Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Two quick questions to kinda refresh myself because on one of the discord servers I frequent this one dumbass who often goes on and on about how :qq: "Vic was tarred and feathered, I tells you!" reminded me that this rear end in a top hat existed.
  • The SLAPP Lawsuit is pretty much at a standstill atm, correct?
  • The last two things he did for voice work were Broly and one Qrow thing from RWBY and he has done absolutely gently caress-all afterwards, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

1. Pretty much, legal proceedings like this usually run at the speed of molasses and having the pandemic isn't helping
2. Not anything worthwhile no.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, figured on the first one it'd be the case. Weird that he still seems to be getting work and not showing up online, though. From what his wikipedia article lists, it makes it look like he pretty much stopped getting work altogether in late 2018 and the last 3 things I found he had gotten replaced for most of his ongoing roles like Rohan Kishibe in the Thus Spoke OVA's and for the new Broly in the DBFighterZ game.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Wasn't it Johnny Yong Bosch that voices Broly in DBFZ?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Johnny Yong Bosch seems to have replaced him as both Broly and Sabo, yes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The current particular standstill is the appeals court deciding whether or not to throw the thing out immediately, and appeals courts are even slower than most.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't the whole impetus of why he got a relatively light (basically paying for the legal fees of the defendants) verdict the fact that the judge pretty much implicitly warned him that if he filed for an appeal/tried it again elsewhere either the appeal was gonna get thrown out almost right away or he was going to get "the book thrown at him" or something? How loving long has this case been going on now? Two years and a half? Jesus. Just... I dunno, isn't his loving mom rich as hell? Just live like a failson for the rest of your life and go the gently caress away, Vic.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

But then he'd be wrong.

Can't have that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah and at this point, it seems like even the people who were latching on to the trial for culture war BS have moved on, so no one really cares about Vic.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Wark Say posted:

I dunno, isn't his loving mom rich as hell? Just live like a failson for the rest of your life and go the gently caress away, Vic.

He and Lowtax could team up for streaming since in addition to that, another thing they have in common is their total unemployability. Vic can be the sober straight one, Rich the sloppy wasted weirdo.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Together, they fight crime harass women!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Edit: lost the train of whatever I was trying to say here.

For the appeal, all the filings and briefs were finished around this time last year nothing has happened since and it's waiting on the court to issue the ruling. People in the know for this sort of thing have been saying that similar items on the docket from that time period have been ruled on but there isn't any deadline.

Vic could of course dismiss his side of the appeal at any time but that isn't likely to happen.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 17, 2021

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hub Cat posted:

For the appeal, all the filings and briefs were finished around this time last year nothing has happened since and it's waiting on the court to issue the ruling. People in the know for this sort of thing have been saying that similar items on the docket from that time period have been ruled on but there isn't any deadline.

Vic could of course dismiss his side of the appeal at any time but that isn't likely to happen.

Probably because of the death threats to the judge, they are probably doing the "give a year for people to forget about it before ruling" thing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

Probably because of the death threats to the judge, they are probably doing the "give a year for people to forget about it before ruling" thing.
Thanks to several articles and from other forums/websites, I am aware that Vic was not shy about using his fanclub to try and get his way wrt harassing people/staff/fellow VA's/etc, but it's legit baffling how he thought that harassing/sending death threats to a judge was anything other than incredibly idiotic.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/marzgurl/status/1399904205351972870?s=21

*700 club music*

Vic: “That’s right for just 50 dollars a day you too can sponsor

“i love star trek” :aatrek:

gently caress, now I want Dave Chappelle to do a shot-for-shot remake of the R. Kelly “Piss On You” song but dressed as Vic

and now that I typed that, I also want a hololive person to sing it, and so do you

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 17, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I dunno, man, I feel like the irony of using R. Kelly music to go after Vic might break something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mors Rattus posted:

I dunno, man, I feel like the irony of using R. Kelly music to go after Vic might break something.

Piss on You is a parody of the time R Kelly videotaped himself peeing on a teenager.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Skwirl posted:

Piss on You is a parody of the time R Kelly videotaped himself peeing on a teenager.

Ah.

Well, now I know that.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Hub Cat posted:

People more in the know than me are saying that the only reason they can see for it being this delayed is that there's a very strong legal argument that they don't want to grant - Vic's appeal is obviously garbage and doesn't work - but the cross appeal argument that the judge abused his discretion in giving the haircut he did? Compelling and a thing the court doesn't really want to give.

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017

Exercu posted:

People more in the know than me are saying that the only reason they can see for it being this delayed is that there's a very strong legal argument that they don't want to grant - Vic's appeal is obviously garbage and doesn't work - but the cross appeal argument that the judge abused his discretion in giving the haircut he did? Compelling and a thing the court doesn't really want to give.

