Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea the fact that there’s 12 starters isn’t so bad, its the fact that there’s already 2 rbs and 3 wrs, and then on top of that, these weird specific flex slots too, including a superflex.

Just make it 2rb 3 wr, and 3 generic rb/wr/te flex spots and it’s not so bad. Or 1 superflex and 2 generic flex slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just remember that your first two picks are the best QBs available.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

kiimo posted:

Just remember that your first two picks are the best QBs available.

have to assume this is a joke, right?

well, i don't know. with 12 teams, and 2 potential qb slots, and this being a keeper league and qb being the most keepable, maybe that is the way to go?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

have to assume this is a joke, right?

well, i don't know. with 12 teams, and 2 potential qb slots, and this being a keeper league and qb being the most keepable, maybe that is the way to go?

In SF/2 QB leagues QBs dominate the first round

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea 80% of the first 2 rounds are gonna be nothing but QB’s.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
QBs go fast but there isn't enough difference between the 8-14th best QBs to not take a top-10 RB or Kelce if they're available in the 2nd

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was thinking 10 team leagues where securing those QBs is pretty paramount. At least that's my strategy.

The X-man cometh posted:

QBs go fast but there isn't enough difference between the 8-14th best QBs to not take a top-10 RB or Kelce if they're available in the 2nd

I was thinking more like the difference between the #10 - #20 QB and whatever is left in the third round if you don't take a QB in the second.

In my league CMC is the only non-QB ranked in the top 20 of players. Obviously this doesn't matter in a one QB system but your options for that second QB in the third round are bleak.

Maybe some of you can make that draft work out to take advantage of positional strength with TE and not get hosed with your second QB being like Carson Wentz or something but I'm personally not good enough to try. You would definitely need a plan. Also my league is a loving snake league so take that into account too I guess.

edit: after thinking about this, I guess if some RBs are sneaking into the second you have a better shot. There are more experienced superflex guys here that know more than me

kiimo fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 18, 2021

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I think it's really important to respond to how your league drafts, especially when it's new. There's a decent chance QBs drop way more than they "should", if people haven't played much or any superflex before. So try to insulate yourself to risk with one good QB early if possible, then don't be too scared to wait if people are letting QBs drop. Of course grab a 2nd if they're flying off the draft board, but adapt to your draft too.

e: I'm 100% dynasty superflex, never done redraft, so ymmv

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I would also be terrified if I was relying on that super RB over that super second QB just on account of how more often RBs get injured than QBs so I always figured that's safer.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

kiimo posted:

I would also be terrified if I was relying on that super RB over that super second QB just on account of how more often RBs get injured than QBs so I always figured that's safer.

Safer maybe, but if that RB is going to outscore the next RB you would otherwise get by more than that second QB will outscore the next QB you’d get then it’s still an advantage. Top RB tiers typically have a more dramatic fall of from one to the next than other positions.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh, so let me clarify.

first off, this is not the first season. it's actually been going on for 16yr or so, and has gone through multiple changes throughout the years.

second, one of those big changes is a move from 10 teams to 12 teams. i am one of the new teams.

furthermore, the keeper system is weird. any keeper you want costs $35 from your budget. a keeper's cost is not dependent on their draft price. they are thinking about changing that for next season. regardless, each keeper will cost $35 this season. a manager can keep 3 players at most. draft budget is $210.

in any case, i got last year's draft and started analyzing how this group drafts. it's very, very different than what i would think! here are the managers and who they kept:

team 1:
julio jones
ezekiel elliot

team 2:
alvin kamara

team 3:
dalvin cook

team 4:
clyde edwards-helaire

team 5:
lamar jackson
patrick mahomes

team 6:
kenyan drake

team 7:
christian mccaffrey

team 8:
tyreek hill
nick chubb

team 9:
derrick henry

team 10:
davante adams
saquon barkley
austin ekeler

so each of these guys was $35. only two qb kept, which seems to fly in the face of the way you all were thinking? not really sure what to make of it, but it seems i'll have to play to the league. i'll surely spring for two qb studs as it seems they'll come cheap.

