Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

whalestory posted:

I'm somewhere in the beginning of Stormblood and I've decided to try my hand at tanking with gunbreaker.

My understanding of tanking when there are multiple tanks is that one is the main tank, and the other(s) will be second on enmity list and pick up adds, ready to swap in when needed. And in order to stay second on enmity, I'd just keep tank stance off for a few gcds in the beginning, and shirk the main tank if I ever start getting too close to them. But when do I know when to provoke and swap with the main tank (besides when they die)?

And in terms of defensive cooldowns, I should be using them when there are a lot of adds or a tankbuster-esque attack is about to hit right? The ones with a longer cast time...

It's been pretty fun so far!

Tank swaps aren't really necessary outside of extreme/savage content, where you will be discussing the proper timing for it ahead of time. The only time you have to do it normally is when the other tank dies, and even then it'll be automatic as long as you have your stance on (which you should).

Defensive cooldowns should be used while the boss is attacking, basically, but you have enough that you can keep them rolling and just rotate between them as they wear off. Once you start noticing tankbusters, you can save them for that, but it's not super necessary. Outside of savage/extreme content, tankbusters don't actually bust tanks.

The really powerful cooldowns, the ones that make you immune to damage but have a really long timer (superbolide, hallowed ground, etc), should be used during big trash pulls in dungeons. They're way more dangerous than bosses, and getting that extra time can make a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Kerrzhe posted:

knowing when to tank swap is pretty much reserved for end game fights like extremes and savage, where you'll be expected to have at least watched a video guide first most likely, either pugging or in a static. going through story mode raids i don't remember a case where a tank swap was necessary. you're totally correct on how to stay 2nd on aggro! if you do need to do a tank swap, usually the boss will be casting something, and you just provoke during the cast, and the other tank will shirk afterwards. very simple.

for defense you're right on the money again. part of the game of learning how to tank is figuring out which of the boss's moves are a tank buster as you're fighting. it's just a matter of remembering the name of whatever just hit you hardest.

if you're doing big dungeon pulls, you'll want to spread out your defense skills over time, to maximize efficiency while having at least something up most of the time. Arm's Length, Reprisal, Rampart are universal for all tanks and great for this. I don't play gunbreaker so i dunno what their class specific buttons are other than Superbolide which is the big oh-poo poo button which then makes the healer go oh poo poo :v:

arm's length is also handy in a pinch for DPS classes to use after the tank eats it! :eng101:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Tank swaps aren't arbitrary in this game; basically what will happen is a tankbuster in harder modes (sometimes only in the EX or Savage version of a fight) will put a debuff on the tank, which will lead to bad things happening if the swap doesn't take place during or immediately after the "cast" on the ability (the game is big on having the off tank provoke *during* the cast to swap, which means the buster will hit the original target but subsequent auto tracks go to the former OT).

This again tends to come down to situational experience, but if you end up in a fight with nobody knowing the mechanics and suddenly the MT keels over or starts taking extremely excessive damage right after a tankbuster, they probably have a debuff on them that's causing the issue.

So, just try to remember what the tankbusters are on a normal fight; when you see them on the harder fight look to see if they're applying some sort of debuff or vulnerability in the harder version, then start swapping.

There's other wrinkles to it but that covers most circumstances.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Steve

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The tank swap debuffs happen in normal sometimes but they're never severe enough to actually necessitate swapping.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

I have the best chocobo name

She's Curlyfries

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

My Chocobo name is Rat. It's the first thing I saw.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I took mine from one of the old ChickCam hatches - Peepsquire.

Also - I'm on the free trial so I can't use the market board/retainers, but I also need to engage the True Endgame and do fashion. What's the best/most efficient way to get or make a ton of glamour prisms?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You can buy glamour prisms from the Grand Company Quartermaster if you're high enough rank. Otherwise you can craft your own when you reach level 30? I think in a DoH job. Each one has a different recipe so pick the one that's right for you.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Tempest_56 posted:

I took mine from one of the old ChickCam hatches - Peepsquire.

