Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Hard to evaluate after 60 turns but I’m having a great time and the one-more-turn factor caused me to be late to 2 different meetings. Really intrigued by the era and city mechanics.

Kind of weird to play a game so recognizable as another game (Civ) though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I like it but the AI seems dumb as rocks like most 4x games, no wars seem to be happening either. All the little events that go off when your cities hit some threshold really help establish their personalities though and give me a connection to them, never had that in Civ.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Thom what difficulty and world size you playing on

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
I'm one of the many, many players affected by the multiple different bugs that cause the game to hang or crash entirely when loading. There are some ridiculous things that apparently fix it too, like deleting the Epic store from your computer.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The game takes forever to load on my laptop and it’s a black screen with a white mouse pointer so I thought it was hanging at first. Then after that it loads with a regular load screen. On a decent machine too. This is the gamepass (win10) version.

edit: also I picked the 'I have played strategy games before option' but I'm not sure what difficulty that put me on. I don't think it asked.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 17, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Impermanent posted:

Thom what difficulty and world size you playing on

I got thrown into a pre-set game which seems to have been set to Town so I'm going to try again on Empire.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I haven't had an all-out war yet but have been involved in plenty of border skirmishes. War support was growing quickly for both me and the Phoenicians but they seemed to pull back at the last minute, instead giving into my demands for money as reparations for attacking my scouts.

So even if it wasn't formally a war I thought it was a cool interaction that just doesn't have game space to happen in Civ.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I can't figure out how to get in a war with my neighbour

The declare war button says "war support must be 0", but shouldn't that be 100?

Their war support on me is at 100 because I keep trespassing etc. but mine is still at 50.

I don't think I can get in any border skirmishes because there is no unclaimed land anywhere between us...

e: but anyway cool game so far, no bugs or crashes here. I'm not a fan of adjacency bonus tile planning but oh well.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

fuf posted:

I can't figure out how to get in a war with my neighbour

The declare war button says "war support must be 0", but shouldn't that be 100?

Their war support on me is at 100 because I keep trespassing etc. but mine is still at 50.

I don't think I can get in any border skirmishes because there is no unclaimed land anywhere between us...

e: but anyway cool game so far, no bugs or crashes here. I'm not a fan of adjacency bonus tile planning but oh well.

Actually I think that's a bug. Should read 80.
It's mentioned in the stickied threads on the Steam forums.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah unless your war support also gets up you just have to hope they declare on you. Or declare a surprise war, though I assume there are downsides to that.

Them refusing a treaty gives you a demand, which if pressed seems to start upping your war support. Same for killing any of their units walking around neutral territory.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Still forming an opinion. I'll keep my mouth shut about AI/challenge considerations, just shelving that entirely and looking at it like an Anno game.

It looks nice, and there are some general aspects of the UI and gameflow I really like compared to its peers - I've always respected their UI design and it doesn't disappoint here either.

I'm also appreciating that many systems make sense on a conceptual level immediately - this is directly opposite the way mechanics were presented in Old World, where some of the connections didn't make a lick of sense to me (seemingly arbitrary technologies unlocking unrelated gameplay systems).

The development of your civ feels smoothly organic, which is nice.

I love the fold-out map combat. This is exactly what I wanted from Endless Legend, and it's refined and polished here.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
UI is good. Looks beautiful. Music is nice but I kinda expected more from Amplitude in that regard

AI doesn't seem to be brighr but at least on Empire difficulty (5 of 7) it expands and gets points and advances pretty fast. I don't ask for good AI, I ask for something that gives me a reason to be stressed in a game like this, so that's already better than ES2.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm enjoying Humankind so far. Looks good, the combat is actually fun, and I like the slightly snarky tone of the announcer guy. My only real holdup is the way cities and territory works, but only because I prefer the 'settle anywhere' style of Civilization. Can't be helped and it's not a deal breaker by any means

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

I'm enjoying Humankind so far. Looks good, the combat is actually fun, and I like the slightly snarky tone of the announcer guy. My only real holdup is the way cities and territory works, but only because I prefer the 'settle anywhere' style of Civilization. Can't be helped and it's not a deal breaker by any means

This is actually how I've always wanted Civ to work, I hate having to found tiny worthless cities to just get one resource I need.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm having trouble figuring out what the early expansion should look like. I wanna do a landgrab but that just opens me up to my outposts being culturally assimilated and I have no idea how to deal with that.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Yeah, this expansion phase has a lot of mysteries. What makes outposts vulnerable to cultural assimilation? What affects cost of a new outpost? Do curiosities appear again in places you've already explored? Are you supposed to get an additional bonus from getting all 3 stars in Neolitic era? Cause I got a bonus from the second one but not the third. Does murdering nomads bring any later diplomatic problems? Doesn't seem like it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm interested to see how the game handles the end-game slog. I guess it's my fault for turning of victory point win conditions in Civ, but I never quite loved that and yet end game would often turn into a slog. I know they have "fame" in Humankind. Interested to see how well that works.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Ultrawide loading screen is just stretched to fit. Completely unplayable.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

MorphineMike posted:

I'm one of the many, many players affected by the multiple different bugs that cause the game to hang or crash entirely when loading. There are some ridiculous things that apparently fix it too, like deleting the Epic store from your computer.

