Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Bring back Marvel Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Last epoch was acceptable and I felt I got my money's worth. I played through single player until I hit the literal edge of a map with a message about that being all the content available for now, which is fine for a pre release game.

There is a time travel angle that only gets used in one quest when it could be a game defining mechanic (it does effect map design/reuse which is cool). Something like day of the tentacle style changes to the environment with some more intricate puzzles. They should expand on it.

Hopefully d4 feels just as satisfying when my yet to be conceived child preorders it for Christmas 2030. I'll get d2r when they release a QOL patch in two years when people who think they want d2 gently caress off.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

:emptyquote:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mr Scumbag posted:

But without that stupid synergy bullshit and before they ruined spirit regen.

DARPA posted:

Last epoch was acceptable and I felt I got my money's worth. I played through single player until I hit the literal edge of a map with a message about that being all the content available for now, which is fine for a pre release game.

That should've shuttled you off to Monoliths of Fate. IMO that's where Last Epoch really shines, they're a great replacement for GRifts.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

why are people itt so threatened by folks who prefer D2 to D3? or vice versa? i mean, i like both games.

i am, however, pretty bummed that it appears mods will not be a thing in D2R. i hope that means someone at blizzard or VV or a brain in a jar will do some rebalancing, end-game additions and QOL updates to D2R.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s pretty wild that Blizzard has these two absolutely legendary video games, Diablo II and Warcraft III, just these gargantuan monoliths that spawned worlds unto themselves, literally games so complex you could invent new kinds of video games inside of them, and those games lived and died by their mod communities, and owe everything to their mod communities, and Blizzard’s response to that is just to say “gently caress da mods”

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s pretty wild that Blizzard has these two absolutely legendary video games, Diablo II and Warcraft III, just these gargantuan monoliths that spawned worlds unto themselves, literally games so complex you could invent new kinds of video games inside of them, and those games lived and died by their mod communities, and owe everything to their mod communities, and Blizzard’s response to that is just to say “gently caress da mods”

Because they are so big and so many people play their games, mods represent endless customer support issues. Frankly I don't blame them. Instead of bugging the mod maker, people will just turn to Blizzard to fix the mod. Not worth it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I've never played it, but what's the stance of Bethesda on Skyrim mods? I think of that as a similarly well known franchise, and the mod scene is flourishing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

why are people itt so threatened by folks who prefer D2 to D3? or vice versa? i mean, i like both games.

i am, however, pretty bummed that it appears mods will not be a thing in D2R. i hope that means someone at blizzard or VV or a brain in a jar will do some rebalancing, end-game additions and QOL updates to D2R.
It's because the games have wildly different strengths and weaknesses. Many people have dated/biased views of either game. Some people think d3 is total trash because they only played at launch or only tried to do the story. Some people think d2 sucks because they gave up in the first 5 minutes or remember their childhood view of it from 20 years ago when it was a wildly different game.

D3's strength is having the best "optimize how fast you're blowing through easy content and murdering tons of stuff while having loot smack you in the face nonstop" and also extremely good group gameplay for the genre. You're constantly progressing gear and playing some pretty good combat. And when you hit that perfect difficulty vs your gear the gameplay is amazing.

D2's strength is playing through the game, developing a character, using what you find to scrap together a coherent build, its atmosphere & variance, and the "journey" of getting stronger through levels and unpredictable gear drops. You never really outscale mobs in d2 unless you have really good gear with specific builds.

D3's growth in power is a bit different because you're killing the same stuff in t1 as t16 & gr1 as gr150. Once you've assembled some poorly rolled gear you're more or less playing the build at full power with smaller numbers. And in modern seasons, that's the first few hours of play (which is extremely good imo -- let's not take this the wrong way).

Despite how overly critical I am of d3 in this thread at times, I like D3 more than D2 due to how endgame builds play. I'm just really burnt out on D3 from playing it for ages & it being very samey most seasons. I'm not as burnt out on playing a few days of D2 here and there because there's far more variation in what happens when you make a new character. Definitely super burnt out any kind of endgame grind in d2 and I don't even bother with that.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 17, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Khorne posted:

Definitely super burnt out any kind of endgame grind in d2 and I don't even bother with that.

