Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LifeSunDeath posted:

there is zero chance an empty cinderblock weighs 38 pounds. I used to pick those things up easily as a kid and throw em and poo poo, it's maybe 15 pounds max.

Turns out you were a lot stronger as a kid than you thought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

thank you, wow drat they're heavier than I thought.

Memento posted:

Turns out you were a lot stronger as a kid than you thought!

for real.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cinderblocks weigh in at about 28-lbs, about ten pounds less than a concrete block.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Cinderblocks weigh in at about 28-lbs, about ten pounds less than a concrete block.

I refuse to believe you until I see a bathroom scale.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

now I don't know what to believe

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

buttcrackmenace posted:

Related : the needle positions of the tach and speedo on my old Infiniti G20 synced up perfectly in third gear, all the way to redline.
High five, same on my Nighthawk 750 after I went to highway sprockets

MrYenko posted:

Pretty much any postwar RWD American car with a manual transmission will have a 1:1 4th gear. If it has fewer than four gears, it’ll be top gear.
Sure but that doesn't necessarily relate to the tach and speedo gauges matching up

LifeSunDeath posted:

now I don't know what to believe
some of you are thinking of Elgin cinder blocks, and the others are used to western stubbies

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/NBfWc9I.mp4

I hope the transmission went somewhere good

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Should we be worried about the bloodstains?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Zopotantor posted:

Should we be worried about the bloodstains?

I’ll tell you what I tell my wife and kids.

Don’t worry about the blood stains.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Never ask about the blood stains on dad's cinder blocks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Powershift posted:

https://i.imgur.com/NBfWc9I.mp4

I hope the transmission went somewhere good

He's away at a farm playing with other transmissions.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
If you can think of a better way I’d love to hear it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

not a fail but like I'm sure people have mixed feelings on mods like this
https://i.imgur.com/jyA6Hn0.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eh. it doesn't hurt anyone else on the road or make the car unsafe. i'm fine with it

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Its a pretty flagrant distraction to other drivers which can be a citation.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

One could make the argument it makes the car more visible and thus safer.

I’m not saying I agree with that, but I could see the argument being made. It doesn’t seem any more distractive than a flashing light on the roof. I’d be real careful incorporating any red or blue into that, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

um excuse me posted:

Its a pretty flagrant distraction to other drivers which can be a citation.

yet we allow video billboards

Advent Horizon posted:

One could make the argument it makes the car more visible and thus safer.

i generally agree. i run a set of selective yellow fog lamps on my motorcycle 100% of the time because i believe the bright yellow color makes me stand out more in the sea of blue HIDs and LEDs. anything to make other people on the road wake up and look at you.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 17, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It looks cool as hell, for safety purposes it's a problem. Cars have standardized lighting colors and patterns for a reason. If you catch a glimpse of that car is it coming towards you, away from you, or parallel?

I don't like adding confusion to what can be a split second decision in how to avoid a collision.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sagebrush posted:

i generally agree. i run a set of selective yellow fog lamps on my motorcycle 100% of the time because i believe the bright yellow color makes me stand out more in the sea of blue HIDs and LEDs. anything to make other people on the road wake up and look at you.

That's just going to make you blend into street lights for me.

As for that car in question. Think of how that will look on a dark, rainy night with wet pavement reflecting the light. The side lights are going to be constantly washing out lane markers for anyone following behind.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 17, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

There must be brightness settings on those fuckers. One of y'all might know what I'm talking about but the Kings Mill Auto (I think? It's been 10 years) billboards near Cincinnati on i71 are the brightest motherfuckers I have ever seen. Absolutely the brightest object in your vision when they come over the horizon until you pass them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

StormDrain posted:

It looks cool as hell, for safety purposes it's a problem. Cars have standardized lighting colors and patterns for a reason.

I almost drove out in front of a SUV a while ago specifically because for some reason its side lights were on the inside of the headlights, either side of the grille.

Which in the fog gave it the appearance of being much further away than it was. I'm surprised it's legal tbh.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

um excuse me posted:

There must be brightness settings on those fuckers. One of y'all might know what I'm talking about but the Kings Mill Auto (I think? It's been 10 years) billboards near Cincinnati on i71 are the brightest motherfuckers I have ever seen. Absolutely the brightest object in your vision when they come over the horizon until you pass them.

