Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

If I see love of it from anyone these days it's primarily 3.X and Pathfinder fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

dwarf74 posted:

You absolutely cannot, I agree. But if it was primarily grogs driving it, you'd nevertheless expect to see more of it in the groggier OSR games. It's not even in poo poo like LotFP, is it? I only remember the 9-square grid in OSRIC, which is explicitly an AD&D clone.
Eh, we're one of the few forums that still has a weird grudge from 5-8 years ago. That's why you'll still see a word from then used.
I also think when talking about 5e's design it's absolutely fair to still say grognards, because 1 of the 2 stated primary design goals was to appeal to them and bring them back. The other stated design goal was the mythical "modules make it the d&d for everyone!" so having ditched that it was strictly the regressive game for regressive gamers.
Ironically those same regressive people were also ditched when Hasbro being an actual corporation didn't just keep a niche game for them, but branched out and marketed to everyone and absolutely in 2018-2021 made WotC pretend the people specifically pandered to way back in 2012-2015 were flukes and "random playtesters we knew nothing about and never actually weighed the opinions of."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm a grog (see the Scarlet 'G' as my avatar that someone gave me years ago) and I am not a fan of 5e

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I kinda liked 5e. But it was more from the ideas and potential it had that it totally squandered by releasing like a single book every 15 months and the lead designer repeatedly and atrociously going to bat for a serial abuser.

now I run "d&d" in PF2E, which is weirdly awesome and exactly what 5E actually should have been all along, don't freaking @ me

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you liked 5e's ideas and potential, try checking out 2e where they came from. This isn't a snarky shitpost - the best 5e lore is legit just watered down 2e content.

13th Age also accomplished all the 5e design goals before they were stated.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Speaking of 13th Age, we're in the final 36 hours or so of the 13th Age Humble Bundle so you can pay ~$40 for all your 'DnD5e but better' needs.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

moths posted:

If you liked 5e's ideas and potential, try checking out 2e where they came from. This isn't a snarky shitpost - the best 5e lore is legit just watered down 2e content.

Any time I'm running something in 5e, I'm reading old 2e books for lore and ideas for sure. There's so much fun stuff to dig into.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

moths posted:

Did you mean to write "try checking out 4e where they came from"? The best 5e lore is legit just watered down 4e content. Meanwhile e.g. 2e brings us things like the Great Wheel with an Afterlife For Every Half-Alignment while the good parts of the cosmological lore that are places that you can visit and aren't tied to the alignment (Feywild/Shadowfell/Elemental Chaos) are straight from 4e.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I like the great wheel. I like how it felt interconnected and vast

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The great wheel is great

As a unicycle

For a clown to ride on

At the circus

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The great wheel is great

As a unicycle

For a clown to ride on

At the circus

Some day. Some day I will put the Dominions Clowns and their deep Clown Lore into an RPG.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the best alignment chart is the purist/neutral/radical grid, mostly because arguing about how pop tarts are a ravioli is more fun than arguing about how orcs are usually chaotic evil.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Night10194 posted:

Some day. Some day I will put the Dominions Clowns and their deep Clown Lore into an RPG.

Genuinely don't know if it would be better to be clowns or be the mortals who live among clowns.

(Clowns WOD splat)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

YMMV. For me it felt like nothing more than a box-ticking exercise that destroyed the mystical nature and variation I'd expect in there being different afterlives and narrowed things down both by the planes being "infinite" (and thus ultimately pretty homogenous) and by being complete rather than having the potential of new realms to explore.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Leraika posted:

the best alignment chart is the purist/neutral/radical grid, mostly because arguing about how pop tarts are a ravioli is more fun than arguing about how orcs are usually chaotic evil.

Orcs are clearly hurngry.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

neonchameleon posted:

YMMV. For me it felt like nothing more than a box-ticking exercise that destroyed the mystical nature and variation I'd expect in there being different afterlives and narrowed things down both by the planes being "infinite" (and thus ultimately pretty homogenous) and by being complete rather than having the potential of new realms to explore.
Yeah it's a very engineering major idea of a cosmology

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You joke, but the RPG Reich Star used Meyers-Briggs as a major part of character creation.