This is why the "beta" is only 2 acts and changes what characters you can roll every time.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

This is why the "beta" is only 2 acts and changes what characters you can roll every time.
Levels 18-25 are by far the worst parts of diablo 2. I'd take the endgame grind over it. Although the speed runner strat of hitting certain areas in a3 makes it far more tolerable. I bet people will waste a lot of time doing tomb runs solo in large games instead of doing something quicker and less awful. Although tombs are good with an entire party actively clearing them.

The only reason I don't quit during 18-25 is because it's like some weird misery builder that makes 25-28 and then the 30s when you sprout into a full grown character that much more enjoyable.

A cool "beta" would have been to have everything available but for characters to automatically become inaccessible after being played for 3 or 5 hours. It would have generated tons of hype on twitch but left the average person feeling a bit weird. It would have created a weird "rush my level 1 to a4 hell with as little time as possible played" meta where you could technically get a character to ~90 if you do it right and abuse joining games at just the right time. It'd have been a very d2 thing to do.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 17, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

External Organs posted:

I've never played it, but what's the stance of Bethesda on Skyrim mods? I think of that as a similarly well known franchise, and the mod scene is flourishing.

Bethesda has 420 employees. Blizzard has over 9,000 employees. There's no comparison in size or scope.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Bust Rodd posted:

map protection killed the war3 custom map scene, and that + not including heroes/inventory in starcraft 2 killed it there

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Because they are so big and so many people play their games, mods represent endless customer support issues. Frankly I don't blame them. Instead of bugging the mod maker, people will just turn to Blizzard to fix the mod. Not worth it.

Wow has add-ons so I could be wrong here now that I think about it. But I know other companies have said they don't want modding because of support issues. Maybe it depends on the game.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Speaking personally, I'm not generally threatened by anyone else's opinion, but I do get frustrated over things I see as silly circlejerks - which the hate for D3 frequently crosses into, in my opinion.

People go way too crazy with the criticism, while also ignoring all of the weaknesses (sometimes the same weaknesses) of other games they claim are superior. For example, that D3 has cookie cutter builds and simple itemization, but they are willing to defend D2's arguably more complicated itemization which also can't really be fully appreciated without botting.

It seems obvious to me that it's often less about legitimate critique of D3 (or insert latest iteration of [FRANCHISE] here, since this is a popular circlejerk in general) and more a gamut to gloat about how HARDCORE and OLDSCHOOL they are by always preferring [PREVIOUS OR OLDER INSTALLMENT IN FRANSHISE], as they reminisce about the "old days" when "games were good". (And this is to say nothing of the people who only start up on these overblown criticisms after playing hundreds to thousands of hours of the game, which thankfully you can see in Steam reviews. It's obvious that many of those people thoroughly enjoyed [LATEST INSTALLMENT OF FRANCHISE] and burned out, rather than legitimately though it was a poorly designed game. Not to mention the fact that "Blizzard sucks at making games now" is a super popular stance to take these days, for better or worse. It seems more like trend-following a lot of the time more than making their own minds up. Thankfully nor on SA, but elsewhere online it gets kind of crazy.

If people go in-depth and explain why they think one game is better than the other and use examples and are consistent, it's fine. You so rarely see that, though.

I love D2. I haven't played it since just before D3 came out, though, but I remember it enough that I'm pretty sure that there's a ton about it that will frustrate the hell out of me now. That's one of the reasons I've deliberately not gone back to it, despite kind of wanting to.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 17, 2021

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Mayveena posted:

i mean, can't they just make it a policy that they don't give customer support to mods and leave it there? i'd have to assume anyone savvy enough to -- a) know diablo 2 mods exist and b) seek out and install those mods -- can handle being without Blizzard's technical support.

it seems more likely they are not supporting D2R mods because, predictably, those mods can be played with pirated copies of the game and are played online through cracked versions of Battle.net servers. blizzard doesn't want people pirating their games. and blizzard probably doesn't want to let other people see their battle.net code and i doubt blizzard would want to create "official" battle.net servers for Path of Diablo or whatever. Doing so would be a technical headache, and also a blow to Blizzard's gigantic ego.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 17, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s absolutely bonkers how many people will defend Diablo II as somehow being better than D3 while also admitting that’s only true if you hack the map and deploy a fleet of robots to constantly play the game for you while you work, poo poo, and sleep.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Bethesda's approach, with a little hyperbole, is to release a game in beta and then let a bunch of uncredited and unpaid interns take the game to completion. Recently they have made machinations that imply going forward on their post-FO4 flagship single player games they are going to much more tightly control the mod scene as a means of monetizing it for their own gain with a kickback to mod creators.