They probably wouldn't have an issue with finding abuse of discretion with the fees, since the way the judge cut down Monica and Ron's fees flies in the face of Rohrmoos, a Texas Supreme Court decision which said that judges needed to start out with the lodestar method for determining attorney's fees. And the trial court judge clearly didn't do that since he just cut Monica and Ron's fees down to match Jamie Marchi's.

Now when it comes to judgments finding that a trial court didn't follow Rohrmoos in determining fees, the general pattern in the Second Court of Appeals in Texas has been to remand back to the trial court and tell them to do it right.

But Rusty O'Kane (the appellate attorney for Monica and Ron) argued pretty vigorously that the affidavit establishing their fees was sufficiently detailed and uncontroverted, so the appeals court should just grant the full fees as a matter of law instead of remanding back to the trial court. And I've heard speculation that the appeals court don't want to do this because determining the amount of fee awards are usually within the trial court's discretion, and they don't wanna dip their toes into that territory.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/teedotally/status/1441576756180254735?s=21

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Yeah, he's uh, a piece of work alright

https://twitter.com/LaneHRush/status/1439805214631026688?s=19

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can one of you post a link or a quote or something with actual loving information in it? All I see is some screenshots I can't click, which tell me nothing.

EDIT: Like does Chuck Huber support literally killing people with developmental differences, or is he just pro-cure so Twitter decided he's now officially Hitler?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 25, 2021

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Here's the original thread that the screenshots from

In response to that twitlonger, Huber shares the email he sent trying to excuse her harasser, saying he was a just a misunderstood autistic kid who meant no harm.

Small thread from someone involved in the situation, who confirmed her story.

E: edited a bit for mobile

Ignis fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 25, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
now when i say hiei is the worst part of the yyh dub, it will have double meaning

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I. M. Gei posted:

Can one of you post a link or a quote or something with actual loving information in it? All I see is some screenshots I can't click, which tell me nothing.

EDIT: Like does Chuck Huber support literally killing people with developmental differences, or is he just pro-cure so Twitter decided he's now officially Hitler?

Speaking as an autistic person, a "cure" would alter my brain to such a degree that whatever was left afterwards would not be me, so what exactly is the difference?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
My assumption—when not looking at people on the Internet who may just be right-wing eugenics assholes—would be that any talk of “curing” autism is less about changing the brains of people living with it, and more about figuring out root cause(s) to reduce the incidence.

I can certainly see opinions being divided on whether this is a good idea, see also “eugenics.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, I don't personally want a cure? And I'd prefer if people like me got to exist?

Like, I don't think "wow, this is some bloodthirsty eugenics bullshit that wants to eradicate people like me" is an overreaction on my part.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

eschaton posted:

My assumption—when not looking at people on the Internet who may just be right-wing eugenics assholes—would be that any talk of “curing” autism is less about changing the brains of people living with it, and more about figuring out root cause(s) to reduce the incidence.

I can certainly see opinions being divided on whether this is a good idea, see also “eugenics.”

I mean that is still saying "You are a defect and if we had our way you would never have been born." It's a problem of lot of people who otherwise have good intentions run into because if you're going to approach from the perspective of "You really shouldn't have been born, how sad" you start going awful place awful quickly.

Would you approach someone saying "We're divided on if curing homosexuality is a good idea"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Right, the whole idea of preventing certain kinds of divergence from the “norm” relies on having a “norm” to begin with.

Even when there is one, for example hearing, there’s some significant opposition to doing anything about it.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, I don't personally want a cure? And I'd prefer if people like me got to exist?

You'd still exist, life would presumably just be easier for you. And if not for you, definitely for those whose autism IS a major obstacle and brings nothing but hindrance and hardship. Like to the point where they can't get out of bed or function at all in the outside world. Don't they deserve a chance at a better life? I work in child care, and one of the kids we had over the summer for day camps was full-on autistic to the point where he had no friends or any social skills, couldn't play with the other kids without melting down, and ALWAYS had to be holding his Thomas the Tank Engine toys and had to be bribed with Thomas print-outs just to co-operate with anything. And at age 9, that could be how the rest of his life will go. Doesn't Marco deserve a choice and chance to not be stuck like that for life?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agent Escalus posted:

You'd still exist, life would presumably just be easier for you. And if not for you, definitely for those whose autism IS a major obstacle and brings nothing but hindrance and hardship. Like to the point where they can't get out of bed or function at all in the outside world. Don't they deserve a chance at a better life? I work in child care, and one of the kids we had over the summer for day camps was full-on autistic to the point where he had no friends or any social skills, couldn't play with the other kids without melting down, and ALWAYS had to be holding his Thomas the Tank Engine toys and had to be bribed with Thomas print-outs just to co-operate with anything. And at age 9, that could be how the rest of his life will go. Doesn't Marco deserve a choice and chance to not be stuck like that for life?

What I'm hearing reading this is "Why don't these people go away so I don't have to take care of them".