also looking at the draft, they drafted a few guys above $35. they are:

michael thomas $39
josh jacobs $39

other big names that might help gauge the league:

kittle $21
godwin $27
conner $20
watson $18
kelce $25
mixon $33
smith-schuster $18
a robinson $20
evans $24
kupp $18
rodgers $11
mostert $22
sanders $34
andrews $16
brady $6
k murray $16
gurley $17
d johnson $18
a jones $34
ridley $24
dj moore $21
m brown $17
thielen $22
cooper $22
beckham $22
prescott $16
aj green $13
metcalf $26
taylor $30
singletary $22
golladay $24
sutton $19
allen $15
hunt $17
aj brown $24
carson $19
woods $16
mclaurin $22
hopkins $30
r wilson $16

so yea, sorry for the long post, but genuinely curious what i'm up against here. seems nuts based on what you all are saying?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Your league drafts weird. In what world does Christian McCaffrey get drafted in a $210 auction for $35. I can't picture it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

he was kept at $35. anyone in that part of the post was a keeper, and each keeper costs $35.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I think the second QB is getting very overvalued in the thread based on the league rules because you still need a ton of money for some combination of 10 RBs, WRs, and TEs :wtc:. Normal 2 QB or superflex leagues are at ~ 3:1 ratio of position guys to QBs, while this league is 5:1, more similar to a 1 QB league, so player values probably follow some. Obviously you still want 2 solid QBs and a serviceable 3rd for bye week or injury replacements, but you could recoup the points lost with budget QBs if you have better RB4s and WR5s compared to other teams (or the opposite with budget WRs and better QBs). Bizarre rules, feels more like you are just managing two teams mashed together in one, but with one of the teams being really bad.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 18, 2021

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

abelwingnut posted:

he was kept at $35. anyone in that part of the post was a keeper, and each keeper costs $35.

Oh I understand. I'm just saying that last year I never saw him go less than $50. That holds true for a bunch of guys. I just can't imagine 10 people looking at CMC and saying "$36? Pass"

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Sataere posted:

Oh I understand. I'm just saying that last year I never saw him go less than $50. That holds true for a bunch of guys. I just can't imagine 10 people looking at CMC and saying "$36? Pass"

Not sure why I designated myself as a white knight for some league I am not in, outside of enjoying leagues with weird rules to throw off standard ADPs - but I assume $35 for this league is worth fairly close to $50 from a standard $200 budget auction league and probably more, just because you need to afford so many more players. No idea how many bench spots there are, but not only do you have a lot less money per player to spend, you also have more competition for players since people need a lot of them to fill a roster. Most people spend significantly less on their bench than starting roster, so in a standard auction people let you have Jarvis Landry for $2 because they already have full rosters and don't really care about bidding bench guys up, but when you need to start 6 WR or whatever suddenly there is a lot more interest in those guys and they might end up costing $10 since everyone is still building a starting roster. From the mock 2QB auction that Drunk Nerds ran a few weeks ago, just adding a second QB depressed prices some for non-QBs since people need to budget more money for both more expensive QBs and a second one, throw a whole clown car of random position players into the mix and everyone will be cheaper compared to a standard league, except RB3-5s and WR4-7s because those guys are going to be in starting lineups vs on the bench or WW.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 18, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: nevermind, I'm dumb.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the $35 for keepers is a flat fee. even if the manager paid $150 for him the previous season, he would be $35 the next, and the next, and the next, and the next. and so forth. he should almost certainly be higher, by how much i don't know. but there was zero chance mccaffrey could have cost more or less than $35 as he was a keeper.

sorry for the derail on all of this btw! just looking for tips as fantasy football feels like a whole different planet nowadays.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

abelwingnut posted:

sorry for the derail on all of this btw! just looking for tips as fantasy football feels like a whole different planet nowadays.
This hits home real hard. My keeper league took a pause last year because of the unpredictability of Covid and we just did a one-off redraft. Now we’re starting the keeper league back up and swapped out the guy who never really participated with an old friend who doesn’t watch the NFL anymore but likes to banter and his buddy is going to help him draft and set rosters. We selected keepers and I’m looking at available players and just feel like I don’t know or remember half these dudes anymore or how they performed last season. Time is wack, yo.