Also - I'm on the free trial so I can't use the market board/retainers, but I also need to engage the True Endgame and do fashion. What's the best/most efficient way to get or make a ton of glamour prisms?

Turn in gear at your FC for seals, exchange seals for prisms. You will need to have a few promotions under your belt before you can, though, and you can only turn in green gear or better (e.g. dungeon drops).

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

truckfreak

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Regalingualius posted:

Is Machinist generally about as squishy as Samurai is for questing?

machinist/dnc/brd are infinitely less squishy than sam because they can sprint kite an infinite number of mobs. even just regular circle kiting will reduce your incoming damage significantly

the only time this should matter is when you're doing fates alone, or the tank drops and you were #2 on emnity in a dungeon

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kerrzhe posted:

and every dps can do just fine questing if they got their Chocobo out! do not underestimate his power.

Yes. Do not neglect your choco-buddy, they are amazing support to soloing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Boboco

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Mine's named Mister to play off my Mr Mister cheezy 80's song name.

For those who've colored your bird what did you go with me? My buddy is a very pretty Lotus Pink.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nice!

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Sanders

Because I'm not very imaginative.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sunday Morning posted:

Mine's named Mister to play off my Mr Mister cheezy 80's song name.

For those who've colored your bird what did you go with me? My buddy is a very pretty Lotus Pink.

I did it when chocobo plumage fruits were brand new and people hadn't figured out how to do it properly yet, so I was aiming for Cactuar Green but landed on Blood Red on my second attempt and really dug it, so now it feels appropriate when he's running around and I'm spamming Choco Meteor on Blue Mage.

His current barding gives him exhaust pipes and headlights!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Giddyup

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tortolia posted:

I did it when chocobo plumage fruits were brand new and people hadn't figured out how to do it properly yet, so I was aiming for Cactuar Green but landed on Blood Red on my second attempt and really dug it, so now it feels appropriate when he's running around and I'm spamming Choco Meteor on Blue Mage.

His current barding gives him exhaust pipes and headlights!

That's a lovely shade of chocobo.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

My chocobo is Waffles.

My retainers are Donuts and Croissants.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Teioh, after the star chocobo you race against in FFVII. I didn't know I could also colour him black, but now I do...

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

My retainers are cat girls named Champagne and Chardonnay. At the time I thought folks would see them and it'd be funny because haha stripper catgirls. Then I learned only I ever see them.

I'm happy that current me is shaking my head extremely disapprovingly at 8 year ago me and what qualified as humor to me, but alas, Champagne and Chardonnay will be my retainers forever because dammit I'm not paying to change them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Veotax posted:

I called my Horsebird Steve. I like giving my pets mundane names in games. When I played around with a demon summoning Master Mind in City of Heroes I renamed all my demons stuff like 'Bob', 'Steve' 'Alan' and so on.

Yo what the gently caress my chocobo is also named Steve lmao

E:
:stare:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is there any way of determining how much time Rook Turret has left?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Working my way through the MSQ. I just did the first trial, against Ifrit. Because I did a bunch of side-quests, I'm probably over-leveled (at Lvl.29), but I guess that's why Level Sync is a thing. Once again, my current goal is to hit Level 30 to get in on the current event stuff (Moonfire Faire bear mount), but I've got plenty time before that ends.

I have a bunch of question come to mind when playing, but I forget most of them. Here's what I wrote down from today's session:

