Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thoguh posted:

Ice Phisherman is a Tayne alt, right? No one actually engages like that in CSPAM.

not in the slightest? they have completely, radically different posting styles. how have you been reading these forums this long and you still can't easily recognize incredibly distinct posting voices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Masks didn't have any impact on whether kids did or didn't go to school last year, especially when it became more about politics & power plays than a freaking virus. I personally was like "whatever the hell to get them back in ASAP!" Now parents have a choice, if they want to send their kids to school in masks, they can. It's that simple. There's no reason for them not to be in school. Unless they've been exposed to someone who's been vaxxed, at which point they'll probably test positive soon.

holy lmao where did you find this

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
Grandpa gets brought to ED by family because everyone else in the house has covid and they don’t want him to catch it. guy is perfectly fine, tests negative, but we admit him because it is the VA. grandpa sits around for two weeks until family recovers. seems like a great opportunity to vaccinate him before he goes. family calls an hour later screaming at me for giving him an “experimental vaccine” and how dare I do that without their permission and they’re gonna sue my rear end etc. why did I choose this career

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

smoobles posted:

Do you believe nobody got paid minimum wage (or less!) in the supply chain of your home cooked meal?

:hmmno:

Idk what that has to do with retail and food reinforcing a de facto caste system but idc

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Why was the last thread closed?

Also lmao that everyone who reads this thread on a dead gay comedy forum knows more about COVID than the CDC and administration.

Otter_Sauce
Mar 2, 2019

~Yikes~

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Vaccines have been necessary to participate in public life in the US for over a century

I know this because my dad was a giant dickhead right wing fuckface who insisted I didn't need vaccines to enter school

Right now I'm trying to get a passport with a provisional birth certificate, thanks dad.

Was your dad an off the grid kind of guy that wanted to be untraceable to the state?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

UnknownTarget posted:

Staff shortage

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

UnknownTarget posted:

Also lmao that everyone who reads this thread on a dead gay comedy forum knows more about COVID than the CDC and administration.

lovely forums programming means that metadata associated with long threads is a huge bandwidth sink iirc

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

UnknownTarget posted:

Apparently it was so big that it was causing performance issues for the rest of the site.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Forseti posted:

:stare:

gently caress capitalism

We've all been there!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

UnknownTarget posted:

last thread was getting winded easily, had trouble thinking clearly,

(it was very very large and that starts to make it break)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Otter_Sauce posted:

Was your dad an off the grid kind of guy that wanted to be untraceable to the state?

Yeah, he was a weirdass 1970s-style off the grid hippie who was also in the Army so they knew where he was anyway.

he morphed into an anti-reagan Jimmy Trafficante sort of guy and became a racist antisemite in the nineties when a lot of the narratives that are mainstream now were being fomented.

He died in 2001 but i have zero doubt he'd be a whackjob qanon guy if he were still around.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Potato Salad posted:

holy lmao where did you find this

https://www.reddit.com/r/greenville/comments/p4zfjb/prediction_thread_what_day_of_school_will_the/?sort=controversial

lol (I live among very stupid people)

Apr 7, 2003

UnknownTarget posted:

It really is loving amazing how accurate this thread has continued to be over the past sixteen months simply by taking the 'excessive caution until proven otherwise' route.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

not in the slightest? they have completely, radically different posting styles. how have you been reading these forums this long and you still can't easily recognize incredibly distinct posting voices?

I was making fun of them doing a reddit style 'I enjoy your posting good sir' dive bomb in to the thread.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

skewetoo posted:

Idk what that has to do with retail and food reinforcing a de facto caste system but idc

Just saying if you wanna pull the curtain all the way back, the entire concept of buying food is a caste system, and there is a line of impoverished, overworked people between the cow and the $2/lb ground beef you bought at Kroger.

There are countries where restaurant workers (and food workers) get paid enough to live, I think maybe that's the target area of improvement here, not a vague sense that we are subconsciously pretending our waiters are slaves (a view that conveniently erases the abused class of people that keeps your grocery store full)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Staff shortage

:pusheen:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My local military hospital:

quote:

To minimize health and safety risks for our employees and beneficiaries, Eisenhower Army Medical Center is enforcing strict COVID-19 screening procedures at the hospital entrance.
Any person who screens positive, without exception, will not be allowed to enter the facility unless seeking emergency care. You will be re-directed to the Influenza-Like Illness clinic located next to the staff parking lot for further evaluation. If deemed low risk, you will be allowed to enter the facility.