Anyway here is my predicament: I’m 5th pick in a 10-team .5PPR but also have the 12th overall due to trades carrying over. All the elite RBs are kept or will be picked by the time I’m up so it leaves me with a handful of rookie or 1-to-2-year vet RBs to choose from.

Najee Harris (will probably get taken but listing him anyway)
Antonio Gibson (same)
CEH
Chris Carson
DMont
JK Dobbins
Josh Jacobs
Miles Sanders
Darrell Henderson

Right now I would love to see Gibson fall to me and then hopefully get Dobbins or Henderson with #12. CEH feels like a trap due to the backfield and redzone work, and I can’t bring myself to take Fumble Machine Chris Carson again. Is there a strong case for any of these guys or is this the group that you just grit your teeth and take the good with the bad?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Your league is a whole different planet . I have so many questions
- why $210 budget, why not $200?
- How did the two superflex slots come to exist in a 16 year old league in the first place? Did they switch platforms, because otherwise you just click auto-renew and keep the same roster slots
- Why does each keeper cost $35, that virtually ensures there will be no superstar talent thrown back into the auction unless they have been rostered 3 years
- what's with the 1 rb/wr slot? There's already three opportunities to flex TE, do we really gotta make sure no one can start their 5th tight end because it will break the league?

Still only the third-weirdest auction league I've encountered this week. There's this league that allows sloughing off capital and trading players for future auction budget, so one guy tanked and ended up with twice as much $ as anyone else and has the most dominant team ever now. Then there's a lady whose commissioner is insisting the auction be completed with all bots, making everyone's team pretty much random and lovely.

Stop making auctions look bad, commissioners! They are pure and good!

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Whoreson Welles posted:

This hits home real hard. My keeper league took a pause last year because of the unpredictability of Covid and we just did a one-off redraft. Now we’re starting the keeper league back up and swapped out the guy who never really participated with an old friend who doesn’t watch the NFL anymore but likes to banter and his buddy is going to help him draft and set rosters. We selected keepers and I’m looking at available players and just feel like I don’t know or remember half these dudes anymore or how they performed last season. Time is wack, yo.

Anyway here is my predicament: I’m 5th pick in a 10-team .5PPR but also have the 12th overall due to trades carrying over. All the elite RBs are kept or will be picked by the time I’m up so it leaves me with a handful of rookie or 1-to-2-year vet RBs to choose from.

Antonio Gibson (same)
CEH
Chris Carson
DMont
JK Dobbins
Josh Jacobs
Miles Sanders
Darrell Henderson

Right now I would love to see Gibson fall to me and then hopefully get Dobbins or Henderson with #12. CEH feels like a trap due to the backfield and redzone work, and I can’t bring myself to take Fumble Machine Chris Carson again. Is there a strong case for any of these guys or is this the group that you just grit your teeth and take the good with the bad?

I think we have different preferences, because I like CEH and Carson much more than the other guys (assuming Harris and Gibson are gone). I am generally down on Montgomery and Sanders, I like Dobbins a lot but my main concern with him is the number of touches since Jackson and Edwards will both significantly eat into his carries, and I think Jacobs and Henderson could be good values at their lower ADP, but it seems like there are so many keepers you do not benefit from that if you need to take them as early as 12.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Whoreson Welles posted:

Antonio Gibson (same)
CEH
Chris Carson
DMont
JK Dobbins
Josh Jacobs
Miles Sanders
Darrell Henderson

I think you're underselling CEH, but I can dig it. What about receivers? I'd look hard at a top flight guy who wasn't kept.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Yeah I didn’t bring up available receivers because I’m tired of being one of those guys who doesn’t luck out on an elite RB to keep for several years. The problem is none of these guys are likely one of those yet unless they really establish themselves this season but due to our keeper point system, taking them in the first or second round already starts them with a high value that they probably won’t live up to.