They tried to ex-post insert the framework into Skyrim to riotous results from the community so it never got full implemented, but the writing is on the wall.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s absolutely bonkers how many people will defend Diablo II as somehow being better than D3 while also admitting that’s only true if you hack the map and deploy a fleet of robots to constantly play the game for you while you work, poo poo, and sleep.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Which, like, I get it, I have fond memories of D2 too, but those are tempered by remembering how long it took to get anything off the ground in a meaningful endgame way.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i mean, can't they just make it a policy that they don't give customer support to mods and leave it there? i'd have to assume anyone savvy enough to -- a) know diablo 2 mods exist and b) seek out and install those mods -- can handle being without Blizzard's technical support.

it seems more likely they are not supporting D2R mods because, predictably, those mods can be played with pirated copies of the game and are played online through cracked versions of Battle.net servers. blizzard doesn't want people pirating their games. and blizzard probably doesn't want to let other people see their battle.net code and i doubt blizzard would want to create "official" battle.net servers for Path of Diablo or whatever. Doing so would be a technical headache, and also a blow to Blizzard's gigantic ego.

Yeah I guess they'd have to re-write the game to accept lua mods like WoW has to get around this.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Which, like, I get it, I have fond memories of D2 too, but those are tempered by remembering how long it took to get anything off the ground in a meaningful endgame way.

i mean, the presentation, art direction, music and sound effects in D2 are legitimately better.

itemization is a toss-up based on preference.

D3 has better moment-to-moment combat and more fluid/diverse character builds. but in either game you're still going to grind your face off to get to the very top of the game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m pretty confident I could get to the top end of Diablo 3 in approximately 10% of the time it would take you to effectively bot/farm/buy what you’d need to beat the top end of Diablo II

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

okay ya got me there maybe?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Bust Rodd posted:

I think some of these people haven't played d3 since the RMAH days

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i mean, the presentation, art direction, music and sound effects in D2 are legitimately better.

itemization is a toss-up based on preference.

D3 has better moment-to-moment combat and more fluid/diverse character builds. but in either game you're still going to grind your face off to get to the very top of the game.

That is also subject to taste and preference though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'll give you music and art direction, sound effects are +/-, but Diablo 3 has a way better overall presentation.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve been playing this game for 10 years and I’ve only been playing with sound on for maybe 2 of those 10 years

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Diablo 3 has good sounds but the music totally sucks, especially ambient grift stuff.

Edit: Diablo 1 cathedral dungeon music is very good

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'll give you music and art direction, sound effects are +/-, but Diablo 3 has a way better overall presentation.

If you're talking about enemy and environment art, I disagree. D2's enemies, in their animations especially, communicate so much about how they move and feel and act. D3 is certainly good there, but imo D2 has unbelievably memorable and distinct monsters, yet they all tie together with a certain feel. D2's monster and environment art is among the best a game has ever done.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

If you're talking about enemy and environment art, I disagree. D2's enemies, in their animations especially, communicate so much about how they move and feel and act. D3 is certainly good there, but imo D2 has unbelievably memorable and distinct monsters, yet they all tie together with a certain feel. D2's monster and environment art is among the best a game has ever done.

I will say everything except the itchies are top tier. How do they look in the remaster?

Killing diablo 1 death knights is better than d2 death knights though by a wide margin.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I've never really reached the "end game" in D2 of top tier runewords and whatnot, but I had more fun with those 2 acts of the D2R beta than pretty much anything D3 has done in the last 9 years. D2R reminded me of why I loved that game so much back in the day. The character progression and the campaign are extremely satisfying. D3 is just insanely boring and often feels like you're playing a mindless arcadey shooter. I'm (was?) looking forward to D4 in the hopes that it has some of that D2 sense of RPG progression and great campaign. But with the project losing its top two people I don't have much faith in it atm.

