Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Tree Bucket posted:

I am definitely buying this, and I am definitely waiting a couple of weeks for the bugs to get squished!
How does the "pick a new civ" thing feel when it comes to a sense of continuity? Like, if I have a long-running rivalry with the Romans, does that kind of carry across when they become Japan or whatever?

It carries and it's weird. I ended another civilization just as they changed, so I murdered millions of Babylonians, then the game tells me the Greeks are no more.

I'd like some sort of view that easily told me what the other civs used to be, would make it slightly less confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
btw if you have too many cities or want to get rid of an outpost: hit the All Cities button top right and Liberate them

thoughts on the game: lost my Scout on turn 1 and it just kept dumping on me from there, trying to learn I made so many mistakes I have like half the Fame of the Nr. 1

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Tree Bucket posted:

How does the "pick a new civ" thing feel when it comes to a sense of continuity? Like, if I have a long-running rivalry with the Romans, does that kind of carry across when they become Japan or whatever?

Honestly it feels little more than Endless Space 2 party election thing. Every civ is labeled with affinity with a bonus exactly like ES2 party would bring (expansionists can ignore closed borders, scientific people can research into the next era etc) plus a building and a unit. The building is often strong but there are 6 eras in the game and you won't have a lot of time to build them. Units might require resource you don't even have. Special traits remain but they aren't that big, at least early on. To me it feels like I'm playing ES2 but there's only one faction in the game, but they have more powerful laws and mission bonuses.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

One silly thing you can do if you have a lot of influence to burn is to move the outpost all over the province in order to rapidly scout out the entire province in one turn. It eats up influence but it's worth it.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My biggest complaint right now is how annoying it is to see your borders.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

champagne posting posted:

It carries and it's weird. I ended another civilization just as they changed, so I murdered millions of Babylonians, then the game tells me the Greeks are no more.

I'd like some sort of view that easily told me what the other civs used to be, would make it slightly less confusing.

It would be nice if you named your civilization and that was used as a primary identifier much like how you can create a flag/avatar.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

WarEternal posted:

My biggest complaint right now is how annoying it is to see your borders.

yeah you absolutely have to change the AI colors so there is no samey colors, I think 6 players is max that way

also I like to play so far zoomed in I still see the terrain, but then it's super hard to tell whats a district and whats just claimed (especially farm districts just look like the surrounding farms)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The middle zoom level where everything is grey really is weird. One of the reviewers mentioned it and yeah I dunno what they were thinking with that.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
maybe it's just my civ brain but copper and horses seem really loving rare

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

It seems like you need trade to get strategic resources. Can't just go to war against the entire world.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tree Bucket posted:

I am definitely buying this, and I am definitely waiting a couple of weeks for the bugs to get squished!

It feels a bit weird, but the avatar and their colours remain the same so there is a sense of rivalry in a way. So it feels a bit like "I'm having a rivalry with the blue horse faction to my north who is represented by Boudicca, and now Boudicca is wearing celtic clothes instead of Harappan" or whatever when they radically change cultures. It feels more like you have a rivalry with the avatar than with the civilisation as a whole?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Yeah I wish they had come up with a different system for this.

I guess really my main impression after playing yesterday is of how similar the game is to Civ. Which lots of people are probably happy about but I'm a little disappointed it doesn't feel more different to play.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sheesh, either I settled next to tiny horses or mammoths are bigger than I always thought

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

fuf posted:

The middle zoom level where everything is grey really is weird. One of the reviewers mentioned it and yeah I dunno what they were thinking with that.

i hate it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

They're a little less rare when you take into account that trading resources doesn't actually exchange them - it produces a duplicate for the purchaser.
My first game's going alright. I went Harappan, to take full advantage of these great river-valleys around my start, then Mayan, to get big production. I managed to take a bunch of land from the Persians - do not underestimate Immortals, by the way, I just barely beat them with ranged spam - and went Teutonic just in time to get a bunch of expansion stars. Teutonic pairs really nicely with a dominant religion. I'm now desparately searching for the new world so I can get some more expansion done before the Early Modern.

I find, as with the beta, that there's a lot of infrastructure that provides pretty marginal gains when compared to just making the city bigger.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

almost as annoying: Mouse-over on an icon doesn't tell you what it is. So the weird spool is copper, the horse of course is horse and there's a lightning bolt which corresponds to coal ???

user experience madness

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You can claim a wonder you can't build, and you can't unclaim it :shepface:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Endless Legend had the same issues with the secretive map. Special tiles and resources were just a small glitter in the ground. Hard to distinguish from other objects like explorable temples or neutral villages. Once you've discovered a village you'd get a message with the info about this minor race. To see this info again you'd have to be in a position when you can assimilate this faction. Clicking the village icon has no effect.

Humankind is much better in that regard.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

victrix posted:

You can claim a wonder you can't build, and you can't unclaim it :shepface:

Do I have to destroy the very memory of your civilization to be able to build it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So this game won't let me select true fullscreen mode, doesn't support vsync in the borderless windowed mode, and most bafflingly, only lets you set a FPS cap in 10 FPS increments. Why on earth would they make it that way?

edit: thankfully, forcing vsync/freesync in the AMD drivers worked for me.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 18, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I always assumed borderless fullscreen means forced v-sync so this option is pointless.

Here's a savage ending to PC Gamer Humankind review:

"But now that Amplitude has made its Civilization, I really hope it goes back to making Alpha Centauris."

https://www.pcgamer.com/humankind-review/

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

ilitarist posted:

"But now that Amplitude has made its Civilization, I really hope it goes back to making Alpha Centauris."

