Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Does Legends take place during the time of pokemon-human marriage. Is there a dating sim element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Raylax posted:

Does Legends take place during the time of pokemon-human marriage. Is there a dating sim element.

Sinnoh used to be a very... rural region

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It takes place in the time when humans and pokemon "lived separately" so maybe you get to be the first person to marry a pokemon

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Ursaring boyfriend

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Harrow posted:

Pokemon Legends looks sick as hell

All they had to show me was flying, riding, and swimming around on Pokemon and I was sold
I might be the weirdo here but I'm mostly excited for a game where pokemon can actually be dangerous outside of the pokedex

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I might be the weirdo here but I'm mostly excited for a game where pokemon can actually be dangerous outside of the pokedex

Yeah I actually love the idea that wild pokemon can just kick your rear end if you get too close without your own pokemon to defend you

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

IronicDongz posted:

After several games of just hearing it happen, or seeing it in spinoff media, it's definitely interesting to see that happen in a game for yourself.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
You throw a pokeball, it misses, and now luxray is going to beat you to death

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like the concept of Arceus but I do not trust Gamefreak at all.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/Kekeflipnote/status/1427997699081740296

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Araxxor posted:

After several games of just hearing it happen, or seeing it in spinoff media, it's definitely interesting to see that happen in a game for yourself.

It's going to expose the lie every pokedex entry has that's like "this pokemon will tear your brain in half with psychic powers before igniting every flammable surface in a mile radius"

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I hope we get to see drifloon just randomly abduct children

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

came here to post this, what a loving wild clip. Smooth jazz, saccharine read, "possessed by the restless souls of other Basculin"

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1427329315755200515?s=20
Has Chimchar been just endlessly farting this whole time?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Very disappointed by the fact that Arceus doesn't seem to be a true open world. It seems more like "levels" you can travel to. So the sense of exploration is more limited.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Crosspeice posted:

That last point has always been the biggest indication that we might get more curated Pokedexes and metagames going forward, even if we have the console ready Pokemon in previous games. Obviously the big money makers like most legendaries and popular Pokemon will almost always be included. But perhaps we might get Stantler in one game every 10 years, as a treat.
Looks like they decided to give us something special for our Stantler treat for this decade.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Countblanc posted:

It's going to expose the lie every pokedex entry has that's like "this pokemon will tear your brain in half with psychic powers before igniting every flammable surface in a mile radius"

I think in the last movie I saw where they killed Ash for a second it took a dozen pokemon doing a combination attack of their best moves, twice, to mortally wound but not quite outright kill him.

Thus, clearly pokedex poo poo happens all the time but humans have a HP stat that makes Blissey's weep.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The main thing I'm wondering is what's stopping me from just immediately throwing out a pokeball and totally ignoring the part where the wild pokemon beats me to death if a battle starts as soon as you toss one

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The main thing I'm wondering is what's stopping me from just immediately throwing out a pokeball and totally ignoring the part where the wild pokemon beats me to death if a battle starts as soon as you toss one

It looks like throwing a pokeball isn't completely instant so if you get caught off-guard you get got, I think?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Catch rates or that Pokemon is flagged as forced to battle I guess.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you don't go hand to hand against a Machamp they call you a coward in the home base

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Mr. Nemo posted:

If you don't go hand to hand against a Machamp they call you a coward in the home base

But he has more hands than me

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Caidin posted:

Thus, clearly pokedex poo poo happens all the time but humans have a HP stat that makes Blissey's weep.

I mean, given what we've seen, I think it's evident that there will, in fact, be an HP stat of some sort for the player character in Arceus, not just their Pokemon.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I wonder if there's going to be a much heavier emphasis on resource management in this one - the distance you can safely travel from base being largely determined by conserving items, HP & PP, so if you can avoid entering battles it can be beneficial to do so if you're trying to maximize the explored area.

That'll probably get kicked once flying enters the mix, but that feels like something they'll give you in the mid-to-late game once you've already seen a lot of the world on foot

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The new designs look pretty good and at this point I’m honestly looking forward to Legends more than the DP remakes.

In less pleasant news, James’ VA from the anime has covid:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-08-18/voice-actor-shinichiro-miki-diagnosed-with-covid-19-but-has-no-symptoms-now/.176395

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pokemon Legends Nuzlocke but if the player dies the entire run is over.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Pokemon Legends Nuzlocke but if the player dies you die for real

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's so funny to me to see over the course of my lifetime the discourse go from people hating the gen 4 starters to 13,000 people on twitter hyped over a screenshot of chimchar

just like with every set past gen 1

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way the official site says Wyrdeer is Normal/Psychic, Basculegion is Water/Ghost, Hisuian Braviary is Psychic/Flying, and Hisuian Growlithe is Fire/Rock.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the originals came out when I was squarely in the target audience range so the nostalgia factor is insane for me and I'm extremely excited

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I love Hisuian Growlithe's rock type giving it more of a connection to foo dogs

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hisuian Growlithe also looks like a Shisa, which raises questions about how we haven’t seen Okinawa as a region yet (unless that’s the Sevii Islands)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Carlosologist posted:

the originals came out when I was squarely in the target audience range so the nostalgia factor is insane for me and I'm extremely excited

I was 13 but I'm hyped as hell

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Carlosologist posted:

Hisuian Growlithe also looks like a Shisa, which raises questions about how we haven’t seen Okinawa as a region yet (unless that’s the Sevii Islands)

I thought Hoenn was all of Okinawa?

Edit: Ah, Kyushu.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Carlosologist posted:

I played the originals as a kid and was in undergrad when D/P/Pt came out and had tons of friends who played them, which was a blast. I think there’s a well-known comic about exactly my journey? The person is probably my age (35, ugh)

I will definitely be getting Legends but I’m still on the fence about BDSP.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Haven’t played Pokémon since Su/Mo but the d/p remakes having the platinum dex and Legends looking good has me excited for this franchise in a way I haven’t been in a while. I wanna hang out with my good poke-buddies again.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Maybe those entries were written by the mc of the legends games telling tall tales so they would be rewarded better?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I played the originals as a kid and was in undergrad when D/P/Pt came out and had tons of friends who played them, which was a blast. I think there’s a well-known comic about exactly my journey? The person is probably my age (35, ugh)

I will definitely be getting Legends but I’m still on the fence about BDSP.

Yeah it's this one:

I was always going to get both but I'm much more excited about them now. I still have doubts BDSP will be worth $60 but it's not like SwSh was (:worms:) so whatever. I barely buy games anymore anyway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Sinnoh remakes are looking nice but I'm still on the fence about one thing. The original Sinnoh games were the absolute nadir of HMs. After being free of HMs for so long, I can't go back.

I want to know if HMs are still a thing. At the least, if they are still in, I want to know if we'll be able to access our PC boxes from anywhere like in LGPE and SwSh. At least in the latter case I wouldn't have to drag around a useless HM mule everywhere and could just take it out of my boxes as needed while I go about my business.

If HMs are still in as normal and you can only access your boxes at Pokemon Centers then... I am not buying a Pokemon game for the first time like.... ever.

Legends Arceus on the other hand, I have no reservations about whatsoever. Heck yeah game looks great! It's like Pokemon with a bit of Monster Hunter in it and I am HERE for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
BDSP isn’t activating the nostalgic part of my lizard brain. The Platinum dex is good and the wild area in the Underground is an improvement but it just looks so… safe? It’s going to be my first mainline skip ever.

Legends looks nice but what’s the point? I don’t really care to fill out the dex as the main goal. I love that they made something interesting out of Stantler and Basculin though.