I feel like D3 tried to do what Marvel Heroes did, but failed at it on every level. Marvel Heroes was an arcadey ARPG with the most fun characters/skills in the genre. D3 tried to attempt the same but all of the classes in that game are generic as hell and so is the itemization. That's why it fell so flat.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm curious, how much of D3 have you played?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Orc Priest posted:

I've never really reached the "end game" in D2 of top tier runewords and whatnot, but I had more fun with those 2 acts of the D2R beta than pretty much anything D3 has done in the last 9 years. D2R reminded me of why I loved that game so much back in the day. The character progression and the campaign are extremely satisfying. D3 is just insanely boring and often feels like you're playing a mindless arcadey shooter. I'm (was?) looking forward to D4 in the hopes that it has some of that D2 sense of RPG progression and great campaign. But with the project losing its top two people I don't have much faith in it atm.

I feel like D3 tried to do what Marvel Heroes did, but failed at it on every level. Marvel Heroes was an arcadey ARPG with the most fun characters/skills in the genre. D3 tried to attempt the same but all of the classes in that game are generic as hell and so is the itemization. That's why it fell so flat.

It fell flat how?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Suburban Dad posted:

Grim dawn is really good and feels like Diablo 2.5. Same bullshit running through the difficulty 3 times and resistances, similar skill tree and has a neat devotion system for more passive effects and on cast effects. Has better drop rate once you get to the end game with shrines like D3 with neph bracers that always drop uniques. They made a lot of changes post release, mostly for the better and making it more fun and less grindy (but there's still tons of that). There's a GR like system of increasing difficulty too. It goes on sale for $5 occasionally. The expansions are really good too and add more content.

I was so excited for Grim Dawn. It was made by some of the Titan Quest devs, so it had a great pedigree. I backed their Kickstarter immediately and started playing as soon as it hit the semi-closed Alpha phase.

Unfortunately, the setting was so drab and gray and... boring. I put a few hundred hours into it and watched it progress to the release version, and I couldn't tell you the first thing about the world or the story. The gameplay was fine, but I didn't find it as engaging as Titan Quest, and they still clung to too many D2-era ARPG tropes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

WhiteHowler posted:

I was so excited for Grim Dawn. It was made by some of the Titan Quest devs, so it had a great pedigree. I backed their Kickstarter immediately and started playing as soon as it hit the semi-closed Alpha phase.

Unfortunately, the setting was so drab and gray and... boring. I put a few hundred hours into it and watched it progress to the release version, and I couldn't tell you the first thing about the world or the story. The gameplay was fine, but I didn't find it as engaging as Titan Quest, and they still clung to too many D2-era ARPG tropes.

I will forgive a bad story if the gameplay and itemisation are ok. I have no idea what's happening in PoE or GD in terms of story because it seems like skippable trash so I've not paid much attention. But yeah I can't really argue with anything you've said. I played it last year after a lot of updates and it's way better than I remembered though.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

WhiteHowler posted:

How many hours do you put into games that engage you

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

owl_pellet posted:

How many hours do you put into games that engage you

Ha, good point.

I did have fun with Grim Dawn for sure, but it wasn't nearly as memorable as most of the other ARPG's I've played. I can remember details from Marvel Heroes, or Titan Quest, or Diablo 2, and I played all of those long before Grim Dawn.

I still have high hopes for Lost Ark. I know it's a bit more MMO-y and they haven't announced how monetization will work in the West, but it certainly looks interesting.

Until then, I still have 8 ethereals left to get!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wanted to play Grim Dawn but controller support is tired to screen resolution so that’s a big no go.

Looking forward to D2 because it has controller support and I’m still bitter that the PC version of D3 never got it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MarcusSA posted:

I wanted to play Grim Dawn but controller support is tired to screen resolution so that’s a big no go.

Looking forward to D2 because it has controller support and I’m still bitter that the PC version of D3 never got it.

I’m confused what “controller support is tied to screen resolution” means? I use controller sometimes for Grim Dawn and it plays great.

That said, the controller support for D2 is off the chain good and it’ll probably be the way I play the game 99% of the time. Having face buttons mapped to skills instead of one button to select another to fire is so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I’m confused what “controller support is tied to screen resolution” means? I use controller sometimes for Grim Dawn and it plays great.

It requires the game to run something higher than 720p. I think it’s 1080p.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/219990/discussions/0/1648792158806990965/

quote:

Unfortunately the UI requirements for controller necessitate a certain minimum resolution. This has been the case since Ashes of Malmouth was released (when we overhauled controller support dramatically).

I was trying to play it on a handheld device and it definitely won’t play on the Steam Deck when it comes out.