Sanguine's Albedo RPG as well.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The solution I like to go with for alignment is to have any divine magic that references good or evil work according to the moral code of the god who's providing it, and for every god to have their own moral code that's incompatible with every other god's.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Night10194 posted:

My Google-fu is weak. What are Dominions Clowns?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

Someone made a mod for a nation of clown for the grog-y multiplayer map game about warring gods, Dominions.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CitizenKeen posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902681&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Dominions is an impenetrable video game that makes excellent LPs

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I knew the word Dominion from two things: the original deck builder, and the impenetrable Goon-beloved god sim, and I thought "Clearly there are clowns in neither of these things."

Yup. Yup yup yup.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

side_burned posted:

Can you go into why its too many stats?
There's no correct number of stats for ever tabletop RPG. That said, I've never seen a game with more than 6 stats where I felt like they were all necessary.

Most games separate STR and CON because that's how D&D does it. That makes sense in a game where Melee Combat, Carrying Stuff, and Forcing Doors Open are key tasks. But most games, even most D&D games, aren't set entirely in a dungeon. D&D 4th Edition really illustrates the problem--they changed the rules so that various sword-wizard classes can make melee attacks using the same stat they use to cast spells. That was a good idea, but it revealed how STR is vestigial for anyone who isn't a martial melee fighter. STR and CON each get one skill associated with them. (The flipside of this particular example is that CON is usually a purely defensive attribute; you don't roll it to actively attempt to do anything. You just roll it to not die--assuming you even roll it, instead of the stat just factoring into hit points and other derived stats like saving throws.)

Now, you can argue that combining STR and CON isn't "realistic," but neither is a DEX stat that covers every type of physical coordination, an INT stat that covers every kind of intelligence, and so on down the line.

Some games try to make a given stat (and it usually is STR) more valuable with what I'll call "taxes." Recoil rules for guns, minimum STR requirements to wield a weapon or wear heavy armor, etc. The first problem with this is that you're not rewarding a high stat, you're just punishing a low stat. "I have high STR so I don't take a penalty to fire a machinegun" isn't something the player characters are actively doing. The second problem is that you've added fussy little rules; the kind of rules that don't really impact gameplay if you forget to use them.

Another problem is that like Alhazred said, too many stats means the players are stretched thin when creating characters. They're going to want to have some high stats and dump others, and it creates absurd situations where they're really good at a couple skills but really lovely at other skills that seem like they should be closely related.

Now in percentile-based systems, you can do stuff like have a Wrestling skill where the base chance is (2*STR + DEX) and a Martial Arts skill where it's (2*DEX + STR) and so on. Maybe both INT and WIS are important for First Aid, you get the idea. But this is usually done for the sake of "realism." This also creates room for oddball stats like LUCK that can't really stand on their own--but then you have to ask why you're using that stat at all.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 18, 2021

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

CitizenKeen posted:

I knew the word Dominion from two things: the original deck builder, and the impenetrable Goon-beloved god sim, and I thought "Clearly there are clowns in neither of these things."

Yup. Yup yup yup.
*calliope music starts*

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
God dammit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mellonbread posted:

I'm always fascinated when people on this site use the term "grogs". Of all the RPG boards I've ever posted on, this is the only one that still regularly fights edition wars.

dwarf74 posted:

I don't think most OSR games nowadays are even bothering with alignment - particularly of the two-axis tic-tac-toe kind. So it's an especially weird complaint, imo.
I don't think TG is mad at actual grognards (e.g. old guys posting on Dragonsfoot) because they mostly keep to themselves and don't go out of their way to be obnoxious. Rather it's the unhinged anti-4e partisans (e.g. Trollman) and creepazoids (e.g. Raggi and Venger Satanis) who became the stock-in-trade of grognards.txt.