This is me too. The crash bug with the leftover beta folders seems to have drowned out the other crash(es) that are still without solid solutions. Ive tried a bunch of things, but drew the line at uninstalling the epic store - if thats actually the issue, ill wait for them to fix it.

Its really put a dampener on the evening tbh.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I've done about 4 hours and have had possibly the best diplomatic interaction I've ever had in a 4x game. My immediate neighbour originally started off fairly friendly but as our borders became more defined they became increasingly pissed off with me especially as I ended up with all the incense production on our continent. They then used a religious crisis to try and force me to give up an incense producing region which I rejected launching us into a war. I had completely neglected my army so had to scrounge up what forces I could to lift a siege on one of my cities and gradually whittle down their armies by trying to pick them off piecemeal in a mountain pass in one of the border regions until I could deal with her larger force which had been threatening my capital. I ended up getting her war support low enough that she surrendered and I got a couple of regions which broke her silk monopoly.

After that I left huge army on her border and I've since been bullying her to give up more of her outlying regions, but she's now allied with the mongols who are on the other side of me and I not longer feel like I can push my luck.

It's been seriously exciting and feels really organic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Only bug I'm seeing so far is I just got a message about being close to defeat in my war against the Carthaginians, who I am not at war with and am in fact allied to.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm at turn 99 at the moment, and having built a couple of wonders now I don't see why they bothered including them. There's a couple who give some interesting bonuses but most are just "+stability, is a holy site without counting against your maximum sites" which gets old really fast.

Neat you can have multiple cities build them tho.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Just heard about this game today. How does it compare to Civ6 as someone who likes the single player AI stuff?

Well, the AI in Civ6 is kinda boring, but you know, like interesting things happening.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I become monothiest?

Anno
May 10, 2017

pro starcraft loser posted:

Just heard about this game today. How does it compare to Civ6 as someone who likes the single player AI stuff?

Well, the AI in Civ6 is kinda boring, but you know, like interesting things happening.

So far very well, imo. Early days though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Jumping in on this fairly blind. Buying the digital deluxe edition. Let's go!!!!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Now that I'm on Empire the AI is beating me very easily to next ages.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Tried to ransack a neighbors capital in the ancient era, no enemy units. Army disintegrates into thin air upon next turn :confused:
edit: was not at war. also, not a fan of how slow the map pans.

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 17, 2021

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Playing a huge map with all the rivers and mountains and cliffs; man the wheel helps out with moving my armies across my empire of outposts.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

First game ended rather ignobly. Ancient era and on my turn i moved a small army onto an undefended minor civ city and captured it outright. Was expecting to be able to loot it or raze or whatever. So I've got -10 influence a turn modifier from being over the cap but it connects my other 2 cities so cool. Next turn I fat finger a solo scouts move and it captures another undefended city. -160 influence a turn now.

Resigned and promised myself I'd be more careful next time.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, this expansion phase has a lot of mysteries. What makes outposts vulnerable to cultural assimilation? What affects cost of a new outpost? Do curiosities appear again in places you've already explored? Are you supposed to get an additional bonus from getting all 3 stars in Neolitic era? Cause I got a bonus from the second one but not the third. Does murdering nomads bring any later diplomatic problems? Doesn't seem like it.

Influence of nearby cities

Distance to and number of other territories (applies to adding new ones to a city) afaict

Yes

No clue

None that I've seen

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Flython posted:

First game ended rather ignobly. Ancient era and on my turn i moved a small army onto an undefended minor civ city and captured it outright. Was expecting to be able to loot it or raze or whatever. So I've got -10 influence a turn modifier from being over the cap but it connects my other 2 cities so cool. Next turn I fat finger a solo scouts move and it captures another undefended city. -160 influence a turn now.

Resigned and promised myself I'd be more careful next time.

Haven't got the game but in Endless Legend you would have a build item called something like salt the earth to raze a city. I doubt there's no way to get rid of a city you don't want.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Baron Porkface posted:

Yeah the religion is really obtuse. It looks like everyone is either polytheist or shamanist? I've not seen any other religions pop up.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Baron Porkface posted:

I tried but ended up pressuring the gas a little too much and welp, state atheism

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I was thinking about trying this game but when I tried to buy it I found out that it was already in my Steam library. I don't remember pre-ordering it though. Is there any sort of weird event that would let me play it on Steam?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Clarste posted:

I was thinking about trying this game but when I tried to buy it I found out that it was already in my Steam library. I don't remember pre-ordering it though. Is there any sort of weird event that would let me play it on Steam?

Gifting?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How do you push back against your stuff being culture converted? Or whatever it’s called.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So, how does this game compare to Civilization VI?

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Has anyone figured out how to change religions? I'd like to reform to the dominant religion on the continent but can't seem to figure out how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How do you push back against your stuff being culture converted? Or whatever it’s called.

I think it’s similar to passive religious spread but with influence. So if nearby territories don’t produce much influence but the other empires’ do then that territory will slowly come under their influence.

The active ability of aesthete empires lets you counter this a bit every 10 turns for some cash.