Lol, I do know that sign… and it’s been 10 years since I’ve been to Cincinnati

There are a few that are crazy bright. Plus it’s more of an electronic failure, but if you ever see one of those billboards bugged out, it can be quite an experience. Imagine a broken computer monitor cycling between flashing, solid colors, static etc, but that large. We saw one coming home one night and it was truly crazy and distracting. Surprised it didn’t cause a bunch of accidents (that we know of)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Ulf posted:

If you can think of a better way I’d love to hear it.

Turn the car around and use the charger on the other side

LifeSunDeath posted:

not a fail but like I'm sure people have mixed feelings on mods like this

These are illegal in the UK, and I agree with their reasons.

White lights are used on the front of vehicles, red at the rear, amber for turn signals, blue is reserved for emergency services.

When you mix these up, it can become harder to distinguish the front vs the rear of a car ahead (is it stopped, which way is it facing, etc), it can create confusion if elements such as turn signals are used, it can be mistaken for emergency vehicles, etc.

In this clip, traffic is light and visibility looks good, so sure it looks fine; but do it at night in heavy rain or with thick fog and you get an increased risk of incidents, with no benefit to other drivers.

Where is the line drawn? Can we strobe these in blue, or white? What is the limit on intensity, etc? Sure they can look good on the car if that's the look you're going for, but not on the road.

Also that's a BMW Z4 with a Toyota badge. An impostor of one of the coolest cars of the 90's. An abomination.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Also that's a BMW Z4 with a Toyota badge. An impostor of one of the coolest cars of the 90's. An abomination.

Lol, yep.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Turn the car around and use the charger on the other side

:thejoke:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Well they said they'd love to hear it...I'm all about spreading the love!

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

StormDrain posted:

It looks cool as hell, for safety purposes it's a problem. Cars have standardized lighting colors and patterns for a reason. If you catch a glimpse of that car is it coming towards you, away from you, or parallel?

I don't like adding confusion to what can be a split second decision in how to avoid a collision.

I’m having a real issue calculating firing solutions. What a waste of torpedos!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I’ll tell you what I tell my wife and kids.

Don’t worry about the blood stains.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is Siberia, they likely have been then since good old uncle Joe was in charge and was red terroring about.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It was me. I forgot to pull the center post up on my drain pan today when doing my oil.. ended up with a mini oil spill.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Sagebrush posted:

Death to whomever permitted this to be installed on an unlit urban highway facing into traffic as you descend under it. Having to close one eye to retain your night vision is not, surely, safe. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5332023,-0.021478,3a,75y,322.71h,87.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSqzNtBtDjbxLiz8WkTNF3g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
From the OSHA thread, but it's more a mechanical issue:

https://i.imgur.com/h0t6Knp.mp4

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Mozi posted:

they see me rollin'
they laughin'

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Valt posted:

I think I put 200 cinderblocks (for a hog pit) in the back of my C10. It was uhhhhhh interesting, since it was essentially sitting on the bump stops in the back. Plus any big stops instantly cooked the drums so I barely had any brakes.

I grew up in far west Texas. It's normally dry desert, but when it rains, it loving rains.

The city would give out sandbags when it got particularly bad. I loaded up enough to block in my parents business (didn't do any good when the 80s/early 90s versions of brodozers blasted through), went back, and got enough for the house.

No pics since it was, uh, 1995, but the bed of my 1980 F-150 was packed to the top of the camper shell with sandbags. The back was on the bumpstops, and it could barely move under its own power (351M, so a whopping 138 HP/263 ft lbs... about 200k before I got it). Headlights pointed at the sky, steering didn't really do much.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

From the OSHA thread, but it's more a mechanical dumbass forgot to spay my kitten issue:

FTFY

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Looks kinda like bro there decided they didn’t need any fancy “control arms” or “locating links”.
Not only is physics a bitch, it will make you its bitch.

Science: it works whether you believe in it or not.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I bet that hopper could do one gently caress of a bumper stand.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/RcyytK2.mp4

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Looks like the suspension took that really well.

What is it, a jag or AM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Jag F Type

I had a joke here but apparently the 6 cylinder convertible F type is no longer a thing? Huh.