• The other day I tried crafting (specifically weaving), and it's not quite what I was expecting. It comes across as a mix of luck and strategizing, where, if you're not going purely for basic construction, you have balance action points and item durability to try and get a high quality item. I think I got to Weaver Level 15 in a short amount of time (a couple of hours). I was loaded up on Lightning Crystals through previous quests or something, but I had to buy the other materials. I wasn't sure what to do with most of the items, so I just sold them at one of NPC vendors. I imagine you have to get to a pretty high level before you can start making stuff that you (or other people) would really want. I think I also need to find/learn the Gather trade to collect stuff for it so it isn't as much of a money drain.
  • When I went to repair my gear, I got a tutorial pop-up telling me that I could repair gear my self and exceed 100%. I haven't found a place to teach repairs, but I'm wondering if it's necessary, since I'm a Thamauturge/Black Mage, so I won't be taking damage in group fights.
  • So far, I've been mainly using the Blizzard 1/Fire 1/Thunder 1 spells. I've gotten access to the 2nd Level versions of the spells, but Fire and Blizzard don't seem that useful at this point; I know they're for doing AOE damage against multiple enemies, but I've encounter few situations where it's been useful. I've used Thunder 2 somewhat, but what I'm curious about is if I should replace Thunder 1 on my hotbar. It looks like the spells go up to Level 4, but I don't know if just straight-upgrade to the next level of spells, or choose between certain levels based on the enemy or enemies. I'm also wondering if there are elemental weaknesses. Ifrit seemed to make more damage from Blizzard, thought I think I fought an Earth Elemental, and was able to inflict it with Thunder.
  • I've noticed weather effects (mostly rain and cloudy skies), but I'm wondering if it has any effect on anything. I know there's a weather-caster NPC in town, but as far as I can tell, it's just a cosmetic thing.
  • Now that I've beat Ifrit, I can choose one of the Grand Companies. I'm wondering if there's any upsides/downsides to what company you pick. I was going to go with the Immortal Blades, since I started out in Ul'dah. I know you can change over to another company later if you want (for free the first time, but with a payment after that).

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Is there any way of determining how much time Rook Turret has left?

I know on the normal gauge, there's a countdown on the left of the battery meter when you have it summoned.

EDIT:

Max Wilco posted:

Working my way through the MSQ. I just did the first trial, against Ifrit. Because I did a bunch of side-quests, I'm probably over-leveled (at Lvl.29), but I guess that's why Level Sync is a thing. Once again, my current goal is to hit Level 30 to get in on the current event stuff (Moonfire Faire bear mount), but I've got plenty time before that ends.

I have a bunch of question come to mind when playing, but I forget most of them. Here's what I wrote down from today's session:

• The other day I tried crafting (specifically weaving), and it's not quite what I was expecting. It comes across as a mix of luck and strategizing, where, if you're not going purely for basic construction, you have balance action points and item durability to try and get a high quality item. I think I got to Weaver Level 15 in a short amount of time (a couple of hours). I was loaded up on Lightning Crystals through previous quests or something, but I had to buy the other materials. I wasn't sure what to do with most of the items, so I just sold them at one of NPC vendors. I imagine you have to get to a pretty high level before you can start making stuff that you (or other people) would really want. I think I also need to find/learn the Gather trade to collect stuff for it so it isn't as much of a money drain.
  • When I went to repair my gear, I got a tutorial pop-up telling me that I could repair gear my self and exceed 100%. I haven't found a place to teach repairs, but I'm wondering if it's necessary, since I'm a Thamauturge/Black Mage, so I won't be taking damage in group fights.
  • So far, I've been mainly using the Blizzard 1/Fire 1/Thunder 1 spells. I've gotten access to the 2nd Level versions of the spells, but Fire and Blizzard don't seem that useful at this point; I know they're for doing AOE damage against multiple enemies, but I've encounter few situations where it's been useful. I've used Thunder 2 somewhat, but what I'm curious about is if I should replace Thunder 1 on my hotbar. It looks like the spells go up to Level 4, but I don't know if just straight-upgrade to the next level of spells, or choose between certain levels based on the enemy or enemies. I'm also wondering if there are elemental weaknesses. Ifrit seemed to make more damage from Blizzard, thought I think I fought an Earth Elemental, and was able to inflict it with Thunder.
  • I've noticed weather effects (mostly rain and cloudy skies), but I'm wondering if it has any effect on anything. I know there's a weather-caster NPC in town, but as far as I can tell, it's just a cosmetic thing.
  • Now that I've beat Ifrit, I can choose one of the Grand Companies. I'm wondering if there's any upsides/downsides to what company you pick. I was going to go with the Immortal Blades, since I started out in Ul'dah. I know you can change over to another company later if you want (for free the first time, but with a payment after that).

