Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Any good resources on all the parties' housing policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

The Nova Scotia election upset is making me really nervous about the Federal now.

Fwiw, my understanding is that in the case of NS it’s a fairly red Tory vs a centrist Lib. Houston campaigned on increasing healthcare spending. And, it looks like the NDP are in opposition so that’s nice. Never mind, outdated info

Starks fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 18, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nova Scotia election results coming in and it's unsurprisingly swinging back and forth between Grits and Cons.

I really wish the older generation would just loving die or the youth would get more active in voting. It depresses me to no end when I see how many people vote for absolute weasels like the cons. Comes from growing up in Renfrew County, I guess, where nothing good is ever allowed to happen and people vote for anyone with a C in front of their name.

Like, how do people look at the way that conservstive provinces have been running poo poo into the ground and then say "more of that, please!"

Not gonna stand up for the NS Cons but they're pretty milquetoast even by Canadian political standards. An NDP win would similarly mean not a whole lot; picture the Alberta NDP with a smaller budget.

This federal election feels positively monumental compared to the sack of indifference that was the NS election.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
CBC reporting that Iain Rankin has called Tim Houston to concede.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
I’m reading that the NS Libs campaigned on massive budget cuts, which the Tories countered by promising large-scale spending on health care. How did they manage to get outflanked to the left by the Conservatives? Are they nuts?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

St. Dogbert posted:

I’m reading that the NS Libs campaigned on massive budget cuts, which the Tories countered by promising large-scale spending on health care. How did they manage to get outflanked to the left by the Conservatives? Are they nuts?

they did. The Cons were promising big spending to fix the doctor shortage and elder care, while the liberals were talking about how "more money won't fix the problem", despite NS being one of the oldest provinces. They went into the election with the LIbs looking to take a majority, but it tanked post debates.

Once again, the Libs burn out with their own hubris on unfulfilled promises.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I can’t emphasize enough how arbitrary the Con/Lib/NDP names are here in Nova Scotia. And I don’t mean that in the “liberal tory same old story :smug:” way, I mean literally each of the three outflanks the other in either direction every couple decades. It’s a weird place.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

Flames 1 - Canucks 0

This should have been the new thread title :colbert:

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I can’t emphasize enough how arbitrary the Con/Lib/NDP names are here in Nova Scotia. And I don’t mean that in the “liberal tory same old story :smug:” way, I mean literally each of the three outflanks the other in either direction every couple decades. It’s a weird place.

That’s because they all promise to help the economy except in Nova Scotia that’a just a town called “Economy”

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I've heard that Atlantic Canada is the last place in the country that has honest to god Red Tories. Apparently the Ontario PC's used to be the same way in the 70s and 80's.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lets just hope they actually do put more money in the hospitals cause we've seen what these fuckers can do in alberta, manitoba and ontario when they start cutting

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Beelzebufo posted:

they did. The Cons were promising big spending to fix the doctor shortage and elder care, while the liberals were talking about how "more money won't fix the problem", despite NS being one of the oldest provinces. They went into the election with the LIbs looking to take a majority, but it tanked post debates.

Once again, the Libs burn out with their own hubris on unfulfilled promises.

Looking at the map, it looks like there was a pretty stark urban/rural divide. I’m guessing the rural areas are feeling the brunt of the doctor shortage?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

I've heard that Atlantic Canada is the last place in the country that has honest to god Red Tories. Apparently the Ontario PC's used to be the same way in the 70s and 80's.

Yeah, Bill Davis just died and there were a bunch of memorial pieces talking about how his approaches to governing were basically completely forgotten by the Mike Harris-onwards Tories.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Starks posted:

Looking at the map, it looks like there was a pretty stark urban/rural divide. I’m guessing the rural areas are feeling the brunt of the doctor shortage?

Yes. IIRC it's something like 60,000 people in NS that don't have a family doctor right now.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

That’s because they all promise to help the economy except in Nova Scotia that’a just a town called “Economy”

And that town is owned by the Irvings.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

ToxicAcne posted:

Yep, here in PEI the PCs - who are 1 seat short of a majority - are definitely Red Tories and are much closer aligned to the federal Liberals than the federal Conservatives, or their western provincial counterparts for that matter.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Laughing at how quickly we went from "no way will people vote con after all this bungling" to "okay but these cons aren't that bad"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Wasn't that who McKay was trying to get on board for his leadership campaign?

I will say the CPC would be doing much better if he was leader

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Bleck posted:

Laughing at how quickly we went from "no way will people vote con after all this bungling" to "okay but these cons aren't that bad"

ACAB of course, but my point is that PCs winning in NS isn't some sign that suddenly they're aligned with Kenney and Ford.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yeah I thought Conservatives in NS was a weird result but I don't know poo poo about maritime politics so yeah.

Good luck to them in any case, things are not great in atlantic canada health care and economics wise.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Tax-and-spend.... tories?

Am I still asleep?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The Maritimes never really left the 1980s

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/LJDYGK/status/1427741340641767429

This is so stupid. You know they're gonna come out and blame some marketing company and pretend they never saw these before they were mailed out.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The Liberals were being hammered hard by both the NDP and Conservatives in NS for not supporting the medical system. I don't know how they could possibly think it was a good idea to be weak on healthcare while we are still trapped between waves of the pandemic. I can only assume they needed a vacation and were trying their hardest to lose the election.