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

Like, I don't think "wow, this is some bloodthirsty eugenics bullshit that wants to eradicate people like me" is an overreaction on my part.

Also, the idea that it a "cure" or any intention to help would be "some bloodthirsty eugenics bullshit that wants to eradicate" *is* actually an overreaction on your part, FYI.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What I'm hearing reading this is "Why don't these people go away so I don't have to take care of them".

You might want to check your hearing then.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The reason advocates for autistic people reject the notion of "cures" is because neurodivergence is kind of inextricable with your identity. For all intents and purposes a "cured" individual would be a completely different person, no matter how you do it. As a neurodivergent individual (not autism, but ADHD), I have, at times, wished I was "normal," but not only is that impossible, the person who comes out the other end of that wouldn't actually be me. Yes, I'm sure there are people who would like to have the opportunity to live a more "normal" life even despite that, but you shouldn't feel comfortable speaking for people with severe autism on this issue.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And there's also the issue, which I neglected to mention, of the idea that an autistic experience of the world is somehow less valid than a neurotypical one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agent Escalus posted:

It's very tempting to reply with to this with just "gently caress off" but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

No. It doesn't work that way. You are effectively saying "Wouldn't it be better if you were an entirely different individual because that individual would have an 'easier' life." What you don't seem to get is that you are saying, straight up, "You are defective and you should want to be the way I say you should be." And that is the exact loving viewpoint that is used to claim that 'normality' is the state everyone should try to achieve where that normality is conveniently something that carefully boxes anyone who doesn't fit your specific definition of normal in a 'defective' box.

Like the child you are talking about. You're not wishing an easier life on him. You're wishing he was a different person. Your view of 'a cure' is 'I don't think people like this should exist" and you seem to be of the viewpoint that anyone who falls into that category should hate themselves and wish they hadn't been born like that, instead of acknowledging that they were born the person they were and allow themselves to be happy, even if it isn't the life you personally view as ideal. Maybe their life would be "easier" if they had been born more neurotypical but you have no fuckin' idea about that. Speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time helping special needs kids they are not 'broken' or 'defective.' They're different. They can still lead perfectly happy lives and pointing at a small child and going "He gets upset without things he finds comfortable! His entire life is ruined" is pretty lovely.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mors Rattus posted:

Speaking as an autistic person, a "cure" would alter my brain to such a degree that whatever was left afterwards would not be me, so what exactly is the difference?

I am also an autistic person and I would LOVE to have a treatment or "cure" option available to me, and it pisses me off beyond description that loving anti-treatment identity politics assholes have the majority voice right now. I do not give a single gently caress — nor should I have to give a single gently caress — if the existence of a treatment option would make people think you're "defective" if you decide not to get it. I'm glad your autism is a gift to you, but mine has NOT been a gift to me and I'd get rid of it in a loving heartbeat if I could, and nobody should ever be allowed to tell me not to! Nobody should ever be allowed to deny me the right to get treated for a developmental condition that I don't like having!

There should be treatment options available for autism, and people with autism should be able to decide for themselves whether they want to get their's treated or not, at their own individual discretion, and nobody should criticize their decision to get or not get treated. If some Twitter rear end in a top hat thinks that the mere existence of a treatment or "cure" will magically lead to some lovely 60s sci-fi eugenics dystopia, then gently caress THEM!!

Arist posted:

The reason advocates for autistic people reject the notion of "cures" is because neurodivergence is kind of inextricable with your identity. For all intents and purposes a "cured" individual would be a completely different person, no matter how you do it.

gently caress my identity. My identity loving sucks. I have ADHD too and I don't give a gently caress if I come out the other end a "different person". Hell I HOPE I come out a different person. It's still my body and my brain and my soul at the end of the day, they just think and act different than before. "Identity" is loving overrated.

Agent Escalus posted:

This guy gets it! Thank you!

Agent Escalus posted:

Also, the idea that it a "cure" or any intention to help would be "some bloodthirsty eugenics bullshit that wants to eradicate" *is* actually an overreaction on your part, FYI.

Also this is correct. I don't know what the gently caress Mors's damage is but that's a crazy rear end overreaction on his part.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 26, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

gently caress my identity. My identity loving sucks. I don't give a gently caress if I come out the other end a "different person". Hell I HOPE I come out a different person. It's still my body and my brain and my soul at the end of the day, they just think different than before. "Identity" is loving overrated.

I don't mean for this to sound offensive so I hope it doesn't come across that way but if you really genuinely feel this way you should talk to someone. That level of self-loathing and depression is not a good place to be. If you're worried about cost or anything there are a lot of free options especially for people with autism where you can at least discuss things. I'm not going to tell you you're wrong for how you feel about yourself but I really hope you at least don't have to come at it from a place of thinking that you suck for how you were born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So about that vic. What an rear end in a top hat right guys