Gear loses durability at roughly the same rate whether you're a tank or not, so being able to repair your gear is still useful as a BLM.

I believe the level 4 spells are straight upgrades, but 1 2 and 3 aren't. Well, 3 does more damage than 1, but it also costs more. There are technically elemental weaknesses but they do not matter.

Weather is primarily a crafting/gathering thing.

GC choice is almost entirely cosmetic.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 18, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Max Wilco posted:

The early crafting materials are so cheap that you can just buy them when you need them and sell them. You're probably not going to need them later, and if you do, you can always go back and buy them again. Crafting ends up taking up a ton of inventory space, as you've seen, so you want to leave it as open as possible.

You can repair your own stuff if you get your crafting level high enough for the appropriate job, I don't think you have to learn it as a separate skill. It's not really something you need to worry about, gear repairs are cheap and only become a problem if you're dying a lot, which usually only happens in savage/extreme content.

As you've seen, the spell naming conventions are not always straight upgrades, but often have different purposes. Generally, if an ability is just an upgrade, it will just replace the old ability entirely, without you having to do anything. For example, paladins have a combo finisher called Rage of Halone which turns into Royal Authority at level 60. You can't even use Rage of Halone after that, it is automatically replaced on your hotbar. AOE attacks like fire 2 are useful for dungeon trash and pretty much nothing else. Definitely do use them then, though, even with the low potency it makes things go a lot faster.

Elemental weaknesses used to be a thing, back in 2.0 I think? Maybe 1.0? But even back then they didn't have a big impact, and nowadays are not a system that even exists in the game. All the "fire-aspected damage" stuff is just leftovers from that, or just for flavor.

Weather effects are mostly cosmetic. There are some special weather effects that indicate that a special rare boss FATE has been triggered, they'll have a weird name like Pressure or High Levin or something. They also matter for the sightseeing log in ARR, which can be very annoying.

Your grand company only matters for a) the location of the guild, some are a lot easier/faster to get to than others, and b) glamour. The high-level gear looks completely different for them (high level being 50, so only for glamour). The Flames are popular because their company office is really close to the Ul'dah aetheryte plaza.

The Scions HQ is always in the Waking Sands. It used to be really annoying, they only started handing out aetheryte tickets in patch 5.3 last year. You had to always teleport to Horizon and run over there over and over again! Uphill both ways, in the snow!!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Apart from cosmetics, the only real difference between the Grand Companies is the location of their NPCs. The Immortal Flames are easily accessed from the Ul'dah aethercyte, which kind of makes them the best from a convenience perspective.

Do not replace Thunder 1 with Thunder 2. There's value in Thunder 2, but in single-target situations (which also applies to small groups) Thunder 1 is straight up superior.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Begemot posted:

Elemental weaknesses used to be a thing, back in 2.0 I think? Maybe 1.0? But even back then they didn't have a big impact, and nowadays are not a system that even exists in the game. All the "fire-aspected damage" stuff is just leftovers from that, or just for flavor.

In the case of BLM specifically this isn't quite right since they inform which of your spells are impacted by Astral/Umbral mechanics. But no, ice-looking enemies won't take extra damage from Fire or anything like that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
As a black mage, you'll actually eventually want be using both Fire IV and Fire I, for mechanics you haven't seen yet.

For AOE ones, like Fire II, well, you can see it by looking at their potencies. Fire I is:
Deals fire damage with a potency of 180, with 2.5s cast.

While Fire II is:
Deals fire damage with a potency of 80 to target and all enemies nearby it, with 3s cast.

So with 3 or more enemies in target area you end up doing more damage, as 80*(2.5s/3s) * 3 = 200.
(Though the boost mechanics from fire phase complicate things)

3 target cutoff seems to be the usual case...

