Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

nobody is born into the waiter caste

I've got some bad news about social mobility in the US for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

source: covidactnow.org

can someone make an updated GIF?

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

McCracAttack posted:

lol at that little green dot in the middle of Florida. No loving way.

I could buy that maybe a few of the green counties are so sparsely populated that they are getting by ok. But not all those mfers.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stevie Lee posted:

Maine reported 375 new cases for Sunday/Monday and this was in the article comments. i want to die

I'm more shocked by travelling >100 miles just for a dine than lack of masks

Apr 7, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

Maine reported 375 new cases for Sunday/Monday and this was in the article comments. i want to die

The local hockey team got into some poo poo back in March because they were photoshopping masks onto fans in publicity shots.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/03/04/pittsburgh-penguins-photoshop-masks-on-fans-controversy/

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
oh well poo poo nm haha about the green counties.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The pandemic pushed dining out numbers back to 1980s levels, ie dining out has absolutely loving exploded since the 1980s in the US for a bunch of reasons including wallpapering over a real economy that poo poo the bed.

If you're a median middle class white collar worker in America, you don't have a lot of outlets to spend your $66K median household income today like you could in the past. My wife's grandma used to take weekend trips to New York City to go see Broadway theater; most Americans can't afford that anymore even if they live close enough to drive to Manhattan.

They certainly aren't traveling to Europe or any other number of middle class signifiers that were a thing 40-60 years ago.

Eating out is what they've got left to show that they're members of the privileged class, and when their servants opt out of being servants they go apeshit over it.

https://twitter.com/scratchbomb/status/1426222536560361476

You're completely right. Portland has a decent food scene, and it's set up in a way that's been very interesting to watch during the last year and change. Our restaurants took a hit while they were closed for indoor dining, but most of them switched over to doing to-go food pretty fast and many of them survived. At the same time, though, we've got shitloads of food carts that never had to miss a step due to dining room closures because they don't have those anyway. Nobody in this city went a single day without the ability to buy a hot meal, you can even get some guy to drive it to you for an extra fifteen bucks or so.

Despite the widespread availability of prepared foods for sale, the types of people that have never worked in a restaurant were all weeping into their phones about how much they missed eating out. If I work at a place that sells you a shot and a beer and a burrito that are brought to you by somebody you can boss around a little, and then the next day you can still buy a bottle of liquor and a box of beer down the street and you can still buy the same burrito from me but you have to just get it in a bag and go on your way, and that upsets you, what aspect of the old arrangement is it that you're actually missing? It's the part where you get poo poo on a rented underling and then decide to pay them a little bit less than you claim you normally would if they had done a better job at serving you.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

durrneez posted:

i have to go to urgent care today.

im gonna see if they can take my temperature in my butthole. i dont want to take off my respirator.

Wow, every day I learn of more benefits to wearing a respirator

Pingviini
May 5, 2016

durrneez posted:

im gonna see if they can take my temperature in my butthole. i dont want to take off my respirator.

They might tell you to wear a surgical mask under the respirator, just FYI.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Vermont cases for August 17

8/14: 130
8/15: 63
8/16: 61

23 hospitalized (no change from Friday)
7 in ICU (no change from Friday)
no new deaths

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Forseti posted:

:stare:

gently caress capitalism

In general the last X amount of time a person is alive (X varies but can be years) doesn't reveal who they really are or anything else, it's just a desperate scrabbling at the walls as mortality closes in. Getting mad at someone you've loved for decades as they're dying because they're not dying the way you wanted them to is dumb as hell.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Thoguh posted:

I was making fun of them doing a reddit style 'I enjoy your posting good sir' dive bomb in to the thread.

Well, don't. Ice Phisherman is good people and nice to have around.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Food supply chains are getting back to the level they were in the May 2020 timeframe. Meat is scarce, way more expensive and lower quality than I have ever seen.

The takeout ribs I got last week were spare ribs because they took babybacks off the menu due to supply and quality issues (this is a pretty big restaurant chain, so they have supply chain clout, presumably). What is worse, I am pretty sure I got to taste boar taint for the first time - the ribs were nasty, and this place usually makes great ribs.

Beans are back on the menu.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Joementum posted:

Vermont cases for August 17

8/14: 130
8/15: 63
8/16: 61

23 hospitalized (no change from Friday)
7 in ICU (no change from Friday)
no new deaths

the china of america

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

sonatinas posted:

I’ve been trying to find remote work too. I had an excellent shot and was preferred candidate but then company knew somebody at the last min willing to relocate.

I’m in intl logistics/supply chain if that matters to any lurkers here.

get into marine insurance.

Apr 7, 2003

Golli posted:

Food supply chains are getting back to the level they were in the May 2020 timeframe. Meat is scarce, way more expensive and lower quality than I have ever seen.

The takeout ribs I got last week were spare ribs because they took babybacks off the menu due to supply and quality issues (this is a pretty big restaurant chain, so they have supply chain clout, presumably). What is worse, I am pretty sure I got to taste boar taint for the first time - the ribs were nasty, and this place usually makes great ribs.

Beans are back on the menu.

We stopped buying meat after the poo poo-in-your-pork and chicken-tumors-are-good-actually USDA rulings and we haven't missed it. Tofu and seitan go a long way.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

skewetoo posted:

Never worked retail?

It's not a caste system. Your parents working at Sears (well, when they still existed) doesn't mean you will.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My kids school has announced weekly mandatory covid testing using BinaxNow Nose Swab kit. They will hand out the tests at the end of the first week and if anyone tests positive they have to take a pcr test to confirm. Also, everyone has to be tested by 8/31 by pcr and before the start of school. This is in addition to a mandatory mask requirement and travel quarantine requirements, meaning if you leave the state the kid has to quarantine for at least 7 days if you test them and during that time no online schooling. They’re telling parents don’t travel or your kids will be home with you for up to two weeks.