It's a shame because all things considered the pandemic was being handled pretty well, and now I hope we don't start going the way of Toronto or Alberta with regards to pandemic response.

I am also now mentally preparing myself for the upcoming federal Conservative majority. If anyone can do it, the Liberals can. They've already started fumbling it with their extremely transparent excuses for why they think an election is needed.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Nice Van My Man posted:

The Liberals were being hammered hard by both the NDP and Conservatives in NS for not supporting the medical system. I don't know how they could possibly think it was a good idea to be weak on healthcare while we are still trapped between waves of the pandemic. I can only assume they needed a vacation and were trying their hardest to lose the election.

It's a shame because all things considered the pandemic was being handled pretty well, and now I hope we don't start going the way of Toronto or Alberta with regards to pandemic response.

I am also now mentally preparing myself for the upcoming federal Conservative majority. If anyone can do it, the Liberals can. They've already started fumbling it with their extremely transparent excuses for why they think an election is needed.

It's almost like the Libs realized that letting the NDP hold the balance of power means we're going to get too much progressive legislation so lets roll the dice and get either a Liberal Majority or let the Tories form government, either way, capital wins the political long game which is what this is all really about.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Well with NS it's also that they have been in power since 2013 and never fulfilled any of their promises on healthcare. Rankin was basically trying to find some spin for not spending money to fix the problem for 8 years.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

This is so stupid. You know they're gonna come out and blame some marketing company and pretend they never saw these before they were mailed out.

So what are the chances the Tories just say "gently caress it" and send everyone who doesn't "pay" their fake invoices to collections because "gently caress you, give me money"?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mr clean continues to not mandate vaccines for his candidates and says they should get daily covid tests instead.

So stupid and cruel, I see. Not that I'm going to get upset about antivaxxers getting getting brains scraped by a swap daily, mind you.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Love to be reactive instead of proactive in the face of a pandemic what could go wrong

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Starks posted:

The province is feeling it. Two news stories that really hurt the Liberals in this election were one guy laying in his driveway with a broken hip for 3 loving hours waiting on an ambulance. The other was a man dying after waiting two hours in triage.

I'm not in an especially rural area, but last week a friend sat in emerg for 8 hours in a pool of his own blood waiting to see someone. He told the guy at the desk and they just shrugged and asked if he wanted a paper towel or something.

I think at this point a lot of people didn't have much faith in the libs to fix poo poo, and the cons were able to capitalize on it in a big way.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Thermos posted:

The province is feeling it. Two news stories that really hurt the Liberals in this election were one guy laying in his driveway with a broken hip for 3 loving hours waiting on an ambulance. The other was a man dying after waiting two hours in triage.

I'm not in an especially rural area, but last week a friend sat in emerg for 8 hours in a pool of his own blood waiting to see someone. He told the guy at the desk and they just shrugged and asked if he wanted a paper towel or something.

I think at this point a lot of people didn't have much faith in the libs to fix poo poo, and the cons were able to capitalize on it in a big way.

In light of this context I'm not AS worried about the NS election impacting the federal. It's a strange world we live in where PC's are actually promising to improve healthcare funding and hire more doctors though!
Usually (in Ontario) a PC govt means healthcare CUTS, firing nurses and closing hospitals.

Having said that I still think Erin O'Toole is going to come up from out of nowhere and win a majority because of NDP/Liberal vote splitting.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Less Fat Luke posted:

So, could they get sued for this poo poo, or will it just be optically terrible for them?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

RuBisCO posted:

Love to be reactive instead of proactive in the face of a pandemic what could go wrong

Since the start of the pandemic I've always said the policy of our governments has been seemingly based around a ideology that it's incredibly irresponsible to close the barn door until an independent body has totally verified that yes, all the horses have run away. Closing barn doors before all the horses are totally confirmed as gone is jumping the gun and putting potentially unnecessary wear and tear on our provinces barn doors.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Can't wait for Maga Max to declare masks and covid as partisan issues so Elections Canada can forbid us from talking about them

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wasn't that who McKay was trying to get on board for his leadership campaign?

I will say the CPC would be doing much better if he was leader

I genuinely believe they'd be in safe minority territory under him - I know lots of people who have only voted Liberal or NDP that would be keen on a red Tory (largely due to Trudeau fatigue).

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/ianfroese/status/1428072502543228937?s=20

She's running

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

She's dumb as gently caress and basically rose up doing nothing. Maybe if she becomes leader she can be exposed for being an absolute loving fraud.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

She's dumb as gently caress and basically rose up doing nothing.

My favourite part is Stefanson saying that she will immediately scrap the wildly unpopular Bill 64 (The PC Education Modernization Act) and then Cliff Cullen (current Minister of Education and primary voice of Bill 64) threw his support behind her. That certainly sends a message.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/bkives/status/1428075838721839106?s=20

Can't wait to give KPMG another 100 million dollars for a report that says healthcare is busted and we need to close another ER or 2 to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

My favourite part is Stefanson saying that she will immediately scrap the wildly unpopular Bill 64 (The PC Education Modernization Act) and then Cliff Cullen (current Minister of Education and primary voice of Bill 64) threw his support behind her. That certainly sends a message.

Cliff Cullen is dumb as a board, he's only in cabinet so they can say they have Westman represented and he will literally just repeat whatever someone tells him to say.