Yeah a hearty amen to that. There's another great quote that it "could have been at least 20% more weird". I won't regret buying this as I definitely want them to continue making Endless games buuut this is far from their greatest showing. There is so much from Endless Legend missing - the weaving of narratives and RPG mechanics (we couldn't have had famous figures from each culture as playable hero/general type units?) the personality of the planet/landscape (I mean, what was wrong with the summer/winter cycle that it would be completely ditched?), the asymmetric main factions, the interesting and varied minor factions..

I expect a lot of this ground may be covered by future DLCs but I hope after they've got it all out of their system they go back to what they are best at. Turning this studio into a factory for the next 5 Humankind sequels would be a tragedy too intense for my whining, privileged brain to handle.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Yeah, while Humankind is good and I'm sure has a bunch of potential from DLC's, their Endless universe is just a cooler game setting.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So has anyone played this yet on a stadia lol

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Conversely, I have no real interest in the endless space stuff.

Endless legend seems OK but I never got around to playing it.

Humankind caught my attention much more! I wouldn't mind them taking the Humankind basis, and using that to develop more out-there games with a humankind sequel every now and then to reel in civ players like me.

A question on world generation: what map size works best with how many players? I've tried a few settings now, sometimes the map feels too cramped (esp with new world on) and sometimes it felt so sparsely populated I didn't meat another player until well into the classical era.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chadzok posted:

. There is so much from Endless Legend missing - the weaving of narratives and RPG mechanics (we couldn't have had famous figures from each culture as playable hero/general type units?) the personality of the planet/landscape (I mean, what was wrong with the summer/winter cycle that it would be completely ditched?), the asymmetric main factions, the interesting and varied minor factions..

Now you mention it there's a very impressive character creator and the person you create there is then used for nothing afaik. "Oh look you changed costume with your culture"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Now you mention it there's a very impressive character creator and the person you create there is then used for nothing afaik. "Oh look you changed costume with your culture"

you get a lil animation during diplomacy

I think it's just multiplayer fluff, they have MTX for (bugged) sale from day 1 and multiplayer drives those sales

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The character you make is used on the diplomacy screen (face, hair, costume colour etc), but their clothes change with cultures.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Conversely, I have no real interest in the endless space stuff.

Endless legend seems OK but I never got around to playing it.

Humankind caught my attention much more! I wouldn't mind them taking the Humankind basis, and using that to develop more out-there games with a humankind sequel every now and then to reel in civ players like me.

A question on world generation: what map size works best with how many players? I've tried a few settings now, sometimes the map feels too cramped (esp with new world on) and sometimes it felt so sparsely populated I didn't meat another player until well into the classical era.

Your enjoyment of this is certainly going to depend on how much you liked the Endless games.

Personally thought Endless Space was trash and Endless Legend was okay except the AI could never cope.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Should I be slamming down as many outposts as I can in the early game? How many actual cities should I be building (instead of absorbing outposts into my capital)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My tutorial game was me focusing on Influence then Science and I was slamming down outposts to claim all the land I could before converting one into my second city. It made the later game a breeze.

But now I'm realizing the tutorial game doesn't actually end so I'm a bit upset at sinking so many hours into it yesterday. Might as well finish filling out the tech tree and popping as many achievements as I can while I'm up here.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

SirSamVimes posted:

Should I be slamming down as many outposts as I can in the early game? How many actual cities should I be building (instead of absorbing outposts into my capital)

I've been sticking with attaching two outposts per city.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Communist Bear posted:

Your enjoyment of this is certainly going to depend on how much you liked the Endless games.

Personally thought Endless Space was trash and Endless Legend was okay except the AI could never cope.

I already bought humankind and I'm enjoying it :v:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

SirSamVimes posted:

So far (beginning of medieval) I’ve been building to my city cap + 1. After that the influence cost for being over the cap is too much to handle at the moment. Then I’ve just been claiming territory around those cities, especially if they have resources, and slowly integrating it into my cities. 2 additional territories you can get to pretty quickly, so I’ve tried getting two on every city before a third on any of them.

I did slow down once the independent cities sprung up because it became harder to hold some territories against the aggressive ones.

No idea if this is correct or not but it seems pretty good so far?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Check out the top-right corner of the UI, there'll be a counter for "city cap". At the start of the game it's 2, so try and find two decent cities and attach a couple of outposts to each if you can. Obviously don't if you can't take the stability hit.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Emperor difficulty is definitely hard, the AI trounced me first game and I've given up.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah you absolutely have to change the AI colors so there is no samey colors, I think 6 players is max that way

also I like to play so far zoomed in I still see the terrain, but then it's super hard to tell whats a district and whats just claimed (especially farm districts just look like the surrounding farms)

One of the filters on the bottom right causes districts to be outlined and have an icon in the center of the hex with it's type. it just shows that instead of all resources or every hex grid, I've just kept that permanently on as it doesn't look that bad and makes your districts (mostly) clear.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I've been playing on Metropolis difficulty and the AI seems fine so far - obviously I'm no good at the game yet but I don't feel like I'm running away with the game.

Looking it up, Metropolis difficulty is the closest to the AI getting no bonuses - they get a 5% bonus to food, industry, money and science, but that's basically nothing.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

This was my complaint in the Open Beta, on that map I colonized the entire new world and the mainland continent had exactly two resource deposits on it (or maybe it was just two luxuries? might've actually had more strategics been a while).

I was hoping the release version would have something like an "abundant" option for resource generation like in Civ, I haven't gotten to load this up yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Strategic resources in general seem more rare. On the other hand, acquiring them via trade doesn’t remove access to that resource from the seller, so one horse or one copper can serve as access for multiple empires.

The “problem” I guess is that you’re then more dependent on that empire and the trade routes can be pillaged or blocked. It seems deliberate enough that I imagine that kind of friction is intended.