The lovely thing? No vaccine requirement until the FDA fully approves the vaccine. On the one hand the travel stuff is good but they’re making things hard on us who drive 2 hours out of state to visit family once a month. We stay with my parents who are vaccinated and don’t go anywhere. It’s lower risk than going to Costco maskless or out to dinner etc.

Apr 7, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's not a caste system. Your parents working at Sears (well, when they still existed) doesn't mean you will.

Calling the labor class division in the US a 'caste system' is obviously a euphemism, buttttttt

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Most Idaho counties are over 10%+ positivity rate, which means the CDC image is more identifying a lack of testing. Community spread at that point is very high.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Relevant Tangent posted:

nah, it doesn't have to be
some people are scum, doesn't mean eating out is a caste system
nobody is born into the waiter caste

Yeah there are assholes that view eating in a restaurant as hiring a servant and just enjoy lording over people but that's not the reason that everyone goes out. Sometimes you just want a nice experience or different food.

Do never eat inside a restaurant during a pandemic though.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

I don't think there is any social mobility. I'm first gen in Canada and it's very clear that jobs in the labor aristocracy and above are closed off to me

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Testing is the worst it's been since last April and cases don't matter, only hospitalizations and deaths

These 150k case days are probably the same as 200-250k ones last fall. You could probably do a ratio just going off the positivity rates at the respective times

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Need a north american caste system thread :clint:

Apr 7, 2003

No one in the general public tests unless they're sick, especially if they're vaccinated.

Pro athletes get tested regularly regardless of vaccination status and they pop positive all the fuckin' time regardless of vaccination status.

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson has had covid twice that we know of in the past ten months.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bar Ran Dun posted:

get into marine insurance.

gently caress that’s a good idea

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

WaryWarren posted:

i'm the community case, ama

What's it like to be chained, thrown on a boat, and transported to Australia?

Apr 7, 2003

skewetoo posted:

I don't think there is any social mobility. I'm first gen in Canada and it's very clear that jobs in the labor aristocracy and above are closed off to me

A regular poster around these parts who grew up in New Orleans has posted that the introduction and interview poo poo for any job involves sussing out what high school you went to, since the city is so highly segregated by race and wealth that the interviewer will know what kind of background you came from with that one question. cool.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/joesonka/status/1427643767536898052

https://twitter.com/joesonka/status/1427644213496274952

https://twitter.com/joesonka/status/1427644483353649157

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

source: covidactnow.org

i love that i can watch the plague spreading upwards from florida closer to me

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Co-worker sounded like crap on a call today. He's fully vaxed, fully wfh.

Asked him if he went to get tested - 'no, it's just a cold. FIrst of all I'm vaxed and I don't even have covid symptoms. I'm not running a fever. I just have a runny nose, chest congestion, headache, lots of sneezing, and generally feel bad.' Thanks to the thread, I was able to provide information that convinced him it could be covid so he has an appointment to get tested.

Thanks thread.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

lmao

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

That peen looks infected

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

im going to walk in and ask for a booster today.

im not going to lie, I'm just going to ask for it and see what they say.

im going to go in scrubs and just let the pharmacy techs make their own conclusions

will report back.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

No one in the general public tests unless they're sick, especially if they're vaccinated.

Pro athletes get tested regularly regardless of vaccination status and they pop positive all the fuckin' time regardless of vaccination status.

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson has had covid twice that we know of in the past ten months.

At my last job my coworkers and I would get tested usually bimonthly. This was mostly because I worked for a tribe, and they had a mobile testing clinic on site, and we wanted to kill time

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Calling the labor class division in the US a 'caste system' is obviously a euphemism, buttttttt

Interesting. Definitely some peak of the empire themes.

Unrelated one anecdote that stuck with me from the first thread was some poster (or maybe their family member) arguing with their mother, a former longtime nurse, that masks don't in fact dangerously restrict oxygen supply. The mother had spent decades wearing masks as a nurse in a hospital setting, but just a few months exposure to anti-mask facebook posts and Fox news had completely overwritten her own lived experience and turned her into an anti-masker. It's a shame this forum is so difficult to search and the previous thread so large that the post is basically lost to time. It's a nice encapsulation of the deeply maladapted American social response to the pandemic and how deeply screwed we are, even ignoring how capital decided it was ok for everyone to get infected.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

im going to go in scrubs and just let the pharmacy techs make their own conclusions

will report back.

Good luck!

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/1427443806501163010

China throttled out Delta in two weeks.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I haven't gone to a restaurant since March of 2020, I no longer give a gently caress about any of that and I'll never eat out again like I used to do all the time. I openly look down on the loving morons who are risking their lives for that garbage.

It was never about the food; eating out is about reinforcing your place in America's caste system as the served, not the server.

I think I miss some of my favorite garbage foods from eating out vs the actual eating out "experience". I just can't nail some of the flavors. Like yeah, I can make stirfry but it doesn't taste the same as Miyabi's and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

I haven't been in a restaurant since March 2020, either. I don't plan to be any time soon and I avoid those who do go out, but I really would like to figure out how my favorite Chinese buffet does their lomein because I miss it.

And I think it's as much about feeling "above" someone and being served as it is a lot of other ehhh stuff in especially predominantly white cultures. Restaurants obviously exist elsewhere, but the way a family-owned Mexican restaurant treats its customers is way different than the way IHOP does and it is often cold and uncaring to the IHOP employee.

FizFashizzle posted:

will report back.

looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

If I die I leave my token Melbourne covid thread street cred to Snowglobe of Doom.

Oh poo poo I've never had any cred before, I wouldn't know what to do with it