I am too lazy to do stuff for thunder 2, but it's also worse if you're not AOEing --- if you look at the numbers in the tooltip in-game, or on
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/blackmage/
you'll see it's a weaker DoT (though the same initial hit), and takes longer to cast. So for a single target (e.g. a boss!) it would be inferior.

... Blizard II is also a little goofy since it has zero range, but then you'll eventually get Freeze, which is almost a straight upgrade over Blizard II, except you may want to keep the button for if you get synced down.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Vendor gear repairs are generally cheap so self repair is more of a convenience thing, especially since you can carry a stack of dark matter around and be set for months at a time. You can repair mid instance or even mid fight if you want.

Feel free to play with it but unless you get into omnicrafting you'll still have to use repair NPCs at times.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And you can repair up to 199% durability so you never have to see a red bar again

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

One thing weather has an effect on is fishing. Some fish can only be caught during certain weather conditions.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

cheetah7071 posted:

And you can repair up to 199% durability so you never have to see a red bar again

This is only true until you assemble your final set of level 80 gear. If you keep playing enough after that (or just die a lot) you will eventually have to repair your gear a second or even third time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

This is only true until you assemble your final set of level 80 gear. If you keep playing enough after that (or just die a lot) you will eventually have to repair your gear a second or even third time.

Well I more meant that when you do see gear below 100% you can just instantly repair it. So you do see red bars, very briefly, before you destroy them

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just unlocked Ninja and :stare:

Things escalated fast.

Also if you whiff on your combo it summons a bunny to sit on your head for a few seconds which is both pointless and adorable.

e. It's dressed like a black mage, which is important.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Zenithe posted:

Things escalated fast.

Also if you whiff on your combo it summons a bunny to sit on your head for a few seconds which is both pointless and adorable.

The SHAME RABBIT.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

Things escalated fast.

I made the mistake of starting NIN partway through my BLM levelling and I don't think I'm going back. The heavy APM was initially daunting but the majority of it is just from your ninjutsu, which were fairly easy to get the hang of when I stopped trying to remember the sign names and just focused on 3-2-1, 1-2-3, 1-2, 1-2, etc.

BLM feels great to play against dummies, but man as soon as mechanics are added in it's just a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

acumen posted:

I made the mistake of starting NIN partway through my BLM levelling and I don't think I'm going back. The heavy APM was initially daunting but the majority of it is just from your ninjutsu, which were fairly easy to get the hang of when I stopped trying to remember the sign names and just focused on 3-2-1, 1-2-3, 1-2, 1-2, etc.

BLM feels great to play against dummies, but man as soon as mechanics are added in it's just a headache.

One mnemonic trick for NIN mudras is that it only matters that you don't repeat and what ability you end on. For instance 3-2 & 1-2 are the same, 1-3-2 & 3-1-2 are the same, etc. At least I found it easier to remember that haste is a 3-hit combo ending in 1, aoe is a 2-hit ending in 1, and so on than memorizing specific combos.

Max Wilco posted:

In addition to the mentioned:
- There is some luck in crafting, but probably less than you think. With up to date gear (or just some HQ ingredients) you can HQ every craft while leveling. This is more work than most people want to put in, and definitely not necessary. You unlock much faster ways to level crafters later, the first of which is daily Grand Company turn ins very soon.
- Weather primarily affects Fishing, which has several fish you can only catch in specific weather. Fishing is very much a game onto itself: most fish you can catch have no other in game use, not even in cooking.
- As someone mentioned, if a spell is a straight upgrade it'll just replace its predecessor. As BLM this will for instance happen for Thunder I, which becomes Thunder III. It will not happen to any of your Fire spells, which all do different things. You'll use Fire I, III and IV for different things in the end game rotation.
- E: On shards for crafting, the low level crafting job quests give you several hundred per since they're not sold by the crafting vendors. This wont last until higher level crystals, but those are pretty cheap on the market board nowadays.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 18, 2021