Xiahou Dun posted:

At least when I use it I don’t mean edition slap fight stuff but am specifically mocking toxic nostalgia. For me it’s the difference between just preferring an older game or whatever and preferring something just because it’s old. And especially people who call changes a “slap in the face” or whatever.
Exactly.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think you can use OSR and grogs interchangeably.
Idunno that the OSR still exists as a "movement" or whatever. People say "old-school" to signify that their game is inspired by old editions of D&D or other games from the 70s, and beyond that it seems to have broken down into smaller scenes with more specific aesthetics and goals.

dwarf74 posted:

You absolutely cannot, I agree. But if it was primarily grogs driving it, you'd nevertheless expect to see more of it in the groggier OSR games. It's not even in poo poo like LotFP, is it?
LotFP is loathsome, but its take on 3-point alignment is one of its few interesting features.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CHIMlord posted:

Sanguine's Albedo RPG as well.

The main thing it does there is determine if you have +4/+0, +3/+1, or +2/+2 or vice versa spread across your Clout/Drive stats.

Which is significant, don't get me wrong. Both those stat pools matter a ton since spending the Social ones is how you lead people (which you must do as every PC is an officer, with highly useful attached NPC squaddies who will panic and go to poo poo if the PC can't lead them) and the Drive points go down every time disturbing things happen in combat and you need them to boost most of your combat rolls or 'do something difficult under fire' checks. But all it is is effectively distributing some points, just attached to a psych thing because in-setting the dominant government loves psych metrics.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I am now legally obliged to deluge you with a sampling of clown units from the clown mod for noted game for clowns: Dominions 5.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's true, a joke by a 6 meter clown is insanely funny.

E: The power of Deep Clown Lore is that A: It's funny and B: It's actually extremely internally consistent with itself somehow and produces a surprisingly coherent nation and C: It's written in exactly the same tone as other Dominions Lore, which is usually talking about like, a hellish centaur who is eternally on fire or something except here it's about how clowns with big hats become central to mythology.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 19, 2021

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Fall from Heaven mod for Civ IV also has a clown civilization. But their flavor is more about... living in a society.

https://fallfromheaven.fandom.com/wiki/Balseraphs

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

the Great Wheel is good for basically the same reason that Moorcock's Law and Chaos are good: not as a comprehensive sorting rubric for real people, but for a representation of supernatural forces that shaped the universe and who should both be regarded as inimical to and enemies of (demi-)humanity

people bitch about the Blood War and I'm like, are you loving kidding, a millennia-old Hatfields and McCoys feud between scheming Mephistopheles-style demons and RIP AND TEAR demons is hilarious

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the answer to "in Gygax's conception, Lawful Good is genocidal tyrants and Chaotic Good is libertarians" is not to simply erase it, but to lean into those factions just being vaguely angelic- and fey-flavored villains. get all Final Fantasy on that poo poo

similarly anyone who looks at Modrons and thinks "this should simply be discarded and forgotten about" is just wrong

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the answer to "in Gygax's conception, Lawful Good is genocidal tyrants and Chaotic Good is libertarians" is not to simply erase it, but to lean into those factions just being vaguely angelic- and fey-flavored villains. get all megaten on that poo poo

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yugoloths are super-redundant, though.

Just say the first thing the devils and demons did is wipe them all out just to clear the ground for their war.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
The Great Wheel is terrible because it's alternately incoherent, repetitive, and completely irrelevant to the actual game. All the Inner Planes and transitive planes are infinitely-empty wastelands of pointless homogeneity (and a third of them immediately kill you upon arrival), there are maybe two big-picture ideas ("a big hole in the ground" and "eternal torment/imprisonment, but literally anyone can use portals to come and go as they please") stretched out across all the Lower Planes, and all the Upper Planes are fundamentally dull by design. It's not a coincidence that the most interesting and memorable parts of Planescape are the parts that are entirely original to Planescape and have little or nothing to do with the Great Wheel cosmology as a whole.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How dare you refer to the plane of salt as boring

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

There's no correct number of stats for ever tabletop RPG. That said, I've never seen a game with more than 6 stats where I felt like they were all necessary.

