis.

The most important fact about the modern opiate crisis that people need to know and don't is that carfentanil, a synthetic fentanyl structural analog, is ~5000 times stronger than heroin.

This is why "fentanyl" is flooding every market. You can fit roughly the equivalent amount of doses of carfentanil in a medium-sized suitcase that would require a full 20ft container if you were transporting heroin. It's manufacture costs about 2x of what making heroin does, by weight, or in other words it's about 2500 times cheaper by dose.

Individual criminals can purchase that suitcase full of Chinese carfentanil for relatively cheaply, and then if they can get it into the country they can run a major drug operation for decades without ever needing to resupply. There is enough of the stuff in the US today to satisfy the market for probably a century.

And this is also why so many people are dying of overdose. Because when the base drug is that strong, if the criminals cutting it down to street level doses are even the tiniest bit careless, they can accidentally sell stuff where the contents of a single syringe is 100 times stronger than the user expects it to be, and they die.

mobby_6kl posted:

Looks like it wasn't all for nothing, 20 years was enough to make them think about their behavior and mellow out a bit

It's not about thinking about behavior. US used to have a hardon for assassinating TB leadership, they have had something like 500% turnover at the top. This cleared out the hardliners and hardcore Pashtun nationalists, and they were replaced with a much more reasonable and diverse cadre.

Changing conditions have also had an impact. Pre-2001, Taliban actually wanted to ban all sources of potential foreign influence, including radios. Today, every guy in Afganistan owns a cellphone, including every TB fighter, and they are not giving them up.

But still, more reasonable doesn't mean reasonable. They are still the worst repressive shitheads in government on the globe.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Eric Cantonese posted:

(Honestly, I don't know why anyone has trusted the US or any other western nation since the 70s, but it's supposedly still a thing.)

Not really that hard to understand. People in power stand to gain a lot of money for working with the US, and trust is secondary to greed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's cool that people realized how dumb the minerals explanation for the war was so the CIA wanting to control the world's supply of opium became the new conspiracy theory (or the new old one anyway) when just accepting that we lost our minds after 9/11 and had enough hubris to think we could remake Afghanistan is a sufficient explanation without any of that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There’s also the pure pragmatism that if your nation of less than 40 million lost over 150,000-200,000 men while women were getting some level of school, maybe you let women do bureaucratic work and other skilled work.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

What I think we've learned over the last few weeks is that you do in fact gotta hand it to the Taliban.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

shirunei posted:

Not really that hard to understand. People in power stand to gain a lot of money for working with the US, and trust is secondary to greed.

people everywhere are also dumb as hell, if often smarter than the average american as we are the stupidest people on the planet.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

boofhead posted:

The Taliban cares very much about establishing its legitimacy at home and abroad. It has a huge vested interested in convincing Afghans that they can more competently administer the nation than the previous group of idiots, and also a huge vested interest in convincing the world they aren't murderous thugs who need another round of nation building.

Tuna-Fish posted:

Opium production has no impact whatsoever on the opiate crisis.

http://www.unodc.org/documents/crop-monitoring/Afghanistan/20210217_report_with_cover_for_web_small.pdf

The Afghanistan Opium Survey 2019 posted:

Overall size of the opiate economy remained stable in 2019
The overall income generated by domestic consumption, production and exports of opiates in Afghanistan was estimated at between $1.2 billion and $2.1 billion in 2019. The gross income from opiates exceeded the value of the country’s officially recorded licit exports in 2019. In comparison with 2018, the overall size of the opiate economy contracted only slightly despite the large drop in farm-gate price. This is because export prices of opiates did not collapse in the same way as the prices for the raw product. Shocks in the system take longer to affect heroin and morphine prices. At each step of the opiate trade – cultivation and production of opium, local distribution and manufacture of heroin, the international trade in opiates – different actors benefit economically. The largest profits are made in the retail markets outside Afghanistan.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47861444

The BBC, for you dumbasses who think news can't be real if a Russian observed reality posted:

And, of course, Afghanistan is by far the biggest producer of opium in the world. According to the US military, 90% of the world's heroin is made from opium grown in Afghanistan.

It makes up 95% of the market in Europe; 90% of the Canadian market. Perhaps surprisingly, Afghan heroin is reckoned to make up only a tiny fraction of the US market. The US Drug Enforcement Agency claims as little as one per cent of US supply is from Afghanistan. It says virtually all the heroin used in America comes from Mexico and South American countries.

But, as with any commodity, if there's more of it on the market, the cost will fall, and US drug enforcement was growing afraid that burgeoning production in Afghanistan would increase world supply and push prices down, making it even more accessible to Americans.

Looks like someone is still making money on opium production. Just because synthetics exist doesn't make them readily available to everyone in the desired quantities, or that the regular stuff doesn't affect the calculus of supply and demand.

Also from the article

I'm sure getting invaded in 2001, despite having nothing to do with 9/11 and repeatedly offering up Bin Laden for trial in a neutral country, was completely unrelated to anything happening in that chart

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

boofhead posted:

That's what I mean. They just want the Americans out, and the Americans are doing their best to accommodate that, so what's the point in 4D Chess-ing the final stretch for global propaganda purposes? They lost and they're leaving, so let them leave. They've got more than enough things to think about besides that, the risk of loving it up by doing something sneaky for some weird non-tangible propaganda game seems really not worth it. Maybe I misunderstood the people talking about one final attack on the airport or whatever, because I don't understand at all what purpose that would serve

The context was explaining that the Taliban were graciously letting the Americans 'control' the airport and evacuate at their leisure as a magnanimous gesture because the Taliban controlled literally everything else, and then some American-chauvinists popped in to say that it wasn't a favor, the Taliban were afraid of the awesome fighting force of America.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

The context was explaining that the Taliban were graciously letting the Americans 'control' the airport and evacuate at their leisure as a magnanimous gesture because the Taliban controlled literally everything else, and then some American-chauvinists popped in to say that it wasn't a favor, the Taliban were afraid of the awesome fighting force of America.

No, we were explaining why reigniting the war by slaughtering the troops in the airport is a stupid and terrible idea that the Taliban are not dumb enough to do.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

It's cool that people realized how dumb the minerals explanation for the war was so the CIA wanting to control the world's supply of opium became the new conspiracy theory (or the new old one anyway) when just accepting that we lost our minds after 9/11 and had enough hubris to think we could remake Afghanistan is a sufficient explanation without any of that.

Bah, my conspiracy was the neocons wanted to conquer Iran but needed bases to the east and west first and thought Afghanistan and Iraq would be simple to pacify.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bel Shazar posted:

Bah, my conspiracy was the neocons wanted to conquer Iran but needed bases to the east and west first and thought Afghanistan and Iraq would be simple to pacify.

No conspiracy needed to see that as a happy coincidence at the very least. It's well documented that Iran and Syria were both planned to be future targets following a successful Iraq war.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Sinteres posted:

https://twitter.com/westonpagano/status/1426938674277765128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wow I guess that's why Bush did 9/11 then good to know.