I’m keeping Kittle, McLaurin, Robert Woods, and Chase Edmonds which is why I’m in the hunt for an RB pair so badly. Available high WRs are Justin Jefferson, Amari, CeeDee, ARob, Mike Evans, DJ Moore.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Dipped out of fantasy football last season but am back in a league this year. Curious if there's any recommendations for sites or apps that provide draft and sit/start advice, I don't have a lot of time to devote to this so I find it helpful to have source a resource. I used to use Footballguys and was generally satisfied with it, looks like they have a 30-day moneyback guarantee so I could always try it for the draft and first couple weeks then drop it if I'm not finding it helpful.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Fantasypros is alright

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Levin posted:

Dipped out of fantasy football last season but am back in a league this year. Curious if there's any recommendations for sites or apps that provide draft and sit/start advice, I don't have a lot of time to devote to this so I find it helpful to have source a resource. I used to use Footballguys and was generally satisfied with it, looks like they have a 30-day moneyback guarantee so I could always try it for the draft and first couple weeks then drop it if I'm not finding it helpful.

I buy FootballGuys' draft app every year and pair it with Beersheets, it's worked pretty well for me. For in-season management i just use Fantasypros' free version of MyPlaybook and of course this forum.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pain of Mind posted:

I think the second QB is getting very overvalued in the thread based on the league rules because you still need a ton of money for some combination of 10 RBs, WRs, and TEs :wtc:. Normal 2 QB or superflex leagues are at ~ 3:1 ratio of position guys to QBs, while this league is 5:1, more similar to a 1 QB league, so player values probably follow some. Obviously you still want 2 solid QBs and a serviceable 3rd for bye week or injury replacements, but you could recoup the points lost with budget QBs if you have better RB4s and WR5s compared to other teams (or the opposite with budget WRs and better QBs). Bizarre rules, feels more like you are just managing two teams mashed together in one, but with one of the teams being really bad.

See this is what I was talking about with dynasty guys knowing more than me I didn't even think to consider this because up to now we didn't use budgets

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Would you rather have Reagor or Singletary in a vacuum.

1ppr Dynasty league

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

1ppr Dynasty league

I guess Reagor, but whichever you like is fine

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'll take living my days out in the vacuum

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RCarr posted:

1ppr Dynasty league

Do what I did, own both

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I do own both haha

I need to drop or trade one for salary relief in order to use my picks this year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RCarr posted:

I do own both haha

I need to drop or trade one for salary relief in order to use my picks this year.

I'd probably keep Raegor over Devin, you might be able to get more trade value for Devin if the Zack Moss owner is worried about Zack's health.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Whoreson Welles posted:

Yeah I didn’t bring up available receivers because I’m tired of being one of those guys who doesn’t luck out on an elite RB to keep for several years. The problem is none of these guys are likely one of those yet unless they really establish themselves this season but due to our keeper point system, taking them in the first or second round already starts them with a high value that they probably won’t live up to.

I’m keeping Kittle, McLaurin, Robert Woods, and Chase Edmonds which is why I’m in the hunt for an RB pair so badly. Available high WRs are Justin Jefferson, Amari, CeeDee, ARob, Mike Evans, DJ Moore.

While I get it, CeeDee and JJ are both more valuable than all those running backs outside of Harris, Gibson, and CEH. Don't draft by position, draft by value. Reaching for value is a good way to end up mediocre.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'd probably keep Raegor over Devin, you might be able to get more trade value for Devin if the Zack Moss owner is worried about Zack's health.

Yea I made him available and someone offered me a 2nd next year for him so I’m gonna take that and run. Especially considering I’d have to drop him anyway.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

Yea I made him available and someone offered me a 2nd next year for him so I’m gonna take that and run. Especially considering I’d have to drop him anyway.

Hell yeah

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

See this is what I was talking about with dynasty guys knowing more than me I didn't even think to consider this because up to now we didn't use budgets

Jokes on you I have never done dynasty and I know nothing.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Sataere posted:

Reaching for value is a good way to end up mediocre.
I’m writing this 15 times on my draft sheet.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Whoreson Welles posted:

I’m writing this 15 times on my draft sheet.

I’m circling CEH’s name until the paper rips and I can stick his name onto my fridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Have two dynasty auctions this weekend, with one being the start-up (so including rookies). Fortunately both start at 6 AM so I can be extra sleepy and stressed during hour 4 or whatever