Most games separate STR and CON because that's how D&D does it. That makes sense in a game where Melee Combat, Carrying Stuff, and Forcing Doors Open are key tasks. But most games, even most D&D games, aren't set entirely in a dungeon. D&D 4th Edition really illustrates the problem--they changed the rules so that various sword-wizard classes can make melee attacks using the same stat they use to cast spells. That was a good idea, but it revealed how STR is vestigial for anyone who isn't a martial melee fighter. STR and CON each get one skill associated with them. (The flipside of this particular example is that CON is usually a purely defensive attribute; you don't roll it to actively attempt to do anything. You just roll it to not die--assuming you even roll it, instead of the stat just factoring into hit points and other derived stats like saving throws.)

Now, you can argue that combining STR and CON isn't "realistic," but neither is a DEX stat that covers every type of physical coordination, an INT stat that covers every kind of intelligence, and so on down the line.

Some games try to make a given stat (and it usually is STR) more valuable with what I'll call "taxes." Recoil rules for guns, minimum STR requirements to wield a weapon or wear heavy armor, etc. The first problem with this is that you're not rewarding a high stat, you're just punishing a low stat. "I have high STR so I don't take a penalty to fire a machinegun" isn't something the player characters are actively doing. The second problem is that you've added fussy little rules; the kind of rules that don't really impact gameplay if you forget to use them.

Another problem is that like Alhazred said, too many stats means the players are stretched thin when creating characters. They're going to want to have some high stats and dump others, and it creates absurd situations where they're really good at a couple skills but really lovely at other skills that seem like they should be closely related.

Now in percentile-based systems, you can do stuff like have a Wrestling skill where the base chance is (2*STR + DEX) and a Martial Arts skill where it's (2*DEX + STR) and so on. Maybe both INT and WIS are important for First Aid, you get the idea. But this is usually done for the sake of "realism." This also creates room for oddball stats like LUCK that can't really stand on their own--but then you have to ask why you're using that stat at all.
This is a good post

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the answer to "in Gygax's conception, Lawful Good is genocidal tyrants and Chaotic Good is libertarians" is not to simply erase it, but to lean into those factions just being vaguely angelic- and fey-flavored villains. get all Final Fantasy on that poo poo

similarly anyone who looks at Modrons and thinks "this should simply be discarded and forgotten about" is just wrong

We had a genuinely great time with a 7th Sea-esque setting invaded by all this bullshit for like, the one D&D/Pathfinder/later 13th Age game I really ran. Fighting off D&D Good and D&D Evil and settling Orc refugees in the not-PLC and going on their own adventures into Sigil and beyond after their world got hooked up to the Great Wheel.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

These young people could not agree more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gtrmp posted:

The Great Wheel is terrible because it's alternately incoherent, repetitive, and completely irrelevant to the actual game. All the Inner Planes and transitive planes are infinitely-empty wastelands of pointless homogeneity (and a third of them immediately kill you upon arrival), there are maybe two big-picture ideas ("a big hole in the ground" and "eternal torment/imprisonment, but literally anyone can use portals to come and go as they please") stretched out across all the Lower Planes, and all the Upper Planes are fundamentally dull by design. It's not a coincidence that the most interesting and memorable parts of Planescape are the parts that are entirely original to Planescape and have little or nothing to do with the Great Wheel cosmology as a whole.
My favorite thing about The Great Wheel is how so many official D&D campaign settings either actively ignore it and have their own planar overstructures (Eberron and its orrey, Forgotten Realms and its tree, Dragonlance and the Abyss) or else exist in weird edge-case special states (Ravenloft, Dark Sun) that actively refuse to engage with The Great Wheel.