They weren't doing this with normal covid.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

smoobles posted:

Just saying if you wanna pull the curtain all the way back, the entire concept of buying food is a caste system, and there is a line of impoverished, overworked people between the cow and the $2/lb ground beef you bought at Kroger.

There are countries where restaurant workers (and food workers) get paid enough to live, I think maybe that's the target area of improvement here, not a vague sense that we are subconsciously pretending our waiters are slaves (a view that conveniently erases the abused class of people that keeps your grocery store full)

Capitalism sucks I agree

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The place I work at posts vaccination info every week and the 60% number hasn't improved over the last month.

This is even with the new delta crisis kicking off into high gear in early August.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Platystemon posted:

It owns that the draw of brunch is greater than the cinema’s. I can only imagine that the logic is “well I can see a movie at home, but you know what I can’t do? Eat.”

Also loling at the infectious disease experts who would eat at a restaurant while masked, somehow.

Amusingly, the D&D approved answer to this question is now “Moderna crew will need a booster because Joseph Robinette Biden (pbuh) did not make a distinction between the vaccines”.

tbf i'm Moderna'd up and getting a booster regardless so far be it from me to discourage anyone who wants more slut juice

Apr 7, 2003

skewetoo posted:

Pretend I posted that picture from May 2020 during Georgia's restaurant reopening with the middle-aged woman mugging at the restaurant workers risking their lives to cook eggs for her to the tune of a 1.6x mortality rate.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

source: covidactnow.org

Apr 7, 2003

smoobles posted:

Yeah, but the impoverished wage slave who slaughtered the cow that turned into your ground beef isn't directly in front of you for you to berate and treat like the help in the same way a restaurant server is.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
south dakota gettin' redder

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
i have to go to urgent care today.

im gonna see if they can take my temperature in my butthole. i dont want to take off my respirator.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

etalian posted:

The place I work at posts vaccination info every week and the 60% number hasn't improved over the last month.

my university had a vax deadline of 7/31. on 8/1, they announced somewhere around 1,000 (about right) of 18k students/faculty/staff hadn't filled out the form and were barred from campus; at least some of those were people who already didn't come (emeritus faculty, random research associates offcampus, etc). >98% uptake from the rest, with slightly over 1% granted bona fide exemptions for medical/religious reasons individually reviewed and approved.

we're still doing indoor masking indefinitely though, in addition to that

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lol the festering rot of florida spreads ever on

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

durrneez posted:

i have to go to urgent care today.

im gonna see if they can take my temperature in my butthole. i dont want to take off my respirator.

You're just going to get covid in your butthole instead

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26

Green counties are cooking the books, right?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
The only place I've seen masks mandated was at the orientation for my new job. That gave me some comfort and anecdotally I am noticing more masks when I go out but I get the feeling most people don't really care.

Something that I noticed when I was interviewing and would ask about covid is that some of them would say "hopefully we don't have to wear masks." Not "hopefully the virus is contained," they just don't want to wear a mask. I can't understand that.

We start in the classroom this Friday so we will see how it goes. Oh boy!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

lol at that little green dot in the middle of Florida. No loving way.

Apr 7, 2003

Back in May or so the local news ran a series on business owners whinging about how "no one wants to work." One of the featured tyrants was a BBQ restaurant owner from a few counties away who was complaining that she couldn't find workers during pandemic and she was breathing supplemental oxygen from a canister on air because she was recovering from covid. Anyway, wonder if she's dead yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It really is loving amazing how accurate this thread has continued to be over the past sixteen months simply by taking the 'excessive caution until proven otherwise' route.

“Hey you know that angry ball of proteins that everyone has been bargaining with or ignoring? Yeah, it’s not going to go away on its own.”

Next month:

It doesn’t go away.

Everyone but C‐SPAM is shocked.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26

The green hue is endangered :ohdear:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I think for the most part they are very low pop. counties that are just noisy. I picked one at random.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I haven't gone to a restaurant since March of 2020, I no longer give a gently caress about any of that and I'll never eat out again like I used to do all the time. I openly look down on the loving morons who are risking their lives for that garbage.

It was never about the food; eating out is about reinforcing your place in America's caste system as the served, not the server.

nah, it doesn't have to be
some people are scum, doesn't mean eating out is a caste system
nobody is born into the waiter caste

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

I thought green counties were counties without enough cases or information to be statistically significant, so they are given an entirely different color? All those counties are in no-man's land.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Maine reported 375 new cases for Sunday/Monday and this was in the article comments. i want to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

That green spot in Pennsylvania is Sullivan County. It's ~500 square miles and less than 6200 people live there. It's a modern-day hermitage.