Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

this is the thread where we post about preventable pandemics right?

https://twitter.com/YahooCanadaNews/status/1427617849254760455

this explains alot actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

scary ghost dog posted:

theres a ceiling on hospitalizations lol

It's this lmao , one weird trick you cant get hospitalized if the hospitals already full. epidemiologists hate it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

In 2021, Jacque was outspoken against COVID-19 vaccine mandates and authored anti-science legislation that would bar government officials or business owners from requiring Wisconsinites be vaccinated against COVID-19 or show proof of vaccination to access services. Jacque also opposed the statewide mask mandate implemented by Gov. Tony Evers and joined legislation to end it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

is there any data aggregation site that shows ICU availability, broadly across regions or nationwide?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Der Meister posted:

sounds like u need some cash

yes

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

It's always these low-level morons that get caught believing the bullshit they sell to the rubes. Anyone higher is important enough to be secretly vaxed and has access to primo health care.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

So what is the dumbass dying from then lmfao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lolllllll this fat slug is the state senator for the neighboring district. He's a terrible person through and through, gently caress him, I hope he chokes on his own lung juices

his statement is amazing

I'm not concerned about covid; all of my covid symptoms are part of my laundry list of chronic health problems already! not even concerned about going to the hospital! my failing flesh routinely needs emergency medical treatment

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
found out my cousin thought he didn't need to get vaccinated because covid is just the flu, bro. he just got put on a ventilator about 30mins to an hour ago.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
sen jacque off

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It performs 300 handler operations, 1 key lookup to the first row with a matching thread_id and 299 consecutive reads down the linked list. O(n). This also doesn't change based on table cardinality, limit-offset cardinality, or what the sampling statistics happen to look like.

This operation does get CPU-expensive when we get on the order of 100k+ rows being accessed many times a second. It's something that is fine in a vacuum and an issue at concurrency. Is there an efficient caching layer in front of vbulletin now? I'm not really sure. Posts are made often enough though that caches will be regularly invalidated.

I used to maintain vbulletin forums years ago and was a MySQL DBA until I quit a month ago. Large cardinality problems (like threads with a shitload of posts) are an extremely common style of resource consumption issue.

Well I don't have any vbulletin experience so fair enough there, you have a much better idea of what the code may be doing. I hope I didn't come across as attacking your post specifically, it's just a topic I enjoy thinking about and sharing.

It's just there there are a lot of tools that can be used to help at all the levels. Well designed tables and indexes, queries that avoid the most common pitfalls, hand tuned optimized queries all the way up to the "things they don't want to hear" like this requirement is expensive, can you make sacrifices on any aspect of it (for example, could they live with a fixed page size or only multiples of a fixed page size instead of completely arbitrary).

There are so many things at play it's impossible to give a one size fits all answer. I certainly wouldn't want to just outright attack somebody's code without knowing exactly what's there, what the constraints were at the time, etc. I've written plenty of "bad code" myself, either because of inexperience, imposed constraints, or just plain old mistakes :)

I am confident it could be made to perform much better, but it certainly could be very expensive to do that and it may really be the case that it isn't worth it. In fact, just closing the threads and making new ones periodically isn't a bad solution to a fairly rare occurrence IMO.

Edit: Also it makes so much sense that the Cassandra COVID thread is full of DBAs and people who understand and appreciate what DBAs do :lol:

Forseti fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 17, 2021

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

cspam anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtTEibFvlQ&t=74s

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

fermun posted:

found out my cousin thought he didn't need to get vaccinated because covid is just the flu, bro. he just got put on a ventilator about 30mins to an hour ago.

:same: except my cousin caught OG covid, thought that was good enough, caught delta and has been in a coma on a vent for a week now. :rip:

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Ausmund posted:

Will any respirator due? Could I swing by home depot today and get the h3 paint project mask or do they have to be specialized?

as long as its filter handles particulates, then you’re good. look for n95 or p95/p100 or ffp2/ffp3 depending on locale.

but I would recommend just ordering online

https://www.zoro.com/3m-half-mask-respirator-silicone-gray-hf-802sd/i/G5775455/ mask

https://www.zoro.com/3m-filter-magenta-push-to-connect-pr-d3097/i/G5758086/ filter

nexous fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 17, 2021

Marlow
Jan 11, 2007

Foreign dokaebi
Every school should be be open in the fall

Marlow fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 17, 2021

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Ausmund posted:

Will any respirator due? Could I swing by home depot today and get the h3 paint project mask or do they have to be specialized?

If you're looking at stuff off the shelf at Home Depot look for any N95, or preferably the P100 Sperian masks that they carry which are as good as a half-mask and have a comfy seal/exhale vent

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Lol at Chicago bringing back an indoor mask mandate

Places either have one themselves like museum of science and industry or are just not going to enforce it if it's even possible to (i.e. not dining)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fosborb posted:

his statement is amazing

I'm not concerned about covid; all of my covid symptoms are part of my laundry list of chronic health problems already! not even concerned about going to the hospital! my failing flesh routinely needs emergency medical treatment

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Places either have one themselves like museum of science and industry or are just not going to enforce it if it's even possible to (i.e. not dining)

cool, so you'll go to a "nearly empty bar" that totally doesn't have any virus in it, because you thoroughly checked. then you go to indoor public places like MSI. and your children are unvaxxed on top of that. you really topped yourself, MSM.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I guess a lot of people think delta is more of the same? lol while I crack ping every night tucking my kid to sleep

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

Mandates still make a difference because at the very least they greatly reduce the pressure on people who are still masking to take off the mask.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

WaryWarren posted:

cool, so you'll go to a "nearly empty bar" that totally doesn't have any virus in it, because you thoroughly checked. then you go to indoor public places like MSI. and your children are unvaxxed on top of that. you really topped yourself, MSM.

Tayne showed up and made MSM cocky because he wasn't the worst poster in the thread anymore.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

fosborb posted:

his statement is amazing

These dumb hogs have no idea what it's like to be healthy and want to take us all down with them. Good riddance, I hope his obvious underlying conditions gently caress his heart into a lump of zombie flesh.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

WaryWarren posted:

My kid goes back to school next Wednesday I gotta up the chances he's the one that spreads to everyone else

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thoguh posted:

Mandates still make a difference because at the very least they greatly reduce the pressure on people who are still masking to take off the mask.

Yeah probably true

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gently caress that’s bigger than a phish show

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Noted fash shitbag Cardinal Burke is now on a ventilator.

What are the odds on a 72-year old wrinkled piece of poo poo surviving?

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1427709663236268036

as a floridian this just makes me crack and ping and laugh crazily

ok just for fun i'm gonna turn on the local 911 dispatch right now and see how long it takes for just my area (which does not include any big cities) to get to 5 covid or covid-like-symptoms calls

keep in mind these aren't cases, they're people desperately calling the emergency line for help because they can't loving breathe anymore or their heart is exploding

*bell ring*

12 minutes!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

update for first attempt at a booster:

DENIED

filled out form, was getting processed and right before receiving the shot, the pharmacist revealed that she sleuthed out I had received two shots already.

she asked if I had any underlying health conditions and I pulled a clone high lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

update for first attempt at a booster:

DENIED

filled out form, was getting processed and right before receiving the shot, the pharmacist revealed that she sleuthed out I had received two shots already.

she asked if I had any underlying health conditions and I pulled a clone high lmao

lol which pharmacy chain did this happen at?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

etalian posted:

lol which pharmacy chain did this happen at?

KIRKLAND SIGNATURE

it’s wild how guilty I felt lying to Costco :smith:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol Honolulu is out of ICU beds. lmao

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

:same: except my cousin caught OG covid, thought that was good enough, caught delta and has been in a coma on a vent for a week now. :rip:

my cousin never caught the wild type, he tested positive for delta variant on 7/20, a friend of his forced him to go to the doctor on 7/29 and the doctor immediately admitted him to the hospital, he's been in the hospital since then and induced coma and vent today.

christ what an rear end in a top hat

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KIRKLAND SIGNATURE

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I plan on whipping out my "Pass as a wealthy white heterosexual aryan Christian Conservative" act tomorrow when I show up for my vaxx appointment. With any luck they'll assume I'm a chud getting vax #1

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

KIRKLAND SIGNATURE

Will they tear up your membership card?

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

KIRKLAND SIGNATURE

did you at least get a $1.50 hot dog (with refill) on your way out?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
oh lmao the curfew isn’t supposed to prevent covid cases, which are fine and we don’t have to do anything about, it is meant to prevent OTHER injuries since we don’t have any more ICU beds. that’s what the lt. governor just said. lmao. lol.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

KIRKLAND SIGNATURE

of all the places to try it, the one requiring a membership card might be the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

osprey posted:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1427709663236268036

as a floridian this just makes me crack and ping and laugh crazily

ok just for fun i'm gonna turn on the local 911 dispatch right now and see how long it takes for just my area (which does not include any big cities) to get to 5 covid or covid-like-symptoms calls

keep in mind these aren't cases, they're people desperately calling the emergency line for help because they can't loving breathe anymore or their heart is exploding

*bell ring*

12 minutes!

agreed, living in florida really changes your perspective on all this poo poo